Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Things in RuneScape that make no sense.

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Showing up in Lumbridge afrer dieing in deep wildy makes no sense. :)

It's called being reborn.

I know that many atheists don't believe in reincarnation but I do. I believe that when somebody dies, they will be reborn in a different body.

Actually in the lore of the game you never die, ever.

Mod Osbourne confirmed it, its why when you re-enter boss battles for example the npcs aren't like oh you again. It's like a little time loop do over, which does make a lot more sense once you factor in death taking you to the last hub you visited now.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

I know that many atheists don't believe in reincarnation but I do. I believe that when somebody dies, they will be reborn in a different body.

Mod Osbourne confirmed it, its why when you re-enter boss battles for example the npcs aren't like oh you again. It's like a little time loop do over, which does make a lot more sense once you factor in death taking you to the last hub you visited now.

Did they also explain how the respawning of such mobs like boss battles work? As you already killed them :P Or would that be similar?

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

RNG.

Some people get Araxxor pets in 1-2 kills, others are at nearly 2,000 and still don't have it. (That's a true story by the way). Basically, the game does not reward effort, skill or persistence whatsoever. Some things in life are out of our control, and based purely on luck, and lotteries do exist in real life. However, in RS basically everything of consequence is RNG based. As even RS Wikia acknowledges, under the current drop system, you can kill a monster forever and still not be guaranteed the drop. Take PVM for instance. The Vitalis pet (one of rarest in the game), there are people with minimal knowledge and experience at Rago who have it after a handful of kills, and people with thousands of kills that don't. In what world does that make sense? You'd think the most skilled and experience and dedicated boss hunter deserves the best prizes, not some lucky inexperienced scrub, but not according to Jagex! I don't mind some things being guaranteed (say such as Treasure Trails), but everything being RNG-ed is upsetting.

Now I have fared better than most, I have gotten my share of God Wars drops when they were worth tons, same with Nex drops when they were worth billions or hundreds of millions, same with Rago, Rots, and Araxxor. But there are times where it's frustrating. So this isn't necessarily the stereotypical rant about how I never get drops and how I am poor (I am not - I don't have no dicer bank, but I am according to Jagex wealthier than the overwhelming vast majority of players ). It makes no sense.

Jagex has a pathological obsession with RNG. I have thought as of late I should suggest to them that they should have a RNG-based pay system. Regardless of what any particular J-Mod does, how much skill it takes or effort or time, they will all have to draw out of a raffle that will be completely independent of those factors and based purely on luck. What's that Chris L? You made 4 high level bosses in 2013? Sorry, but your raffle only suggests you deserve a minimum wage salary for that year - better luck next time. Would have those [bleep]ers singing a new tune in no time about the righteousness of RNG.

While RNG often doesn't make sense in real life, I wouldn't like RS if it wasn't based on RNG

Some elements of the game being RNG-based is fine, but it's when every damn thing of importance is RNG-based that it becomes tedious. Or, everything can be RNG-based, but there should be fail-safes. For instance with boss pets, they were going in the right direction: their initial idea was that each boss would have a threshold for the pet. So for example, the 4 God Wars bosses would have a threshold of 1/5,000. You could get a a pet drop at any time before 5,000 kills if RNG was on your side, but at 5,000 kills you would be guaranteed the drop. That was a very reasonable thing. Now they've change it to where the drop rate merely slashes in half once the threshold is reached. So, you start at 1/5K, at 5K kills if you don't get the pet, it becomes 1/2,500, and if at 2,500 more kills you still don't get it, it becomes 1/1,250, and so on. Basically it's a wild goose chase, and you might never get it or have to go to extreme lengths to get it. That's basically how all drops operate in RS at the moment, except, the drop rate doesn't slash in half once you reach it. It's completely asinine and completely fails to reward effort or time or skill.

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • RSN:Quasar

With the vitalis pet, specifically, it does reward skill to some extent.  After all, you'll only get a Vitalis if you get drops at Vorago, which means you have to have a good DPS rotation or be a good tank.

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

ROTS Shields: 12  Seismics: 16

Ascension Crossbows: 6  Spider Legs: 10

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

With the vitalis pet, specifically, it does reward skill to some extent.  After all, you'll only get a Vitalis if you get drops at Vorago, which means you have to have a good DPS rotation or be a good tank.

