Behind the Scenes - September 2015

helring

Behind the Scenes - September 2015

Much like a good book, September has villains in Lord of Vampyrium, fantastic locations in Prifddinas Waterfall Fishing, and a terrific ending with the Double XP Weekend on the 25th. With Balthazar's Raffle running throughout, you won't be able to put RuneScape down!

Balthazar's Raffle

Every day in September, Balthazar will be asking you to roll up and take part in his raffle. He'll offer one ticket a day from his tent near Burthorpe lodestone, so make sure you visit him from the 1st of September.

He'll also throw in an additional ticket per day if you complete one of two tasks: a daily challenge, or searching the world for his star act – Gilly Willikers the clown – who has gone missing, and could be tumbling anywhere near the lodestones of RuneScape.

The choice is yours: enter your tickets on the day you get them, or save them up for a killer prize. There's something different each day, and they continue to rotate throughout the month. We're expecting people to go crazy for the golden Barrows armour, as they Dha-rock:

Day- Prize- Quantity

Monday- Spring cleaner, pre-loaded with 250 springs- 5,000

Tuesday- 100 million coins- 100

Wednesday- 5 large protean packs- 30,000

Thursday- 1 portable bank- 40,000

Friday- 3 deathtouched darts- 20,000

Saturday- Golden Barrows (Guthan, Ahrim & Verac)- 1,000 of each

Sunday -Golden Barrows (Dharok, Karil & Torag)- 1,000 of each

There's something new to the raffle this year: Balthazar's Bargain Barrel Blowout. For every five tickets you hand in, you'll receive a Rummage token. After the raffle is over on October 1st, you can cash in the token to take a dip in Balthazar's barrel. You'll find lamps, resources and a rare chance at a golden Akrisae Barrows set!

The Lord of Vampyrium

It's been nine years since Castle Drakan was added to the game, and this month's Master quest - The Lord of Vampyrium - opens the gates and beckons you inside.

Lord_of_Vampyrium_wide.jpg

The story starts with something that has not happened for centuries: Lord Drakan has shown his face in public. There is no clue to what he wants, or why he has chosen this moment, but the Myreque don't care. This is a gilt-edged opportunity, and they will grab onto it with everything they have.

Take your place at the head of the Myreque, break into Darkmeyer and bring an end to his reign. There's no turning away now: it is time to kill or be killed.

The Lord of Vampyrium is the penultimate quest in the Myreque series, and has some steep master requirements, so make sure you're ready when it swoops down in September:

Branches of Darkmeyer

Level 79 Construction

Level 78 Slayer

Level 75 Constitution

Level 75 Defence

Level 75 Prayer

Level 75 Strength

Level 70 Hunter

You would be hard-pressed to find a quest as dark, desperate and intense as Lord of Vampyrium, and we think you'll go batty for it. Personally, I'm looking forward to counting the gravestones outside of Castle Drakan on day one.

Lord_of_Vampyrium_1.jpgLord_of_Vampyrium_2.jpg

Prifddinas Waterfall Fishing

Ferenc2017's Runelabs idea - Priffdinas Waterfall Fishing - makes a splash this month, offering social skilling with healthy XP rates in a beautiful environment.

Between the Meilyr and Crwys clan districts, you will be able to clamber up the sides of a waterfall to a secret fishing spot. Once there, you'll be able to kick back and fish crystal urchins to your heart's content.

This is a low effort activity, similar to the Seren Stones. It's not the top XP in the game, but it's very competitive, and is a great way to train while chatting with your friends. We'll even throw in the odd distraction, like a giant urchin, geyser or leaping urchins.

You'll be able to trade in urchins for rewards and experience, including a crystal fishing rod and homes for the much-sought-after hermit crab. This little beauty can only be found through fishing in the new spots, and will live in any home you buy for it, such as the treasure chest and old boot.

prifddinas_waterfall.jpgwaterfall_hermit_crab_boot.jpg

Double XP Weekend | 25th September

For many of you, September will be all about Double XP Weekend, starting 25th of September. That gives you a month to get prepared, hoard resources and aim for serious gains!

Throughout the month, we have fine-tuned the updates and promotions to aid you on that path. Balthazar's Raffle offers Bonus XP stars as consolation prizes, and protean packs and portable banks as prizes. Waterfall Fishing is prime Double XP fodder, too, and there is the small topic of Time to Train...

Time to Train and More

If you remember Time to Train, it's dead simple. Everything in Treasure Hunter becomes prismatic XP and XP-accelerating items. It's just the ticket for power-levellers over Double XP Weekend.

