Rune Labs Discussion

Urza285

Are there any protections to prevent the "popular" and "e-celebs" just getting their legions of minions to mass vote even if the ideas are shit or skewed in their favour?

• Like 1

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Well, the J mods still have to pick the ideas to put in the polls. They'll pick from the popular ones but it seemed like they'd also somewhat filter. So, a small protection, but at the same time a terrible idea thats just getting a lot of votes due to e-celeb may be obvious. More likely it would end up with an average idea getting above average votes, and then its harder to filter.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

I think the big protection for ideas like that (assuming they are good ideas, so not filtered) is that there are to many players for such thing to have a long effect. Also the top ideas get a poll in game, so it would probably lose in game anyway (and if it doesn't it was probably a good enough idea that could have gotten that far without the popularity contest).

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Almost all stuff is redundant, stupid overpowered or nonlogical stuff, or some patchnote stuff. I really wonder what goes through the heads of these people. <.<

I've been reading quite a lot of the proposed stuff and the only 'worthy' stuff are coming mostly from the die hard lore community, who wish to see fossil island, Rite of Passage and so on.

I sadly ought to agree on this. RuneLabs have now been out for close to 50 hours, and the general quality is way worse than I had hoped. The few exceptions I have found are almost all from high-level, very motivated players. You just need to read the first sentence of a suggestion to know if it is worth reading all of it in most cases. 

Also, I see you mentioned Rite of Passage. I have no idea who submitted that idea...

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The Runelabs ideas page has depressed me more than anything in RS in a long time and really is the definition of 'this is why we can't have nice things'. No one seems to have read or listened to anything related to what it was supposed to be about, or the guidelines, let alone that ideas needed to be for a 'medium sized piece of content. Instead  it seems it is being treated as a rebadged forum where you can post whatever the hell you like , regardless of its usefullness.   It's hard not to come away with the conclusion that the game is played entirely by 11 year olds based upon the posts.

I know that this community and ones like Reddit tend to be a bit more obsessive than the average player, and a lot of us follow very closely everything Jagex announces. But I at least hoped those posting would have a vague awareness of what jagex has said is not viable , or not likely to ever happen.   The amount of posts I have seen saying things along the line of 'my idea is that smithing should be reworked', or 'my idea is that minigames should be made so people play them again'  as if they believe theyre the first ones to have come to such a genius revelation makes me fuming mad.            Every one knows half of the problems being posted about in one line suggestions, the entire point of Runelabs is for people to suggest ways to fix the problems, not just point them out.

My biggest worry currently is how much time is going to be wasted by Jagex staff moderating and monitoring Runelabs to the stage where a feasible idea can be picked, not to mention with this much community involvement how much extra time it will take to develop the content.    I think  the man hours it will have taken to secure each release will probably be 2-3 times more than a typical update, I dont know about other people, but I would rather have 2-3 normal updates updates than one that was 'designed by the players'.

• Like 1

Jagex should give out offences for blatant and flagrant misuse of RuneLabs (such as a ban on using it for a set amount of time etc.) 

The amount of 'Get rid of EOC' that has appeared on RLs is sad, and the fact that no search function exists is basically just making it pointless or useless to suggest anything (as well as not being able to support anything yet).

The guy who suggested 2400+ total kind of hit the nail on the head (though I don't think disallowing players based on total level is appropriate), in that there needs to be some deterrent for shit/spammy ideas, bans/offences could help.

• Like 2

As long as they are paying a membership subscription, Jagex will be happy to put up with their nonsense and call it community idea pooling.  :rolleyes:

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I would say it is to quick to decide that runelabs is not working. They have yet to implement more functions to it (like the support function), which may fix those problems. Also I don't think much time will be spend on it, and I hope they put people on it which normally don't do content updates (like website staff, forum staff, community staff etc.). The one thing that worries me, they said that they will reset the amount of support on each idea after each month, does that mean those rubbish and old ideas will never leave? Do we really want a system that keeps collecting old ideas? I hope they have a  system implemented in which if you get less than an amount of votes (say 5) your idea will be deleted (or at least make it so that you have to resubmit it).

