[DISCUSSION] Ironman mode

852ttaM

Update coming out on Monday October 13th

Quick find code: 16-17-314-65433538

Hi everyone! At Jagex HQ we’ve watched the Ironman Challenge explode in popularity and have really enjoyed seeing players take on the challenge in youtube videos and livestreams!

If this is new to you, the Ironman Challenge is a community-craze where players start a new RuneScape character and have to play entirely self-sufficiently – you can only use resources and equipment that you’ve got for yourself and cannot get help from others. It’s a lot of fun and really tests your skill and game knowledge, as well as giving that feeling of being a wide-eyed newcomer to RuneScape who has to fend for themselves – even for grizzled veterans blk.gif

As much fun as this is, there are some drawbacks at the moment: there isn’t an easy way to show that you’re playing an ironman character, and there is no way to prove that you’ve honoured the rules of the challenge (or tell if others haven’t).

This is where we could help! We’re considering adding a mode for ironman into the game, to support this awesome community-created gameplay. We’re treating this as an experimental project, and can’t yet guarantee if or when it’ll come out, and may release a very basic implementation before deciding whether it gets developed further.

(The Old School RuneScape team are considering an ironman mode too, which makes a lot of sense as ironman’s popularity really grew out of the OSRS community. If you’re an Old School player keep an eye on the OSRS dev blogs and forums to join that discussion when it starts soon.)

At this early stage, we’d love your feedback and to get some discussion going over the right ruleset for ironman. Here is an outline of the rules and game mechanics we’re considering so far:

- Ironman mode starts with a freshly created character.

- Once entered into the ironman mode, it cannot be turned off.

- When in ironman mode you:

-- Cannot trade with other players

-- Cannot use the Grand Exchange (except for buying Bonds – ironman your way to membership!)

-- Cannot pick up drops from players

-- Cannot pick up drops from monsters you have not killed

-- Cannot participate in multiplayer minigames

-- Cannot be affected by other player’s beneficial spells or abilities (e.g. Ice Asylum, Tele Group, etc)

-- Cannot be affected by group buffs (e.g. clan avatar)

-- Cannot use other player’s POH services (gilded altars, lecterns, etc)

-- Cannot acquire resources or equipment from Treasure Hunter

-- Cannot be assisted or accept aid.

-- Cannot buy items in shops which were supplied by other players

-- Cannot join a Dungeoneering team (only solo allowed)

-- Cannot use the grouping system when it launches

- Players in ironman mode would have a special chat badge, maybe a skull (like the mod crown or VIP star).

- We’ll need to find a way for ironman players to complete Shield of Arrav and Heroes Quest solo.

- As a stretch goal, we’d consider a hiscore table filter to just show ironman players

- And a final twist: an extended mode for the bravest of the brave - Hardcore Ironman!

-- Also requires a freshly created character

-- You only have one life – once you’re dead that’s game over!

-- Only your hiscore remains.

-- Hardcore ironman mode would show a different chat badge (maybe a red skull).

That’s what we’ve got so far. Please let us know if you can think of any other considerations or ways to make this even more fun!

Mods Easty, Philip and Pips.

[DISCUSSION]

My Suggestions: I made a post on the 200M All Skills topic about Ironamn mode. NO MTK, Only Drops are Coins, Bones, Ashes.

p.s. Why is this being discussed in the 200M All Skills topic?

Yeah Good luck to anyone going for 200M All Skills in Ironman mode or Hardcore Ironman mode!!

Ironman Mode - Status Update

Our announcement of an official version of the Ironman Challenge for RuneScape has created quite a stir! In this post I’ll give you an update on progress and tackle some of the common questions and concerns the community has been talking about.

This post will talk about Ironman in “RS3”, the version of Ironman for Old School RuneScape has it's own developer blog over in the Old School Announcements forum.

Treasure Hunter - Let’s get the biggie out of the way first. Treasure Hunter will not be available in Ironman mode. You will not be able to open the treasure hunter minigame nor acquire keys. Being very luck-based, and being associated with micropayments, both mean this was going to be controversial with players looking for purity. Obviously this has an impact on revenue but in this exceptional case I felt it was best to take this decision so Ironman can get as much community support as possible.

Hiscores – Ironman and Hardcore Ironman will both appear on the main hiscores. However, there will be a separate Ironman hiscores too which will show Ironman and Hardcore Ironman accounts. There is then another separate hiscore for just hardcore ironman.

