Things in RuneScape that make no sense.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Alright, I thought I might as well make a thread like this, I didn't see it elsewhere, so I thought hey why the heck not?

This thread is exactly about what the title suggests, things in RuneScape that make no sense, alright I'll start.

The fact that you need specific level to hold an item.

What the heck is prohibiting you from using a dragon longsword at a low level?

Ok, maybe it makes sense with dragon equipment as they're somewhat magical.

But rune items? Nope, not at all.

Also the fact that you can eat sharks in one bite, that makes no sense.

And how come chocolate cakes take three bites and pizzas only take two? It takes longer to eat a huge pizza than it does a chocolate cake.

So yeah, hope this will make for a fun discussion. It's fun to look at nonsense in games.

As far as mechanics that are unrealistic that I feel are also bad design, I hate that making 100k of the same item, somehow makes you more competent at making unrelated items. 

lol just finished making 100k air orbs, now lets go craft some onxy ammies, that I know how to make perfectly despite never touching a chisel before.

I'm going to draw a hundred thousand circles in preparation for sculpting a copy of Pietà. What could possibly go wrong~?

• Like 1

The levels required for weapons do make sense imo. If the level of the weapon is higher it is more difficult to handle, and thus if you would use it under that level you would hurt yourself instead of the opponent. But yeah lots of things don't make sense, but it is a RPG, wouldn't be fun if everything made sense :P

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

The levels required for weapons do make sense imo. If the level of the weapon is higher it is more difficult to handle, and thus if you would use it under that level you would hurt yourself instead of the opponent. But yeah lots of things don't make sense, but it is a RPG, wouldn't be fun if everything made sense :P

I agree with this - levels are just applying a scaling system to a skill.

Attack for example is in essence swordsmanship - how talented you are at handling a blade/axe/other weapon.

The higher level weapons are harder to handle and thus you must be more skilled to use them.

Also for me the other ones in the top post are all fine:

Graphically chocolates cakes are a full on victoria sponge style cake that takes quite some time for a single person to eat. Even if I'm being greedy guts that kind of cake would last me at least a couple of days with the eatting spread throughout the day.

Meanwhile pizzas I can quite happily eat a 12 inch pizza in 1 sitting as a meal; not to mention pizza we have no sense of scale from the graphic. They could be mini pizzas like 8 inch or so for all we know.

Sharks, as I mentioned in other threads previously, there are small species (ie cat sharks), you doont have to assume we are eating great white sharks or w/e

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Alright, the explanation for holding a weapon are understandable, and I accept it.

Sharks, as I mentioned in other threads previously, there are small species (ie cat sharks), you doont have to assume we are eating great white sharks or w/e

But at no point am I cutting the shark.

In fact I'm doing literally nothing after I'm done cooking it.

I also don't get how it's so easy to eat lobsters, in real life lobsters are one of the most complicated food to eat.

And for the record I don't mind things not making sense in the game, I don't mind it at all. It's just fun to look at some of the nonsense and talk about it.

Want to hold millions of cannonballs in your backpack? Sure! But 29 shrimp? No No No No No!!!!

• Like 1

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

RNG.

Some people get Araxxor pets in 1-2 kills, others are at nearly 2,000 and still don't have it. (That's a true story by the way). Basically, the game does not reward effort, skill or persistence whatsoever. Some things in life are out of our control, and based purely on luck, and lotteries do exist in real life. However, in RS basically everything of consequence is RNG based. As even RS Wikia acknowledges, under the current drop system, you can kill a monster forever and still not be guaranteed the drop. Take PVM for instance. The Vitalis pet (one of rarest in the game), there are people with minimal knowledge and experience at Rago who have it after a handful of kills, and people with thousands of kills that don't. In what world does that make sense? You'd think the most skilled and experience and dedicated boss hunter deserves the best prizes, not some lucky inexperienced scrub, but not according to Jagex! I don't mind some things being guaranteed (say such as Treasure Trails), but everything being RNG-ed is upsetting.

Now I have fared better than most, I have gotten my share of God Wars drops when they were worth tons, same with Nex drops when they were worth billions or hundreds of millions, same with Rago, Rots, and Araxxor. But there are times where it's frustrating. So this isn't necessarily the stereotypical rant about how I never get drops and how I am poor (I am not - I don't have no dicer bank, but I am according to Jagex wealthier than the overwhelming vast majority of players ). It makes no sense.

Jagex has a pathological obsession with RNG. I have thought as of late I should suggest to them that they should have a RNG-based pay system. Regardless of what any particular J-Mod does, how much skill it takes or effort or time, they will all have to draw out of a raffle that will be completely independent of those factors and based purely on luck. What's that Chris L? You made 4 high level bosses in 2013? Sorry, but your raffle only suggests you deserve a minimum wage salary for that year - better luck next time. Would have those [bleep]ers singing a new tune in no time about the righteousness of RNG.

