23-Jun-2014 - Skillchompas and Legacy Mode Poll

Saradomin_Mage

Skillchompas and Legacy Mode Poll

Today, RuneScape hunters can catch skillchompas, bringing some bang to resource gathering with extra XP and skill-specific bonuses.

We've also opened up our Legacy Mode Poll. If you're a free player with an account created before 2013 - or a RuneScape member - you can now have your say on whether Legacy Mode should be added to the live game, once it’s spent more time in beta.

Read on for more information, or log into RuneScape now!

Skillchompas

What's cute, furry, and explodes in an XP-giving shower of viscera? A skillchompa!

RuneScape members can start catching skillchompas from level 27 Hunter, using box traps. They can then be wielded as tools while gathering materials, from level 31 Divination, Fishing, Mining or Woodcutting.

Gathering while wielding a skillchompa replaces your usual action, so you'll lob the hapless rodent at the skilling spot rather than gathering in the traditional way. Unorthodox it may be, but this gives a number of awesome skilling advantages.

Firstly, each skillchompa gathering action gives 10% of the base XP that a successful action of its type would give. If your action is successful, you will receive the 10% on top of the XP for the action itself. Even if you're unsuccessful, the skillchompa will still give you a little XP.

Next, skillchompas give specific benefits, depending on which skill they're used for:

• Divination: +3-15% chance to get enriched memories when harvesting wisps (not including protoplasmic or Mah wisps).
  • Fishing: +1-4% chance to catch fish.
  • Mining and Woodcutting: advantages equivalent to those given by mithril-to-dragon hatchets and pickaxes.
The bonuses above increase depending on which of the four types of skillchompa you use: cobalt, viridian, azure and crimson. The skillchompa types have increasingly higher Hunter and gathering skill requirements - take a look at wiki or the in-game Skill Advance Guide for full details.

Mod Nexus and the RuneScape Team

Legacy Mode Poll - Now Open

The poll to vote on Legacy Mode is now live!

While we intend to spend at least a few more weeks ironing out the remaining issues on the beta servers, we want you to have your say, now that you’ve seen our vision for Legacy Mode.

For the next seven days, free-to-play accounts created before January 2013 and all members can have their say. If the vote passes, we’re hoping Legacy Mode will be ready for the main game in July or August.

Undecided? Find out more about the recent batch of updates we've made to the beta, and what will be included in Legacy Mode. Please note that the EoC changes also on the beta servers will be going in to the live game irrespective of the outcome of the Legacy poll.

Head into game now to cast your vote. Just head to the Community interface and select the 'Vote Now!' tab to find the poll.

Got any questions? Check out the FAQ or head to the forums.

The RuneScape Team

In Other News

Patch Notes

[hide]The following fixes and tweaks have now been implemented. If you believe a change has not been documented, either in the patch notes or the news posts for this week’s update, please detail the change so that it may be added.

As always, be sure to submit a bug report should you encounter a gameplay bug or graphical glitch in-game.

Graphical:

Height mapping in the Burthorpe troll cave has been fixed.

The music box animation will now stop if a player starts to perform another action.

The Partyhat Firemaking animation override now functions correctly in Dungeoneering.

Iban spells no longer have issues with the ordering of particles.

Several graphical issues with cutscenes during Birthright of the Dwarves quest have been fixed.

Dawn and Dusk now have the correct icon in the menangerie.

Gaze auras are now disabled when wearing certain helmet overrides where the eye position doesn't match up.

Some small clipping issues with the Aviansie cosmetic overrides have been fixed.

A flicker on a wall during The Chosen Commander quest has been corrected.

Skills, D&Ds & Minigames:

The Scroll of Daemonheim effect now occurs when burning logs on a bonfire.

The examine information for the size 7 shooting star has been adjusted.

The Agoroth fight will now reset on Wednesdays every week, to remain consistent with other weekly D&D events.

D&D reset tokens will now reset teleports for the Sinkholes D&D.

Some spelling errors when inquiring about Court Cases with Seers' Village court house guards have been corrected.

Burying bones now gives players a chance to win a key token.

Quests, Challenges and Achievements:

Players starting the Firemaker’s Curse quest will no longer have their fixed camera view blocked by the cliff rework in the area.