Bonds – Ironman players will be able to buy bonds from the grand exchange, or be given them via trade from another player, but they cannot sell bonds and they cannot redeem bonds for Treasure Hunter keys. This means players can use wealth on other accounts to pay for membership on their Ironman character, as many have requested.

Downgrading – If you want to convert your ironman account to a regular non-ironman account you can do this by buying the Book of Manners from Mr Ex in Edgeville for 100k gp. Can you guess why it’s called that? blk.gif

Worlds – Ironman characters will play on the same worlds as everyone else.

Account linking– or having multiple characters within the same account – this would be a big change to how accounts are managed and characters are selected and we have no plans for this.

Shield of Arrav & Heroes Quest – Key items from these quests can be traded via the normal trade system similar to bonds. All other items are blocked and you’ll receive a message such as ‘You cannot trade this in Ironman mode.’

Monster tagging & drops – You need to both tag and cause at least 50% of the damage to get a drop.

Monster tagging & XP – Your XP from killing monsters will be proportional to your damage contribution.

Disabled features – The following features will be disabled for Ironman players – Lootshare, PvP XP, PvP Loot, Group-based abilities, group-based spells, group-based buffs, other player’s divine locations, Treasure Hunter, Assist, Accept Aid, and Social Slayer. You can still access other players PoH’s except parts of their house are blocked (portals, lectern, altar, etc.)

Nerfed features – Clan Citadel skill plots only give 25% standard XP.

Minigames / D&Ds – Any activities which involve multiple players and give resource or XP rewards will be disabled. This includes Sinkholes and Warbands.

Life-saving items – Such as Ring of Life or Sign of Life. As the player has to earn these themselves, they will be allowed.

Hopefully that covers most of the major discussion points players have been talking about.

Hardcore Ironman

Hardcore Ironman has itself generated a lot of debate. It’s worth noting that we don’t intend this to be a widely used mode: it really is for just the most hardcore of players who want an extremely difficult and high stakes experience.

If you die in Hardcore Ironman mode you are dead forever. You can log into the lobby but not a game world (and therefore stay on the hiscores). However “safe” deaths (such as in dungeoneering) don’t count and are not permanent.

Some players are understandably worried that connection problems could get them killed and they’d lose their character for something that wasn’t their fault – but in our view that is part of the risk and challenge. That said, we are going to put in some very basic safety nets but we’re going to make you work for them – it is ironman after all!

The first option for continuing after death is to unlock the ability to automatically convert your account to regular Ironman if you die. You can buy a Jar of Divine Light from Mr Ex for 100k gp which will mean the gods will see you again upon death, and allow you to return to life as a normal ironman. This is an unlock rather than a physical item (like the scroll of life from Dungeoneering). This will cost GP so players will face a tactical choice in whether they dedicate precious money towards this safety net.

The second safety net is to play long enough to earn an extra life. If you’ve reached total level 1000 and can afford 100k gp you can buy a Divine Coin from Mr Ex, which when offered upon death will return you to life just once. You can buy another at total level 1600 for 10m gp. This means there is a maximum of 2 extra lives and no further.

We feel it’s important to make this feature a reward that you have to earn, rather than it being applied to all (otherwise everyone will just start playing hardcore ironman rather than regular ironman). Be aware that we will not do character rollbacks or recoveries for Hardcore Ironman characters under any circumstances – that’s the risk you accept when starting this type of account.

So that’s nearly the end of the Ironman status update… the final news is to tell you that the start of private testing will begin on 29th September! As you may have seen in this thread we’ve asked for volunteers who can dedicate time to testing a pre-release version of ironman. This testing will be in the live game but only accessible by pre-made accounts that Jagex will provide and which won’t appear on the ironman hiscores. We’ll be randomly selecting a small number of volunteers from the forum thread in the week before the testing begins.

Full release is a bit further away, and will depend on how the private live testing goes.

TL;DR

• Ironman won’t have Treasure Hunter.
  • Bonds can be acquired but not sold, and not redeemed for Treasure Hunter keys.
  • In regular Ironman mode you’ll be able to buy an item with gp which immediately converts your account to normal (non-ironman).
  • In Hardcore Ironman you’ll be able to buy an item with gp which if you die converts your account to regular ironman.
  • At total level 1000 you can buy an extra life for 100k gp, and at total level 1600 you can buy another for 10m gp.
  • Private live testing will begin w/c 29th September, but such accounts won’t appear on hiscores.

