Aquarium – Player-Owned House Update

Howlin0001

it went out the window as soon as they said "we're not touching the one thing that people argue about because we're too afraid to move beyond token acknowledgement of our problems"

basically a statement of we really wanted to do something nice, but we can't commit to it, much less actually create a concrete plan of action towards that goal

it would be more useful if we could build a PoH bathroom, get an ingame copy of that statement of intent, and wipe our [bleep]ing asses with it

• Like 3

8f14270694.jpg

Yeah, I don't know what got them thinking that this is the update we wanted, I think most wanted a room to use with bright fish to look at and a way to get some fishing exp in your room.

Instead we get an overcomplicated mess where you have to fish for hours for one fish, hugely dependant on the most hated mechanism ever (apart from fascism): RNG. Now rinse and repear for 13 more eggs. OH but there's more, do all of it twice more and you get a freaking plug! A plug with a stone on it! 

It's as if they are actively are looking for comp requirements and slap an update around that fact, instead of working on an update and thinking 'hey, we could put element Z of this update on the completionist requirement list'.

• Like 2

I don't mind it too much, but it would be nice if there was an easier way of finding out what golden fish eggs we haven't obtained yet. >_>

Ended up paying for 2 golden crackers because I just couldn't figure out which were the last few I was missing.

Oh well, all done now, I have a beautiful aquarium full of fish to look at in my house. :)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't mind it too much, but it would be nice if there was an easier way of finding out what golden fish eggs we haven't obtained yet. >_>

Ended up paying for 2 golden crackers because I just couldn't figure out which were the last few I was missing.

Oh well, all done now, I have a beautiful aquarium full of fish to look at in my house. :)

Update in 3 months to address this

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

I don't know if i'm just very lucky, or its just not as bad as initially thought. But through a,combination of prawn balls, pennies and crackers I have gotten 7 of the fish in around 3 hours.

It is why I do not put anything in my aquarium yet till I have all 14 fishies =3!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

I think if comp capers take a step back this is a great update. It's content that you can play from 63 construction until you get to 99 fishing. It's fun to try out different methods instead of grinding one to 99, and this adds an incentive to branching out. It's just like the harmony moss pillars, which turned out quite alright.

And for the RNG complaints, fish come quickly and th eggs aren't that rare. The design document estimated 3 hours per, and I highly doubt you won't have it finished in under 30 hours. (10 eggs 4 perks from prawn balls).

A grace period for comp requirements (a week?) would do wonders to stop everyone complaining. Instead of enjoying the overall content you just rush through it. Everyone knows comp will be regularly updated, if you view every update as a loss in gp you probably should just stop maintaining the cape.

Chaoy2.png

The trouble is - it's great IF you need to train fishing.

The comp req being slapped on is just a very obvious way to force people to 'play the content' who otherwise would have no reason to do so since it doesn't offer anything of any real use. Plus it goes entirely against half the stuff they put in their comp statement of intent about RNG, overly grindy etc.

I wouldn't really mind if at 99 fishing it didn't take all that long to do due to scaling rarity (ie 5-6 hours) but what exactly am I achieving by being forced to fish for several days to just have a few animated pixels in a room I'll never go back to?

It's not so much about whether the cape should be maintained or not its about Jagex coming up with a statement of intent to do with RNG and grind on the comp cape and then going pretty much entirely against it. Plus the fact of it being an excessively long period to gain nothing of use.

Good comp reqs are either kinda useless to already comped people BUT can be done fairly quickly due to being already maxed

Or they take quite some time but provide something of use or merit.

Bad comp reqs slap an excessive grind on to the cape that pre-maxed people do not gain any benefit by completing and is ultimately just an arbitrary time barrier to make otherwise short, quick to die, content seem like its being played a bunch when they take their post launch stats.

By all means if people are training fishing on the road to 99 its a nice little diversion, but just slap on a rarity curve so that post-99 you can get the eggs at a reasonable speed like they did with the meilyr potion recipes. Still took some time but were a lot more common if you had 120 dg and 99 herb.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So what your argument really consists of is: I'm maxed, therefore I deserve a shortcut?  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I agree a post-99 rarity boost would alleviate concerns. I just think that most completionist's viewed the update as an affront to them while the update wasn't aimed at them at all.

It seems that everything reasonably achievable while going for max cape receives the comp tag. Fair or not. Seems like everyone wants to achieve the comp cape and then never have to maintain it, even though they did equally long tasks to get the cape.

Personally I like the medium sized tasks like this. It introduces a side goal I can work on for a week or two. I lose my cape until then but that's what max and mastery capes are for.

