Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Death System Rework

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Full corpse looting everywhere pls

Im assuming it'll be based on ge prices, which would be the smart thing

brb hoarding sigils take 4

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Unknown_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Unknown_Warrior

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,328 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Warrior

Good fight for all those learning teams/parties at Kalphite King, Rise of the Six and Vorago.

Who the hell would take newbs to these bosses if it costs them 1-3M every death? And don't give me that genius idea of Mod Chris L of giving players a title if they help newbs get up to 10 kills, since 10 kills won't get you in any noteworthy KK/ROTS/Rago FC's.

Unknown_Warrior.jpegIgGCP.png

Dragon Drops : 5 Dragon Medium Helmets, 3 Dragon Claws, 3 Dragon platelegs, 2 Dragon plateskirts, 2 Dragon Hatchets, 2 Dragon Spears, 7 pairs of Dragon Boots, 1 Dragon pickaxe, 10 Dragon defenders, 3 Dragon 2h swords, 1 Dragon armour Slice, 1 Dragon armour Lump, 1 Dragon chainbody, 1 Dragon kiteshield, 1 Dragon hasta, 1 Dragon ward, 25 Dragon knives pairs
The Warrior's Blog , Herblore Habitat - Efficient and profitable

Stats and logs

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts

But this doesn't really solve that problem, instead it addresses the issue of too much gold floating around. If anything it will likely just put off mid-level players with small cash piles from attempting to do PvM.

They were already going to be losing all of those items on death; adding the option of buying your stuff back doesn't cost them anything more.
Not necessarily; remember if they get back to their grave they could reclaim it all...with this proposal that option would be gone completely and only the option to buy it back for part of the value would be available.
Then leave current gravestones in and have people buy their stuff back only once the timer runs out.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

That would be a fantastic idea, but I could practically hold a raffle on how many weeks it will take them to converge on it.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

strilmus
[ Display Name History ]

strilmus

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

But this doesn't really solve that problem, instead it addresses the issue of too much gold floating around. If anything it will likely just put off mid-level players with small cash piles from attempting to do PvM.

They were already going to be losing all of those items on death; adding the option of buying your stuff back doesn't cost them anything more.
Not necessarily; remember if they get back to their grave they could reclaim it all...with this proposal that option would be gone completely and only the option to buy it back for part of the value would be available.
Then leave current gravestones in and have people buy their stuff back only once the timer runs out.

this was pretty much the next suggestion i would have, but they would probably complain for years about it and change the cost to exorbitant

8f14270694.jpg

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,298 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, this new system would be useful for players who lose items due to circumstances outside their control. One good example would be disconnecting in the middle of a boss fight due to a power outage.

But on the other hand, retrieving dropped items has always been pretty easy for many players. I sure as hell don't want to pay for that extra protection when I can already easily find my way back to my gravestone, especially if it's very close to a teleport destination!

Also, this system would be detrimental to players who have just blown their entire bank on an expensive item. Case in point, if a player liquidates their inventory to buy a third-age druidic set, and they lose the staff and wreath, they may not be able to make the required 60 million GP (10% of the combined GE cost of the druidic staff and wreath) in three days.

Therefore, I think a mix of the two systems would be best. Players would be able to opt-in to the new system, in which case the items would only go to Death's office after the gravestone expires.
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

No offense but I can't see a player going "YOLO just bought 3rd age going bossing!" I know RuneScape players aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars, but I hope we're not that renowned for lack of intelligence either!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

baileydafrog
[ Display Name History ]

baileydafrog

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,043 posts
  • RSN:Baileydafrog

I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, this new system would be useful for players who lose items due to circumstances outside their control. One good example would be disconnecting in the middle of a boss fight due to a power outage.

But on the other hand, retrieving dropped items has always been pretty easy for many players. I sure as hell don't want to pay for that extra protection when I can already easily find my way back to my gravestone, especially if it's very close to a teleport destination!

Also, this system would be detrimental to players who have just blown their entire bank on an expensive item. Case in point, if a player liquidates their inventory to buy a third-age druidic set, and they lose the staff and wreath, they may not be able to make the required 60 million GP (10% of the combined GE cost of the druidic staff and wreath) in three days.

Therefore, I think a mix of the two systems would be best. Players would be able to opt-in to the new system, in which case the items would only go to Death's office after the gravestone expires.

surely that would fall into the 1% bracket meaning 6m

Posted Image

tgf
[ Display Name History ]

tgf

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:[bleep]
  • RSN2:Fails at RS
  • Clan:Primishy

Hmm. This is... interesting.

Under other circumstances, I would probably be somewhat annoyed with this change. Previously, by taking <=3 degradable items (usually weapons) and sticking to nondegradable other gear (bandos, <3 rockshell) you could get to no risk/loss on death. I always thought that was one of the purposes of having non-degradables, but this change would mean that now everything has a "degrade on death" mechanic. Meh.

Then again, I die a lot.

Welp done with combat not my problem anymore.

Stormy_Day.png

atMEj.png

Estoc
[ Display Name History ]

Estoc

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  • RSN:Estoc

The disparity between retrieving your items and losing them is too great. If you get them back, it was likely very easy. If you lose them, there was probably nothing you could have done. Until this is fixed, a death mechanic will only shift the cost from one group to another.