I for one haven't posted my idea, as I would like to see how the system works, this may not be the best time to put my idea on there and I am sure others might have the same idea on there as well.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

When was that support function supposed to be implemented anyway? I thought someone on here mentioned we were supposed to be able to support as of yesterday around this time :/.

Edit: never mind, they said around a week.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

The Runelabs ideas page has depressed me more than anything in RS in a long time and really is the definition of 'this is why we can't have nice things'. No one seems to have read or listened to anything related to what it was supposed to be about, or the guidelines, let alone that ideas needed to be for a 'medium sized piece of content. Instead  it seems it is being treated as a rebadged forum where you can post whatever the hell you like , regardless of its usefullness.   It's hard not to come away with the conclusion that the game is played entirely by 11 year olds based upon the posts.

I know that this community and ones like Reddit tend to be a bit more obsessive than the average player, and a lot of us follow very closely everything Jagex announces. But I at least hoped those posting would have a vague awareness of what jagex has said is not viable , or not likely to ever happen.   The amount of posts I have seen saying things along the line of 'my idea is that smithing should be reworked', or 'my idea is that minigames should be made so people play them again'  as if they believe theyre the first ones to have come to such a genius revelation makes me fuming mad.            Every one knows half of the problems being posted about in one line suggestions, the entire point of Runelabs is for people to suggest ways to fix the problems, not just point them out.

My biggest worry currently is how much time is going to be wasted by Jagex staff moderating and monitoring Runelabs to the stage where a feasible idea can be picked, not to mention with this much community involvement how much extra time it will take to develop the content.    I think  the man hours it will have taken to secure each release will probably be 2-3 times more than a typical update, I dont know about other people, but I would rather have 2-3 normal updates updates than one that was 'designed by the players'.

The idea of RuneLabs as such really isn't that bad. Actually the exact opposite. A more direct way for us, the players, to communicate our improvements to Jagex is a thing which should have been released many, many years ago considering how old this game is. What Jagex failed to realize though was that it was going to get overused by those who haven't cared to read the rules and guidelines for the system. Or those who just want to troll or suggest impossible things/ninja/patch note fixes. And yes, I am aware that Jagex have stated that ninja fixes are fine to be posted in RuneLabs, but just look at the quality of them ("Add weather into the game" - Not really a very descriptive post, and not really Ninja-sized).

What Jagex should do is to get some proper moderation in for a while, make sure that you actually HAVE to read through the rules (make a rule screen popup for a minute with a summary in big fat red text or something) and give those who still troll repeatedly can't post again for like a month or something. It is also worth remembering that RuneLabs is hyped now right now after its released. With time there will be less posts on it, meaning less spamming/trolling etc.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I think Jagex should introduce a mechanic to Rune Labs that mimics the old general stores.  I remember before personalized shops were released, the general store would fill up with all sorts of random items the people would sell.  Then every few seconds, an item from each stack would disappear until eventually the entire supply would be exhausted, thus freeing up room for new items.

So with Rune Labs, ideas can gain votes/likes/whatever which periodically diminish.  The better ideas survive because they gain support faster than it is depleted while the poorer suggestions fade away.  Once an idea reaches zero support, it is automatically deleted.  The support depletion rate can be tweaked based on the volume of ideas added (perhaps -20 votes per day, or -5 votes per 3 hours, etc.)  This way, the system can self regulate and filter ideas with minimal effort needed on the part of Jagex staff.  Initially, everyone's ideas will start with the same amount of support, but I would bet that after a week with this system in place, the really good stuff would be clearly sifted out from the junk. Then perhaps Jagex could review the top 10-25 leading ideas at the end of each week (with the option of possibly resetting the whole system at the end of the week/month/quarter).

