Future Update Discussions

Cowman_133

Mod Kelpie confirmed via twitter today is update day. I asked for an ETA, but no response so far.

If the ETA is today odds are 2pm-4pm GMT since thats pretty much when they always update, but anything more precise is hard to give when they have barely started their working day lol

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Mod Kelpie confirmed via twitter today is update day. I asked for an ETA, but no response so far.

If the ETA is today odds are 2pm-4pm GMT since thats pretty much when they always update, but anything more precise is hard to give when they have barely started their working day lol

Ehm they are cutting BXPW 30 mins short ="D

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I felt the pangs of irony that just as I clicked post on that and went bk to rs the countdown appeared....

='D

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I have to correct myself. They are extending the BXPW to 2 PM GMT:

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=OSIruIlfF0Q/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?15,16,633,65307992

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

As I've said before, if you want a difficult boss or something, then that means it won't be consistently profitable. and then it'll probably be considered inefficient and dead content.

hard boss need good reward and it wont be dead content.
hard boss drop good item -> many ppl want to kill him -> he  is too hard for many -> less ppl killing him -> price of god item rise -> more ppl want to kill him... 

even easy boss with bad reward will be dead content, dead content is not determined by how hard it is but by how rewarding it is.

you kinda contradicted yourself. bolded the parts where you did. like I said: not consistently profitable.

uh no not really

I think you just misinterpreted.

The idea that's trying to get pushed across here is that if someone really is that hard to kill then there will be less rare drops. These rare drops will be wanted = $$$

When people realize the money making potential they'll go and try to boss but get their butts whooped

I have to correct myself. They are extending the BXPW to 2 PM GMT:

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=OSIruIlfF0Q/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?15,16,633,65307992

twas a good weekend for most

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

As I've said before, if you want a difficult boss or something, then that means it won't be consistently profitable. and then it'll probably be considered inefficient and dead content.

hard boss need good reward and it wont be dead content.
hard boss drop good item -> many ppl want to kill him -> he  is too hard for many -> less ppl killing him -> price of god item rise -> more ppl want to kill him... 

even easy boss with bad reward will be dead content, dead content is not determined by how hard it is but by how rewarding it is.

you kinda contradicted yourself. bolded the parts where you did. like I said: not consistently profitable.

uh no not really

I think you just misinterpreted.

The idea that's trying to get pushed across here is that if someone really is that hard to kill then there will be less rare drops. These rare drops will be wanted = $$$

When people realize the money making potential they'll go and try to boss but get their butts whooped

Yeah. Like I said-- not consistently profitable. Hard to make money when the boss is beyond your skill level

77yLQy8.png

78Rpr.png

EDIT: Seems I missed some info:

On Thursday 00:00-23:59; Sunbathe, Sharkgloves and 250k are on TH.

On Friday 00:00-23:59; Dragon Ceremonial Gear and 250k are on TH.

On Saturday 00:00-23:59; Swagger Stick, Swag Bag, Flying Goblin Hat, Auspicious Katana and 250k are on TH.

On Sunday 00:00-Monday 23:59; all of above are on TH.

Account Help

As for XP caps, that's just a drastic measure to do this. It's no different from the 200M cap or the 2147M cap, they are all arbitrary. There's nothing selfish or irrational, necessarily, about them.

They are arbitrary, but that doesn't mean you change them any which way you want. I have put a lot of effort into getting my skills to higher amounts of XP, if they all got capped at a low amount such as 13M I would extremely unimpressed. I don't see how you can't see that limit the gameplay of a very large majority of the players is selfish. I understand you want to the game to go certain directions, but is ruining the game for others the way to accomplish that?

Basically, yeah you could pick any number of XP as the cap. The cap itself is a goal, but its more about accumulating the XP and fighting ranks against other people. If the cap got raised to 2B it would be kinda ridiculous, but it wouldn't hinder my style of play. Capping the xp very low would essentially cause me to either quit or drastically lessen my playtime.

