Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Behind The Scenes: May 2015

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Major Dash
[ Display Name History ]

Major Dash

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,167 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

I wonder how many people would do/complete things like chompies and champions if the XP waste mentality wasn't a thing.

Nobody. People used to play minigames and stuff because they were fun (and still are). Killing thousands of chompies is not really that fun and never has been.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Grand Lord Dan
[ Display Name History ]

Grand Lord Dan

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:DJ Dan-3

I wonder how many people would do/complete things like chompies and champions if the XP waste mentality wasn't a thing.

Nobody. People used to play minigames and stuff because they were fun (and still are). Killing thousands of chompies is not really that fun and never has been.

Don't you lie to me.  I got my 4,000 kills hat long before Completionist cape was even an idea.

How many hotdogs does it take to mow a garage door?

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RSN:Sy Accursed

Don't you lie to me.  I got my 4,000 kills hat long before Completionist cape was even an idea.

Champs and Chompies I don't think got hit by the xp waste mentality. They were never popular because they took ages, were grindy and didn't really give anything back.

What has suffered from xp waste mentality is the assorted minigames that used to be popular and have ended up on the shelf as their rewards aren't really up to par. I really think most minigames they could 'rework' to a point of being quite popular again without even touching the game itself and purely sprucing up the rewards with some decent bonus xp for time spent pay outs.

I mean BA still runs decently thanks to bxp, as does cabbage face punch and heist. Stealing creation bubbles along reasonably thanks to the tools, PC enjoys good turn out thanks to the benefits of void armour. All of these are the multiplayer games that give something worth the time.

Conversely Soulwars, Trouble Brewing, Fist of Guthix, Mobilising Armies and Cwars all suffer from not having any rewards really worth the time investment. Admittedly Cwars does run, but only because of trim req, and MA just about runs, but again trim req causes this.

With re-playability Champs certainly has some appeal - but it still will be in the fail zone because of the grind/elitism barring progress to making it good. I mean did the rarity on them scrolls ever REALLY make sense? This is in the Champions Guild, this is a place you can reach with stats in the 40-50 region and yet the scrolls take more time and effort to acquire than gaining access to much higher guilds in the chain (heroes, legends and heck even max guild garden)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Well, I had almost all stuff for trimmed comp done before thode capes were released, bar that CW req, so yeah, I had done Champ Scrolls, as I wanted to engage in every piece of content except for PvP.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Although I'm aware this is a lost cause, they are called "Distractions & Diversions" not "Extermely time-limited metagame improvements to XP." What happened to just making something fun and cute to do once in a while, like random events were? .-.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
They died when people found out how you can get said exp.

Miss_Kozlov
[ Display Name History ]

Miss_Kozlov

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Everything died to the Meta EXP mindset. That's why each new piece of content has to be the best in some way or it's DOA when released.

Most is anyway though.
Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

Fallstar
[ Display Name History ]

Fallstar

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,243 posts
  • RSN:Fall Star
  • Clan:Primacy

Even with the xp waste/200m all mindset getting into full gear in 2010/2011, competitive castle wars and dungeoneering were still extremely popular, you can blame eoc for the death of both of those.

Asmodean <3

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

Everything died to the Meta EXP mindset. That's why each new piece of content has to be the best in some way or it's DOA when released.

Most is anyway though.

Not true.

For content to survive it does not have to be the best all the time. It just needs to have a viable place in the metagame.

For example if they made a slow, afk but cheap prayer training method it'd do well as it would be a viable alternative to altaring bones. They were supposed to do that with cleansing stones in priff, but they managed to make them bad xp, slow and barely any cheaper which killed it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

We have an AFK prayer method though, or at least the framework for one - cremation. Very slow and not competitive enough to keep up with say altaring, but I feel like more lower level players could and should take advantage of it. Of course, the FM xp is kind of negligible and it is overall less XP than altars, so members have no real use for it. Perhaps an enhanced version of it in Prif to make it keep up (500% instead of 250%?)

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Miss Lioness
[ Display Name History ]

Miss Lioness

the Pyromaniac

• Senior Moderator
  • 2,491 posts
  • RSN:Miss Lioness
  • Clan:Efficiency Experts

We have an AFK prayer method though, or at least the framework for one - cremation. Very slow and not competitive enough to keep up with say altaring, but I feel like more lower level players could and should take advantage of it. Of course, the FM xp is kind of negligible and it is overall less XP than altars, so members have no real use for it. Perhaps an enhanced version of it in Prif to make it keep up (500% instead of 250%?)

