Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Membership Price Changes - 1st March 2015

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,081 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Stupid move. You don't get new players by upping the price. Let's quicken the stagnation y'all!

I bought gold membs and I'm still on dat $5/mo when that runs out, so this won't affect me, but is still bad.

Does anyone have a history of costs for using USD via CC? Just curious (that's like the standard payment method probably, good for comparability)

Yes, I bought members the first month I came back, and I got charged like 8.75 or something. There's some kind of charge for using a credit card I guess. 

You don't pay $7.95? That's weird, some sort of tax maybe?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Kevjumba
[ Display Name History ]

Kevjumba

Goblin Armour

• Editorial Panel
  • 97 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kevjumba

Stupid move. You don't get new players by upping the price. Let's quicken the stagnation y'all!

I bought gold membs and I'm still on dat $5/mo when that runs out, so this won't affect me, but is still bad.

Does anyone have a history of costs for using USD via CC? Just curious (that's like the standard payment method probably, good for comparability)

Yes, I bought members the first month I came back, and I got charged like 8.75 or something. There's some kind of charge for using a credit card I guess. 

Perhaps that tax that is applied to out-of-country purchases? I can't think of the name of that tax right now but I know it exists.

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

Perhaps that tax that is applied to out-of-country purchases? I can't think of the name of that tax right now but I know it exists.

Conversion charges?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

Pff saradomin stuff isn't even expensive anymore, nor cool. But we can discuss fashion another time I suppose :P.

Well what else is there? :P looks better than Ancient/Armadyl/Bandos imo, and it's still the most expensive of the three.

And besides, I worked my butt off as F2P years ago (2007) to get Saradomin armour, that acc got disabled shortly afterwards (negative membership credit which I paid back in like 2012 lol), so it has the sentimental value.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,081 posts

Haha that's true, enjoy it :P.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts

Good thing I bought gold premium membership already, right?

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D

I wonder why some people still think that a price increase like this is meant to entice new players...

Interesting choice, though.  I'm really grateful that I got my closure with the Elf City, but even with my current job, $10/mo for what I play now is too rich for my blood.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
$10/month for RS or $15/month for a game like WoW...or free if you go Guild Wars or The Elder Scrolls Online...

I get the increased costs and whatnot are pretty much unavoidable, but I feel very sad to see a large selling point of the game lost due to increasing costs.

I'm exceedingly grateful for having the grandfathred rate, but you have to wonder if they could've staved off a price increase if they removed the grandfather rates altogether.

hzvjpwS.gif

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

It is still only 80 euro's per year. Two (popular) console games will cost more than that, which if you are lucky (and don't play 16h a day) last half a year together. If they go higher than WoW I sadly think they will lose many people...

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,081 posts

Raising prices to make your customers think business is going great and entice more people to shell out money for said "great" produce seems to be popular these days, I guess.

---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

Raising prices to make your customers think business is going great and entice more people to shell out money for said "great" produce seems to be popular these days, I guess.

My guess is that the largest amount of players are people that have been playing for quite a while or those that come back after a while. These two groups will pay anyway.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Blutters
[ Display Name History ]

Blutters

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • RSN:Blutters

Do they at least offer some discount for the first month for brand new accounts, or perhaps accounts that had membership a while ago, or accounts that just lost membership but were paying much lower? Some kind of "trial" rate, at least.

2dgucz6.png

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Dragon Slayer

• Administrators
  • 7,081 posts

Do they at least offer some discount for the first month for brand new accounts, or perhaps accounts that had membership a while ago, or accounts that just lost membership but were paying much lower? Some kind of "trial" rate, at least.

They have had promotions like $2 membership for new accounts in the past but they usually are kept under the radar and frankly I've lost track with how many things they try.

---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

Huge Noob
[ Display Name History ]

Huge Noob

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,016 posts
  • RSN:Huge Noob
  • RSN '07:Huge Noob
  • Clan:CoE

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Prices were bound to go up eventually. I'll still be playing and I'm not grandfathered in to the old rate since my bank won't send funds overseas, even with my approval. So I have to, sadly, go buy a $25 prepaid card every 3 months. However, if the prices ever went to like $15/month I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Paragon
[ Display Name History ]

Paragon

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • RSN:-

Someone rich just buy runescape out? It is so easily profitable. Just dont screw up the game. Call elon musk or zuckerberg or something.

Bill ackman? Hello! Where r u?

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Facebook could probably buy out Runescape and make it available as a Facebook game.
Would probably start filling up with P2W very quickly if that happened, though. Be careful what you wish for.

Wessan
[ Display Name History ]

Wessan

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • RSN:Wessan

Whew. I thought this was across the board changes. That would be crazy for an almost 100% price hike from $5 to $9.49. I can do that for Amazon Prime, but that would be lame for RS.

wessan.png

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:wkw

Someone rich just buy runescape out? It is so easily profitable. Just dont screw up the game. Call elon musk or zuckerberg or something.

Bill ackman? Hello! Where r u?

Facebook could probably buy out Runescape and make it available as a Facebook game.
Would probably start filling up with P2W very quickly if that happened, though. Be careful what you wish for.

No No No No No!!! Just no.

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

hell, final fantasy figured their shit out, and the more the price moves towards that, the less attractive this vacillating artifact of the past seems to be

i feel like they've wasted time and money on chasing after cash store profits and spectacles, which would have been great if they wanted to sell to Nexon, but didn't do jack for their core content

8f14270694.jpg

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild

My guess is that the largest amount of players are people that have been playing for quite a while or those that come back after a while. These two groups will pay anyway.
They will also gradually drain away until the game dies. You can't rely on retention to the exclusion of acquisition if you want the game to thrive in the long term. You need new blood.

This is the sort of move that will look great in their books for a year or two. Then in ten years the game will be dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users