Cowman_133

Future Update Discussions

"Room limit not increasing" oh man they don't understand how this works. Do they really think players are not going to mass complain about that?

Its apparently still a technical thing. Its part of the old system put in place by the construction curator.

Is there much of the old system code still in the game? I've seen that reason come up more and more recently.

howlin1eeveesig.png

The entirety of poh IS the old system.

It's never been reworked hence the limitations of construction and the only way to make real changes is the ground up rework.

It's a system that you can bolt new things onto (ie a new room) but you can't easily amend or tweak the core code as it effects, well, everything - rotations, room placement, house instance generation, build spots, furniture dataetc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

What I do wonder: can't they use the dungeoneering code for it? I mean, a hell of a lot of variation (and thus lighting) is created as soon as you start a dungeon.

Plugging reworked construction stuff into it could work maybe? And not requiring as much time as they make it seem (1 year for the graphics).

Player-owned houses weren't a great idea for how much work they required (they even tried to do it in rsc but failed), and have been basically dead content for years. Even jagex understands that. Thus their general distaste to do anything drastic with them- it's just not worth it (and really, players rarely if ever consider the cost of making something versus the benefit it would reap for the game/community/company when suggesting new ideas, that's for sure). Horses have been proposed from the beginning and they have said time and time again they are not doing it. Given how they gave us dual-wielding and we crucified them for it, that's the right attitude. 

• Like 1

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Didn't they already upped the room limit in the past? I get that it is not easy to add new code like moving rooms. But upping the limit does not seem that complicated to me, it is not like there will be new code in there? But maybe I don't know enough about the coding...

essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Didn't they already upped the room limit in the past? I get that it is not easy to add new code like moving rooms. But upping the limit does not seem that complicated to me, it is not like there will be new code in there? But maybe I don't know enough about the coding...

The issue with upping limit is more to do with the upper limits of the coding - it isn't capable of generating more rooms at once than the current limit.

Presumably this is do with a map size constraint or memory constraint or something of that ilk where the system starts to break down if you try to expand it further.

That's the thing with older systems they are sort of like trying to stack a tower of non-matching blocks without any fore planning. Whilst theoretically there is nothing stopping you adding more blocks to the top doing so just results in the tower becoming progressively more unstable until it eventually collapses.

They were essentially designed in a time when the extreme upper limit of what was possible was a much lower bar, so by todays standards they are archaic and can't cope with what more modern coding could achieve.

@Dexter - using dg as a base for reworking construction certainly wouldn't be a bad idea, but they probably already thought of that and it wouldn't really reduce times that much. Whilst it would mean they would bypass the need to code a generate on entrance grid-room system they would still have to make it a save-state loading system not a random generation delete on exit one and rebuild the entire hotspot furniture system and rebuild the build-mode system etc. etc. Using dg would very much only give them the very very base line, a good 90% of the poh/building functionality would still need to be recoded ontop of it.

Plus the 1 year graphics thing only really applies for a purely graphical rework in the existing system - graphic time for a full rework would be lesser.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The divination ports character is called "The Memory" and here is a picture of her:

150px-The_Memory.png

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Concept art for the "dank light" used in the 200th quest.

VbraUhw.png

"It seems like this sword is too dank to use effectively."

"Then let's BLAZE [email protected]"

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

The divination ports character is called "The Memory" and here is a picture of her:

150px-The_Memory.png

Am I the only one who thinks that it's from Avatar?

• Like 1

Tach.png

150px-The_Memory.png

Hello Aagi.

• Like 1

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Wait, does that mean there will be actual cutscenes of the adventurers that AREN'T in ports?

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!

I don't think cutscenes. :p I hope that it are islands, specific to each adventurer as Assassin or Whaler, with a specific use. In the picture above we can see a dungeoneering resource dungeon, which probably relates to the dungeoneering adventurer. We will propably be able to use those islands after a specific voyage unlock, for an axtra resource dungeon, but maybe even new fishing spots, a little hunt area, some slayer monsters, and so one. 

At least, I hope!

