Can Jagex detect real world trading?

johny040

My question is can jagex detect people who are real world trading? For example, somebody giving me large amounts of money and me not giving anything in return and vice versa.

Are there ways to avoid being detected for real trading?

I don't do this, i'm just curious and want to know.

Thanks in advance.

Yes they do, and we don't know exactly how it works. If we did, a workaround would be quite easy =3.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

In most cases, a company attempting to do RWT would be transferring to all sorts of IP addresses all over the world from one centralized location and that would send up some flags.  Jagex has said in the past that they monitor all large transactions.  And honestly, who's going to try to buy 10M for $3.50 from some illicit site when you can spend $5 for a perfectly legitimate bond instead and get almost as much?

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

In most cases, a company attempting to do RWT would be transferring to all sorts of IP addresses all over the world from one centralized location and that would send up some flags.  Jagex has said in the past that they monitor all large transactions.  And honestly, who's going to try to buy 10M for $3.50 from some illicit site when you can spend $5 for a perfectly legitimate bond instead and get almost as much?

I don't honestly know anyone who only buys 10m at a time. From what I see, rtw is usually in the hundreds of millions at a time and not though some crappy gold selling site. And while 10m for $3.50 and 7m for $5 might not sound like a big difference, it is almost double the cost. Nobody is going to buy 400m at $.71 per mil when you can get it for $.35 per mil.

• Like 2

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

since bonds make up a large portion of reasons for gifting already, introducing that system really cut down on the ability to hide these things under the guise of gifts these days simply by narrowing the scope of transactions that needed scrutinizing

8f14270694.jpg

I don't honestly know anyone who only buys 10m at a time. From what I see, rtw is usually in the hundreds of millions at a time and not though some crappy gold selling site. And while 10m for $3.50 and 7m for $5 might not sound like a big difference, it is almost double the cost. Nobody is going to buy 400m at $.71 per mil when you can get it for $.35 per mil.

Right, that was my point.. :P.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Right, that was my point.. :P.

Sorry, I couldn't detect the sarcasm in your post.

19509_s.gif

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

There were times were i gave large amounts gold away and i get an e-mail a few days later saying:

Dear player,

we have strong evidence that you may have attempted a transfer of accounts or traded RuneScape virtual items outside of the game environment.

Real-world trading is destroying RuneScape, violates your agreement with Jagex, and any player that continues to engage in the illegal activity has no place in our community.

All of your accounts, main and otherwise, are now on our watch list and will be monitored for real-world trading. Regardless of who you are or how long you've been with us, if you decide to real-world trade ever again we will have no hesitation in: (1) permanently removing your account from our wonderful community in order to protect Jagex's rights, and (2) naming you as a defendant in Jagex Limited v. John Does, which is a lawsuit based on antitrust law violations that is currently pending in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California (Civ. Action No. SACV11-00969-CJC).

If you ignore this email and instead continue real-world trading, we reserve our rights to pursue statutory damages against you for between $200 to $2,500 per act of past, present, and/or future real-world trading in accordance with 17 U.S.C. 1203©(3).

Additionally, your account has received infractions that will result in a temporary suspension if unchallenged.

Please click the following link to monitor your account's status or to appeal the infractions:
Link removed ~ Kimberly

Notice: Due to recent technical problems, some accounts may have been unfairly punished. The majority of void infractions have been removed. We urge you to visit the appeal section to appeal any unjustified infractions received due to system errors.

It is likely a scam email. They rarely (to my knowledge) contact you outside of ingame messages. If you've visited the link, I would strongly advise running any antivirus you have and other programs, ensure you don't have a keylogger or other malware then change your account details through the official Jagex page.

• Like 2

Tranquil.png

[2:21:46 PM] Baldvin | Leik: these comp reqs are so bad

[2:22:36 PM] Arceus Dark: Time to get...req'd?

