Rune Labs Discussion

Urza285

Here is what to expect from Rune Labs:

RuneLabs: What to expect

Hello

As mentioned by Mod Mark in January's Behind the Scenes, RuneLabs is nearly here. You'll be able to start submitting your ideas before the end of January.

With RuneLabs we are giving you the opportunity to pitch your new, exciting content ideas to us, with the potential for them to be developed for the game.
Below, I've given some details of how RuneLabs will work, read on, and start thinking about how to pitch your favourite ideas!
How Will It Work?

Each month, we will provide you with a set of criteria, outlining the sort of content we're looking for. For that month, we will only consider projects that fit within those criteria. Some examples might be:

• A small-sized combat project
• A medium-sized quest with a small graphics budget
• A small-to-medium-sized Halloween event/quest

To give you an idea of what we mean by the various update sizes, here are some previous updates for comparison:

Extra Small
Drop Table Improvements, Ability Bar Sharing, Circus Improvements
Small
Harbingers of Tuska, Skillchompas, Let Them Eat Pie, Lodestones
Medium
Kalphite King, Soul Reaper, Guthixian Caches, Shadow Over Ashdale
Large
Araxxor, Sinkholes, Broken Home, Ports Expansions
Extra Large
God Wars Dungeon, Runespan, World Wakes, City Graphical Reworks
Extra, Extra Large
EOC, Elf City, Divination, Player Owned Ports, Ritual of the Mahjarrat

This might feel restrictive, but managing the scope of our updates is an essential part of developing RuneScape. These are the same constraints we put on our designers and developers - while we'd love to work on huge, epic updates all the time, we need a mix of content - of all types and sizes - to ensure a regular, varied release schedule.

If your idea doesn't fit the criteria we're asking for, don't worry - there's every chance it'll be suitable in the future.

Don't be put off if you're not sure whether your idea fits, either - it will be possible to add ideas to a Wishlist, so players can watch ideas that catch their eye and support them when they become relevant. However all ideas must meet the following guidelines.
The General Rules of RuneLabs

• Follow the Rules of RuneScape as you would in-game and on the forums
• Do not include the work of others without their consent
• Do not offer incentives for others to support your ideas in your submission
Jagex reserves the right to only pick ideas that we feel are right for the game and business.
Right now, we're only taking suggestions for RuneScape game content, and cannot accept submissions that rely heavily upon Engine, Web or any other team.

We will not accept ideas that;
• Go against our business interests
• Make fundamental changes to core gameplay
• Break the game world or lore of the game
• Go beyond additions or changes to game content
• Are larger than a single standalone update
• Are already being working upon

To help with this we have created a blacklist of projects we will not accept.

Current Blacklist
• Removing EOC or Legacy combat modes
• Removing Treasure Hunter or Solomon’s General Store
• Anything to do with Oldschool or any other Jagex products
• Narrative for World Events

What's Coming Up?
So now you should have a good idea of what to expect from RuneLabs when it goes live later this month. The initial criteria is pretty open. It can be about anything, but must fit within a medium-sized scope.

Many of you will be wanting to know when you will get your chance to decide the next XXL project. We only tend to work on one huge project at a time. You guys decided what the previous XXL project was with Elf City, and we have already decided what the next project is, and are working on it now.

Sometime around Q3 this year, you will get the chance to determine the next big project and this time we will give you a lot more options than a binary poll. While we have a good idea of what some of these options will be, we will no doubt be taking more from RuneLabs over the coming months.

As we wait for the launch of RuneLabs, we advise you take this time to submit your ideas on the forums to gather feedback from others. Once you submit an idea on RuneLabs, you won't be able to edit it, so it's is a good idea to have others read over your pitch beforehand.
We hope you are as excited for RuneLabs as we are. Good luck with your suggestions.

-Mod Kelpie and the RuneScape Team

FAQ

Q: Are there any requirements for using RuneLabs?
A: You need to be a Member to submit and support ideas. There are no other requirements.

Q: How long can our suggestions be?
A: There is a 2000 character limit, same as a forum post. If you wish to post more information, you are able to link to a forum thread. There are likely to be hundreds of suggestions and we wont have the time to read them if everybody submits huge documents.

Q: A 2000 character limit. How can I possibly suggest a quest within 2000 characters?
A: Provide a concise summary on RuneLabs and link to a forum thread where you provide more detailed information. If people like you summary enough they will either support it or read on. If it is one of the most supported ideas, we would be sure to go through the thread to ensure everything is suitable.

Q: Can we include images in our submissions?
A: At the moment it is all text based. We may add in the ability to include images or videos at a later date.

