Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dev Blog: Elite Skills

Future Updates

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Urza285
[ Display Name History ]

Urza285

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,133 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Urza285
  • RSN2:Urza285
  • Clan:Looking: com/skiller
I guess they might be tweaking concepts here with elite skills. I mean if you think about how smithing is conceptualized it does have a lot of crafting components in the background. I think invention might be bringing some of those pieces to the foreground. Some ideas might be like creating reenforced plating, cape pauldrons, buckles, etc.

Maxed [February 14, 2012] | Completionist [October 25, 2012] | Trimmed Completionist [In Progress]

Visit my Blog!

u_rza.png

Miss_Kozlov
[ Display Name History ]

Miss_Kozlov

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Yeah, like a time when chain mail and plate mail would have times when one would be better than the other depending on what weapons people had.

Then they realized that was hard and they went to the simplistic triangle and everyone wears the same thing.
Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts
Dungeoneering is the hipster of elite skills

77yLQy8.png

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

Doesn't Dungeoneering already have a fairly skewed XP progression at high levels (in P2P) as it stands anyway? Accessing higher and higher floors unlocks higher XP floors and higher prestige multipliers for even the lower floors. Last I checked your character didn't start burning logs massively faster at invisible level 113...although that would be funny...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Howlin0001
[ Display Name History ]

Howlin0001

Howlin Wowlin

• Website Crew
  • 3,627 posts
  • RSN:Howlin1

Sweet. Been waiting 8 years for them to mention Archaeology as a possible skill... Well now elite skill.

So maybe we'll finally get to finish that boat they have been building the last how many years?

Posted Image

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

I trained on the frozen floors before they were cool

muggiwhplar
[ Display Name History ]

muggiwhplar

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,002 posts

Pun intended?

77yLQy8.png

Alg
[ Display Name History ]

Alg

Troll General

• Editorial Panel
  • 10,880 posts

Pun intended?

Always.

Ammako
[ Display Name History ]

Ammako

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,541 posts
Always punintended.

Miss_Kozlov
[ Display Name History ]

Miss_Kozlov

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts

Sweet. Been waiting 8 years for them to mention Archaeology as a possible skill... Well now elite skill.

So maybe we'll finally get to finish that boat they have been building the last how many years?

Oh hell, this game is littered with the half baked ideas that never became anything.

Peever
[ Display Name History ]

Peever

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • RSN:Peever142

Oh hell, this game is littered with the half baked ideas that never became anything.

No not in Runescape.....

Posted Image

Autumntempest
[ Display Name History ]

Autumntempest

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts
Some argue that the smithing rework should be made a priority before elite skills, that elite skills shouldn't be the solution to fix the flaws in the current smithing skill, whilst some believe that it can be a viable approach, as well as a way of introducing more end game content.
I personally believe that elite skills cannot be a fix for the current smithing system, as smithing may not be able to serve its intended purpose in the game, but since armour is easily buyable and not hard to afford, smithing doesn't seem to be a very useful skill until the high levels when used for armor repair. Since it is a difficult and long process to rework a skill like smithing, I think it would be best to go ahead with the elite skills.

Omali
[ Display Name History ]

Omali

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  • RSN:mtomali

I miss the old days when Jagex would do some minor update and then do a graphical upgrade on Lumbridge, promise to update the other towns, and then never follow through on it up until their next engine upgrade when the cycle would start over again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

essiw
[ Display Name History ]

essiw

Retired Crew

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  • RSN:essiw
  • RSN '07:essiw

Some argue that the smithing rework should be made a priority before elite skills, that elite skills shouldn't be the solution to fix the flaws in the current smithing skill, whilst some believe that it can be a viable approach, as well as a way of introducing more end game content.
I personally believe that elite skills cannot be a fix for the current smithing system, as smithing may not be able to serve its intended purpose in the game, but since armour is easily buyable and not hard to afford, smithing doesn't seem to be a very useful skill until the high levels when used for armor repair. Since it is a difficult and long process to rework a skill like smithing, I think it would be best to go ahead with the elite skills.

They should rework the skill and base the elite skill on that. Also if they would fix the levels for making things it would already be better. For example make rune level 50 to make and smithing has already more purpose, at least for ironmen and other DIY accounts.

Retired item crew
I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!
If you want to add me in game, add "essiw".

Autumntempest
[ Display Name History ]

Autumntempest

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 79 posts

They should rework the skill and base the elite skill on that. Also if they would fix the levels for making things it would already be better. For example make rune level 50 to make and smithing has already more purpose, at least for ironmen and other DIY accounts.
If say rune is a bad example, because rune can simply be brought from shops, but some other armours, a rework should be considered.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

If you take rune armour down to level 50, I guess you would have to rescale the xp down too...and/or probably RIP rune armour smithing for F2P at any reasonable cost. With so many more people able to make them, ore and bar prices are bound to go up...would be a nice change for skillers though, even if it was temporary.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?
---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Miss_Kozlov
[ Display Name History ]

Miss_Kozlov

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 409 posts
You'd also have to drop down the mining requirements.

Frankly the way to do it is allow smithing to augment existing armor to your character, making the piece untradeable. And make the levels be right about what you need to wield them.

Saradomin_Mage
[ Display Name History ]

Saradomin_Mage

The Two and Only

• Members
  • 7,273 posts
Hard to adjust rune's mining and smithing req down without disturbing the associated alch price and the thousands of drop tables it's on. Don't adjust the alch price, inflation inbound. Adjust the alch price down, have to fiddle with a ton of tables.

What they could do is have the smithing levels remain as they are for making the rune weapons/armour (at 85+), but allow you to make modifications to rune armour from 50+ smithing (e.g. augmentation, masterwork etc). Would be a bit silly but avoids the alch value issue completely.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

HunterDexter
[ Display Name History ]

HunterDexter

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
I don't know, they managed to replace all runestones on droptables of all monsters, seems easier to me than coding modificated armour pieces. Alch values are still a whole burden though, unless we keep the rarity of rune items as they are now, by making the rune ore deposits spawn slower and get the influx of rune ores from drops lower.
Actually, now I think of it: all droptables are better reworked into stuff like those Dungeoneering backpacks: they are alchable and don't compete with (un)finished resources and products from other skills. Right now spring cleaner is probably the most important source for ores, same goes for rune/pure essence, yew/magic logs and previously runestones, this isn't good for the corresponding skills and the economy.
It's better to rework the whole damn thing than to adjust the 'leaking parts' and have a bodged system.

Arceus
[ Display Name History ]

Arceus

Araxyte Authority

• Administrators
  • 7,086 posts

Individual runes (I assume that's what you're referring to) have absolutely no anchoring price though, which is quite a different story from rune armour and its alch values. In fact nature runes back in the day crashed and only stopped (temporarily) crashing at the point when they could be cannabilized into coins via alching. There is literally nothing to say whether a death rune should be 100gp or 500gp except for supply, demand, and collectors :XD:. There are some floors set by sell prices on shops, but you know, those are mostly unrealistically low in any case.

---

cWCZMZO.png
l1M6sfb.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Future Updates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users