And what would you do about people who already have exp past the new cap?

Let's just invalidate everything they've done since 99 and delete their exp, expecting them not to care?

Capping xp at 99 would only work if it had been that way since the start.

Let's just invalidate everything they've done since 99 and delete their exp, expecting them not to care?

You couldn't without alienating the player base and depreciating their personal and community character value.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

@ Ping

Jagex has continually depreciated levels and achievements over the years without much hesitation, whether that be with very generous new training methods, bonus weekends, effigies, SOF and what not. And yet we are still here. Yeah, people who have gotten 200Ms would definitely be alienated, but their plight is no worse than the tens of thousands who got difficult and expensive skills such as Summoning, Herblore, or Prayer to 99, only to watch Jagex hand millions of free experience points to thousands of other people who got it through bonus weekends. Or the people like me who got 120 Dungeoneering pre-EoC, only for Jagex to make Dungeoneering extremely easy with EoC, improve XP rates, give challenges, give SOF stuff, and then on top of that have a 72 hour bonus weekend where some 1,800 people got 120 Dungeoneering for considerably less effort than I ever put in, for a fraction of the time.There's a dozen other such examples. So to argue that I am advocating for something unprecedented isn't entirely accurate.

Simply because RS hasn't always been this way isn't really a compelling argument. A game must adapt to changing situations and circumstances. We have, in my view, a pretty bad metagame which I'd like to see altering. And if that includes introducing a new game mechanic (XP cap), then so be it. It's no different from how flower games were allowed for so long, and then stopped suddenly by the changing of a game mechanic when Jagex found them contrary to the spirit of the game. Were you also saying back then, "you shouldn't do that, because that's not how it was from the start?"

@W aldo

hey are arbitrary, but that doesn't mean you change them any which way you want. I have put a lot of effort into getting my skills to higher amounts of XP, if they all got capped at a low amount such as 13M I would extremely unimpressed. I don't see how you can't see that limit the gameplay of a very large majority of the players is selfish. I understand you want to the game to go certain directions, but is ruining the game for others the way to accomplish that?

Basically, yeah you could pick any number of XP as the cap. The cap itself is a goal, but its more about accumulating the XP and fighting ranks against other people. If the cap got raised to 2B it would be kinda ridiculous, but it wouldn't hinder my style of play. Capping the xp very low would essentially cause me to either quit or drastically lessen my playtime.

Gameplay is by definition limiting. No game permits everything, and no entity can allow everything; to have some sort of identity, you must exclude something. Every game has a metagame which encourages certain things, and discourages other things, through official and informal incentives, pressures, rewards, penalties and so forth. I find the current metagame to be very limiting with its constant pressure for more experience (and I am inclined to believe that eventually levels past 99 will have useful content, thus forcing us all to get them). I am no more selfish than the current cast of people who advocate for a metagame which is focused on XP.

^Even outside some of them big payout xp things they've done many things that devalue skills and the work put in to them.

I got my cooking 99 way back when it was one of the rarest because you had to use each and every fish individually on the fire/range to cook it, then along comes cook-x (and skillcapes) and now cooking is one of the common as muck easiest to get 99s.

The same can be applied to almost any of the make-x interface arrivals, not to mention more afkable methods (ivy, bonfires, concentrated ores etc)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Which is more important: prestige or gameplay?

Imo gameplay...

Account Help

Which is more important: prestige or gameplay?

Imo gameplay...

I'd agree with that.

If I got upset about the prestige of something everytime they update or tweaked things I'd be a miserable whiner by this point - so many of my achievements in-game predate so many big changes they are losing prestige all the time.

But I don't care if my rank crashes or if what I finished a while ago becomes much faster/easier as long as the game is growing and improving. I don't want things to say the tedious slow pita way I may have done them just because I did it that way and everyone else should suffer. Did it ruffle my feathers a bit cook-x came out like a matter of days after I got 99? Sure, just because it was like sods laws, but it didn't mean it was a bad update or I didn't like it.