Those type of mails are always phisers.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Echoing what's said above, that's ALWAYS a phish.  If Jagex thinks you are RWTing, they will disable your account and you will get a message in your in-game inbox about it.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

^ This guy.

But, IDK anyone personally who's been caught for RWT (or if they have, they've not told me). I know many who have in the past and still do - some buying/selling between each other, others buying/selling to various companies. They transfer hundreds of millions to billions and are still logging in each day. That said, I'm sure they detect some, but not all by any means.

09144a99bb.png

Just buy bonds. ;)

More old-school than you know...

battlethingz.png

Proud Member of The Slayer's Guild since April 7th 2009.
Skill Total Goal Complete: 2500 - November 12th 2014.
Goal Total Experience: 338,895,206 - Goal complete November 2nd 2014.
Next Goal Experience: 1,000,000,000 -
Personal Kalphite Queen Guide
Follow My PoP Blog!

Just buy bonds. ;)

Not everyone is going to pay 3x the price for licit gold when illicit gold is cheaper, tho./

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Just buy bonds. ;)

Not everyone is going to pay 3x the price for licit gold when illicit gold is cheaper, tho./

True, but what do players do with that illicit gold they bought? They buy either levels or items. Treasure hunteris the place to go to buy levels. With the introduction of bonus weekends, skilling outfits, and other promotions, treasure hunter has taken a good portion of the illicit gold market. In addition, it has brought people into the "real world trading" market that never would have before; who can pass up a prismania?

Regarding the original topic, historically jagex only takes out the mass traders that literally make a living buying and selling gold for margins. Other then that, also historically speaking, Jagex usually only takes out players that dump 50b+ in gold. The minor trades of a few mil are far to difficult to track for it to be worth Jagex time. Their approach has been to be more proactive rather than reactive; ie, keeping it in house and making other methods easier and more attractive (bonds, solomons, keys, etc.)

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

True, but what do players do with that illicit gold they bought? They buy either levels or items. Treasure hunteris the place to go to buy levels. With the introduction of bonus weekends, skilling outfits, and other promotions, treasure hunter has taken a good portion of the illicit gold market. In addition, it has brought people into the "real world trading" market that never would have before; who can pass up a prismania?

It isn't unheard of that people buy illicit gold to buy bonds if they are having a promotion.

• Like 1

19509_s.gif

“Mmmhmm.”

Just buy bonds. ;)

Regarding the original topic, historically jagex only takes out the mass traders that literally make a living buying and selling gold for margins. Other then that, also historically speaking, Jagex usually only takes out players that dump 50b+ in gold. The minor trades of a few mil are far to difficult to track for it to be worth Jagex time. Their approach has been to be more proactive rather than reactive; ie, keeping it in house and making other methods easier and more attractive (bonds, solomons, keys, etc.)

Are you saying people buy illicit gold and then spend illicit gold on keys?  Is it not more cost-effective to just buy keys from Jagex?  What is the cost of one key in real life money for buying large quantites?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Just buy bonds. ;)

Are you saying people buy illicit gold and then spend illicit gold on keys?  Is it not more cost-effective to just buy keys from Jagex?  What is the cost of one key in real life money for buying large quantites?

The image you posted in the pictures thread shows RWTers selling gold for 44 cents per mill. Bonds are $5. Current price is 7.4M, giving you 68 cents per mill. That's 50% more than the RWT price. If you use the average price of a bond, that jumps up to 75% more. If you're buying just a few M, it's not a huge difference. However, if you're buying in the hundreds of M, I can definitely see some people taking that risk.

*fun fact - they are the same price for USD and CAD even though USD is worth more. If any Canadians want to save 10%, switch your country from Canada to US

Just buy bonds. ;)

No I wasn't saying that at all. I was saying the opposite actually, which I obviously did not word well enough haha. Most transactions for illicit gold are kids buying small amounts; 1-100m. This gold would be used for one of two things most of the time- an item or levels/99. If it's the second option you should just go right to treasure hunter. Even if buying illicit gold is better, treasure hunter is right there easy to access, takes no research, and is fast. Add in the skilling promotions and I'd say Jagex has easily taken a huge chunk of the market that used to go to illicit sites.

