Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rod Cousens Joins Jagex As New CEO

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
Want to play a in a new immersive continent and experience lost ancient cultures and peoples? That's great... Just pay $5 for access to runescapes eastern lands. Consequently each island after the arc will cost additional charges to progress and explore. Each island is roughly the size of a mainland kingdom which is nothing short of all the content you would normally play in one of those areas. I almost feel that runescape could potentially go the route of "downloadable content" expansions.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
http://www.reddit.co...ex_rod_cousens/

relevant read

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

http://www.destructo...es-179028.phtml

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

I'm afraid, very afraid...

“I'm not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they're almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist but my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue,” the games veteran told CVG.

“The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience. That would create an offering that is affordable at retail but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.”

So, for instance, EA might charge £20 for the retail version of the new FIFA. But the disc might only include exhibition mode and same-console multiplayer. Career Mode could then cost an additional £10, online play another £10 and Be A Pro a further £10, brining the full price of the full title to the current £50 RRP but drastically lowering the barrier to entry on the High Street.

Hey hey, look at what context does! [1]

cowmaster187
[ Display Name History ]

cowmaster187

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,654 posts
  • RSN:legoman187
  • Clan:Serenity Isle

ok so will likely be more of the same, he was indeed promoted from directors board.

what evs then

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

Peronix
[ Display Name History ]

Peronix

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,729 posts

“I'm not necessarily a fan of DRM measures. I think sometimes they're almost counter-productive. I can still be persuaded on them, and I completely understand why they exist but my initial thought is that DRM is not the answer to the piracy issue,” the games veteran told CVG.

“The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience. That would create an offering that is affordable at retail but over a period of time may also generate more revenue for the publishers to reinvest in our games.”

So, for instance, EA might charge £20 for the retail version of the new FIFA. But the disc might only include exhibition mode and same-console multiplayer. Career Mode could then cost an additional £10, online play another £10 and Be A Pro a further £10, brining the full price of the full title to the current £50 RRP but drastically lowering the barrier to entry on the High Street.

Huh... that's actually a really good idea. I almost never buy a game at full retail unless I absolutely must have it now because I'm cheap like that. If they left out the multiplayer mode and lowered the cost of the game for it, I might actually be persuaded to buy a game on launch day.

chenw
[ Display Name History ]

chenw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,953 posts
  • RSN:Tim ChenW2

So a basically a model of pay for the modes you want rather than pay for half of a game and the other half in DLCs..

I would have prefered the term 'modularised' rather than 'unfinished', though what he is describing is really heavily dependent on how it is implemented and the game in question. I personally would love a cheaper version of the game with the multiplayer removed, as that part in any game are stuff I generally avoid. EG I would gladly shave off $10 or so off GTA V if it means no multiplayer.

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

Peronix
[ Display Name History ]

Peronix

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,729 posts

Well, in theory it should work for the DLC model too, ie leave out side missions and sell them as DLC. As long as you aren't charging the full $60 for the game and extra for day 1 DLC like EA did with Mass Effect 3...

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
Inb4 runescape starts seeing large seemingly stand-alone content being buyable. They already have capabilities with instancing. I wouldn't be surprised seeing medium to large content being developed for a DLC sales point. This type of stuff would most likely be single player pieces at first.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

http://www.destructo...es-179028.phtml

The video games industry has to learn to operate in a different way. My answer is for us as publishers is to actually sell unfinished games and to offer the consumer multiple micro-payments to buy elements of the full experience.

I'm afraid, very afraid...

Yeah, I referred to it last page, with article and all. But we all know IVP, and the mess this guy has already left behind at other companies the past ten years. I find it very plausible they'd try his game model if the base income from the game is 'lacking'.

V O R K
[ Display Name History ]

V O R K

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Milking the casuals.

Wish I could make a game with fun gameplay, then milk people untill i'm 30 and retire.

Sway all day, Butterfly flaps all the way!  tumblr_inline_mp4i2qAGS11qz4rgp.gif
✿ ♥‿♥)

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

I think the problem is that such an approach can never work on a subscription based MMORPG. In fact we already pay monthly for expansions, more often than not we do not even know what we get the following month. E.g. people with premier membership pay upfront for up to a whole year, without knowing what it will bring. Especially with these PttP polls and RuneLabs. So I wonder what he could bring in to the team and the assets he has.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw
They should steal the DLC principle from Nintendo, who actually understood how to implement DLC. For those of you who don't know about that, Nintendo released mario kart (a full game, compared to their other games), then afterwards they released a DLC package which was priced accordingly to the content it gave (more tracks and characters).

And to be honest, I don't mind paying for the client, as long as it means I don't have to have loading issues, and the client is actually good, also it would have to be a one-time pay.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,092 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

It would also kind of undermine their marketing strategy as being the "#1 free to play MMO" if the only way to play for free is either use an old/less popular browser or pay for a client. Speaking of which, I don't suppose anyone will be able to build an extension to make Java run in Chrome anyway even when they stop supporting it?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,800 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw
^Imo you are better off without Java (one reason being security flaws, the other being that it is an very oldated slow piece of software).. And my guess is that when the new client comes out they will stop using java at all, as they would need to update two systems all the time. But yeah it would not be wise to ask for payments for the client.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

highlanders
[ Display Name History ]

highlanders

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,476 posts

Out of context micro-payments quote aside, I'm far more interested in the fact Cousens was accused of corporate fraud, pocketing a 800,000$ "bonus" while Acclaim was going bankrupt. I can't find any information on how the lawsuit was settled. Then he goes on to join codemasters as CEO, does well for a while, until things start taking a nosedive and keep getting worse for years. This guy leaves destruction in his wake and Runescape is his next plaything, I think you should be worried.

2480+ total

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users