This update is only going to remove the obligation from Jagex to review each player who was harmed by service interruptions.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Kevjumba
[ Display Name History ]

Kevjumba

Goblin Armour

• Editorial Panel
  • 97 posts
  • RSN:Kevjumba

No offense but I can't see a player going "YOLO just bought 3rd age going bossing!" I know RuneScape players aren't exactly Rhodes Scholars, but I hope we're not that renowned for lack of intelligence either!

We're talking about Runescape playes...not people on collegeconfidential.com lol.

Also, I think this is better than gravestones simply because now I'm actually trying not to die. Before, sometimes I would let myself die out of convenience, like when at waterfiends (yes, I'm a noob, I still die at waterfiends). I could die, respawn (and heal) at Yanille, and go back to Ancient Caverns fully prepared. Saves me a bit of time banking. 

I just feel like dying has become...obsolete, without any penalties. Granted, this may not be the perfect solution, but I think it's better than the no-loss-except-for-disconnects situation currently.

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Thinking about this further I think there would only be 1 fair way to implement this proposed system.

And that would be basing the cost off a calculation of total bank worth minus the value of items within the death system.

This value could then dictate the charge made.

Because this way uber riches with banks worth like 3-10 or more times the value of the gear they are risking can safely be slapped with large death bills, whilst the poor folks who might have like 99.999999....% of their wealth in that one set of gear they slaved for to try out some pvm can't be hit with massive charges they can never hope to pay.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Fabbles
[ Display Name History ]

Fabbles

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • RSN:Fabbles
  • RSN2:Bubb Rubb
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

I would prefer if this new could system could be toggled between this new mechanic and the regular gravestones. Obviously, if one chooses the gravestone method they forfeit any right to complain about lost items when they DC or the server DCs. That would seem to be a fair system to me.

I wonder if Void will be nerfed soon.

Bubb_Rubb.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Because this way uber riches with banks worth like 3-10 or more times the value of the gear they are risking can safely be slapped with large death bills, whilst the poor folks who might have like 99.999999....% of their wealth in that one set of gear they slaved for to try out some pvm can't be hit with massive charges they can never hope to pay.

Honestly, the nonexistent scaling they proposed is kind of a joke in itself. 200m GE in gear has a ~1m penalty? That's hardly even an inconvenience for someone of my means, let alone an endgame player. It's such a good value that I'd actually be worried about having cheated them. Meanwhile, someone wearing a tenth of that pays... 300k. So we have a gold sink that basically does nothing to players with money and costs a fairly disproportionate amount for lower levels... Yeah, that seems entirely reasonable and not at all counterproductive. And these are the examples they picked to show us that they knew what they were doing :v

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

I remember the time when dying meant that probably someone else picked up your stuff, except if you were really quick, ofc there was no PvM except for KQ & KBD around then. What they should do is make a short timer (not as long as gravestones), so you won't get penalized by getting killed in an easy access area, and do something like that for PvM as well, then I see nothing wrong with this idea.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Kevjumba
[ Display Name History ]

Kevjumba

Goblin Armour

• Editorial Panel
  • 97 posts
  • RSN:Kevjumba

Honestly, the nonexistent scaling they proposed is kind of a joke in itself. 200m GE in gear has a ~1m penalty? That's hardly even an inconvenience for someone of my means, let alone an endgame player. It's such a good value that I'd actually be worried about having cheated them. Meanwhile, someone wearing a tenth of that pays... 300k. So we have a gold sink that basically does nothing to players with money and costs a fairly disproportionate amount for lower levels... Yeah, that seems entirely reasonable and not at all counterproductive. And these are the examples they picked to show us that they knew what they were doing :v
That's what I was thinking too. Except ironically the largest complainers ARE those who should have a ton of money and who already have expensive armors ("jagex, ur killing pvm! Why have so expensive repairs! Now I don't want to bring my expensive armor because I have to pay <1% of GE value to get it back if I die").

From what I have seen, someone with a gwd set will require a payment of 500-600k which is...rather inconvenient. I'm not sure why Jagex didn't release prices for gwd armor as a good portion of people use that as their primary armor. In other words, 100m-->1m return fee and 15m-->500-600k return fee. I don't know if that is fair, but it seems like people are complaining about return fees for end game (or what I would consider end game) without even considering the return fees for lower level armors like barrows and gwd.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

Also how will it work for ironman, which cannot use the GE. It would be a bit strange to use GE prices for ironman wouldn't it?

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

The costs for Ironman accounts will be multiplied by 10 to further show how hardcore they are.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Riptide Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Riptide Mage

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,027 posts
  • RSN:Riptide Mage
  • Clan:DGS

Thinking about this further I think there would only be 1 fair way to implement this proposed system.

And that would be basing the cost off a calculation of total bank worth minus the value of items within the death system.
This value could then dictate the charge made.

So you want mule accounts to be a thing again?

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

Also how will it work for ironman, which cannot use the GE. It would be a bit strange to use GE prices for ironman wouldn't it?

You need something to pick as a baseline though. Do you really want a JMod going through manually and assigning values to stuff for ironman :P? (Ooh let's make a left dragon shield half worth 300M because it's super super rare!)

I'd be interested to hear what people would prefer though.

---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users