I'd personally prefer that to be illustrated in other ways.

Such as wielding a rune weapon before the required level results in greatly gimped damaged ranges/accuracy below that of weapons in your level range and not being able to use special attacks.

And wearing armor below required defence level significantly lowers your speed of attack, like 10x slower then originally and also prevents using special attacks since your character doesn't know how to move properly in bulky armor yet.

In their defense, straight level requirements exist in other games without too much issue. It's just another of those omnipresent RPG elements that only makes sense in the context of a videogame. Kind of like how breakable weapons tend to work perfectly until the last use, in spite of the fact that they may be visibly falling apart up until that point, though that and health get a pass because the alternative is just really awful to play (see: The Banner Saga).

On a similar note, all of those apex predator-tier monsters that conveniently herd themselves into caves? Food should probably be an issue.

We went from a complete F2P game with a beautiful worth-it P2P side to freemium/pay2win bullshit.

hate it, spit on it, shit on it

Level requirements make sense to me:

I don't see 8year olds running around with two handed swords;.. You need strength for that.

• Like 2
Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

RNG.

Some people get Araxxor pets in 1-2 kills, others are at nearly 2,000 and still don't have it. (That's a true story by the way). Basically, the game does not reward effort, skill or persistence whatsoever. Some things in life are out of our control, and based purely on luck, and lotteries do exist in real life. However, in RS basically everything of consequence is RNG based. As even RS Wikia acknowledges, under the current drop system, you can kill a monster forever and still not be guaranteed the drop. Take PVM for instance. The Vitalis pet (one of rarest in the game), there are people with minimal knowledge and experience at Rago who have it after a handful of kills, and people with thousands of kills that don't. In what world does that make sense? You'd think the most skilled and experience and dedicated boss hunter deserves the best prizes, not some lucky inexperienced scrub, but not according to Jagex! I don't mind some things being guaranteed (say such as Treasure Trails), but everything being RNG-ed is upsetting.

Now I have fared better than most, I have gotten my share of God Wars drops when they were worth tons, same with Nex drops when they were worth billions or hundreds of millions, same with Rago, Rots, and Araxxor. But there are times where it's frustrating. So this isn't necessarily the stereotypical rant about how I never get drops and how I am poor (I am not - I don't have no dicer bank, but I am according to Jagex wealthier than the overwhelming vast majority of players ). It makes no sense.

Jagex has a pathological obsession with RNG. I have thought as of late I should suggest to them that they should have a RNG-based pay system. Regardless of what any particular J-Mod does, how much skill it takes or effort or time, they will all have to draw out of a raffle that will be completely independent of those factors and based purely on luck. What's that Chris L? You made 4 high level bosses in 2013? Sorry, but your raffle only suggests you deserve a minimum wage salary for that year - better luck next time. Would have those [bleep]ers singing a new tune in no time about the righteousness of RNG.

While RNG often doesn't make sense in real life, I wouldn't like RS if it wasn't based on RNG

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

RNG.

While RNG often doesn't make sense in real life, I wouldn't like RS if it wasn't based on RNG

For me RNG has a place in Runescape for sure but there needs to be some checks and balances on RNG.

i.e. The RNG should be progressively kinder on the elite 1 off show-off drops and I think to an extent with certain monster drops you could implement a sort of sliding scale to the RNG so every x kills without one of the big drops makes you slightly more likely to get those drops, but then as soon as you get them it scales back to default.

Nothing overly kind or game breaking, just enough of a fail safe system that guarantees effort, dedication and persistence will be rewarded instead of the current situation where you can become stuck in an infinite loop of RNG and never get anywhere.

For me the biggest areas RNG is failing is the elite show-off drops (aka the pet drops and Kalger titles) and the champion challenge scrolls.

For drops that can be sold I don't necessarily think it is an issue as such, but using the idea of some gentle scaling across the boarding on all monsters wouldn't be a bad thing. Just to help nudge players away from dry streaks by improving odds a bit on all the drops that are considered good ones. I mean if you have ok luck it'd pretty much never really impact you as you'd be getting consistently reset by getting good drops, but if you hit a dry spell it'd just help to make that dry spell end instead of potentially killing a profitable monster and making a lose due to suck rng.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Showing up in Lumbridge afrer dieing in deep wildy makes no sense. :)

It's called being reborn.

I know that many atheists don't believe in reincarnation but I do. I believe that when somebody dies, they will be reborn in a different body.

