Clan Month - The Beginning + Character Name Clean-up - One day Countdown

Miss Lioness

Names are released:

[qfc]15-16-69-65440378[/qfc]

of course, they placed the lists in massive csv files, so at this point there may as well not be a list

Simple ".txt" files would have been one hell of a lot better.  My spreadsheet programs are trying to jump in the way, when I would rather simply view a text-based ".csv" as a simple text file within my browser first.  I don't know what the nuts at Jagex are thinking, but that's going to make it easier for bots and other auto-processes than it will for your everyday average legit player.  People shouldn't have to fight with an outright download before they can view it anyway.  Like, excuse me while I go mentally ragequit on even trying to view that file. :wall:

~Mr. D. V. "I just picked up one more reason to be disgruntled." Devnull

Exporting from a database is frequently done through a CSV file.  The only other, human readable and non-schema-revealing approaches would be tab-separated, or XML.  And God knows we need more XML in the world.

What would've been slick, though, is if they provided a SQLite database so that everyone could just use SQLite to read from it and find a nickname that they wanted.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Names are released:

[qfc]15-16-69-65440378[/qfc]

of course, they placed the lists in massive csv files, so at this point there may as well not be a list

Simple ".txt" files would have been one hell of a lot better. My spreadsheet programs are trying to jump in the way, when I would rather simply view a text-based ".csv" as a simple text file within my browser first. I don't know what the nuts at Jagex are thinking, but that's going to make it easier for bots and other auto-processes than it will for your everyday average legit player. People shouldn't have to fight with an outright download before they can view it anyway. Like, excuse me while I go mentally ragequit on even trying to view that file. :wall:

~Mr. D. V. "I just picked up one more reason to be disgruntled." Devnull

Exporting from a database is frequently done through a CSV file. The only other, human readable and non-schema-revealing approaches would be tab-separated, or XML. And God knows we need more XML in the world.

What would've been slick, though, is if they provided a SQLite database so that everyone could just use SQLite to read from it and find a nickname that they wanted.

Then everyone who refused to learn how to obtain and use it would be whining. Most of them would be those who arent willing to do more than hit CTRL+F.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Hey, if you think it's a better idea to use gp instead of xp, I'm all for it.

But it's honestly concerning to me that you think that it's ridiculous to reward people for playing the game. Like seriously, what the [bleep]? Do you really think that someone who's played the game for 10 hours has just as much of a right to a rare name as someone who's played for 1,000 hours?

I'll be the first to admit that total level isn't a perfect way of measuring how much someone deserves a name, but, god damn, it's a [bleep] ton better than giving good names to whoever has the fastest reflexes and internet connection.

Why not just go with time spent ingame, or something that would give priority to players who are active enough to get some mileage out of a new name? That is the point of this whole system, right?

Let's do this for everything!  I might win then :P

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

I might have went a little overboard with my idea :).

But still, if you read this thread: [qfc]14-15-646-65447141[/qfc], you will find that many are with me that measurements should be taken place in order to prevent the hoard. Whether that is trough a mechanic like I proposed or a headstart of 1 day for players who match a different requirement, many still agreed that at least SOMETHING must be done.

And how many of the players that "are with you" have comp/max capes or are at least close to it? Probably most of them. Its bullcrap. Again i'll say that it is in no way a fair system at all. This gives preferential treatment to certain players.  Is my membership fee more important now, just because of my total level? C'mon, get real. 

Release thelist of names a day or two beforehand, and let the spam-clickers fight it out. If a hoarder ends up taking half the names, like i said too bad you were too slow.

There are many low level players who are just as deserving to have a name they desire than any of the people who are maxed.

Remember, if HLF thinks something is OP or they should receive [cabbage] because they have a cape. Jagex will listen.

Edited by Arceus
profanity
  • Like 1
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

SEEMS to be a bit off topic here, but...

I think the bonuses to the Clan Citadel should be permanent. Even then, they should add some basic facilities like a proper bankchest, a POH portal, and things that could allow you to do some basic bank-related training (think Anvil, Spinning Wheel, or a Farm Patch).

