Experiencing Frequent LapTop Power Cuts [UNSOLVED]

Imperator

Good evening and thanks for viewing my thread,

As the title suggests, my laptop has been frequently shutting off without my permission. Now of course the power was not depleted nor have any compulsory updates forced it to restart. I have experienced this before in the form of the CPU itself overheating so the computer switched itself off but I can confirm that this is not the case in this instance. I tried performing a hard reset (where you disconnect the AC adapter, remove the battery unit then hold the power button to drain all electricity within the computer) and actually met a degree of success. However, when the Laptop was starting up again and showed the HP logo it died again. 

I am at a loss Tip.It users and am researching a solution now, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

irs.png

Check out my upcoming Progress thread in the spoiler!

imperatorrssig.png

*Currently postponed until further notice

Are you running out of ram? Do you have a virus? Are you sure it isn't overheating?

I. Are you running out of RAM?

- i am certain it is not, I strictly use this particular device for work purposes only so there is no reason why the RAM would be getting used up.

II. Do you have a virus?

- That is a possibility however I feel it is not the case. My anti-virus software has expired and I have been unprotected for quite a while now; relying on the complementary Windows anti-virus. So that could actually be a reason. Shall I do a system wide scan on the computer to make sure?

III. Are you sure it isn't overheating?

- Not now at least, I used to play games for leisure until I diagnosed it was overheating a lot. I haven't done anything that is very demanding of the CPU for a while. 

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

Is your Windows A/V up-to-date? You could run a scan, but if it shuts off after 10 minutes all the time, I'm not sure how you would get to finish it?  :unsure:

Instead of trying to assess whether your laptop should be overheating based on what you are doing, you should really pick it up and carefully feel it (after it shuts off or whatever). If it feels really warm to touch you may have found your issue.

• Like 1

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

UPDATE:

The laptop will now not respond when getting charged (no light displayed) and won't switch on. I saw this when I got back from revising. I know that this could a symptom of overheating @Arceus but not sure, any suggestions? 

UPDATE #2:

The temperature seems normal, nothing that is out of the ordinary. 

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

I've never heard of failing to respond due to being plugged in :S, weird...

It could be an implication of CPU failure but doubt it at this point.  :pray:

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

Sounds to me that there is an issue in the connection between the battery system and the actual computer -ie whatever the connector between the battery and main system has been damaged by overheating or by you removing the battery unit or by plain old ageing wear and tear.

It's an issue older laptops that actually have removable batteries can develop and part of the reason most laptops these days do not have removable batteries.

That being said it could just as easily be a dead battery that isn't storing/conducting charge any more since the power has to pass through battery even when plugged in.

I mean it could be cpu failure or anything else, but based on actions taken and the issue presenting the above seems quite possible.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It's an issue older laptops that actually have removable batteries can develop and part of the reason most laptops these days do not have removable batteries.

I don't know where you live but here laptops have removable batteries even brand new, except for Apple laptops.

• Like 1

I don't know where you live but here laptops have removable batteries even brand new, except for Apple laptops.

I don't know where you live but here I haven't seen any laptop of note with a removable battery in at least the last 5 years and I recently was shopping for laptops as my macbook was dying.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I have a HP Pavilion Chromebook which is a relatively new model:

hero-chromebook_tcm_245_1364214.jpg

Probably as @Gang Sabre suggested it is used as a quick money making scheme <_< although it would be cheaper to replace the battery. I think replaceable batteries have made a comeback actually or at least it is popular in the Emirate market. 

Sounds to me that there is an issue in the connection between the battery system and the actual computer -ie whatever the connector between the battery and main system has been damaged by overheating or by you removing the battery unit or by plain old ageing wear and tear.

This could be a very accurate prediction; got the laptop operational and is fine however if I move the laptop in a certain direction i.e. tilt it on the battery it completely dies. I experimented and kept the AC adapter plugged in but it still dies if I move the laptop. This means that the problem lies inside the computer because the laptop dies even when plugged in. At the moment it is extremely easy to cut the power which is very worrying. What could it be?  :unsure:

• Like 1

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

Hmm pretty hard to say what the cause would be. If it's a contact that's become faulty the best bet is probably to bring it in for repairs so they can find it, but appart from that, if it's not overheating it probably does have something to do with power. Very hard to say with what we have so far..

As far as my laptop, I have one with the latest generation intel i5 and I have a removable battery. I hope they don't bring that way of making profits to the americas (or Canada if it's already in the US).