But you are reborn in your same body in runescape  ;) so it is not reincarnation in runescape, no matter if it exists in the real world.

Retired item crew

I know that many atheists don't believe in reincarnation but I do. I believe that when somebody dies, they will be reborn in a different body.

Actually in the lore of the game you never die, ever.

Mod Osbourne confirmed it, its why when you re-enter boss battles for example the npcs aren't like oh you again. It's like a little time loop do over, which does make a lot more sense once you factor in death taking you to the last hub you visited now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Mod Osbourne confirmed it, its why when you re-enter boss battles for example the npcs aren't like oh you again. It's like a little time loop do over, which does make a lot more sense once you factor in death taking you to the last hub you visited now.

Did they also explain how the respawning of such mobs like boss battles work? As you already killed them :P Or would that be similar?

Retired item crew

RNG.

Some elements of the game being RNG-based is fine, but it's when every damn thing of importance is RNG-based that it becomes tedious. Or, everything can be RNG-based, but there should be fail-safes. For instance with boss pets, they were going in the right direction: their initial idea was that each boss would have a threshold for the pet. So for example, the 4 God Wars bosses would have a threshold of 1/5,000. You could get a a pet drop at any time before 5,000 kills if RNG was on your side, but at 5,000 kills you would be guaranteed the drop. That was a very reasonable thing. Now they've change it to where the drop rate merely slashes in half once the threshold is reached. So, you start at 1/5K, at 5K kills if you don't get the pet, it becomes 1/2,500, and if at 2,500 more kills you still don't get it, it becomes 1/1,250, and so on. Basically it's a wild goose chase, and you might never get it or have to go to extreme lengths to get it. That's basically how all drops operate in RS at the moment, except, the drop rate doesn't slash in half once you reach it. It's completely asinine and completely fails to reward effort or time or skill.

With the vitalis pet, specifically, it does reward skill to some extent.  After all, you'll only get a Vitalis if you get drops at Vorago, which means you have to have a good DPS rotation or be a good tank.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

With the vitalis pet, specifically, it does reward skill to some extent.  After all, you'll only get a Vitalis if you get drops at Vorago, which means you have to have a good DPS rotation or be a good tank.

Except it doesn't. On my own team, we have a particular person who is the best DPSer out of us all, on most days. We happened to get a Vitalis pet, but for some reason it went to another DPS'er who clearly got less (and admitted to this) XP than the best DPS'er, wasn't basing, hadn't Voked, and it wasn't Scop. We often joke on our team how our best DPS'er got sniped.

The fact of the matter is that drop rate for Vitalis is so ridiculously low, that you could win 99.9% of the drops for your roll, but the one time you don't get a drop, or a particular phase, that could be the one time the Vitalis drops and it goes to someone else. After all, no one gets drops 100% of the time. And there are countless stories of this. People who have consistently been doing Rago since it came out and obviously know the roles and how to perform them excellently, practically in the thousands of kills, have no Vitalis, saw maybe one, and it went to someone else. Then there are other people, who did a minimal number of kills at most, have poor Vorago experience and kills, but happened to get it by pure fluke.

Did they also explain how the respawning of such mobs like boss battles work? As you already killed them :P Or would that be similar?

They haven't really gone into detail on many bosses, but in some cases there are explanations.

Ie QBD you put her to sleep, not kill her.

Barrows are undead wights that will reform after being defeated

KQ, KK, DKS, Mole, Araaxi are all examples of creature colonies where a lesser member of the colony will ascend to fill the vacated role.

Vorago can't die hence being knocked off the platform.

Fight pits, cauldron and fight caves are all creatures that come from and return to the lava.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Except it doesn't. On my own team, we have a particular person who is the best DPSer out of us all, on most days. We happened to get a Vitalis pet, but for some reason it went to another DPS'er who clearly got less (and admitted to this) XP than the best DPS'er, wasn't basing, hadn't Voked, and it wasn't Scop. We often joke on our team how our best DPS'er got sniped.

The fact of the matter is that drop rate for Vitalis is so ridiculously low, that you could win 99.9% of the drops for your roll, but the one time you don't get a drop, or a particular phase, that could be the one time the Vitalis drops and it goes to someone else. After all, no one gets drops 100% of the time. And there are countless stories of this. People who have consistently been doing Rago since it came out and obviously know the roles and how to perform them excellently, practically in the thousands of kills, have no Vitalis, saw maybe one, and it went to someone else. Then there are other people, who did a minimal number of kills at most, have poor Vorago experience and kills, but happened to get it by pure fluke.

P5 random base drop.  Btw, scop p3 base drop isn't random...

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting