Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Legacy Mode – Launching Monday 14th (+Legacy Discussion)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Given the post above depicting the quick poll on how likely people will use Legacy Combat, it may just represent another failure on the developer's part - whether that's because people think Legacy isn't ready for launch, not appropriate for the game at this stage or that they were among the 20%.

Well, as of right now, if the quick poll is anything to go by, over half of the players would be using Legacy mode for one reason or another.

There are many updates that have been released which much less than half of the players used, for whatever reason. Should we consider those updates failures as well?

But of course only 28% actually committed to using it whole scale 31% committed only to niche uses - one use that rely on a specific game play element that is currently quite dead to be resurrected to be viable, and the other that is likely to tank quite nicely once the metagame word gets out that, as expected, eoc beats legacy for xp:hr etc.

Heck if we assume 'slayer and skilling' works and only loses say the odd 6% and the pking side fails thats only 38% uptake of legacy.

Its quite bad percentages really considering this is a pre-launch opinion and logic would dictate post launch a fair portion of the 'will uses' will give up on it because actually usage never quite meets pre-launch poll figures especially when this is barely over 50% suggesting they'll use it already down a solid 30% from people who supported it (a figure that had already dropped by ~10% from the initial poll)

Legacy looks set to fall into a 30:70 usage split at best after reality sets in, probably closer to 20:80 or 10:90 in my view.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

Did they not entirely remove the xp penalty a while ago now as part of their ninja-type fixes?

If you can quote it, I'll believe you. However, recently I've experienced 1/2 xp dungeons with combat averages right in that range. And it hasn't been one odd dungeon or anything (with the same group, I'll have a series of low xp dungeons), and it hasn't been because of leeching (had high experience and low experience with leeches, only thing that mattered was group combat average).

Also I fail to see how legacy does anything for interpreting health and hits, basically all it does is divide things by ten.

Do you understand why the metric system has so many prefixes?

Also hitpoints do matter at present - 3960hp comes from it afterall, the weighting is just being shifted so that a full 9900 is put onto your level.

My hitpoints will be worth 150% more for each incremental level, and I'll have the same hitpoints regardless of my armor. Going from 900 hitpoints to the equivalent of 500 hitpoints wasn't particuarly pleasant for me.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Levells
[ Display Name History ]

Levells

Bear Fur

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 409 posts

and the other that is likely to tank quite nicely once the metagame word gets out that, as expected, eoc beats legacy for xp:hr etc.

Depends where you are.  Anywhere chinning or barraging takes place, Legacy gives a huge amount more xp/hr currently.

Slayer, perhaps it's debatable or depends how often you would normally ult.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

Also I fail to see how legacy does anything for interpreting health and hits, basically all it does is divide things by ten.

Do you understand why the metric system has so many prefixes?

Do you understand that dividing by 10 or times by it does not remotely alter the difficulty in understanding hits and health?
Hitting 1000 on a monster with 10000 health is just as easy to interpret as hitting 100 on something with 1000 health.
The point stands its not a change that remotely alters how health and hits can be understood as they are exactly same proportionally.

Also hitpoints do matter at present - 3960hp comes from it afterall, the weighting is just being shifted so that a full 9900 is put onto your level.

My hitpoints will be worth 150% more for each incremental level, and I'll have the same hitpoints regardless of my armor. Going from 900 hitpoints to the equivalent of 500 hitpoints wasn't particuarly pleasant for me.

Which is of course a valid point and not one I disputed. All I disputed with the notion that legacy makes hitpoints matter and that they some how do not matter now. They do matter because they account for around 1/2 health even at the very top end, they will just matter more once they account for 100% in most cases, and around 80-90% in the top end.

and the other that is likely to tank quite nicely once the metagame word gets out that, as expected, eoc beats legacy for xp:hr etc.

Depends where you are.  Anywhere chinning or barraging takes place, Legacy gives a huge amount more xp/hr currently.
Slayer, perhaps it's debatable or depends how often you would normally ult.

Very true, it was a generalised statement of course because niche uses always existing - just like at present where momentum is metagame useless in general, but holds niche uses for chin and barrage training.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

sees_all1
[ Display Name History ]

sees_all1

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,961 posts

Hitting 1000 on a monster with 10000 health is just as easy to interpret as hitting 100 on something with 1000 health.