Except it doesn't. On my own team, we have a particular person who is the best DPSer out of us all, on most days. We happened to get a Vitalis pet, but for some reason it went to another DPS'er who clearly got less (and admitted to this) XP than the best DPS'er, wasn't basing, hadn't Voked, and it wasn't Scop. We often joke on our team how our best DPS'er got sniped.

The fact of the matter is that drop rate for Vitalis is so ridiculously low, that you could win 99.9% of the drops for your roll, but the one time you don't get a drop, or a particular phase, that could be the one time the Vitalis drops and it goes to someone else. After all, no one gets drops 100% of the time. And there are countless stories of this. People who have consistently been doing Rago since it came out and obviously know the roles and how to perform them excellently, practically in the thousands of kills, have no Vitalis, saw maybe one, and it went to someone else. Then there are other people, who did a minimal number of kills at most, have poor Vorago experience and kills, but happened to get it by pure fluke.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Did they also explain how the respawning of such mobs like boss battles work? As you already killed them :P Or would that be similar?

They haven't really gone into detail on many bosses, but in some cases there are explanations.

Ie QBD you put her to sleep, not kill her.

Barrows are undead wights that will reform after being defeated

KQ, KK, DKS, Mole, Araaxi are all examples of creature colonies where a lesser member of the colony will ascend to fill the vacated role.

Vorago can't die hence being knocked off the platform.

Fight pits, cauldron and fight caves are all creatures that come from and return to the lava.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts

Except it doesn't. On my own team, we have a particular person who is the best DPSer out of us all, on most days. We happened to get a Vitalis pet, but for some reason it went to another DPS'er who clearly got less (and admitted to this) XP than the best DPS'er, wasn't basing, hadn't Voked, and it wasn't Scop. We often joke on our team how our best DPS'er got sniped.

The fact of the matter is that drop rate for Vitalis is so ridiculously low, that you could win 99.9% of the drops for your roll, but the one time you don't get a drop, or a particular phase, that could be the one time the Vitalis drops and it goes to someone else. After all, no one gets drops 100% of the time. And there are countless stories of this. People who have consistently been doing Rago since it came out and obviously know the roles and how to perform them excellently, practically in the thousands of kills, have no Vitalis, saw maybe one, and it went to someone else. Then there are other people, who did a minimal number of kills at most, have poor Vorago experience and kills, but happened to get it by pure fluke.

P5 random base drop.  Btw, scop p3 base drop isn't random...

best drops (reasonably accurate/up to date): 1x Elysian Sigil (LS), 1x Arcane Sigil (cs), 4x Armadyl Hilt (solo at 100m, 100m, 50m, and 5m), 2x Saradomin Hilt (solo at 25m), 5x Draconic Visage (34m,1.2m,1.2m) and various cs/ls/ffa Nex splits.
Drygore Drops: 7 Longswords, 3 Maces, 3 Rapiers, 3 Off-hand Rapiers,  5 Off-hand Maces, 3 Off-hand Longswords

Countless Armadyl armour pieces, Saradomin amulets, Dragon Hatchets, and Fremenik Rings.
Range~Herblore~Construction~Constitution~Defence~Farming~Magic~Attack~Prayer~Strength~Summoning~Slayer~Mining~Dungeoneering~Firemaking~Agility~Magic Mastery~Summoning Mastery~Cooking~Smithing~Fletching~Thieving~Hunter~Woodcutting~Fishing~Runecrafting

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

P5 random base drop.  Btw, scop p3 base drop isn't random...

IIRC, and I could be wrong, but I believe it was P3 or P2 (most likely P2). The only reason I mentioned Scop is to say that most teams have an understanding that the base tank gets P3 on Scop Week (by face trick, though Bomb also has a chance of getting the drop since bomb tank drops buff update). But it wasn't Scop Week, so it wasn't like the DPS'er who got it accidentally or purposefully stole the Base's drop (which would explain why he got the drop despite not having the most DPS).

Quasar
[ Display Name History ]

Quasar

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 891 posts

after bring him down vorago can force tank the dps who does the most damage during that.  it's possible that the base didn't voke back after that.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,433 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

We went from a complete F2P game with a beautiful worth-it P2P side to freemium/pay2win bullshit.

hate it, spit on it, shit on it

Level requirements make sense to me:

I don't see 8year olds running around with two handed swords;.. You need strength for that.

You need weight of the body for that and height, rather strength to counter act the torque of the blade. Plus they are very light for their size.

Our characters being adults should have enough of both. 

Ironically the skill you do need strength for is ranging. Since an actual armor piercing bow would be a challenge for Arnold Schwarzenegger to draw. 

