Please Don't Graphically Update Like Ashdale!

Kevjumba

To the Jagex team,

I humbly implore that you do not graphically update any of the existing cities (anymore), like Varrock, Falador, or (especially) Yanille, my precioussssss. I think the cities and towns look fine as they are and would look more ugly if they were updated, like in Rimmington, which looks in my opinion like basura, or trash. If cities end up looking like this then I will surely quit once and for all.

First of all, why have the tutorial, where you make the best impression you can on potential players, look nothing like the actual game? Secondly, a game which is supposed to be like a medieval adventure should not look like something that came out of a first grade coloring book in which only neon highlighters were allowed to be used.

Some more gripes about recent cities. Why are there so many people to whom I cannot talk? Examples: Player owned ports, Prifddinas, Ashdale. Part of the fun of the game was just travelling and exploring and seeing new sights and people with whom I could talk. There weren't even examine features on a lot of "things" in these new areas until players griped about them. How difficult could it be to add some flavor text and to write a few lines? 

*Sigh* Rant is over. I said what I wanted to say. 

tl;dr: Don't update graphics in existing areas, tutorial is unfitting, new cities need to be more interactive (talk to citizens/examine features)

inb4: You need to take off your nostalgia-colored lenses.

• Like 1

I guess it's Jagex's way of showing us what RS looks like through rose-colored glasses...literally XD. Yeah, Ashdale is quite colorful, not sure why they did that :S.

Also: support on more examine features! I love reading Jagex's sense of wit with these things and it just feels "RuneScape."

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I don't think there shouldn't graphically update older cities, the stuff they can do now is pretty awesome compared to how tired some cities look.

That being said Ashdale is awful, but I think they realised that was a failed experiment in doing 'cheap' graphics as it isn't a style thats appeared in any other recent works.

But I mean Al-Kharid and Priff are certainly examples of how well they can redo cities.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If you look at al-kharid, I don't see any reason not to graphically update old cities. Of course I agree with you that they shouldn't be like ashdale, but I don't think they won't. I think they will keep their feeling, like they did with al-kharid (it even improved for me). Most cities are long overdue, and it saddens me that some cities gets updated multiple times (e.g. lumbridge) and some never gets updated (e.g. yanille)

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I for one think lumbridge got updated in a bad way. The crater makes lumbridge really ugly. I was hoping that the snow would melt and the crater would become a lake but...

Al kharid is okay, but IMO prifddinas was not done well. It's too organized as a city, I think (it is a perfect circle with symmetry pretty much around any axis). It's also got a taverley/burthope feel where jagex crammed as much as they can into one area.

Also, Rimmington looks worse after the update IMO. I think the new graphics make runescape lose its medieval feel (burthope/taverley). The clothes and buildings look nothing like what I'd think of (I'm looking at you, pompous merchants).

I can feel now that people are going to tell me to go play 07scape or RSC. There is a balance, I think, between terrible graphics and Jages trying too hard to make a game with "good graphics" (which Runescape will never have). Current varrock looks better than old varrock, but it does not overdo it like Rimmington, Taverley, or Burthope. I can see if new areas have the "better" graphics, but I would like to see the old ones keep their current looks. If Jages wants to update, I think they should focus on better graphics, not a transformation from a medieval style to cartoon/what the heck happened (ahem...Rimmingtom).

• Like 2

I for one think lumbridge got updated in a bad way. The crater makes lumbridge really ugly. I was hoping that the snow would melt and the crater would become a lake but...

Al kharid is okay, but IMO prifddinas was not done well. It's too organized as a city, I think (it is a perfect circle with symmetry pretty much around any axis). It's also got a taverley/burthope feel where jagex crammed as much as they can into one area.

Also, Rimmington looks worse after the update IMO. I think the new graphics make runescape lose its medieval feel (burthope/taverley). The clothes and buildings look nothing like what I'd think of (I'm looking at you, pompous merchants).

I can feel now that people are going to tell me to go play 07scape or RSC. There is a balance, I think, between terrible graphics and Jages trying too hard to make a game with "good graphics" (which Runescape will never have). Current varrock looks better than old varrock, but it does not overdo it like Rimmington, Taverley, or Burthope. I can see if new areas have the "better" graphics, but I would like to see the old ones keep their current looks. If Jages wants to update, I think they should focus on better graphics, not a transformation from a medieval style to cartoon/what the heck happened (ahem...Rimmingtom).

Agreed, bruthope/taverly is poorly done imo. They should rename them into one city (or if I am honest, go back to the old lay-out with the new graphics), there is no space between taverly and bruthope, a new player would not be able to say where one starts and the other stops.

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Agreed, bruthope/taverly is poorly done imo. They should rename them into one city (or if I am honest, go back to the old lay-out with the new graphics), there is no space between taverly and bruthope, a new player would not be able to say where one starts and the other stops.

I consider myself practically "new" to those areas, as they were made F2P a while ago but I don't run through them often, and I can certainly agree with this assessment - no real border is apparent.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I consider myself practically "new" to those areas, as they were made F2P a while ago but I don't run through them often, and I can certainly agree with this assessment - no real border is apparent.

I just looked on the runescape wikia to see how it looked before the update. It looks so much more like a village/city than it is now. Now it is more like a market. Also why did they make all those icons different from anywhere else in the world? Seems just like a cheap prolonged tutorial imo. 

maps:

Taverleymap.png

Taverley_map_old.png

Retired item crew

Well I think Taverley is intended as a tutorial/to show off the bulk of P2P skills ;).

True, but I find it a bit cheap, and to turn two cities into a tutorial is kind of stupid imo :P

Retired item crew

I honestly don't see how this is worth complaining about.

RuneScape is not a PC or a console game that remains the same for eternity.

RuneScape is an online RPG, which is supposed to change all the time.

I know it's tough to get used to changes, but you have to deal with it.

Even of Ardougne, my favorite location, got changed massively I wouldn't care. Wanna know why? Because I don't think about how it looks, as long as I can do all the useful things I currently can in the city and its neighborhood that's all what matters to me.

"I honestly don't see how this is worth complaining about."

Well, this is the rants thread. If I thought people were actually going to support me, I'd put it in suggestions.

"RuneScape is not a PC or a console game that remains the same for eternity.

RuneScape is an online RPG, which is supposed to change all the time.

I know it's tough to get used to changes, but you have to deal with it."

I feel like you're implying that I can't handle change. Quite the contrary, most of the updates I agree with and like, especially when you dig into the patch notes. If I couldn't handle change, I wouldn't be playing RS3 and would be on 07scape or RSC because the combat change is wayyyyy bigger than any graphical change. In fact, I would want towns to be updated grapically...if they worked on making the graphics themselves better, not change the entire style of the town.