Also for me things becoming faster or easier is not a bad thing - yes there needs to be a balance to things, but frankly game attention span is shrinking and the amount of things to do to 'finish' the game is expanding some things (mostly older things) have to be sped up and made a bit easier just to keep the overall time to 'finish' in the same ballpark instead of perpetually growing longer and longer making it impossible for anyone to catch up.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Gameplay but if minigames had ranks and BH would still be here it'd be quite tied together. :o

that is just the same* although I don't see much merit in gaining xp just for the sake of it after 99. (hiscores)

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Gameplay but if minigames had ranks and BH would still be here it'd be quite tied together. :o

that is just the same* although I don't see much merit in gaining xp just for the sake of it after 99. (hiscores)

Any minigame with ranks is instantly wrecked by boosters et al.
  • Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I find the idea of placing a hard cap at 13m XP to be absolutely ridiculous. There would be no point in playing the game once you max out.

I don't even understand why you would want that? Because there are faster methods of gaining XP than there were 7 years ago? Because people are more focused on training their skills and gaining XP than playing minigames and "having fun"?

I don't know, I think the idea of a hard cap is plain and simply ridiculous.

• Like 1

7rwjf.png
Leik.png
LIVERPOOL WILL WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE THIS SEASON.
[01:24:34] CJ Hunnicutt: it takes skill to be that [bleep]ing stupid

FAQ for upcoming cape poll by Mod Oliver http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=3m-In2e0M44/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?16,17,129,65309399,goto,1

Hi all,

I thought I'd post to answer a few of the questions floating around the forums concerning the upcoming Master cape poll mentioned by Mod Osborne in the 24 hour GameBlast livestream. 

Why are you polling this update?
I think it’s fair to say that a portion of the community have wanted to see the full collection of Master capes in-game since the release of Dungeoneering; we’ve seen this through the various concepts online which have been created by you, the players. However, we weren’t sure if a majority were happy with the idea of creating high end goals that only target a certain type of player, as such we felt that polling the update would be an ideal solution.

Would skills be increased to level 120 with this update?
No; skills would not be raised to 120 with this update.

Would we need to obtain the additional Master capes for Completionist cape requirements?
There are no current plans for the new Master capes to tie in with any of the high level requirements for Completionist capes.

Which skills would you be creating Master capes for?
Every skill other than Dungeoneering, as it already exists.

How would we obtain the Master capes?
Players would need a 'virtual' level of 120 (104,273,167 XP) in a skill to unlock a Master cape. They would be sold by the existing skill masters for 120,000 GP each.

Would XP rates be made faster to allow players to obtain the Master capes easier?
No; XP rates would not be changed with this update to allow for these capes to become more easily obtainable.

What would the capes look like?
The new Master capes would look similar to the Dungeoneering master cape, very similar to concepts scattered across the internet which have been created by players.

Would there be new emotes for each of the Master capes?
No; there would not be new emotes with the capes, they would be released with the ability to perform the related 99 skillcape emote.

What information can you tell us about the capes?
- They would have the same stats as the existing skillcapes.
- They would have a 'Boost' option for the specific skill when worn; the same as all skillcapes.
- Each of the capes would be called: [skill name] master cape
- The capes would be in-game items not cosmetic overrides, unless the owner decides to Keepsake it themselves.

When is the poll coming?
The poll will be up within the next few weeks and will require a majority vote to pass. The available options for players to choose between will be either 'Yes' or 'No' to the implementation of the capes.

What other information can you give us about the update?
- There are no current plans to introduce trimmed Master capes.
- There are no current plans to introduce a 120-style Quest cape.
- There are no current plans to introduce Milestone capes past 99.
- There are no current plans to introduce 'virtual' levels to the HiScores.

Feel free to comment with more related questions and we'll do our best to reply or update the original post with any extra information.

Have fun everyone and when the time comes, make your vote count! :D

- Oliver

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Any minigame with ranks is instantly wrecked by boosters et al.

It is.

Still beats buyscape D:

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)