Clan Month - The Beginning + Character Name Clean-up - One day Countdown

Miss Lioness

Names are released:

[qfc]15-16-69-65440378[/qfc]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

There has been opened up a thread to discuss the difficulty of obtaining a name. It is in an attempt to get it smoother for the next time and Jagex asked for feedback regarding the issue.

[qfc]14-15-646-65447141[/qfc]

My personal idea:

I was more thinking of a rolling requirement. This entails a name change requirement starting at Maxed (2595) and gets lower every 15-30 minutes. This lowering would be in batches of 100 levels then 200 levels then 300 levels etc. So after one hour everyone from 2k and up can request a name change.

In addition to this there could be an X month membership required. Preferably at least 2 months.

If you want to further restrict it, you could do the above method on 2 different account ages. From 1 year on the first start at Tblk.gif and when T=1 hour, those who created their accounts in less then 1 year, but have maxed stats could start requesting name changes. After 15 mins those who are 2500+, etc...

This latter could make it way to strict tho, but sometimes strict measurements are needed.

Lol, just lol.

I can't tell if your post is meant to troll or not.

Or maybe you just through it was a good idea to ask for preferential treatment because you've had a comp cape for a whopping 3 months? Ridiculous, and utterly selfish.

Honestly, if you want to make it fair, it should be first come first serve. If the names are hoarded, too bad you were too slow.

Announce the date on which the names will be free'd. Few days before said date, release the name.

There's going to be chaos on the servers anyway, at least this way no one is given special treatment.

• Like 4

I might have went a little overboard with my idea :).

But still, if you read this thread: [qfc]14-15-646-65447141[/qfc], you will find that many are with me that measurements should be taken place in order to prevent the hoard. Whether that is trough a mechanic like I proposed or a headstart of 1 day for players who match a different requirement, many still agreed that at least SOMETHING must be done.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Maybe time since account creation, but still you're going to have favoritism. I think free for all with an announced date and time is the best.

• Like 3

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

I might have went a little overboard with my idea :).

But still, if you read this thread: [qfc]14-15-646-65447141[/qfc], you will find that many are with me that measurements should be taken place in order to prevent the hoard. Whether that is trough a mechanic like I proposed or a headstart of 1 day for players who match a different requirement, many still agreed that at least SOMETHING must be done.

And how many of the players that "are with you" have comp/max capes or are at least close to it? Probably most of them. Its bullcrap. Again i'll say that it is in no way a fair system at all. This gives preferential treatment to certain players.  Is my membership fee more important now, just because of my total level? C'mon, get real. 

Release thelist of names a day or two beforehand, and let the spam-clickers fight it out. If a hoarder ends up taking half the names, like i said too bad you were too slow.

There are many low level players who are just as deserving to have a name they desire than any of the people who are maxed.

• Like 1

+1.And, i mean, unless you have a really crappy, long and unmemorable name (and why would you in the first place?), there is little reason to ever drastically change your name (i guess making the same name simpler would be acceptable). It's who is behind the name who is important. I never had problems communicating with old friends on rs before the name change update even when i'd not talked to them in many years, but nowadays, it's just ridiculous. And for whatever reason most of them assume you know everything about their name history. /rant

Then clearly I've been doing something wrong. Teach me your ways, o people that have never outgrown a name they chose as a teenager, for I have come to hate A Local Guy.

Have you changed your real name? After all, you didn't even have any say in that matter. As i said, it's who is behind the name that is important. I was also mostly referring to people who change their name too often to even keep track.

Are you really comparing IRL names to online display names L

Also, plenty of people have changed their first names IRL, some even their last names but there are more restrictions on last names.

This gives preferential treatment to certain players.

The criteria for freeing up these names that people are clamoring over uses preferential treatment to long-time players and members yet no one seems to be complaining about that.

They're freeing up these names as a way to keep people paying. I understand objecting on the grounds of preferential treatment but I don't see why that argument isn't extended to how they freed them in the first place.

hzvjpwS.gif

I am not saying that the requirement to get to the headstart group has to be solely total level based. Heck for the same it could be limited to those accounts that are at least 6+ months member or have a play time of at least 30 days or their account was created at least 5 years ago.

Just spitting that out there. I do not care what requirement is set. As long there is one set in addition to being a current member. Even if said requirement would make me unable to change the name for the first couple of days. My intention is that players who covet a name, love it deeply and care for it, gets that very name or at least have a better chance at it.

Yes, people will be excluded, but at least bots and/or hoarders will be too. That is the aim. Also it will surely lessen the strain on the system if less players could access said system.

On another note. there are more higher levelled players on the forums simply due they are long standing players. They often are expanding their view and thus go to forums such as the RSOF or this very forum.

• Like 1

Account Help

There has been opened up a thread to discuss the difficulty of obtaining a name. It is in an attempt to get it smoother for the next time and Jagex asked for feedback regarding the issue.

My personal idea:

I was more thinking of a rolling requirement. This entails a name change requirement starting at Maxed (2595) and gets lower every 15-30 minutes. This lowering would be in batches of 100 levels then 200 levels then 300 levels etc. So after one hour everyone from 2k and up can request a name change.

In addition to this there could be an X month membership required. Preferably at least 2 months.

If you want to further restrict it, you could do the above method on 2 different account ages. From 1 year on the first start at Tblk.gif and when T=1 hour, those who created their accounts in less then 1 year, but have maxed stats could start requesting name changes. After 15 mins those who are 2500+, etc...

This latter could make it way to strict tho, but sometimes strict measurements are needed.

Lol, just lol.

Or maybe you just through it was a good idea to ask for preferential treatment because you've had a comp cape for a whopping 3 months? Ridiculous, and utterly selfish.

Honestly, if you want to make it fair, it should be first come first serve. If the names are hoarded, too bad you were too slow.

Announce the date on which the names will be free'd. Few days before said date, release the name.

There's going to be chaos on the servers anyway, at least this way no one is given special treatment.

Yeah, the thing is, for something to be preferential treatment or favoritism, the criteria being judged has to be subjective. A player's total level is a firmly objective criterion, so its not preferential treatment or favoritism in any way, shape, or form. You earn levels, you earn privileges. She's not [bleep]ing suggesting that they give out names to people with [bleep]ing blonde hair first or something. God damn it.

My personal idea:

Lol, just lol.

Yeah, the thing is, for something to be preferential treatment or favoritism, the criteria being judged has to be subjective. A player's total level is a firmly objective criterion, so its not preferential treatment or favoritism in any way, shape, or form. You earn levels, you earn privileges. She's not [bleep]ing suggesting that they give out names to people with [bleep]ing blonde hair first or something. God damn it.

You're kidding right? You earn levels you earn privileges? Did you think that through? So what about the players that spent 1000 hours pking? What about the players that spent 1000 staking? Or pures? Or skillers? Or PvMers? You are giving preferential treatment. You're now suggesting that players should be punished for not playing efficiently.

What a surprise coming from someone in EE. I'm almost shocked.

• Like 4

Nox, that could simply be fixed by an list of 'or' requirements:

Match one of the following for to be allowed to have a headstart:

2000+ Total

or

50 Gamedays player

or

Minimum of 1 year consecutive membership

or

Premium Member

The limitation doesn't have the limit itself to a sole requirement....

Account Help

Being maxed means that you have the privileged to wear a cape and be able to do ALL of the content in the game if you so desire. It means ***NOTHING*** more than that.

• Like 3

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Lamb, that is not true! You get access to the High Level Forum ;D!

But that is just it. Otherwise you are correct and I agree with that. I do not want any special treatment simply because I am Maxed/Comped whatever, its silly.

These restriction would not really affect me. There is potentially only 1 name I want, and I won't be mad/sad if I am not able to get it. As long as someone who an actual player and a honest one gets it, heck that goes for pretty much every name.

Account Help

My personal idea:

Lol, just lol.

You're kidding right? You earn levels you earn privileges? Did you think that through? So what about the players that spent 1000 hours pking? What about the players that spent 1000 staking? Or pures? Or skillers? Or PvMers? You are giving preferential treatment. You're now suggesting that players should be punished for not playing efficiently.

What a surprise coming from someone in EE. I'm almost shocked.

Hey, if you think it's a better idea to use gp instead of xp, I'm all for it.

But it's honestly concerning to me that you think that it's ridiculous to reward people for playing the game. Like seriously, what the [bleep]? Do you really think that someone who's played the game for 10 hours has just as much of a right to a rare name as someone who's played for 1,000 hours?

I'll be the first to admit that total level isn't a perfect way of measuring how much someone deserves a name, but, god damn, it's a [bleep] ton better than giving good names to whoever has the fastest reflexes and internet connection.

But it's honestly concerning to me that you think that it's ridiculous to reward people for playing the game. Like seriously, what the [bleep]? Do you really think that someone who's played the game for 10 hours has just as much of a right to a rare name as someone who's played for 1,000 hours?

I'll be the first to admit that total level isn't a perfect way of measuring how much someone deserves a name, but, god damn, it's a [bleep] ton better than giving good names to whoever has the fastest reflexes and internet connection.

Why not just go with time spent ingame, or something that would give priority to players who are active enough to get some mileage out of a new name? That is the point of this whole system, right?

• Like 1

Why not just go with time spent ingame, or something that would give priority to players who are active enough to get some mileage out of a new name? That is the point of this whole system, right?

That has its own issues, but it'd probably be more fair than using total level

From what I hear, just because you are comped doesn't mean you have or are allowed to have access to the HLF.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

From what I hear, just because you are comped doesn't mean you have or are allowed to have access to the HLF.

I think they do a basic check on you, but yeah, otherwise every skill at 99 is sufficient.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

My personal idea:

Lol, just lol.

That definition is definitely bogus. What a player's total level is an objective fact. However, the notion that those with higher total levels or whatever should recieve any or X priviliges is a subjective  and normative claim, not an objective one.

I don't have a problem with giving priviliges based on whatever criteria, but let's not fool ourselves. It's definitely favouritism (which may or may not be justifiable depending on the circumstances).

I think the only thing that should affect a person's chance to get a name is an average time played (something set low but not notably realistic for mule accounts to have)

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Names are released:

[qfc]15-16-69-65440378[/qfc]

of course, they placed the lists in massive csv files, so at this point there may as well not be a list

Simple ".txt" files would have been one hell of a lot better.  My spreadsheet programs are trying to jump in the way, when I would rather simply view a text-based ".csv" as a simple text file within my browser first.  I don't know what the nuts at Jagex are thinking, but that's going to make it easier for bots and other auto-processes than it will for your everyday average legit player.  People shouldn't have to fight with an outright download before they can view it anyway.  Like, excuse me while I go mentally ragequit on even trying to view that file. :wall:

~Mr. D. V. "I just picked up one more reason to be disgruntled." Devnull

• Like 1

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Most of those names are, ironically, completely undesirable.  My apologies if you called dibs on a00000334 though...

• Like 2

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Most of those names are, ironically, completely undesirable.  My apologies if you called dibs on a00000334 though...

I don't think I would ever want a name like that. :XD:

~D. V. "LMAO!" Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)