500% would make Altars go out of business. Even 350% would be borderline I think.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help[left]. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:wkw

Cremation? Do you mean pyres? Those aren't afk at all. Less more so than altering.

Click logs on alter, click remains on alter, light, wait, click to get key

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

But then it would have no cost savings over altars, so it wouldn't really be cheaper (in the spirit of how Seren Stones were supposedly meant to be, as Sy was mentioning). The only benefit would be the slight afk of doing it on a bonfire over running back and forth to altars.

---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts

The balance for what Cleansing Stone was supposed to be like would work well at something like 500% burying xp it just has be sufficiently slow to counter balance it - like the speed cleansing stones are now per stone if you did that speed with bones you could probably push even a little past 500% without it becoming too op as it'd still be a slower way to do things, but it'd be significantly cheaper.

Therefore making it viable as you can choose to go cheap at the cost of time or throw gp at it for the absolute best.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

baileydafrog
[ Display Name History ]

baileydafrog

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,043 posts
  • RSN:Baileydafrog

Even with the xp waste/200m all mindset getting into full gear in 2010/2011, competitive castle wars and dungeoneering were still extremely popular, you can blame eoc for the death of both of those.

i heard EOC caused climate change

Posted Image

Wkw
[ Display Name History ]

Wkw

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:wkw

Additionally, back in the day, before EOC, people did mobilizing armies to get onyx (i), which was at the time, the best in class ring.

Now, surgeon ring, vigor, death, leviathan ring all outclass onyx i.

What I'd like to see would be the ability to combine rings from MA. Combat ring with a utility ring. Surgeon with leviathan, for example, would not work as both are combat rings.

Vigor with wealth, ring of death with wealth (as all of them are used for temp switches)

Perhaps something like this..

Combat rings: Vigor, surgeon, leviathan, death, archer, warrior, seers, and archer/warrior/seers(i)

Utility rings: wealth, life, dueling, recoil, slaying, tokkul zo

Neutral rings: sapphire through onyx (i), including zerker (i)

You can combine the stats and effects of two rings, from one class (combat/utility/neutral), so they both have combined bonuses, but the bonuses do not exceed the highest ring.

So for example, death ring has +25 attack and defense, while zerker (i) has 17.. so that won't work as they death negates zerker (i).

Leviathan ring has +15 attack and +43 def, combine it with an onyx (i) for a single ring that is +21 attack and +43 with the negate damage ability

For rings that have charges, you would need to use a cut gem on the combined ring to recharge it. For ring of death you'd need to repair it with onyx as usual

aaaaauserbar.gif

Wkw.png

Runescape player since January 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

michel555555
[ Display Name History ]

michel555555

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,447 posts
  • RSN:michel555555
  • Clan:fealty stars

Or just let us wear more than one ring.

michel555555.png

click you know you wanna

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw
Part of the problem is that we have to many D&D's, minigames, activities, or whatever to call them :P I remember that it was fun doing some minigames back in the day because there weren't that many around, meaning you would always have other people playing that minigame, heck it was even possible to find people to play in the gaming room (still not common though). Yes, there are bad minigames, but not all inactive minigames are that bad, there are just so many of them, and so many other things to do that they won't be played. Not all of that comes from the xp-waste mentality.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Blutters
[ Display Name History ]

Blutters

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  • RSN:Blutters

Think about it like this. Interested Person A (IPA) goes to FOG/SW/whathaveyou, tries his home world then the theme worlds, sees noone. IPA leaves.

Interested Person B (IPB) walks in like 5 minutes later, sees noone, totally oblivious that there had ever been any other interested person to begin with. IPB leaves.

Both are probably discouraged from appearing again at random.

Thus a vicious cycle forms and continues, unless some serendipitous miracle occurs that there should be more than a small handful appearing at random at any one time.

2dgucz6.png

Miss_Kozlov
[ Display Name History ]

Miss_Kozlov

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
That was the benefit of instanced shard worlds, but even with those, not enough people on all the worlds to play.
Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users