Once again: about the rework of houses: the battlefields you can build in your citadel, those could be used maybe for customised houses? There's the building aspect already, with placing very different stuff in patterns you like, it gets stored and opens up when you like. It basiccally has the two modes already, just like a POH has at the moment, with the same functions. You just have to add other 'building materials' to it. :p

Also the nod to Mod Osborne on the BTS video relating to Dragons Den, is about him always making 'very long' posts.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

So yeah, now that the BTS is out and there aren't any more concrete spoilers coming, here are some (belated) suggestions to get the most out of the ports update:

Have max chi, plates, koi and perls. You'll likely also need a large amount of resources to max all buildings and make new weapons (my 20k cotta likely isn't enough).

For the storyline and distance race:

Have max all random event rewards (3 adv rerolls is the most important one, but other things are important in order to force further rerolls)

Have a random event roll over from the day prior.

Have 4 finished voyages waiting when the update hits (for distance, these have to be shield tier TG).

When the update hits, make 3 new port statues and use one adv. reroll.

Complete the random event from the previous day.

Check the 4 ships (most likely getting a new random event, although it's not necessary as you'll complete a few more voyages in the day).

Send out any Scroll or new adventurer voyages you get. Use another adv. reroll etc.

If you are lucky enough, you could complete a single adventurer storyline within the first ~24 hours of the update (max 7 adv rerolls within the first 10 hours of the update).

So yeah, now that the BTS is out and there aren't any more concrete spoilers coming, here are some (belated) suggestions to get the most out of the ports update:

Have max chi, plates, koi and perls. You'll likely also need a large amount of resources to max all buildings and make new weapons (my 20k cotta likely isn't enough).

Have max all random event rewards (3 adv rerolls is the most important one, but other things are important in order to force further rerolls)

Have 4 finished voyages waiting when the update hits (for distance, these have to be shield tier TG).

Check the 4 ships (most likely getting a new random event, although it's not necessary as you'll complete a few more voyages in the day).

Send out any Scroll or new adventurer voyages you get. Use another adv. reroll etc.

If you are lucky enough, you could complete a single adventurer storyline within the first ~24 hours of the update (max 7 adv rerolls within the first 10 hours of the update).

Are there new areas coming out, though? i.e., are we actually going to need more distance? Seems like this update just provides more uses for terracotta and azure

Flyingjj.png

Are there new areas coming out, though? i.e., are we actually going to need more distance? Seems like this update just provides more uses for terracotta and azure

It is confirmed there are NO NEW REGIONS.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

No new regions doesn't 100% equate to the distance limit staying the same, but yeah, that's exactly why my post was focused on how to get the most adv rerolls (and thus scrolls+story missions).

No new regions doesn't 100% equate to the distance limit staying the same, but yeah, that's exactly why my post was focused on how to get the most adv rerolls (and thus scrolls+story missions).

I think the distance cap doesn't increase, due to there being no new region.

Account Help

I think the distance cap doesn't increase, due to there being no new region.

I'd agree without new regions there is no real reason to up the distance cap.

The distance cap was upped in the first add-on because there were new regions which required more distance to unlock than the existing cap allowed.

If this add-on has no new regions there is no need for new distance so no reason to increase the cap, especially if you consider increasing the cap could make future expansions unfair as new regions could be insta-unlocked due to a distance cap that exceeds the require distance for max region by too much.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I see what you're saying, although I hope that J realizes as much and doesn't continue to use the same pattern in an arbitrary fashion :P

I'm quite ill-prepared for this update other than having shettons of trade goods stockpiled - I've hardly any cotta or azure to speak of.

What exactly are the new buildings supposed to do? :|

2dgucz6.png

Do what the old buildings did, but better!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

From twitter:

Today (Tuesday)'s #RSTV Stream features:

- Tuska

- Boss Practice Mode

Make sure you don't miss out!

1600 Game Time! twitch.tv/runescape

Please, someone cover this if you can. If not i will be trawling the media for information for you.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

The Dukes Team Blog

The Team – All hail the Dukes!