An issue where Brundt and Grendt were refusing to talk has been fixed.

Players may now reclaim The Mighty Fall's reward book from Zarador.

Players can no longer obtain multiple Kyzaj during the Mighty Fall quest.

A maggot-ridden troll corpse has returned to Taverley for the Let Them Eat Pie quest.

A selection of minor gameplay tweaks have been made to the Clock Tower quest intended to assist flow of the quest.

The destination marker for when a player has Sinkholes as their active task has been moved to account for the addition of Gudrik's house.

Other:

The music played when a Slayer task is completed has been updated.

Fishing divine locations now appear in the quick-chat listings.

The "claim key token" popup no longer appears if the player has ticked the "Don't show this again" box.

Heartbreak and lovestruck pendants now can be successfully removed from, or stored in, a Player-Owned House toy box.

A typo on the Sawmill workbench interface has been corrected.

A typo with Beasts of Burden if a player tries to store an untradeable item has been fixed.

The Roadtrip option from Challenge Mistress Fara has been removed.

The Mask of Gloom reclaim cost is now reported correctly on the "confirm destroy" interface.

The Summoning skill guide now displays level 4 as a requirement for all dogs.

The gold mining outfit can now be correctly protected on death outside of the Wilderness.

The XP reward books from the Jack of Trades auras can no longer be banked.

Your bank pin is now checked when redeeming bonds.

Treasure Hunter, Members Loyalty Shop and other larger interfaces now allow the player to click on the game world to walk away.

Players dancing to a music box can now rest.

The Frostwalker, Glad Tidings, Drakewing and Ogre Infiltrator outfits now open to the correct place in Solomon's Store when using the "Open Shop" button from the Wardrobe interface

Players can no longer walk through a wall during Rory's All Wrapped Up emote.

Recolours on weapons and off-hand items will be correctly restored when loading presets in the wardrobe.

Silverhawk feathers will now be destroyed on death within the wilderness.

Some audio has been added when a player teleports using the World Event god tokens.

An issue that stopped nihil from spawning has been fixed.

References to the ancient combat abilities being ultimates have been amended.

More than one gemstone golem part can now be traded at once.

Ninja Fixes:

Players can now acquire Magic and Ranged equivalents of the TokHaar-Kal by dealing more damage during the Fight Kiln in the respective attack style of the cape desired.

Players can hand in all three kiln capes (Melee, Ranged and Magic) for an Enhanced fire cape cosmetic override by talking to one of the TzHaar elders in the main plaza.

Due to feedback on release, the trimmed completionist cape requirement on the Kal'gerion titles has been increased from one to all five titles.

The hexhunter bow has been buffed again making it much more powerful against Magic based NPCs.

Barge now works in Dungeoneering.

The upgraded gem bag can be emptied from the inventory whilst the bank interface is open.

Players can now block a seventh Slayer task with a total of 350 Quest Points.

Fist of Guthix now requires a minimum of 8 people to start a game as opposed to the original 16.

Players will now receive XP from other players using their placed divine locations.

Players will now be asked how many items they would like to recharge a slayer helmet with.

Fused slayer helmets now benefit from the ferocious ring damage boost.

Higher level slayer masters now reward more co-op slayer points.

Players can now enter the Waterbirth Island dungeons without the need of a second player.

The slayer task completion message is now red.

Picking up thrown weapons will be automatically equipped if they're the same as what is already wielded.

The two tribesmen (Kyle and Jonathan) near the Karamja Divination colony have grown tired of attacking diviners and have decided to relocate slightly to the west.

There is now a quick-enter-house option on the house portals.

The message when withdrawing a preset is now filtered.

The scroll of life effect is no longer filtered and will display in a more noticeable colour.

Using the collect all option to bank or inventory in the "Collect" interface will now cause the interface to close.

The effect of magic secateurs whilst harvesting will now work from the inventory.

The option text when dropping high wealth items has been changed to make it clearer.

The following items will now be kept on death automatically:

Bonecrusher

Charming Imp

Gem bag (plus the upgraded version)

Coal bag

Hair clip tokens

World event tokens

Ouroboros pouch

Constructors outfit

Players will now receive a message when recovering a seed from a dead patch from the Scroll of Life effect.

The animations used when travelling on a hot air balloon journey have been updated.

