Darklight Upgrade Concerns - Mod Rowley

Miss Lioness

Judging by twitter it seems they have recognised the nerf to be a balls up and theres a hotfix out that should make it decent again.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I would remain skeptical if it is up to par with it being an actual upgrade worth.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Judging by twitter it seems they have recognised the nerf to be a balls up and theres a hotfix out that should make it decent again.

Fair enough, but I find the decision they originally made after requested feedback and discussion, which was then subsequently ignored, to be rather disconcerting.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

I would remain skeptical if it is up to par with it being an actual upgrade worth.

Early reports I've seen do seem to be saying its around the ballpark of best weapon for most demons now, though it is weaker than the original upgrade.

Not seen much specifics atm though, but deffo sounds like it, at the very least, is back to being better than un-upgraded sword.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Am I oversimplifying things or is the strength of the weapon on demons, more or less determined by one parameter? I see literally no reason why it's so difficult to scale it somewhere appropriate the first X tries...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I was okay with the "trial and error" method of Runescape design 10 years ago. I wish for a little better from a legitimate gaming company. I grow weary of Jmods going all "Leroy Jenkins!" with their updates.

Does that reference make me sound old? : /

Am I oversimplifying things or is the strength of the weapon on demons, more or less determined by one parameter? I see literally no reason why it's so difficult to scale it somewhere appropriate the first X tries...

I think the issue is they are overcomplicating things by making it be similarly effective on all different demons.

As in they are trying to make it appropriate to the demons particular stats/levels instead of a simple flat out boost, which means it ends up needing to have bigger boost vs higher demons being only a steel sword in real-stats and a lesser boost vs weaker ones.

Rather than a flat out boost which would end up, like generic t90 weps for example, being solidly decent on stronger mobs and utterly decimating lower mobs.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I think the issue is they are overcomplicating things by making it be similarly effective on all different demons.

As in they are trying to make it appropriate to the demons particular stats/levels instead of a simple flat out boost, which means it ends up needing to have bigger boost vs higher demons being only a steel sword in real-stats and a lesser boost vs weaker ones.

Rather than a flat out boost which would end up, like generic t90 weps for example, being solidly decent on stronger mobs and utterly decimating lower mobs.

Why not to t80? That way top tier would still be best, but you'd have something nice to use against a small number of creatures? It wouldn't devalue Chaotics and you'd still need another high level weapon or shield. Everybody happy.

That's barely an improvement over Korasi's, but I guess to be fair that does require an involved quest.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

That would be an impossible sell at this point.

The upgrade was popular because it was good at kal'gers particularly, to be good there it needs to be t90-ish.

Pitch it at that level and it is op for some other big name mobs like waterfiends.

It would've made sense if they had done it as a t80-ish thing right off the bat, but the genie is out of the bottle now of what players expect of the upgrade and will not be satisfied if that is not met.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

as it is, it was the only thing that made up for the general lack of satisfaction from that quest, worn thinner by replays added onto it

That quest was decent by conventional standards, but for what should have been the 200th quest was heart wrenching. I felt like a parent saying "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed in you."

Sy, yes it would've been good at t80. It wouldn't have been used at Kal'gers so much, would've been a nice option for other demons, no degrades. Just a nice, solid bit of good use. But as usual, they have to do the peak and valley treatment.

decent by conventional standards? they just took the content from old quests, tore it out of them, and then transplanted it awkwardly into varrock by smushing everything in hard enough so that it would fit, and then literally changed nothing else except turn everybody green, changed the water red, lock off the parts they couldn't write for, and destroyed gertrude's life (and added a doghouse that is a static asset with text added to it)

the only interesting parts were some of the writing, and the rest of it is "hurr hurr our lack of effort into actually changing anything about this quest is canon in this timeline get it the joke is both that we copied everything exactly and that zemouregal would also have the exact same door codes and also every npc has stopped caring about the quest as much as we have" stretched over 30 minutes

the lore bits are vaguely amusing in the sense that a mod written fanfic would be, in that it has zero effect on the actual rs timeline, and reveals [bleep]all when most of the things talked about are things we already know from other quests

like the PoH aquarium, it's mostly reused assets arranged so that it kind of looks like it isn't reused assets

8f14270694.jpg

Yes, but it had some decent graphical overhaul and a little work into it. It was humorous and not overly painful to do. It was decent. I mean, I absolutely hated it for those reasons you have as well and it was one of the biggest disappointments to have it be the 200th quest, but I can still view it objectively.

To me it's literally on par with like The Rift.

Next time Jagex asks for feedback, just give them the opposite of the truth and things will probably work out better

Tried that, got early EoC and years worth of patches out of it.

You can't do it either way. Like I said, they don't gather feedback for ideas. They have ideas. They do it to gauge potential backlash against their ideas since they're always bad.

Next time Jagex asks for feedback, just give them the opposite of the truth and things will probably work out better

Not like they gave a toss this time. They made this decision by themselves. Muhhh statistics sayyyy

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER