Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Future Update Discussions

11436 replies to this topic

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

I'm curious do you actually think it is a bad idea in terms of the balance of combat classes as a whole - ie around issues of it being unfair meleers have to train twice as much for the same results as mage and ranged get etc. or does your view it is bad centre entirely on the fact it would be detrimental to you personally with your current stats?

After all this kind of change is inevitably going to negatively impact some players, but then with forewarning people have time to prepare and the end result does have boons for combat in the short term and oepns up options going forward.

Personally I'm of the view when an update is good for the game as a whole it's a good idea, even if it does have negative results to my personal position in the game. After all if we never made updates with a negative impact in some way we would never move on. 

Why not merge Attack and Strength? Ooooh, wait, that would lower the max total by 99 and lots of overall XP would be lost when you combine both skills...

I do admit my dislike is most personal. However, if you think combing Attack and Strength is "bad" for whatever reason, then that's an equally personal stance. However, I'm not the standard maxed-comped-200m-praise-Jagex-edate-in-Prif player, so my opinion matters less.

Also, do note that melee is better DPS than any other class, largely due to Berserker.

Unrelated, did Jagex say the NXT client was 32-bit? If so:

Hahahahahaha. Incompetent.

ozXHe7P.png

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

They didn't say it was 32-bit, they just said they wanted to make sure it worked with 32-bit so in terms of minimum RAM need it won't go over 2gb

Runescape Reveals excite!

Going for 1 huge or large update a month with smaller updates that tie to it themewise (ie reuse assests etc)

Godwar Dungeon 2 - for this current godwar with new gear (ie new godswords, but maybe not swords) Concept art for Tuska and Seren

Mining and Smithing rework - including everything be squished down for new top end.

Sliske's game ending -"Sliske's countdown" 4 quests to finish the story line..

Quest 1 is Nomad - try to drain all souls from underworld. Death, Icthlarin and all previously dead characters invovled.

Quest 2 is Barrows Bros - reveal a barrows sister, how she fits into Sliske's plan. Can we break the curse and free them? Get close to Sliske

Quest 3 - skipped til later in talk

Quest 4 is the end game itself. Gods who have scored points will be brought to an end-game event. (Armadyl and Vorago) Gonna be some surprising participants as he bends the rules. Gonna have major divergence based on all prior choices in-game. Will be deleted scene way to see all possible routes.

Will be a scoreboard so we can see how the score is going.

All the major gods will have places in world to be talked to.

Some pics of NXT.

Solo Boss 

Concept of underwater boss - make armour/gear before you begin fight.

Just one idea - not really decided exact details yet.

Quest 3 of Sliskes countdown is Fate of the Gods 2

Scene that was going to be in originally going to be in fotg is now becoming fotg2.

Mah planning to build her own world as she's angry.

Mahjaratt going to react to Mah trying to destroy Frenskae - they will be coming home.

Zaros and Zamorak will face off.

Quirky updates not being forgotten.

Other quests in year will be quirky fun stories.

Personal, character driven stories.

Up number of quests via bottle quests.

Bottle Quest will be labelled as such up front - built using as few new assets as possible.

Won't be epic or long, will be chracter driven.

Chronicle - nothing really new. Just that it's coming

Tablet as well as pc.

Raids 2

Same concepts as before (without the Shaman)

Fire elemental - ground falls away etc

Air Elemental - mountain, clouds etc.

Taken on feedback from first raids - make them more accessible, fewer obstacles. Talk about how solo, small teams and skillers can get invovled. Think they can do all these.

Idea of skillers on back line are more key to fight than front line fighters.

Invention.

Much the same info again.

Two halfs - making new machines and augment existing gear.

Xp gained by using invention modded items.

Concepts:

Calling perk - calls something like Rapotr to aid you.

Duplicator - 50:50 chance destroy or dupe item.

Animated stuff added to gear to look unique showcased.

3 Tech Trees at launch - Human (divination etc) Goblin (electric) Dwarf (steam powered)

Batch 2 brings 2 more trees - Elves (crystals) Gnome (clockwork)

Will be in dg

You are guildmaster - hotspots to build machines in, hire 'staff' might be various big name quest unlock npcs (ie Ava)

Power to players - new land mass. Continent or City all from player ideas.

Ideas/Concepts:

Kudos Island - archeology, live dinos

Menaphos

Underwater City

All up to us on Runelabs.

Later criteria on labs will be for quest, minigames etc to add to this land mass.

Tell stories we know and love.

Vampyre Finale - "Rivers of Blood"

Vamps come to river Salve.

5th Age.

Confrontation with King Rolad.

Into Castle Drakan properly.

Theres a number of updates they are trying something new/special with that they are not revealing.

15 years of Runescape.

Documentary being filmed.

In-game stuff planned.

Emote to to represent something from each of 15 years.

Classic will reopen.

Quest about 2 wizards and big bad trying to bring in old/removed updates.

Andrew and Paul Gower involved in making the quest.

Nostalgic - call backs to things that never made it in game or got removed. Life runes, lizard men, tangle vine.

Revisiting older quests like RFD did.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hajutze
[ Display Name History ]

Hajutze

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • RSN:Poptolev

Goweeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

I'm curious do you actually think it is a bad idea in terms of the balance of combat classes as a whole - ie around issues of it being unfair meleers have to train twice as much for the same results as mage and ranged get etc. or does your view it is bad centre entirely on the fact it would be detrimental to you personally with your current stats?

After all this kind of change is inevitably going to negatively impact some players, but then with forewarning people have time to prepare and the end result does have boons for combat in the short term and oepns up options going forward.

Personally I'm of the view when an update is good for the game as a whole it's a good idea, even if it does have negative results to my personal position in the game. After all if we never made updates with a negative impact in some way we would never move on. 

Why not merge Attack and Strength? Ooooh, wait, that would lower the max total by 99 and lots of overall XP would be lost when you combine both skills...

I do admit my dislike is most personal. However, if you think combing Attack and Strength is "bad" for whatever reason, then that's an equally personal stance. However, I'm not the standard maxed-comped-200m-praise-Jagex-edate-in-Prif player, so my opinion matters less.

Also, do note that melee is better DPS than any other class, largely due to Berserker.

Unrelated, did Jagex say the NXT client was 32-bit? If so:

Hahahahahaha. Incompetent.

Now I'm done with Stream stuff I'll pick up on this.

Personally I would not oppose merging attack and strength to the same end of balancing how all 3 classes gain power, however personally I do prefer the idea of keep strength but separate it from melee to be universal because it offers more diversity in terms of things you can do with combat skills.

And it would feed into versatility in combat builds on the whole - at the moment you get some versatility in melee in terms of are you balanced? are you accurate but weak? are you strong but inaccurate? but the same does not apply to magic and ranged. This would bring the same diversity to all three. Plus when you look at abilities some str ones will prob become attack ones, but theres a good selection that can easily be cross class abilities and it'd be quite interesting to have an offensive ability book that is universal to all classes - it'll be like your freedom or guthix butterfly but actually offensive and would ultimately make it kind easier to offer abilities as a quest reward - instead of having to be biased to one combat class when the quest may not warrant it or dev and balance 3 abilities they could make 1 kick-ass offensive ability to add in.

Also it can feed into other activities in terms of requirements at the moment strength reqs is just i r strong man, i can lift/smash stoofs. It can gain elements to do with the kind of strength ranging requires - the kind of strength involved in stability to aim, the kind of strength in making a controlled exact movement like pulling and hold a bow and, more interestingly, can look into elements of mental strength since strength for magic would be about shaping spells through your will power. Could feed nicely into like horror, psychological and puzzle elements of things - mental fortitude reducing an effect like recovery after a jump scare or allowing extra hints or simplification in certain puzzles. All that kind of thing to me are very interesting routes that don't really fit with any skill in-game right now but would make perfect sense with a more unviersal strength skill.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

I didn't think about Strength abilities becoming Range/Mage ones. I doubt Jagex would do that, or at least very well (hi 20+ Attack abilities), but that is an interesting point and could be very useful, all things said and done.

I concede.

ozXHe7P.png

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

Hm. I support expanding roles instead of erasing them.

Maybe we can talk about Firemaking later.

8f14270694.jpg

DownToFletch
[ Display Name History ]

DownToFletch

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 812 posts
  • RSN:All My Love
  • Clan:Age of Ancients

Hm. I support expanding roles instead of erasing them.

Maybe we can talk about Firemaking later.

And fletching and fishing and mining and a whole bunch of others right

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

fletching overhaul will presumably follow smithing overhaul

if anything needs purpose, it's hunter (and thieving)

8f14270694.jpg

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw
^sorry, but hunter and thieving have lots of purposes. If you are looking at skills with no purposes then firemaking is the first one to come to mind, not saying that I want a firemaking rework (first). Even a skill like farming has less purpose than hunter :P But I get your point, hunter is quite broken nowadays.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

They said once upon a time that Mining/Smithing rework would give them a good base model which they could then use to more quickly do similar reworks for wc/fletch, fish/cook and crafting.

Though tbh with how they revamped healing from food fish/cook kinda makes sense now, but wc/fletch and craft could certainly use some level appropriate re-jigging

But yeah all told a lot of skills really need reworks.

Agility needs better ways to train and a greater function than a few short cuts.

Farming is very 1 dimensional and could benefit greatly from assorted livestock ideas and some general sprucing to the mechanics of existing farming.

Hunter could use a bit more variety and definitely needs some more useful things injected into it

Firemaking just well, Fire...making...

Construction they kinda need to nuke the existing poh system and do something entirely new.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Veiva
[ Display Name History ]

Veiva

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
Firemaking just well, Fire...making...

I've thought prior that they could make firemaking a skilling version of prayer (i.e., provide skilling boosts). Seems they went the easier route with Seren stuff by simply making prayer also useful when skilling.

Anyway, you could have incense, which provide temporary buffs, tied to distinct firemaking levels. Bonfires could be elaborated on, perhaps used as a team-based incense equivalent. Allowing firemaking to buff other skills, when relevant, would also be neat: use firemaking to power special forges for increased efficiency while smithing, cooking benefits in special hotspots (smoking foods, better ranges, etc), farming side-thing (clear dead growth using applied firemaking to improve future crops). Even skills like thieving could benefit: using smoke to confuse targets and provide distractions in some more elaborate thieving method.

But a massive inter-skill game is unlikely.

ozXHe7P.png

helring
[ Display Name History ]

helring

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,203 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:helring

Cooking could also use an overhaul. The easier to make foods are often the most useful ones. They should re-do it so that fish alone wouldn't be very good healing, you'd need the taters,pizzas,pies, etc.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://secure.runes...ew-idea?idea=19

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Cooking could also use an overhaul. The easier to make foods are often the most useful ones. They should re-do it so that fish alone wouldn't be very good healing, you'd need the taters,pizzas,pies, etc.

And they should combine that with farming. Like tuna potatoes, but make them worthwhile XP for the time you spend on making them, both farming and cooking XP, make them heal a lot more than easier stuff. I seriously don't know how they cannot see this simple thing...

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

^sorry, but hunter and thieving have lots of purposes. If you are looking at skills with no purposes then firemaking is the first one to come to mind, not saying that I want a firemaking rework (first). Even a skill like farming has less purpose than hunter :P But I get your point, hunter is quite broken nowadays.

hunter:

- ingredients for herblore

farming:

- personal woodcutting spots

- ingredients for cooking summer pies and outclassed tuna potatoes

thieving:

- ironman

- making farming ingredients for cooking useless by providing an unlimited number of summer pies because of arbitrary developer decision making

8f14270694.jpg

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
Ninja teaser:

Familiars getting more lp.

http://t.co/cxiSsxDFZP

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

hunter:

farming:

- personal woodcutting spots
- ingredients for cooking summer pies and outclassed tuna potatoes

thieving:

- ironman
- making farming ingredients for cooking useless by providing an unlimited number of summer pies because of arbitrary developer decision making

Not going into detail for the other skills here, but why I said hunting is useful take for example:
Ranged ammo/weapons
Summoning ingredients (especially the cats are quite useful, or were... I may not be up to date)
All kinds of skill additions (rabbit foot, thieving gloves etc.)
All kind of pets (not really useful, but a nice addition)
Eagle transportation network
Hunting implings all over runescape.

Retired item crew

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:wkw
I agree. Hunter is the least in need of a rework

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005