• Like 1

Hmm pretty hard to say what the cause would be. If it's a contact that's become faulty the best bet is probably to bring it in for repairs so they can find it, but appart from that, if it's not overheating it probably does have something to do with power. Very hard to say with what we have so far..

As far as my laptop, I have one with the latest generation intel i5 and I have a removable battery. I hope they don't bring that way of making profits to the americas (or Canada if it's already in the US).

Good suggestion, I'll have to get it checked out at some point in the future.  |^_^|

Indeed, batteries are usually expensive over here which is a pain in the ass.  <_<  

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

Tbh I think in most cases its not about profits as much as it is about quality.

Where battery tech is at right now a decent laptop battery should easily out live most other system parts (like hdd and cpu) or at least long enough that the system becomes obsolete and ought to be replaced anyway. Compared to a few years ago where the batteries would lose capacity and die quite quickly.

Plus by having a hardwired battery it allows for more efficient delivery of power to the system making 1 charge last longer and eliminates a removable connection point that can easily be damaged via removing the battery or things shifting around, in transit or whatever. It's the same reason most high-usage tech these days has done away with removable battery packs, about the only ones left that I can think of are Wiimotes.

The only decent brand I know of where the non-removable battery appears to be profiteering because the battery dies like something for the early 00s is apple.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Plus by having a hardwired battery it allows for more efficient delivery of power to the system making 1 charge last longer and eliminates a removable connection point that can easily be damaged via removing the battery or things shifting around, in transit or whatever. 

Interesting stuff, I was not aware of that.  :geek:

What laptop system do you have may I ask? @Sy_Accursed

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

I've got an MSI GS60 2PC Ghost 3k Pro laptop at present.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Tbh I think in most cases its not about profits as much as it is about quality.

Where battery tech is at right now a decent laptop battery should easily out live most other system parts (like hdd and cpu) or at least long enough that the system becomes obsolete and ought to be replaced anyway. Compared to a few years ago where the batteries would lose capacity and die quite quickly.

Plus by having a hardwired battery it allows for more efficient delivery of power to the system making 1 charge last longer and eliminates a removable connection point that can easily be damaged via removing the battery or things shifting around, in transit or whatever. It's the same reason most high-usage tech these days has done away with removable battery packs, about the only ones left that I can think of are Wiimotes.

The only decent brand I know of where the non-removable battery appears to be profiteering because the battery dies like something for the early 00s is apple.

Don't the batteries still last 3 to 4 years? Then again my laptop batteries have lasted longer than that so I guess you're right. One of my laptops I had for 7 years now and the battery still charges, although it doesn't keep the charge while the other is current gen and the battery has yet to go down in capacity.

• Like 1

When I purchased my laptop I used it straight up but apparently you had to charge the battery to full capacity before using it. I am not sure if it is still an issue anymore but it damaged my battery which can now only last 30 - 45 minutes before shutting down.  :wacko:

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

I've got an MSI GS60 2PC Ghost 3k Pro laptop at present.

I quickly looked it up and it looks fantastic.  :-o How long have you been using it and does it still work well? 

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

When I purchased my laptop I used it straight up but apparently you had to charge the battery to full capacity before using it. I am not sure if it is still an issue anymore but it damaged my battery which can now only last 30 - 45 minutes before shutting down.  :wacko:

That is true, you may need to run it through several "full charge" cycles initially to set it for future use. Sadly, I don't think it's fixable if you did that already though :(.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Yeah your battery just isn't calibrated. You should have some battery calibration software somewhere, which will just run the battery through a few charge cycles. I had the same issue, where my battery would last maybe 30 minutes, now it lasts a good 4 or 5 hours.

• Like 1

Yeah your battery just isn't calibrated. You should have some battery calibration software somewhere, which will just run the battery through a few charge cycles. I had the same issue, where my battery would last maybe 30 minutes, now it lasts a good 4 or 5 hours.

Interesting point, so I can just find or download software that'll make my battery life longer?

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

That is true, you may need to run it through several "full charge" cycles initially to set it for future use. Sadly, I don't think it's fixable if you did that already though :(.

That is what I think as well. 

irs.png

imperatorrssig.png

Interesting point, so I can just find or download software that'll make my battery life longer?

You should have a battery manager that ships with your laptop. I can guarantee you that any battery manager you find online is going to be malware.

• Like 1