The dig animation when using a spade has been changed.

The graphics and animations for the following NPCs have been revised:

Earth warriors

Rock slugs

Nechryaels

Possessed pickaxes

Orks

Jogres

Hellhounds

Goraks

Engine Fixes:

A legacy mode has been added to the hunt code so that Barbarian Assault can be reverted back to it’s previous behaviour.

Engine support has been added for the recommendation system as well as two-factor authentication, and additional support has been added for the RuneScape Companion.[/hide]

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Massive applause for the authenticator (even if it does come 2 years later than my suggestion). Extra applause for going with a tried and tested standard as well rather than their own implementation. I have a sneaky feeling that JAG has been able to be bypassed for quite some time, there's no getting around this.

OFGhi.png

• Like 1

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Crimson skillchompas are south of the granite quarry. They are base 450 Hunter XP per catch, which is 75 less than Draconics.

Azure are outside the cave where Jhallan rested before the Ritual.

Viridian are south of Port Phasmatys.

Cobalt are north of the Gnome Stronghold, through the shortcut in the northern fence.

• Like 2

6Ij0n.jpg

And still no Red Cape fix???? What is the garbage.....

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Massive applause for the authenticator (even if it does come 2 years later than my suggestion). Extra applause for going with a tried and tested standard as well rather than their own implementation. I have a sneaky feeling that JAG has been able to be bypassed for quite some time, there's no getting around this.

OFGhi.png

To get through my Jag they would have to get into my Gmail, and since I have two-step on that, it's already safeguarded with a code from my phone...

Anyway, looks like the Ninja Team had a busy week!

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

OFGhi.png

To get through my Jag they would have to get into my Gmail, and since I have two-step on that, it's already safeguarded with a code from my phone...

Anyway, looks like the Ninja Team had a busy week!

The same for me, but not every email provider has implemented a form of multi-factor authentication yet. Good news is that Gmail uses the same authenticator app as RuneScape so no need for additional apps :D

Everyone should use multi-factor authentication, the same apps can be used to secure LastPass, Twitter, Facebook, Dropbox and more...

I've heard stories though of people having JAG disabled without any actions over email. Normally I'd disregard this sort of anecdotal evidence but its from people I trust, real life people I trust.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Xkcd passwords aren't secure anymore btw so let's not really go around recommending them

Cmon, I posted that 2 years ago...

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

What Jagex need to do next as well is enable capitals and symbols in passwords. At the moment passwords are not case sensitive and do not allow symbols or punctuation. My RuneScape password is my weakest scored password out of the 100+ unique ones I have for every website/service.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

9GzX7.jpg

Updated Firecape Override

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Wow, that looks terrible. Yuck.

Updated Firecape Override

Yeah, it starts off ok but the shape at the bottom is awful.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

The effect of magic secateurs whilst harvesting will now work from the inventory.

Yay. No more swapping between them and mud staff. Glad my suggestion got through.

Players will now receive XP from other players using their placed divine locations.

Just what we need! More XP!

現実とうひを繰り返してもうそうしてんだ

All 3 Kiln capes, just got the mage one. :thumbup:

hNsAmdT.png

• Like 4

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

Just what we need! More XP!

Depends on when it triggers. If it triggers only when they generate noted resources for you, that's just compensating for the loss of XP location placers get.
  • Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

Why do they insist on using that terrible cape model on everything ever since the eoc skdocidbwjspcpdlebopdkcnxvzfatwvptlhnrvehcovkfnwbdjvphlrneudothegamebpfmebszywygdkdjwosnxj

Would have preferred if the magic kiln cape was blue instead of purple, but at least it will match better with tokhaar override costume.

Glad they went with something original instead of just slapping "(magic)" or "(ranged)" at the end of the names though.

Also they should lower the crit bonus on mage arena capes, no reason why an easy-to-obtain cape that only requires 60 magic should have that kind of bonuses.

Here are some pictures of the companion app using GE:

[hide]BhVC3Ad.jpg

I4q8hBB.jpg

00Evu6z.jpg

XKLSUTo.jpg

XF263Sr.jpg[/hide]

Edited by Kimberly
Urza whyyy

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

I think the companion app will make bank price checking easier. You can just tap each stack of items and plop the numbers into a calculator on your computer.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png