Chaoy2.png

I don't see the problem either. It is not like livid farm, or castle wars. It is something someone is able to achieve normally. Someone who gets 99 fishing probably has completed this already. That you already have got 99 fishing doesn't change that.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

So what your argument really consists of is: I'm maxed, therefore I deserve a shortcut?  :rolleyes:

No my argument is:

Do not say you are going to not make RNG, overly grindy based comp reqs and then go ahead and slap on a heavily RNG-based grindy req. Perfect example being my clanmate who has been fishing for 2 hours has had 10 golden crackers and thus 10 eggs. I have been fishing for 8 hours and have only got 6 eggs. If thats not RNG heavy I do not know what is.

Whilst also giving purpose to level ups by making it decrease the rarity of the randomised drops in order to create a better playing experience so that better fishers can get golden eggs easier, but it still takes some time to do. IE a low level fisher at the start of the content might expect to take 3 hours to get 1 egg, but a 80s fisher might only be looking at an hour or so on average. That way you end up with a nice curve where any player coming to aquariums has a reasonable shot at getting it done pre-maxing to avoid enforcing mindless grinding to no real purpose opposed to a setup where you have to get in early or you are forced to aimlessly grind just because.

It's not about making it easy or having a shortcut its about sticking to their word of avoiding RNG and arbitrary grind imposing comp reqs whilst also making your level mean something to the content in a way that allows the whole range of levels scope to complete it without having to aimlessly grind for excessive periods beyond 99 - barring of coruse the fact that already maxed are going to have to do some grind no matter what.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Hmm then I can agree - they should have made obtaining eggs a a little less heavy on the randomness element. Although two people does not constitute a statistically significant sample size, that is a rather large disparity. But wasn't the original idea something like 3 hours/egg? Seems you're not doing bad according to expectations.

I think a potential solution to this (if it's not already implemented?) is simply to tie the chance of receiving golden egg to the trigger of each fish successfully caught, perhaps scaled for the relative speed of each fish species. For example, when you just unlock trout at level 20, you would be catching them slowly, and by the time you're 99, catching more, thus cutting the expected time for golden egg by a decent amount for a level 99 fisher compared to a low level one. For higher level fish it would work in a similar manner.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yes. If content is designed to be a diversion on the way to 99, people with 99 absolutely deserve a shortcut.

• Like 4

You can just bribe people to crack crackers on you if you're that hung up about it.

Also I got all but the Catherby decorations out of my 50 free prawn balls, plus a golden cracker, so I would say I got a reasonable little head start from my 99 fishing.

I can't kelp but think that the big part that everyone's missing is that it's 3 hours per egg at fishing spots that even players working toward 99 would have no reason to visit. The fact that you're asking compers to sit at rainbow fish for 3 hours for absolutely no benefit other than letting them keep their capes... Rocktails, monks, ans leaping fish? Sure. Maybe the traditional food fish too. But the rest is stuff I probably wouldn't have touched even before 99

• Like 4

The perks are cool (baitless fishing), but it isn't worth spending 8 hours to get the baitless barbarian fishing.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

I can't kelp but think that the big part that everyone's missing is that it's 3 hours per egg at fishing spots that even players working toward 99 would have no reason to visit. The fact that you're asking compers to sit at rainbow fish for 3 hours for absolutely no benefit other than letting them keep their capes... Rocktails, monks, ans leaping fish? Sure. Maybe the traditional food fish too. But the rest is stuff I probably wouldn't have touched even before 99

True, but you can always unlock the crap ones with the free golden egg and golden cracker you get from perks, and from the prawn balls too if you get lucky.

Meh, not interested, didn't even bother reading the first post.

I hate the construction skill and always will. It's nothing more than a money drainer.

It's like 10% construction 90% fishing LOL

Really? In that case I am gonna take a look at the first post now.

Alright, I have some questions.

First of all, who the heck is gonna fish for an egg? That's stupid.

Secondly, what aquarium?

Thirdly, if these eggs are only used for display on some stupid aquarium, I won't even bother. I only wanna do something with stuff I can do more than just use as an eye candy.

The eggs are received as a secondary benefit when you do regular fishing at the appropriate spot, i.e. trout golden egg when fishing trout.

The Aquarium is a room that you can build in your POH to store all the stuff. There is an extra room in there subsequent to Monday's update so you don't have to tear your whole house apart to make room for it.

And yes it is mostly just cosmetic. You unlock a few perks like baitless fishing along the way but it may not be worth all the effort unless you're planning to do a substantial amount of fishing.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

And yes it is mostly just cosmetic. You unlock a few perks like baitless fishing along the way but it may not be worth all the effort unless you're planning to do a substantial amount of fishing.

Well, in that case I should have stuck to my original decision on not reading the first post.