I think this solution would handle most of the issues that we currently see in Rune Labs.  However, it is possible that a bad or invalid idea may gain a lot of support from the Runescape community and thus survive in the system for a while.  But that would be relatively easy for Jagex to spot and deal with.

• Like 2

Almost all stuff is redundant, stupid overpowered or nonlogical stuff, or some patchnote stuff. I really wonder what goes through the heads of these people. <.<

I've been reading quite a lot of the proposed stuff and the only 'worthy' stuff are coming mostly from the die hard lore community, who wish to see fossil island, Rite of Passage and so on.

I sadly ought to agree on this. RuneLabs have now been out for close to 50 hours, and the general quality is way worse than I had hoped. The few exceptions I have found are almost all from high-level, very motivated players. You just need to read the first sentence of a suggestion to know if it is worth reading all of it in most cases. 

Also, I see you mentioned Rite of Passage. I have no idea who submitted that idea...

Yeah, I followed the threads you've made in Future Updates and the Lore Forum quite a bit. :p It's one of the updates I want the most to finally come.

That said: I really don't know how ideas can be picked up again. There's 299 pages of ideas now. No one is going to read all that, because of most bogus stuff that's amongst it. Even with that general store-esque mechanism that Numismaster suggests, you probably only get ideas with votes on the first few and last few pages, as no one in their right mind will go through it all.

With the amount of ideas in already, the vast majority of them being trash, it really seems as though this will not work without extensive pre-moderation by jagex staff. It also gives the community a black eye, in that, as suspected, a large amount is lacking in scope and intelligence. (t99 weapons? really? who would have thought of that!)

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

That said: I really don't know how ideas can be picked up again. There's 299 pages of ideas now. No one is going to read all that, because of most bogus stuff that's amongst it. Even with that general store-esque mechanism that Numismaster suggests, you probably only get ideas with votes on the first few and last few pages, as no one in their right mind will go through it all.

Well, the plan is that if Rune Labs becomes too bloated, all if these unread/unseen posts will die and be deleted within a matter of hours or days.  If someone is passionate about their idea, I'm sure they could find support for it or at least re-post it a couple of times.  The people who spam Rune Labs with half-thought out ideas (or just plain useless junk) probably will not be as motivated to see their ideas flourish and therefore will not put the same amount of effort in keeping their ideas alive.

It's true, some decent proposals might be consumed as collateral damage, but ultimately I believe the really good ideas would resurface and rise to the top, especially after all of this initial new update hype dies down.

I disagree though in many ways. For something like Minigames where Jagex has tried to fix it, I think a player needs to give their own solutions. However, for some other things like "rework smithing" its not a matter of Jagex not having ideas (Mod Jack had a whole system in mind for it already) but a matter of budget. So a simple "rework mining/smithing" could work perfectly well without some additional idea if we're given a chance to vote on a large project.

• Like 1

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

So with Rune Labs, ideas can gain votes/likes/whatever which periodically diminish.  The better ideas survive because they gain support faster than it is depleted while the poorer suggestions fade away.  Once an idea reaches zero support, it is automatically deleted.  The support depletion rate can be tweaked based on the volume of ideas added (perhaps -20 votes per day, or -5 votes per 3 hours, etc.)  This way, the system can self regulate and filter ideas with minimal effort needed on the part of Jagex staff.  Initially, everyone's ideas will start with the same amount of support, but I would bet that after a week with this system in place, the really good stuff would be clearly sifted out from the junk. Then perhaps Jagex could review the top 10-25 leading ideas at the end of each week (with the option of possibly resetting the whole system at the end of the week/month/quarter).

I would do something that would have less chance of deleting possibly good ideas. Perhaps if an idea doesn't get over 5 supports in 6 months then its deleted. This would be a way to get rid of ideas that are basically abandoned (if a player is getting no supports for several months, then either the community dislikes it or the player has probably abandoned it because a player could probably get at least 5 supports from friends). 