Within RuneScape we are split into smaller teams of content developers, graphics artists, designers and QA testers. We are the Dukes, one of the three core teams that produce the main weekly updates you've come to expect. Our goal is to continue the fun by providing a variety of quality content updates such as minigames, quests, skill updates and more!

Previous Projects

4th February marks the anniversary of the first Dukes Team release; the Demon drop table update. In the past year since then our team has developed and launched Action bar sharing, Bank Loadouts, Mahjarrat Memories, The Mighty Fall, Pest Control improvements, Skillchompas, Barbarian Assault Redux, Hallowe'en 2014 - Death's Door, Broken Home and Dominion Tower improvements. It's been a busy year!

Current Projects

Zamorak Heist quest

Easter 2015

Zamorak Heist quest

If you've been keeping up to speed with the Dukes recently you'll be well aware that we've been hard at work to bring you the 199th quest, the follow-up to Missing, Presumed Death, in which the revolutionary god of chaos, Zamorak, puts his plan to take back the Stone of Jas into motion with the aim of restoring the power he lost in the Battle of Lumbridge.

We've three reveals for you today! The quest's name has been pinned down and we’ll be calling it Dishonour Among Thieves. You'll be able to play it from the end of February!

Finally the quest's requirements are:

Level 30 Thieving

Level 30 Agility

Missing, Presumed Death

Hazeel Cult

Also recommended are combat stats of at least 50.

You voted in droves for Nomad to be included in the heist team and Zamorak will be employing him within an elite combination of chaotic characters that, together, have an array of particular skills. We've already shown you his art concept but here it is again, alongside the old and new models. Ooh, shiny!

https://twitter.com/JagexOllie/status/542340554231910400/photo/1

Easter 2015

Thank you for your feedback!

We've been asking you, the players, for your feedback in what you look for and don't want to see in holiday events in threads such as 16-17-898-65524919. We've taken this feedback on board and used it as a basis for this year's Easter event to make it as enjoyable as possible for as many people as we can.

We're going for a quest-like structure with a concrete start and end. While some elements will be replayable for fun or with friends we've made note that you're generally not fans of grindy content in holiday events and it shouldn't feel like you're missing out if you don't turn up every day.

The Easter Bunny has been away for a while on eggciting adventures and he’s brought back something eggstraordinary that is bound to be a basket of trouble.

Future projects

Small skilling project - Livestock

Early design is now underway for a small addition to Farming, allowing the player to raise and care for Livestock, with rewards for other skills. As a small project there will only be a small selection of creatures for you to farm however we plan to add more in the future if it proves popular. We've had questions around the office already like "What? But I can already kill cows for cowhides or shear sheep for wool!" and existing gameplay isn't something we're looking to reproduce. More info as time goes on!

Quest #201

Soon after Dishonour Among Thieves goes out and The Guardians release the 200th Quest, Dimension of Disaster, The Dukes are back in the questing game with number 201, with a tentative release date of Springtime. We'll keep you guessing on what this quest might be though, so keep your ears open for future Dukes correspondence!

#RSTV

The Dukes will be livestreaming again in the second half of February. Tune in to see us showcase our upcoming projects and ask us questions in chat!

If you missed our December broadcast in which we spoke about the Zamorak Heist Quest and Dominion Tower improvements you can watch it back here;

http://www.twitch.tv/runescape/b/594942059

Until Next Time…

Please let us know what you think of these projects and any ideas/questions you have about future ones. The feedback you give us is invaluable.

Thanks,

Mod Chaose and The Dukes

---

Get in touch with the Dukes directly! While it's best to post your feedback here in the dev-blog thread, if you have even more feedback/discussion points about previous or currents projects you can find a few of us on Twitter!

Mod Ollie - @JagexOllie - Content Developer [Dishonour Among Thieves]

Mod Ollo - @JagexOllo - Content Developer [Easter 2015]

Mod James H - @JagexJamesh - Lead QA Tester

Mod Chaose - @JagexChaose - QA Tester

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png