Tip.It Times - JMod Events & Vote on PCC VI - 22nd March 2015

Arceus

Poll: Vote on Picture Caption Contest 6 Winner! (Image in last spoiler)  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one:

• Who brings a scythe to a crossbow fight?
    • "Wow, I've sure put on weight since Dream Mentor..."

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:
Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @Arceus or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

[hide=Submitting Crossword Puzzles]If you want to submit your own crossword puzzle, it's quite simple.

Simply provide a word list (about 10-20 words) with their corresponding clues. Then, message @Arceus with the word list and it will eventually be published in the Tip.it Times![/hide]

[hide=Picture Caption Contest]Vote in our poll (on this thread) to determine the winning caption of our Picture Caption Contest!  (To refresh your memory of the picture, please click here.)  Please be aware of the following rules:

1) All Tip.It and Jagex rules apply

2) Captions can be submitted either by posting on the thread or through Google forms linked within the article.

3) In the event of duplicate or very similar entries, the earliest such entry will be considered and others discarded.

4) Depending on the quality/quantity of entries, the Editorial Panel Staff may elect to put up a few choices for a public poll.  The Editorial Panel reserves the right to discount votes or disqualify participants on suspicion of gaming votes.  Only one vote per person is allowed.

5) Catch-all: the Editorial Panel wishes to provide a friendly and fair contest to the community, and reserve the right to take appropriate measures if necessary.

[/hide]

[spoiler=Current Picture Caption Contest Image]PCCVI.png

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @Arceus.    :)

Enjoy the articles!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Hey Arceus,

This is Mod Jon, I wanted to post a reply to your article in the tip.it times. 

I appreciate the time you took to write up a review on our Jmod events, hence why I wanted to take the time to reply myself :). 

The event you attended on the 13th of March was completely mental, and a first for me. We had been experimenting with ways to promote our events better, as the quick poll showed that many people weren't even aware of our events. As a result, for this event in particular, I created a banner which was featured on the lobby rotator and also an announcement on the in-game clock. Where for the same type of event (same theme, same time etc...) that was hosted in January saw around 50 people gather and kill zombie monkeys together, this one gathered over 350 people! I was clearly not prepared for that many people to take part in the event and was really pleasantly surprised at what difference a little bit more promotion made for the event. 

As I said earlier, this was a huge first for me as an in-game event organizer and came to some of the same conclusions myself after the event.  Hosting an event with so many people is always somewhat of a challenge, especially given the nature of the particular event that we hosted. 

In the past we have found that players (when in smaller numbers that being) really love to go on a tour of Gielinor, kill some spawns on the way, and end up in safe clan wars for some casual Jad killing. For the event you are talking about, which was a Friday the 13th red nose day zombie parade, there were a number of problems that arose during the event, which made us rethink the event on the fly. The lag, for one, was very disruptive for some people, and that is why we tried moving the event from one place to another. This gave us trouble sticking to the original theme of the event so we had to improvise! 

The original idea of the event was to go to the grand exchange, and together try to get as many people as possible to wear red in honour of Red Nose day (a British charity event) but this had to change because of the huge gathering. 

The only reason we ran a few games of The Drop, was because of the sheer amount of player who attended the event, and we wanted to offer something extra for them. And to a large extent, this worked as everyone who took part had a great time. In hindsight though, we should have maybe hosted these Drop games somewhere easier to access for everyone. 

When the event started, Mod Neena and I (Neena and I were co-hosting the event) saw that the turnout was higher than anticipated, and split the event up into two worlds. This clearly wasn't enough, but surely did help a lot of people take part in the event all the same. In the future, more hosts for this type of event would be a great call. 

In regards to event times, indeed we host events during our own office hours, which are UK times, but Mod Lee also hosts regular events for American time zone audiences and all the details for these are on the forums, in the JMod events thread. So even though it may not be apparent, and more promotion may be needed for them, we do try to cater for the widest audience possible. 

I really appreciate your feedback on events, and I hope you'll be happy to hear we are currently trying our best to improve the events we host. This includes asking fansites (like tip.it) to co-host events with us (your admins can check our Forums in the Fansite Staff section for more details if you are interested). 

All in all, that event that you attended was a very different event to the ones we usually host, and if anything helped us identify problems we need to address and improve in the future. 

Thanks again & Happy scaping, 

Mod Jon
  • Like 1

Hello Mod Jon, welcome to TIF and thank you for your reply! It's certainly an unexpected pleasure to see a JMod post here :). Maybe we'll see you around here more?

I'm glad to hear that all the promotion you did for the event exceeded your expectations for attendance, even if it did produce a bit of lag for many of us. I think the little icon on the game clock is doing wonders in general - it provides a convenient, easy-to-access way to check for a JMod hosted event in the near future.

I see there is an Easter-themed event tomorrow (16:00 game time). Again it's during the middle of the day for me (American time zone) and I have something until around that time, but I will definitely stop by if it's possible for me to make it. #TeamEgg!

Hope to see you again in the future!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.