With this idea, most ideas that are heavily disliked or abandoned will be deleted. It will leave some trash but less.

I would do something that would have less chance of deleting possibly good ideas. Perhaps if an idea doesn't get over 5 supports in 6 months then its deleted. This would be a way to get rid of ideas that are basically abandoned (if a player is getting no supports for several months, then either the community dislikes it or the player has probably abandoned it because a player could probably get at least 5 supports from friends). 

With this idea, most ideas that are heavily disliked or abandoned will be deleted. It will leave some trash but less.

The only trouble I see with a a longer wait time is the build-up of an overwhelming supply of poor ideas.  Although some good ideas may be deleted with a shorter wait time, many more would be lost in a sea of inferior suggestions.  Rune Labs has barely been released and already we are completely swamped with hundreds of pages of ideas, to the point where many, if not most, people are turned off from whole thing.

A lot of you guys are hating on this Runelabs idea but Old School Runescape has had a similar thing for over a year now (Player Designed Content, or PDC) and it has worked fairly well.  It has produced several good updates like rooftop agility and the Motherlode Mine.  I think it works a little differently though.

BmkSbxS.png

A lot of you guys are hating on this Runelabs idea but Old School Runescape has had a similar thing for over a year now (Player Designed Content, or PDC) and it has worked fairly well.  It has produced several good updates like rooftop agility and the Motherlode Mine.  I think it works a little differently though.

Basically, the issue is that it just opened, and RS3 has a lot of trolls. So, there are a lot of awful submissions and no way to sift through things yet. Its very possible that once we get support,sort, and search functionality that this will work a lot better. However, it remains to be seen how well it will work.

The issue I take with this system is that there are sometimes changes that are very necessary, but aren't going to grab headlines like the other ideas, because they're very simple benefit of play tweaks.

As for slowing the flow of ideas down, there should be a limit to how many ideas people can post based on how old the account is, and duration bans on people who are misusing the service.

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

I want to suggest more special attacks because it'd make items spike in price if it went through and I love chaos... E.g., dragon hasta, dragon 2h crossbow, dragon staff. From a thematic standpoint, why are like half the dragon weapons missing special attacks? It's lame, I think.

ozXHe7P.png

The game IS for 11 years old. I think u need to realise this. YOU are too old.

The Runelabs ideas page has depressed me more than anything in RS in a long time and really is the definition of 'this is why we can't have nice things'. No one seems to have read or listened to anything related to what it was supposed to be about, or the guidelines, let alone that ideas needed to be for a 'medium sized piece of content. Instead it seems it is being treated as a rebadged forum where you can post whatever the hell you like , regardless of its usefullness. It's hard not to come away with the conclusion that the game is played entirely by 11 year olds based upon the posts.

I know that this community and ones like Reddit tend to be a bit more obsessive than the average player, and a lot of us follow very closely everything Jagex announces. But I at least hoped those posting would have a vague awareness of what jagex has said is not viable , or not likely to ever happen. The amount of posts I have seen saying things along the line of 'my idea is that smithing should be reworked', or 'my idea is that minigames should be made so people play them again' as if they believe theyre the first ones to have come to such a genius revelation makes me fuming mad. Every one knows half of the problems being posted about in one line suggestions, the entire point of Runelabs is for people to suggest ways to fix the problems, not just point them out.

My biggest worry currently is how much time is going to be wasted by Jagex staff moderating and monitoring Runelabs to the stage where a feasible idea can be picked, not to mention with this much community involvement how much extra time it will take to develop the content. I think the man hours it will have taken to secure each release will probably be 2-3 times more than a typical update, I dont know about other people, but I would rather have 2-3 normal updates updates than one that was 'designed by the players'.

The game IS for 11 years old. I think u need to realise this. YOU are too old.

Except you're required by Jagex to be 13 years of age to play.

Such a short-sighted comment. Nobody is ever too old to play a videogame.

Sylpheed.png