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts

I think Mod Osbourne forgot about Nomad saying something to the extent of "the would-be assassin returns!" if you face him again after dying.

Now they've change it to where the drop rate merely slashes in half once the threshold is reached. So, you start at 1/5K, at 5K kills if you don't get the pet, it becomes 1/2,500, and if at 2,500 more kills you still don't get it, it becomes 1/1,250, and so on. Basically it's a wild goose chase, and you might never get it or have to go to extreme lengths to get it.

Actually, with a little bit of math, it becomes a guaranteed drop at just under 10k kills.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Yoko Kurama
[ Display Name History ]

Yoko Kurama

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

I think Mod Osbourne forgot about Nomad saying something to the extent of "the would-be assassin returns!" if you face him again after dying.

Now they've change it to where the drop rate merely slashes in half once the threshold is reached. So, you start at 1/5K, at 5K kills if you don't get the pet, it becomes 1/2,500, and if at 2,500 more kills you still don't get it, it becomes 1/1,250, and so on. Basically it's a wild goose chase, and you might never get it or have to go to extreme lengths to get it.

Actually, with a little bit of math, it becomes a guaranteed drop at just under 10k kills.

Well, hence why I said the bit at the end about 'extreme lengths'.

Blaze The Movie Fan
[ Display Name History ]

Blaze The Movie Fan

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,374 posts
  • RSN:blazemovifan

Here is something that makes no sense.

Half a shield is FAR rarer than a dragon platelegs.

I get dragon platelegs from steel dragons every 150 drops or so.

However I have been a member for almost a decade now and not once have I gotten half a shield from any monster.

Dragonkng198
[ Display Name History ]

Dragonkng198

Biggest Nub on Tip.It

• Members
  • 906 posts

Here is something that makes no sense.

Half a shield is FAR rarer than a dragon platelegs.

I get dragon platelegs from steel dragons every 150 drops or so.

However I have been a member for almost a decade now and not once have I gotten half a shield from any monster.

http://forum.tip.it/...eld-even-exist/

Stats

61669e5031.png

71fb431906.png

39c60fedc1.jpg

Kevjumba
[ Display Name History ]

Kevjumba

Goblin Armour

• Editorial Panel
  • 97 posts
  • RSN:Kevjumba
I've got a few for y'all to think about:
When you cut a tree, they magically stack into logs neatly.
Your backpack in general. Can hold 1 billion arrows yet just 28 bananas.
Cash stack and 3 item protection. Because when you get killed for loot, the killer will leave three items and all the money in your wallet for you.
Trees grow in seconds yet take hours during farming.
Have fun!

Blaze The Movie Fan
[ Display Name History ]

Blaze The Movie Fan

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,374 posts

Here is another one.

In order to wear a rune platebody you are required to finish Dragon's Slayer, however all that's required to wear a dragon platebody is 60 defense.

What?

And it's not like rune platebody is some exclusive rare item. Anybody with 99 smithing can make it when they have five rune bars so this makes no sense.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,075 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

That is true, although it does put a nice finishing touch on it for F2P I suppose. :P

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,798 posts

Here is another one.

In order to wear a rune platebody you are required to finish Dragon's Slayer, however all that's required to wear a dragon platebody is 60 defense.

What?

And it's not like rune platebody is some exclusive rare item. Anybody with 99 smithing can make it when they have five rune bars so this makes no sense.

It was an exclusive rare item when it was released (except for the fact that you can buy them in the shop after the quest), as there were not many people with 99 smithing. 

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Blaze The Movie Fan
[ Display Name History ]

Blaze The Movie Fan

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,374 posts

Here is another one.

What?

It was an exclusive rare item when it was released (except for the fact that you can buy them in the shop after the quest), as there were not many people with 99 smithing. 

Personally I think the requirement should be removed since this doesn't apply anymore.

I mean heck, rune platebodies are extremely easy to get now.

They are extremely common loot from hard clues and the crystal chest, so even if you don't have finished the quest, or 99 smithing, you will still be able to get these very easily.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,798 posts

Here is another one.

What?

Personally I think the requirement should be removed since this doesn't apply anymore.

I mean heck, rune platebodies are extremely easy to get now.

They are extremely common loot from hard clues and the crystal chest, so even if you don't have finished the quest, or 99 smithing, you will still be able to get these very easily.

But why remove the requirement as the quest is extremely easy.

Retired item crew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users