Quote from one of my Times articles about Clan Citadels that I wrote EXACTLY three years ago (the very week that Citadels came out):

It's possible that Jagex have deliberately left out the useful stuff, in order to not upset the non-clan people. But you cannot design clan-only content and have it available to everyone. So sadly, if this is indeed the way Jagex think, the future of Citadels is dim at best.

source: http://www.tip.it/runescape/times/view/655-all-along-their-watchtower

It's about time Jagex takes some ownership of what was at the time their biggest project, which is probably the least used content compared to how much development resources went into it.

Jagex; you HAVE to make something up there better than it is anywhere else in the game, otherwise it's never going to be used!

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

It's even more ironic to me personally, because I would say clan citadels are a reason I actively avoid clans. Every clan I have been in I felt I was being nagged every week to go do the reqs for the clan citadel, which as someone with a comp cape, and very limited play time each week (30mins a day when I can), there is no way I'm deliberately spending that precious time afking something with no purpose.    With the design of the elf city they seem to have a good awareness of what kid of content would appeal to people who don't need xp due to maxing, they just need to apply this to citadels.  

I think adding some sort of clan citadel unique PVM content for one would be a good avenue to go down, perhaps unique slayer monsters (which grant slayer xp) with incredibly rare drops that could be displayed only in the citadel like the monster heads in POH's. Perhaps also dropping the resources needed weekly for the citadel too. Im sure there are many ways they could me made better and appealing.

I agree, although a POH thing may cause some...technical difficulties with the instance worlds and all that.  But the xp for woodcutting has to exceed ivy, fm has to exceed Jadinko's lair or whatever the best free sources is in P2P, etc. down the line...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Most of those names are, ironically, completely undesirable.  My apologies if you called dibs on a00000334 though...

Yea, why don't you just tell everyone the name I wanted to reserve. This is the last time I tell you secrets at pajama party.

• Like 2

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

When they said 2 million names or w/e crazy amount it was for the first batch my first thought was 'well most of them will be the random string bot names from the epidemic days"

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Jagex; you HAVE to make something up there better than it is anywhere else in the game, otherwise it's never going to be used!

Alternatively, people should join clans because they want to be a part of that clan, not because of the rewards.

That's the spirit of it but ultimately it's still a game and people want a means to progress in the game.  If clans are just a time sink to chat or something with no benefit, there isn't really much point.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Alternatively, people should join clans because they want to be a part of that clan, not because of the rewards.

That's the spirit of it but ultimately it's still a game and people want a means to progress in the game. If clans are just a time sink to chat or something with no benefit, there isn't really much point.
Oh snap, there goes my social clan ideas. No benefit to anyone, obviously. Just remove the whole social/community clan recruitment forum on rsof.

[bleep] me since I don't care about xp, must mean there's no benefit to a clan.

• Like 2

Eh, have they said anywhere when the next batch will be released?

I'm hoping that the kids who wanted a numberless, one-word name for the sake of it have already gotten their fill and I won't have to worry about getting the one I actually want when we get to that point in the alphabet.

2dgucz6.png

That's the spirit of it but ultimately it's still a game and people want a means to progress in the game. If clans are just a time sink to chat or something with no benefit, there isn't really much point.
Oh snap, there goes my social clan ideas. No benefit to anyone, obviously. Just remove the whole social/community clan recruitment forum on rsof.

The thing is, for all the moaning about xp of clans people do, most of the clan citadel plots aren't half bad xp since they buffed them earlier in the year.

By all means they aren't the tip top pinnacle of the metagame - but they aren't all that bad either for many plots. Crafting and smithing particularly are rather sweet for the hefty xp at 0 gp cost.

Heck citadel is the only reason I got 99 craft.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Or...you could just use a friends chat?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

I think you're being pretty damn harsh. He simply stated his opinion and made an observation about the direction the meta games been going for years now. You don't really need to be so rude. And imo you're not doing a great job at being this social person you say you and your clan is.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

I think the point being made is that the game is so focused around the meta that if content doesn't surpass or at least challenge it, it would die out quickly. And the content of clan chats isn't being pulled into question, but rather clan citadels. I know some people use them for events but it can be safely assumed that the majority of people are in clans for xp, not the community (though some may stay for that reason)

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Tl;dr: clans exist for all purposes. If you don't agree with it or feel the need to put down other's ideas - shut up.