No, it is not just as easy to interpret, especially when there are half a dozen other things you need to be doing at the same time.

But I'm surprised you're arguing about something so petty as my opinion.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
If I found it harder to interpret numbers just because they have an extra zero on the end I'd be worrying about where my education failed and how to fix it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

If I found it harder to interpret numbers just because they have an extra zero on the end I'd be worrying about where my education failed and how to fix it.

Really, Sy? Really?

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

Really, Sy? Really?

RSOF tier L

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RSN:wkw

I would like to point out, that you can use "legacy" in EOC mode, just by using momentum.

That way, you aren't barred from using ultimates which help out..

Also, question.

In legacy mode, you start out with 100% special attack, but in EOC mode, special attack is drained from adr, so you start with it negative, right?

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Levells
[ Display Name History ]

Levells

Bear Fur

• Monster Hunting Team Leader
  • 409 posts

In legacy mode, you start out with 100% special attack, but in EOC mode, special attack is drained from adr, so you start with it negative, right?

Sounds about right. Which leaves me wondering if Legacy /may/ be the best dps for short-term burst damage. Past an initial spec or 2, I'm sure EOC will remain supreme. But for something that doesn't have very high lp or perhaps a larger group?

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
You could use two AGS specs, then run somewhere to get out of combat and switch back to full manual. Repeat every 5 minutes where feasible@@

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Hajutze
[ Display Name History ]

Hajutze

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • RSN:Poptolev

TBH I was expecting the Dragon Claws and such to make ... a noticeable jump in price by now.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
They have, it's just that they have gone back down now that people finally realized that Legacy wasn't actually Jagex removing EoC.

That and everyone who wanted a pair already bought one.

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • RSN:Quasar

fairly certain that legacy mode barraging with seismics will be the GOAT training method for all slayer tasks etc until they nerf it.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

You could use two AGS specs, then run somewhere to get out of combat and switch back to full manual. Repeat every 5 minutes where feasible@@

They could solve this by making weapon special attacks consistent over the 2 modes. So no matter what mode you're in, you can only do 2 AGS specs per 5 minutes.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
I suggested having a completely separate Special Attack bar in EoC mode on RSOF, but I put it in the wrong subforum so instead of looking at my idea people just repeatedly said "wrong forum"

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
I'm betting araxxor teaser for us EOC folk.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Sounds about right. Which leaves me wondering if Legacy /may/ be the best dps for short-term burst damage. Past an initial spec or 2, I'm sure EOC will remain supreme. But for something that doesn't have very high lp or perhaps a larger group?

Won't EoC have "frame-advantage" or able to compose more damage in the tick then legacy could? We don't neccesarily have to wait for certain animations to finish.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Steph
[ Display Name History ]

Steph

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
Roughly how many hours from now will legacy update go live? Idk when they launch stuff anymore
Posted Image

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad
[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Yak-scythe
[ Display Name History ]

Yak-scythe

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • RSN:Caameron
  • Clan:Blessed Souls

I honestly think that some of the way you guys think is ridiculously stupid, you are all judging something that none of you know how will turn out! Legacy mode was made as a choice, which is why we can flick it on and off. ITS NOT JAGEX GOING BACK ON OLD DRAWINGS! Its them listening to what they have been told FROM YOU GUYS! They can't be expected to make good updates if you guys say yes then as soon as they brought it out you all whinge and cry? Its been brought out pretty fast because there would've been alot of devlopers on it i'd assume and it's something that has pre-existed so its not too hard to tweak and change for the current live game, they know what they are doing.
I would love to see you guys try and code runescape like jagex does, and then have a bunch of idiots talk down on something you worked pree' hard for.  I personally think its a great update because it gives us choice and variety, I myself love EOC but think legacy mode is a great idea.

Its as simple as if you don't like it, don't put it down. Give players who are wiling to play legacy mode a chance to play without negative opinions in the back of there mind, and don't assume things when you havn't seen it. No one knows how legacy mode will change the live game so don't go on ranting about it being all pre-hype and it'll die off and become dead content in a few weeks like your from the future or something?

Honestly this thread actually annoyed the crap out of me reading your comments.

Runescape is a haven..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users