We’re really interested in your feedback, especially around the topics of death in hardcore ironman mode. Overall we think this is a good rule-set (and we don’t want it to become more complicated) but we’d love to know your thoughts on the balance and details.

Thanks and we look forward to your thoughts and to bringing you more info in the near future.

Mods Pips, Easty, Philip, Ryan, Drew and Kelpie.

BTS 119 - Ironman Mode

Edited by 852ttaM

Going for 200M All Skills on Matt258. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RuneScape

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

The reason it was being discussed was people were interested in efficient ways to 200m all, with ironman. The threads dead anyways.

I disagree that MTK should be removed from available options as a Diy. Otherwise you shouldn't be allowed to use leprechauns, talk to NPCs, or kill any monsters.

• Like 2

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

I hope they allow a discontinuing option for those who start out in IronMan Mode, but later change their minds and wish to give up on such an extreme challenge.  At least those players, and their characters, could then switch down to Normal mode and resume playing that way.  Obviously, they would not be allowed to re-enter IronMan Mode after they switch away from it. :-k

~D. V. "That thought was poking my mind." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I hope they allow a discontinuing option for those who start out in IronMan Mode, but later change their minds and wish to give up on such an extreme challenge.  At least those players, and their characters, could then switch down to Normal mode and resume playing that way.  Obviously, they would not be allowed to re-enter IronMan Mode after they switch away from it. :-k

~D. V. "That thought was poking my mind." Devnull

If I remember right it can be toggled off but not on, so there will be said option.  They better safeguard it though, for obvious security reasons!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Not a bad idea to have a separate topic for this, honestly, so that folks who don't frequent the 200m topic can find their way into the discussion.

My Suggestions: I made a post on the 200M All Skills topic about Ironamn mode. NO MTK, Only Drops are Coins, Bones, Ashes.

The idea is that Jagex is adding official support for the existing community varient of DIY; they're just renaming it "Ironman." They aren't creating a new hard game-mode from scratch.

The widely-accepted DIY rules say nothing about MTK or fiddling with monster drops; it'd actually be impossible to obtain most high-end equipment if you couldn't get it from monster drops and also couldn't buy it from players! And MTK is an excellent source of resources for DIY players that doesn't involve interacting with other players, so there's no reason to exclude that for DIY players. I see no reason to alter the drops Ironman characters get from monsters or to bar MTK.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Monsters obviously still need to give normal drops. To do otherwise would just be silly. The bigger question, IMO, is what to do at multiplayer bosses. Personally, I would support allowing Ironman characters to do multiplayer bosses IF they do them only with other Ironman characters. Whoever gets the drop gets the drop. While this is obviously not an ideal arrangement, to do otherwise would be to simply deny Ironman players access to endgame equipment. If an Ironman player wants drygores, they should be able to get them if they're willing to put in enough time fighting the KK. Just my two cents.

Grate_Scot.png

Monsters obviously still need to give normal drops. To do otherwise would just be silly. The bigger question, IMO, is what to do at multiplayer bosses. Personally, I would support allowing Ironman characters to do multiplayer bosses IF they do them only with other Ironman characters. Whoever gets the drop gets the drop. While this is obviously not an ideal arrangement, to do otherwise would be to simply deny Ironman players access to endgame equipment. If an Ironman player wants drygores, they should be able to get them if they're willing to put in enough time fighting the KK. Just my two cents.

You can get t90 gear without doing team bosses via ports and araxxor

Tranquil.png

Not a bad idea to have a separate topic for this, honestly, so that folks who don't frequent the 200m topic can find their way into the discussion.

The idea is that Jagex is adding official support for the existing community varient of DIY; they're just renaming it "Ironman." They aren't creating a new hard game-mode from scratch.

The widely-accepted DIY rules say nothing about MTK or fiddling with monster drops; it'd actually be impossible to obtain most high-end equipment if you couldn't get it from monster drops and also couldn't buy it from players! And MTK is an excellent source of resources for DIY players that doesn't involve interacting with other players, so there's no reason to exclude that for DIY players. I see no reason to alter the drops Ironman characters get from monsters or to bar MTK.

