Membership Price Changes - 1st March 2015

Howlin0001

I wonder why some people still think that a price increase like this is meant to entice new players...

Interesting choice, though.  I'm really grateful that I got my closure with the Elf City, but even with my current job, $10/mo for what I play now is too rich for my blood.

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

$10/month for RS or $15/month for a game like WoW...or free if you go Guild Wars or The Elder Scrolls Online...

I get the increased costs and whatnot are pretty much unavoidable, but I feel very sad to see a large selling point of the game lost due to increasing costs.

I'm exceedingly grateful for having the grandfathred rate, but you have to wonder if they could've staved off a price increase if they removed the grandfather rates altogether.

• Like 2

hzvjpwS.gif

It is still only 80 euro's per year. Two (popular) console games will cost more than that, which if you are lucky (and don't play 16h a day) last half a year together. If they go higher than WoW I sadly think they will lose many people...

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Raising prices to make your customers think business is going great and entice more people to shell out money for said "great" produce seems to be popular these days, I guess.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Raising prices to make your customers think business is going great and entice more people to shell out money for said "great" produce seems to be popular these days, I guess.

My guess is that the largest amount of players are people that have been playing for quite a while or those that come back after a while. These two groups will pay anyway.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Do they at least offer some discount for the first month for brand new accounts, or perhaps accounts that had membership a while ago, or accounts that just lost membership but were paying much lower? Some kind of "trial" rate, at least.

2dgucz6.png

Do they at least offer some discount for the first month for brand new accounts, or perhaps accounts that had membership a while ago, or accounts that just lost membership but were paying much lower? Some kind of "trial" rate, at least.

They have had promotions like $2 membership for new accounts in the past but they usually are kept under the radar and frankly I've lost track with how many things they try.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. Prices were bound to go up eventually. I'll still be playing and I'm not grandfathered in to the old rate since my bank won't send funds overseas, even with my approval. So I have to, sadly, go buy a $25 prepaid card every 3 months. However, if the prices ever went to like $15/month I don't think I'd be willing to pay that much.

user1-dark.png 

Huge_Noob.png

Someone rich just buy runescape out? It is so easily profitable. Just dont screw up the game. Call elon musk or zuckerberg or something.

Bill ackman? Hello! Where r u?

Facebook could probably buy out Runescape and make it available as a Facebook game.

Would probably start filling up with P2W very quickly if that happened, though. Be careful what you wish for.

No No No No No!!! Just no.

• Like 1

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

hell, final fantasy figured their shit out, and the more the price moves towards that, the less attractive this vacillating artifact of the past seems to be

i feel like they've wasted time and money on chasing after cash store profits and spectacles, which would have been great if they wanted to sell to Nexon, but didn't do jack for their core content

8f14270694.jpg

My guess is that the largest amount of players are people that have been playing for quite a while or those that come back after a while. These two groups will pay anyway.
They will also gradually drain away until the game dies. You can't rely on retention to the exclusion of acquisition if you want the game to thrive in the long term. You need new blood.

This is the sort of move that will look great in their books for a year or two. Then in ten years the game will be dead.

Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a big deal? If they haven't increased the price for three years I don't see a problem.

It'd be nice to see a discount for owning multiple accounts though, since that's a lot more common nowadays

I paid 5€ for a long time.

Then it became 7.50 + 7.50 fee.

Fudge that :')

Bonds ^-^

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif

✿ ♥‿♥)

Am I the only one that doesn't think this is a big deal? If they haven't increased the price for three years I don't see a problem.

What during that three years has come out to supplant the target audience of an MMO like 'Scape?  A lot, actually.  To boot, it's on devices that are far more convenient to play games - namely, mobile phones, tablets, and all manner of Nintendo handheld.

Raising prices is fine, but raising value should come along with that.  Much respect to Jagex for keeping the game somewhat entertaining, but the value grab isn't like it was when they first decided to raise the membership price.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Raising prices is fine, but raising value should come along with that.  Much respect to Jagex for keeping the game somewhat entertaining, but the value grab isn't like it was when they first decided to raise the membership price.

Even without getting into other games, isn't $10/month the cost of a Netflix subscription?

Yeah I don't see this price increase as that big of a deal, it pretty much is just an inflation shift and its not like you can get any other membership to anything half way decent for less these days.

I can see where some people might not feel the game is worth more of their money, but then even if this was the best game in the world some people would feel like that if price went up.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

While I have the grandfathered price of 4.60 euros a month, lots of the people I know are now quitting the game. Mainly because they only play 07scape and don't think 07scape is worth that much a month.

Wouldn't they continue paying what they currently are?

While I have the grandfathered price of 4.60 euros a month, lots of the people I know are now quitting the game. Mainly because they only play 07scape and don't think 07scape is worth that much a month.

Wouldn't they continue paying what they currently are?

Also it looks like Old School is going to be F2P, so they might want to rethink that ;).

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

CPI is one measure but I wouldn't say it's the be-all and end-all of inflation. For example I'm sure something like food prices have gone up more...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Even without getting into other games, isn't $10/month the cost of a Netflix subscription?

Sounds about right.  I don't have Netflix myself, but I do have Crunchyroll (about the same amount), Amazon Prime and Play Music.  Not to mention, there's tens of thousands of hours of free entertainment on YouTube.  There's also a lower barrier of entry to my platform; I can enjoy content from those providers on Linux without any hassle; Java's web plugin is so maligned that the entire NPAPI backend is to be ripped out of Chrome, and Linux got hit first.  Only way I could play the game was through a stupid workaround...which still weirds me out.

Not to go too much further, but I can enjoy all of the above on my mobile devices.  I'm too terrified to melt my laptop while playing 'Scape (and I nearly have before), so I'd only ever play it on my tower.  Limited device options don't make for an appealing case to pay up that much when there is just so much out there that my $10 could go towards.

s1L0U.jpg