You're doing the exact same thing.

It could be that instead people are trying to engage in a discussion about the nature of clans rather than forcing people to conform to a single standard you know. That's what forums are for.

This whole obsession with exp vs community is because Jagex had to make clans special little snowflakes by making all these perks that cause people to approach clans for all the wrong reasons. It's essentially made clans into their own "images" for social groups, rather than what a community would dictate it to be. Clans used to be organic creations that either addressed a need - by creating a community, creating a group for a certain activity, etc - but now the population as a whole just sees them as a means of supplementing the exp race.

It was a nice idea in theory but this is the end result of it, so many years later.

hzvjpwS.gif

Wow, that escalated quickly.

Thanks for coming to my defense everyone, but he did have a point.

Clans SHOULD exist mainly for the social element of it. Unfortunately, much of this was destroyed by several well-intended updates to the game that Jagex have made over the years. To name just a few:

-Somehow relevant to this week, the changing of names caused me to no longer recognize half of the people in my friendslist. I see names come online that I've never seen before and wonder about what I should talk to them about.

-Oddly enough; the introduction of Clanchat next to friendschat caused a split. Many existing clans had their own off-site means of communication (Teamspeak and IRC) as well as their own websites with forums. Since the introduction of a Clanchat as well as your own clanforum and front page on the RS premises of the internet, new people to the game have been looking at those rather than some of the clans that exist elsewhere. Tip.it has, like any other fansite, felt this change as well since these forums are nowhere near as active as they once were.

-Dungeoneering, Barbarian Assault, Designated worlds and Shardworlds for minigames like the Fightpit no longer requires of you that you go and seek out where a game is played, and befriend those who play it. Instead what you see more and more these days are alliances of convenience rather than friendships.

-High level content that is impossible to pay for as well as Skillcapes have caused many to move their goalpost a lot father away, and it is statistically impossible to find someone who has the same style AND schedule of playing RS as you do (The famous "Everyone going faster than you is a maniac/no-lifer, and everyone going slower is an idiot/noob" quote applies here).

-The total destruction of F2P. Through making it vastly inferior (it now really is just a trailer to a movie, as opposed to P2P being an expansion of the main game) people who only now start playing the game are wholly aware that the transition to P2P means you're going from being a big fish in a small pond to being an amoeba in the ocean. Couple this with RS07, 15 different combat modes, and very few un-dedicated worlds and you've got a game that has become FAR too compartmentalized. Gated communities are anything but social, and Clans have gone the same way by all being specialized clans rather than communities.

There is no quick fix to this, and the nature of the average RS player has changed as well. The exact moment it changed was when GWD armours came out. Before that, the best weaponry and armours one could achieve were Barrows and Whips where those items were still expensive, but not unattainable for the new player. Right up to that point the different classes were sort of balanced as well (melee had something for everyone's taste, range was cheap and therefore slightly less dangerous, and magic was very vulnerable but also extremely effective). The GWD upset this balance heavily towards Melee. Dungeoneering made it even worse, but by then there was no PvP community left.

I suppose the newly balanced stats of the classes and the option to make combat easier on your hands with Legacy/Revolution modes should slowly see a return to the F2P PvP comunity. But for that to happen, Jagex must give F2P the option to dual-wield range and dual-wield melee, as well as some 2 handed staves for mage at the current highest levels available.

Only this can potentially wean the average player off of being all about the best and cheapest rates of XP/hr and GP/hr. But until that happens, if Jagex wants to make some content used, they got to take advantage of this behaviour.

• Like 1

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

<<<snip>>>

Heck, I know I'm late to the discussion, but taking that one step further, it would also indicate a lack of want/need for (and therefore, benefit from) the "HYT" unofficial clan of this community.  I still remember they supported having social interaction from the F2P bunch, which happened to be one of the various things I liked about it.  Honestly, who really wants to be pressured while in a clan anyway when they're just seeking social interaction? :geek:

~D. V. "Just dropping a notable example in." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

THIS so much this

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)