With MTK: That is an Easy way to get resources though. DIY means: Get the resources yourself. You want Herbs? Farm. You want Logs: Cut Trees You want Coal: Mine it

Monster drops: They shouldn't drop: Armor, Runes, Arrows, Gems, etc Resources.

Going for 200M All Skills on Matt258. [qfc]48-49-837-63099395[/qfc]

@Matt258RS Twitch: Matt258RuneScape

Whatpulse
My Youtube user name: birdman258 200MCook ProfitCook 200mPrayer MakinWines MyF2pSkillers

With MTK: That is an Easy way to get resources though. DIY means: Get the resources yourself. You want Herbs? Farm. You want Logs: Cut Trees You want Coal: Mine it

so they can never make a slayer helm, or get unique armours, or get the high end gear? resources i get, gear, i dont.

baileydafrog.png

Messing with drops and MTK is too far, and makes no sense. The idea is to be self sufficient, not to make the game harder arbitrarily. They should just do it like most people have done DIY forever - no trading/interacting with players. 

Things that would be impossible without interaction (bosses, etc) should be reviewed case-by-case, and still with limits most likely. Only FFA bosses. 

• Like 1
2s0cxth.png

Diy/Ironman has always been considered a self sufficient game style focused on a lack of player interaction. Your definition/opinion of diy is an extreme and too literal interpretation.

• Like 7

Tranquil.png

That isn't how Ironman mode works.

• Like 2

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Ironman mode discussion update:

Ironman Mode - Status Update

Our announcement of an official version of the Ironman Challenge for RuneScape has created quite a stir! In this post I’ll give you an update on progress and tackle some of the common questions and concerns the community has been talking about.

This post will talk about Ironman in “RS3”, and the version of Ironman for Old School RuneScape will have it's own devblog later today.

Treasure Hunter - Let’s get the biggie out of the way first. Treasure Hunter will not be available in Ironman mode. You will not be able to open the treasure hunter minigame nor acquire keys. Being very luck-based, and being associated with micropayments, both mean this was going to be controversial with players looking for purity. Obviously this has an impact on revenue but in this exceptional case I felt it was best to take this decision so Ironman can get as much community support as possible.

Hiscores – Ironman and Hardcore Ironman will both appear on the main hiscores. However, there will be a separate Ironman hiscores too which will show Ironman and Hardcore Ironman accounts. There is then another separate hiscore for just hardcore ironman.

Bonds – Ironman players will be able to buy bonds from the grand exchange, or be given them via trade from another player, but they cannot sell bonds and they cannot redeem bonds for Treasure Hunter keys. This means players can use wealth on other accounts to pay for membership on their Ironman character, as many have requested.

Downgrading – If you want to convert your ironman account to a regular non-ironman account you can do this by buying the Book of Manners from Mr Ex in Edgeville for 100k gp. Can you guess why it’s called that? :)

Worlds – Ironman characters will play on the same worlds as everyone else.

Account linking– or having multiple characters within the same account – this would be a big change to how accounts are managed and characters are selected and we have no plans for this.

Shield of Arrav & Heroes Quest – Key items from these quests can be traded via the normal trade system similar to bonds. All other items are blocked and you’ll receive a message such as ‘You cannot trade this in Ironman mode.’

Monster tagging & drops – You need to both tag and cause at least 50% of the damage to get a drop.

Monster tagging & XP – Your XP from killing monsters will be proportional to your damage contribution.

Disabled features – The following features will be disabled for Ironman players – Lootshare, PvP XP, PvP Loot, Group-based abilities, group-based spells, group-based buffs, other player’s divine locations, Treasure Hunter, Assist, Accept Aid, and Social Slayer. You can still access other players PoH’s except parts of their house are blocked (portals, lectern, altar, etc.)

Nerfed features – Clan Citadel skill plots only give 25% standard XP.

Minigames / D&Ds – Any activities which involve multiple players and give resource or XP rewards will be disabled. This includes Sinkholes and Warbands.

Life-saving items – Such as Ring of Life or Sign of Life. As the player has to earn these themselves, they will be allowed.

Hopefully that covers most of the major discussion points players have been talking about.

Hardcore Ironman

Hardcore Ironman has itself generated a lot of debate. It’s worth noting that we don’t intend this to be a widely used mode: it really is for just the most hardcore of players who want an extremely difficult and high stakes experience.

If you die in Hardcore Ironman mode you are dead forever. You can log into the lobby but not a game world (and therefore stay on the hiscores). However “safe” deaths (such as in dungeoneering) don’t count and are not permanent.