If they want an item, sure it may be cheaper with illicit gold, but again bonds are right there, in your face every day, fast and safe and easy. And for the players wanting small amounts (1-50m) it's not very expensive.

I think Jagex has done a great job at curbing illicit gold trades. The options they made available may not be optimal, but they are safe, fast, easy, and Jagex approved.

My other point is Jagex has, if anything, expanded the market of players that "real world trade". With skilling outfit promotions, and prismania, etc, players that never would have bought exp/gp have and will when these promotions come out.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

What I'm worried about is that somebody could just randomly give someone else hundreds of millions for free in trade and it would look no different from RWT on Jagex's end.

And let's say somebody pays a RWT company type thing to just go and give away gold to some player they want banned. There's no rule that says "if someone you don't know offers to give you large amounts of wealth for free, you must refuse", the player is doing nothing wrong by accepting the free money (and most players would be crazy not to.)

Yet, it would look no different to Jagex than if said player had personally bought gold.

• Like 1

What I'm worried about is that somebody could just randomly give someone else hundreds of millions for free in trade and it would look no different from RWT on Jagex's end.

And let's say somebody pays a RWT company type thing to just go and give away gold to some player they want banned. There's no rule that says "if someone you don't know offers to give you large amounts of wealth for free, you must refuse", the player is doing nothing wrong by accepting the free money (and most players would be crazy not to.)

Yet, it would look no different to Jagex than if said player had personally bought gold.

Remember we're just talking about flagging accounts.  Jagex would then look at the target group and decide who the guilty parties were.  Besides I think Jagex's main objective would be to find the people farming the gold and ban them, because making gold harder to farm/causing gold farmers significant losses lowers supply, and guess what, forces them to jack up their prices.  With less of a difference between the two, the illicit option becomes less attractive and less gold gets sold.  Or, if they hold prices firm, they still have less gold to sell to would-be buyers.  So going after and banning every player buying gold just seems like an option that is less effective, and as you pointed out, harder to gather evidence for.

• Like 1

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Just buy bonds. ;)

No I wasn't saying that at all. I was saying the opposite actually, which I obviously did not word well enough haha. Most transactions for illicit gold are kids buying small amounts; 1-100m. This gold would be used for one of two things most of the time- an item or levels/99. If it's the second option you should just go right to treasure hunter. Even if buying illicit gold is better, treasure hunter is right there easy to access, takes no research, and is fast. Add in the skilling promotions and I'd say Jagex has easily taken a huge chunk of the market that used to go to illicit sites.

If they want an item, sure it may be cheaper with illicit gold, but again bonds are right there, in your face every day, fast and safe and easy. And for the players wanting small amounts (1-50m) it's not very expensive.

I think Jagex has done a great job at curbing illicit gold trades. The options they made available may not be optimal, but they are safe, fast, easy, and Jagex approved.

My other point is Jagex has, if anything, expanded the market of players that "real world trade". With skilling outfit promotions, and prismania, etc, players that never would have bought exp/gp have and will when these promotions come out.

*citation needed*

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Glad I only use keys or bonds..lol

More old-school than you know...

battlethingz.png

Proud Member of The Slayer's Guild since April 7th 2009.
Skill Total Goal Complete: 2500 - November 12th 2014.
Goal Total Experience: 338,895,206 - Goal complete November 2nd 2014.
Next Goal Experience: 1,000,000,000 -
Personal Kalphite Queen Guide
Follow My PoP Blog!

I presume they have automated detection systems in place (that monitor high wealth trades). But i don't know how effective they are. I know for sure people who have RWT'ed this year (months ago) and nothing has happened to them. I have also heard of stories of people who were 'caught' for RWT'ing then subsequently unbanned. So yeah...