Technical Questions on EoC

stonewall337

Listed are a few technical/mechanical questions I have about the EOC system.

1.)Armor, what is its value in reducing damage, and is it every useful? Does it impact damage taken or only the chance of being hit?

2.) Style bonus does what, increased damage, increased crit chance, increased accuracy?

3.) Tank v Power armor. Where does something other than bandos/arma/sub matter, either tanking or for damage? I'm assuming weapons are king.

I've got bandos/arma and gano, with RCB/Cstaff/Cclaws but I'm not sure what to aim for next. Considering MH drygore mace.

How long does PoP take to get useful things out of such as DT darts. ATM I'm basing plans on being here for 2 months before I break again for a different MMO's release, so keep that in mind for whether its worth spending days/weeks on new gear, meaning less time rebuilding bank or leveling skills or w.e.

Basically, the mechanical questions and some ideas of what to do next are what I'm looking for :P

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Armour decreases your chance of being hit. It is situationally useful, for instance base tanking at Vorago or tanking Araxxi's magic attack in Ranged armour.

Style bonus increases or decreases your base armour stat against a specific combat style.

GWD power armours are good enough for slayer and QBD, but probably not end level bossing. You'd use Nex gear or Dust gear at bosses like Vorago or Araxxi.

Try to get a tier 90 weapon as soon as possible. Drygore mace is a good start, will let you QBD pretty effectively if that's what you want to do. Dragonbane bolts with chaotic crossbow are also great there, though.

POP depends on how often you're willing to check your ships, but it'd probably take like 5 to 10 minutes out of your daily schedule. If you clear all your voyages daily and optimise your upgrade order you could be looking at a month or two to unlock the armours. Lotus darts won't take as long if you specifically chase that scroll down first, probably 2 weeks to get the scroll, and to get to a region to acquire bones.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

If you're wondering what equipment to focus on next, take a look at my spreadsheets (links in my sig); I maintain those for just such questions.

Ports takes more active time out of your day in the beginning than it does in the end, because voyage times increase. If you can spend the first week checking your ships about as soon as they come back in, you can probably get something useful out of it within a month. It's also a nice daily thing to progress in, if you're wanting something to keep you coming back to the game regularly, and after the first bits it really doesn't take much time out of your day.

Oh, and regarding "style bonus"... you could be referring to a couple of different things.

• If the armor you're wearing doesn't match the weapon you're using, you'll have much lower accuracy with that weapon. (I think the only pieces that matter for this are head/torso/legs, but I'm not sure that's still true.)
  • Ranged armor has more armor against magic enemies and less against melee enemies, etc. etc. around the triangle.
  • Enemies are weak to one of the styles (magic/melee/ranged), and especially weak to one type of weapons within that style (like, say, Fire spells for magic, Bolts for ranged, or Stabbing weapons for melee). The broad style weakness and the specific type weakness both affect accuracy, not damage. Unless you're doing the high tier bosses, the specific type weakness doesn't matter that much, as long as you're matching the general style weakness of melee/mage/range, and the lower level the enemy, the less that broad weakness matters as well.
  • The bonuses you get from accessories (rings/necklaces/amulets/capes, mostly) increase your damage. So an amulet of glory boosts your damage for all three combat styles, while an archer's ring only boosts ranged. This is a somewhat recent change, but it basically switched things back to the old "Strength" bonuses of pre-EoC instead of the crit bonuses that EoC brought.
  • Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

To be more specific, how much does each strength point increase DPS? Going from the 21 of onyx I to 25 on archer/warrior I is about how much DPS, for example.

Also, it thus seems, in regards to armor, that it isn't something to ever worry about, with a few heavy damage/tank type rolls which I don't worry about ATM.

Ye, I know the combattriangle and all that, so I'm looking for technical answers to understand better. Example, each 100 armor reduces enemy chance to hit by X percentage, etc.

Just trying to understand how it works, so I can min/max.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

It depends on how much damage you already have. If your ability damage is 1683, an extra 4 strength bonus (converted to 6 with 2h/dual wielding) is 0.356% damage increase. If your ability damage is 1900, that same bonus is a 0.315% damage increase.

Armour reduction is split into 3 categories:

Defence level: each defence level you have reduces damage taken by 0.1%

Tank armour: your five best pieces of tank armour (including a shield) reduce your damage taken by (armour level/50)%

Shield: wielding a shield reduces your damage taken by (shield level/10)%

The accuracy equation at its most basic form is hit chance = (accuracy/armour), so for instance doubling your armour would halve your target's chance of hitting you (unless they already had over 200% hit chance).

When dealing with damage, there's autoattack damage, and ability damage.

Autoattack damage uses skill bonus damage, weapon damage, and strength bonus damage.

Skill bonus damage takes your strength/ranged/magic level and gives you 2.5 damage per level. This is modified if you're using a two handed weapon (x1.5), and if you're using a weapon slower than Fastest speed (x1.25 for Fast, x1.5 for Average).

Weapon damage is simply added. Any ammo damage (spells, ranged ammo) is then added to the total damage.

Finally, strength bonuses are modified using only speed modifiers, then added.

Offhand weapon damage is calculated in the same way, except that skill bonus damage, ammo damage, and strength bonus damage is halved.

Ability damage is *very* roughly the sum of your main hand and offhand autoattack damage, modified downwards for speed (x0.8 for a Fast weapon, x0.66 for an Average weapon). Because of some rounding, slower weapons have higher final ability damage.

In the case of ranged weapons that use ammunition, ability damage works off the ammo's damage (x1.5 if loaded into a two handed weapon), then modified downwards for speed. This means that the damage bonuses on two handed ranged weapons aren't considered at all in the calculation of ability damage, allowing for some quirks - a level 80 2h crossbow loaded with level 60 bolts would have a lower ability damage than a level 80 1h crossbow loaded with level 60 bolts and a level 80 offhand ranged weapon.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.