Jagex Poll on new MTX stuff

Yoko Kurama

The following video expresses my thoughts in a nutshell on the matter.

Seriously Jagex, what the hell? And where can I take this survey to add my 1 vote?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Maybe it would be a big deal back in the day where there were less than 20 people with max total, before skillcapes, before bonus XP weekend and XP lamps. RS3 doesn't really seem to have a very solid lategame plan other than adding more and more arbitrary stuff to grind out for the sake of "completion."

• Like 3

77yLQy8.png

It would be a big deal if there seemed like even the slightest chance that they'd go through with this. Directly selling many, many levels is quite a few steps from niche-use convenience items, or relatively expensive B/XP based on luck.

I want to have faith that it is as Mod Sayln says, and simply a way to show that there would be overwhelming opposition to such a thing.

Put simply, JaGEx, due to essentially failing to branch out with any success to other large products is basically RuneGEx; the company only survives as long as RuneScape does, and to further wear at the integrity of the game when they should, or would be able to continue its life for years to come would be like snugging a noose around its own neck. How much can that coil tighten until they really can't breathe anymore?

• Like 1

2dgucz6.png

The problem being that the journey is what makes RuneScape more than the "end game."

WoW has instant boost to Lv. 90 available for $60, but the game revolves around end-game and the leveling process is only a small part of the game, so you pay to skip that and jump straight into the content. It's not much of a problem there.

But with Runescape, pay to boost all of your skills to 90 and you're skipping a rather large portion of the game. You'll complete all the quests and achievement diaries relatively quickly, then you could choose to max, but you've skipped nearly half of that and there isn't really an incentive to max out your skills. Sure, you get a pretty cape, but maxing out your skills doesn't unlock some epic super-special-awesome content, you just have a cape sitting on your shoulders saying that all your skills are at 99.

You could choose to kill bosses, but RS doesn't have many bosses, most of them not really being relevant anymore. You've got about 4 important bosses, but at this point you'd only be killing them for the sake of killing them, which would probably get boring quickly. Why would you need to make more money to level up your skills when you've already paid real money to have them instantly boosted? I guess you could try to make money to afford better gear, but for what reason? You'd just use that gear to kill the same bosses you've already been killing.

Highscores would be problematic as well. Pay money to have your skills leveled up to 90 instantly and you can now sit up there in the highscores as a high level player. I wouldn't see a problem there if there was a separate highscores for people who paid to boost their skills though, leaving 'legitimate' players in their own table.

It would be a big deal if there seemed like even the slightest chance that they'd go through with this. Directly selling many, many levels is quite a few steps from niche-use convenience items, or relatively expensive B/XP based on luck.

I want to have faith that it is as Mod Sayln says, and simply a way to show that there would be overwhelming opposition to such a thing.

Put simply, JaGEx, due to essentially failing to branch out with any success to other large products is basically RuneGEx; the company only survives as long as RuneScape does, and to further wear at the integrity of the game when they should, or would be able to continue its life for years to come would be like snugging a noose around its own neck. How much can that coil tighten until they really can't breathe anymore?

I'd say if they reached the point where they're making a poll on it, then there's a good chance they do have the intention of going through with that at some point in the future.
  • Like 5

I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Maybe it would be a big deal back in the day where there were less than 20 people with max total, before skillcapes, before bonus XP weekend and XP lamps. RS3 doesn't really seem to have a very solid lategame plan other than adding more and more arbitrary stuff to grind out for the sake of "completion."

I'm not sure if that kind of microtransaction model would work in Runescape though, just because there really isn't anything outside of the grind. Buy your way past it and there really isn't anything left. They'd probably be better off selling item packs than level packs.

Speaking as someone who's okay with the "buy endgame stuff so that you can actually play with it" model, of course.

• Like 2

Inb4Jameslellingaboutit

Nice "hidden" poll (anyone able to show where it is in the site etc?). Put it to a PTTP poll for maximum keks, that'll give everyone a true chance to vote and that way (as the JMad said) give a better view on the player pop. view. (BRB making alts to vote no).

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

"we're not going to do it, but we're just asking anyway" after everything else that's happened, is probably the shittiest and most transparent excuse that they've ever used, lol

every bullshit moneygrabbing idea on runescape has been preceded by "well, we know this would be shitty to do, but if we appeal to their baser instincts, they'll let us do it anyway"

why the hell is this so important and pressing that it's being given a platform when there's hundreds of other things fighting each other thunderdome style in runelabs

is there anybody left in this company that actually knows what the [bleep] a game is and how games are made (by games, i mean things that are made for people to enjoy, not long term elaborate scams)

• Like 2

8f14270694.jpg

As I am unfamiliar with other MMO's, what kind of endgame do other games have?

WoW put in a way to buy almost max level boosts but it works better for them because the game is more about the last levels and maxed content then the journey there.

It would absolutely kill runescape to have that level of buyables

• Like 1

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Was an email poll according to those who received it.

inb4 sent only to people who buy spins/bonds/coins

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

As I am unfamiliar with other MMO's, what kind of endgame do other games have?

WoW put in a way to buy almost max level boosts but it works better for them because the game is more about the last levels and maxed content then the journey there.

It would absolutely kill runescape to have that level of buyables

That's my question: what kind of content does it consist of?

Why stop at 90? Why not 200M?

Don't give them ideas. Christ. We've done it once already. 

I like how they're not using the Power to the Players poll system for this so when people vote it to oblivion they can still do it anyways.

• Like 1

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

I got it and there was no way to check if it was a scam (to get details about my account to hack it) or legit, except for believing the e-mail address was real, which can be changed to anything a user wants you to believe it is. Guess I know it is legit now so I can participate in it.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

I got it and there was no way to check if it was a scam (to get details about my account to hack it) or legit, except for believing the e-mail address was real, which can be changed to anything a user wants you to believe it is. Guess I know it is legit now so I can participate in it.

If you are uncertain that a link is legit, right click the link, select 'Copy link address' and paste it into Notepad so you can examine its destination. It should always be something like 'secure(dot)runescape(dot)com' or something.runescape.com. Watch out for tricks like 'secure(dot)runescape(dot)thisisaphishingsite.com' though. You can also always paste the URL into a scan on VirusTotal or similar site to have it scan it for you. If it's the real site it should show a positive rating, and if not it will probably flag a couple scanners. This way you can make sure to stay safe :).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

If you are uncertain that a link is legit, right click the link, select 'Copy link address' and paste it into Notepad so you can examine its destination. It should always be something like 'secure(dot)runescape(dot)com' or something.runescape.com. Watch out for tricks like 'secure(dot)runescape(dot)thisisaphishingsite.com' though. You can also always paste the URL into a scan on VirusTotal or similar site to have it scan it for you. If it's the real site it should show a positive rating, and if not it will probably flag a couple scanners. This way you can make sure to stay safe :).

Except that they didn't host the survey but that it was hosted by surveymonkey :P As surveymonkey is legit and you cannot view who made the survey there is no way to check if it is legit.

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Umm, and Surverymonkey is handling your RuneScape login credentials? Or it just generates a unique link to everyone they sent the survey to?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Umm, and Surverymonkey is handling your RuneScape login credentials? Or it just generates a unique link to everyone they sent the survey to?

The second one :) 

Retired item crew