Q: Does submitting a skill rework suggestion break the 'Don't make fundamental changes to core gameplay' rule?
A: It depends on the extent of the skill rework. If you wanted to remove all grow timers from Farming, then yes. If you wanted to rebalance Mining/Smithing so that making rune armour is at the same level as wearing it, then that should be fine. If in doubt, it is okay to post, but don't be surprised if we reject it.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

So it seems that my suggestion, to work on outdated graphics, by choosing the oldest graphics, does not meet the criteria. Like I am not suggesting they should put their whole graphics team on old graphics. But more like a small project where they update the oldest graphics now and then, just little by little. Because right now some old graphics will never see an update as they are part of content that won't get any updates in the future (for example a huge amount of quests).

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

You have to be a member. Really?

It seems like Jagex has boldly gone where no company has gone before. They want to lure their customers into paying money to have the privilege of giving them free consulting? Because otherwise I don't really see the point of restricting it. Current members would be able to suggest ideas anyway, and more people would get involved. But ok whatever Jagex  :mellow:. 

• Like 5

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Ah so the system that is designed for good well supported players ideas to get seen by jagex and make it into the game is constrained to be the exact type of content jagex feels they have a slot for...

Surely runelabs should be entirely open and ALL ideas regardless of what jagex is looking for that month should be allowed a shot. I mean of course it might mean some stuff sits there awaiting appropriate dev slots to open up, but atleast that way its a record of what players want and what jagex should therefore should be trying to fit into their dev rounds.

Limiting it to what they want just gives a cookie cutter way to gather sudden surge ideas they can mold over their preconceived idea and then dance it around as 'its what players wanted' whilst ignoring the most popular ideas that dont fit what they want as 'oh but we're after extra small skill updates this month' or w/e

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It can be easily circumvented tho. We have a suggestions subforum and players can post there with the request for it to be posted within RuneLabs.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Had this idea a while back. Re-wrote it and planning on putting it up on RuneLabs. Any Feedback or suggestions about what size it would count as would be helpful.

http://[Use Quick Find Code]/a=13/c=DL6LjGEA5j4/sl=0/[Please Use QuickFind Code]?185,186,788,65552805,4,334513296

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I wanted to make an amazing suggestions that everyone would love and support. Then I noticed I had to pay money to even make a suggestion, so no thanks. Your loss Jagex, your loss.

Like I said before, just make the suggestion/idea somewhere else. If it is that good, I am sure someone will take it to RuneLabs for you, resulting in it possibly being released.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Maybe they did that to reduce spam and such? As I can imagine people making scripts to make accounts for runelabs? That is the only thing I can imagine that does sound a bit reasonable...

• Like 1

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Maybe they did that to reduce spam and such? As I can imagine people making scripts to make accounts for runelabs? That is the only thing I can imagine that does sound a bit reasonable...

Easily fixable though, put a requirement on it to access:

• Hours of playtime
  • Quest Points
  • Total level (for example, 350 total for the forums as is already there)
  • etc.
  • Like 2

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I'd say its probably because they have no intention of updating the free game, so they want the people that will be playing the content to be submitting it.

• Like 1

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Lol I'm not even hating, but the game is so damn cheap, as well as with bonds in-game, I think that if you cared at all you would already be a member

If there are a limited number of ideas accepted, it makes sense to constrain it to paying customers, but I think the biggest reason to make it members only is that more than likely only members will experience the content, whether a free player suggested it or not.

2dgucz6.png

I actually want to see someone submit a redesign of runelabs to runelabs, just because.

• Like 3

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

I actually want to see someone submit a redesign of runelabs to runelabs, just because.

I would vote for this idea, no doubt. You know that you sometimes are very funny, bossingnub :D ?

I ought to add here though that RuneLabs will be getting updates in the future. I would love to be able to add images to my suggestions in the future, and a lot of players seems to agree this would be a good idea. Hopefully that can get added in not too long after the system's release. If enough people demands it/wants it I don't see why not F2P can get to add their own ideas as well. And don't come with the "we pay; we say" thingy in response to this, thank you.

Myself I will be putting up the Rite of Passage quest suggstion on RuneLabs as soon as it launches. :)

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

That is an epic idea. Jagex seems to have forgotten the 'meta' section of RuneLabs!

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Jagex is going to allow posting pictures on the suggestion forum until they can allow pictures in RuneLabs 

source: http://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/2si265/images_on_runelabs/

Not exactly a very convincing BTS video for the style of content development. It makes mod mark look more pleading if anything. I am being moderately critical, but even this BTS is scripted and can tell by mod marks timely responses.

For those who didn't catch on this is jagex version of the Shark Tank.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [in Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Yea, apparently Shark Tank is just the U.S. version's name. Internationally that show is called The Dragon's Den, which makes the Dragonkin's Den name a more blatant reference.

Yea, apparently Shark Tank is just the U.S. version's name. Internationally that show is called The Dragon's Den, which makes the Dragonkin's Den name a more blatant reference.

I wasnt aware of an international version.

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png