Dev Blog: Elite Skills

Miss Lioness

Sweet. Been waiting 8 years for them to mention Archaeology as a possible skill... Well now elite skill.

So maybe we'll finally get to finish that boat they have been building the last how many years?

Oh hell, this game is littered with the half baked ideas that never became anything.

• Like 4

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

Sweet. Been waiting 8 years for them to mention Archaeology as a possible skill... Well now elite skill.

So maybe we'll finally get to finish that boat they have been building the last how many years?

Oh hell, this game is littered with the half baked ideas that never became anything.

No not in Runescape.....

peever142.png

Some argue that the smithing rework should be made a priority before elite skills, that elite skills shouldn't be the solution to fix the flaws in the current smithing skill, whilst some believe that it can be a viable approach, as well as a way of introducing more end game content.

I personally believe that elite skills cannot be a fix for the current smithing system, as smithing may not be able to serve its intended purpose in the game, but since armour is easily buyable and not hard to afford, smithing doesn't seem to be a very useful skill until the high levels when used for armor repair. Since it is a difficult and long process to rework a skill like smithing, I think it would be best to go ahead with the elite skills.

I miss the old days when Jagex would do some minor update and then do a graphical upgrade on Lumbridge, promise to update the other towns, and then never follow through on it up until their next engine upgrade when the cycle would start over again.

• Like 1

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Some argue that the smithing rework should be made a priority before elite skills, that elite skills shouldn't be the solution to fix the flaws in the current smithing skill, whilst some believe that it can be a viable approach, as well as a way of introducing more end game content.

I personally believe that elite skills cannot be a fix for the current smithing system, as smithing may not be able to serve its intended purpose in the game, but since armour is easily buyable and not hard to afford, smithing doesn't seem to be a very useful skill until the high levels when used for armor repair. Since it is a difficult and long process to rework a skill like smithing, I think it would be best to go ahead with the elite skills.

They should rework the skill and base the elite skill on that. Also if they would fix the levels for making things it would already be better. For example make rune level 50 to make and smithing has already more purpose, at least for ironmen and other DIY accounts.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

They should rework the skill and base the elite skill on that. Also if they would fix the levels for making things it would already be better. For example make rune level 50 to make and smithing has already more purpose, at least for ironmen and other DIY accounts.
If say rune is a bad example, because rune can simply be brought from shops, but some other armours, a rework should be considered.

If you take rune armour down to level 50, I guess you would have to rescale the xp down too...and/or probably RIP rune armour smithing for F2P at any reasonable cost. With so many more people able to make them, ore and bar prices are bound to go up...would be a nice change for skillers though, even if it was temporary.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

You'd also have to drop down the mining requirements.

Frankly the way to do it is allow smithing to augment existing armor to your character, making the piece untradeable. And make the levels be right about what you need to wield them.

Hard to adjust rune's mining and smithing req down without disturbing the associated alch price and the thousands of drop tables it's on. Don't adjust the alch price, inflation inbound. Adjust the alch price down, have to fiddle with a ton of tables.

What they could do is have the smithing levels remain as they are for making the rune weapons/armour (at 85+), but allow you to make modifications to rune armour from 50+ smithing (e.g. augmentation, masterwork etc). Would be a bit silly but avoids the alch value issue completely.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I don't know, they managed to replace all runestones on droptables of all monsters, seems easier to me than coding modificated armour pieces. Alch values are still a whole burden though, unless we keep the rarity of rune items as they are now, by making the rune ore deposits spawn slower and get the influx of rune ores from drops lower.

Actually, now I think of it: all droptables are better reworked into stuff like those Dungeoneering backpacks: they are alchable and don't compete with (un)finished resources and products from other skills. Right now spring cleaner is probably the most important source for ores, same goes for rune/pure essence, yew/magic logs and previously runestones, this isn't good for the corresponding skills and the economy.

It's better to rework the whole damn thing than to adjust the 'leaking parts' and have a bodged system.

Individual runes (I assume that's what you're referring to) have absolutely no anchoring price though, which is quite a different story from rune armour and its alch values. In fact nature runes back in the day crashed and only stopped (temporarily) crashing at the point when they could be cannabilized into coins via alching. There is literally nothing to say whether a death rune should be 100gp or 500gp except for supply, demand, and collectors :XD:. There are some floors set by sell prices on shops, but you know, those are mostly unrealistically low in any case.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Individual runes (I assume that's what you're referring to) have absolutely no anchoring price though, which is quite a different story from rune armour and its alch values. In fact nature runes back in the day crashed and only stopped (temporarily) crashing at the point when they could be cannabilized into coins via alching. There is literally nothing to say whether a death rune should be 100gp or 500gp except for supply, demand, and collectors :XD:. There are some floors set by sell prices on shops, but you know, those are mostly unrealistically low in any case.

Are you sure because I think I remember Jagex at one point settting min price for some items on the GE so they would never go below that price?

howlin1eeveesig.png

Are you sure because I think I remember Jagex at one point settting min price for some items on the GE so they would never go below that price?

Yeah, they did set a minimum GE price of x hundred gp below alch price during restricted trade from 2007-2011  (I don't remember exactly how much), but that was abolished subsequently and I doubt it's coming back. Even with that, though, an average rune alchs for a few GP so they wouldn't have been limited on the GE. I'm not sure what you meant though :P.

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

Or two things

1) leave rune ore as rare a commodity as it is now

2) realize with the massive inflation the gp is now worth, simply leave the prices where they are at since other skills in that level range can net you comparative cash. Combat, herb collecting, even fishing raw stuff might be worth the same when compared to collecting your own items.

Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God! A skill might make an amount of money within the same hemisphere as a boss drop! This clearly must be the work of and return of Jesus to make this possible.

...except all the people who will do bossing will start afk farming it on another account until profits get hammered down. RIP miracle. :P

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

No because it would have the same alch amount as it always did. Couldn't go below that. People would go for the ore spots and have some competition, but it would still not be that much.

Maybe just tweak the exp rates on it. Or don't. There isn't that much rune ore/bars in the game really. Next to other things.

So you're suggesting to add a bunch of rune rocks or what :P? Because even if you dropped it from 85 to 50 I don't think there would be a huge influx of ores. Maybe more lower level people would try to take advantage of it, but as far as I can recall ores are usually mined away quickly, and someone with 30 levels up on them would easily crash much of the time...

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

So you're suggesting to add a bunch of rune rocks or what :P? Because even if you dropped it from 85 to 50 I don't think there would be a huge influx of ores. Maybe more lower level people would try to take advantage of it, but as far as I can recall ores are usually mined away quickly, and someone with 30 levels up on them would easily crash much of the time...

No no, I want them to not. Keep same amount of ore rocks. Drop mining and smithing levels down. Keep the alch amounts the same.

More people mine and smith rune, but limit resources and a skill can actually make some money.

Brilliant!