Some players are understandably worried that connection problems could get them killed and they’d lose their character for something that wasn’t their fault – but in our view that is part of the risk and challenge. That said, we are going to put in some very basic safety nets but we’re going to make you work for them – it is ironman after all!

The first option for continuing after death is to unlock the ability to automatically convert your account to regular Ironman if you die. You can buy a Jar of Divine Light from Mr Ex for 100k gp which will mean the gods will see you again upon death, and allow you to return to life as a normal ironman. This is an unlock rather than a physical item (like the scroll of life from Dungeoneering). This will cost GP so players will face a tactical choice in whether they dedicate precious money towards this safety net.

The second safety net is to play long enough to earn an extra life. If you’ve reached total level 1000 and can afford 100k gp you can buy a Divine Coin from Mr Ex, which when offered upon death will return you to life just once. You can buy another at total level 1600 for 10m gp. This means there is a maximum of 2 extra lives and no further.

We feel it’s important to make this feature a reward that you have to earn, rather than it being applied to all (otherwise everyone will just start playing hardcore ironman rather than regular ironman). Be aware that we will not do character rollbacks or recoveries for Hardcore Ironman characters under any circumstances – that’s the risk you accept when starting this type of account.

So that’s nearly the end of the Ironman status update… the final news is to tell you that the start of private testing will begin on 29th September! As you may have seen in this thread we’ve asked for volunteers who can dedicate time to testing a pre-release version of ironman. This testing will be in the live game but only accessible by pre-made accounts that Jagex will provide and which won’t appear on the ironman hiscores. We’ll be randomly selecting a small number of volunteers from the forum thread in the week before the testing begins.

Full release is a bit further away, and will depend on how the private live testing goes.

TL;DR

Ironman won’t have Treasure Hunter.

Bonds can be acquired but not sold, and not redeemed for Treasure Hunter keys.

In regular Ironman mode you’ll be able to buy an item with gp which immediately converts your account to normal (non-ironman).

In Hardcore Ironman you’ll be able to buy an item with gp which if you die converts your account to regular ironman.

At total level 1000 you can buy an extra life for 100k gp, and at total level 1600 you can buy another for 10m gp.

Private live testing will begin w/c 29th September, but such accounts won’t appear on hiscores.

We’re really interested in your feedback, especially around the topics of death in hardcore ironman mode. Overall we think this is a good rule-set (and we don’t want it to become more complicated) but we’d love to know your thoughts on the balance and details.

Thanks and we look forward to your thoughts and to bringing you more info in the near future.

Mods Pips, Easty, Philip, Ryan, Drew and Kelpie.

• Like 2

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Oh please, 100K of insurance is a small price to pay in exchange for never using the account again, even as normal ironman if you die.  I guess it won't be released until October then, but should be fun :P.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Seems like a solid set of parameters; I like.

Very glad they decided to pull TH. I kinda wonder if MMG's announced departure opened the door for that to be possible.

• Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Have they posted any word on whether you will be able to reset a currently existing account into an ironman account? Obviously this would cause losing all stats, possessions, etc.

They haven't mentioned it. It would be nice to be able to completely reset an account into Ironman mode to avoid losing settings and the name of that acc.

• Like 1

Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

Have they posted any word on whether you will be able to reset a currently existing account into an ironman account? Obviously this would cause losing all stats, possessions, etc.

They haven't mentioned it. It would be nice to be able to completely reset an account into Ironman mode to avoid losing settings and the name of that acc.

I agree, but I didn't see anyone discussing it, so I figured I'd check just in case I missed it.

Thank you.

lightningsig-1.jpg

So if I decide to drop thousands of resources and high tier equipment, is there going to be anything to stop an iron man account from picking it up?

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

So if I decide to drop thousands of resources and high tier equipment, is there going to be anything to stop an iron man account from picking it up?

Original post said they can't pick up drops from other players.

• Like 3

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

the logic behind no MTK would be to say no NPCs no bank no quests

would be a very bland version of runescape!

was very worried I woudn`t be motivated to play the rs3 hc ironman version but jagex came to their senses and completely disabled treasure hunter :)

being able to buy 2 extra lives on hardcore with RSGP though is pretty softcore of them

anyone else going to rush the high level divination for godmode too?! along with dungeon and high quest points asap!

Itam.gif