There are other glittery Treasure Hunter promotions to distract you over the month. Starfury armour lands on Gielinor, alongside the return of their partner weapons. These scaling combat sets are potent in battle but also offer mining bonuses at the Seren Stones.

Starfury_Armour.jpg

Finally, we'll be upping the number of Keepsake slots to 50, which might be of benefit when you see the bleakly beautiful items that Lord of Vampyrium has to offer!

Clan Cup

Finally, 7th September signals the start of the 2015 Clan Cup! This your clan's chance to prove their skill, and we have amazing prizes up for grabs too. The Bossing Cup tosses out weekly boss challenges that would make the average player weep, while we're expecting the PvP cup to be a bloodbath. The Raids Cup steps it up even further, while the Skilling Cup has a different flavour entirely, testing your clan's ability to gain XP within a session.

Make sure you get your registrations in before 4th September if you and your clan want to start handing out family-sized cans of whoop-ass.

It may be the end of the summer and another year at university and school, but we think you'll agree that there's plenty to look forward to in this super September.

Mod Osborne

Lead Designer

Next Week's Streams

Next week sees the return of our new morning show, Good Morning Gielinor, as well as a selection of RuneFest teasers that you don’t want to miss – whether you’ll be at the event or watching from home!

Watch it on Twitch at 8.30 UTC (Game Time) and catch Good Morning Gielinor - Episode 1, if you missed it.

What is a Behind the Scenes article?

Behind the Scenes is a sneak peek at the planned game updates that we hope to launch in the coming month.

This, however, is only a plan - not a promise - that a particular update will be released in a particular way or at a particular time. To get you the highest quality updates as quickly as possible, we usually keep on tweaking and testing right up until the moment before release, so sometimes things change or take a bit longer than expected. We aren't afraid to change our plan if necessary, as we will never launch an update before it is ready.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

"Finally, we'll be upping the number of Keepsake slots to 50"

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Um, those levels seem firmly in the Grandmaster range.

Do you ever not complain about updates?

• Like 7

xcsx7c.png | 3gliP.jpg | 51y5tv.png  |  8mO5K.jpg

A Blog to Bathtubs for Beginners
Quest Cape | 99 Defence Achieved 11-Jul-2011 17:41 | 99 Prayer 11-Jul-2012 | 99 Constitution 02-Aug-2012

99 Attack 31/10/2012 | 99 Dungeoneering 31/10/2012 | 99 Strength 31/10/2012 | 99 Magic 2/12/2012

99 Range 16/12/2012 | 99 Herblore 25/12/2012 | 99 Summoning 4/1/2013 | 99 Firemaking 6/3/2013

99 Farming 10/4/2013 | 99 Slayer 11/7/2013 | 99 Fletching 21/8/2013  |  99 Smithing 22/8/2013 

99 Crafting 19/12/2013  |  99 Cooking 15/1/2014  |  99 Agility 25/1/2014  |  99 Thieving 01/02/2014

99 Construction 21/04/2014  |  99 Woodcutting 04/03/2014  |  99 Fishing 17/04/2014  |  99 Mining 23/07/2015

99 Divination 27/07/2015  |  99 Runecrafting 20/08/2015  |  99 Hunter 20/08/2015  | Maxed 20/08/2015

Um, those levels seem firmly in the Grandmaster range.

Do you ever not complain about updates?

That clearly wasn't a complaint. I was pointing out an inconsistency in categorization. Then again, it's all fairly meaningless anyway.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

They said that they were keeping it as a Master level quest because they want the finale to be a Grandmaster

Why would it not be possible to have two grandmasters follow each other? :P

• Like 1

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Yea, looking over past quest reqs, it seems like things in the upper 70's can go either way as Grandmaster or Master. Although it seems requiring a level 80 is the point that they are always Grandmaster.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

That would push the level requirements above those of Plague's End, wouldn't it? There really isn't much reason not to call it a GM quest by that standard, unless the quest itself won't be especially long or hard.

But they've always maintained that levels only are what determine a Grandmaster quest. This was first discussed after the release of the embarrassingly bad Nomad's Requiem quest.

• Like 1

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

That would push the level requirements above those of Plague's End, wouldn't it? There really isn't much reason not to call it a GM quest by that standard, unless the quest itself won't be especially long or hard.

But they've always maintained that levels only are what determine a Grandmaster quest. This was first discussed after the release of the embarrassingly bad Nomad's Requiem quest.

But that standard hasn't been valid since The World Wakes, which, by the looks of things, is going to have its sole requirement changed/removed.

• Like 1

But that standard hasn't been valid since The World Wakes, which, by the looks of things, is going to have its sole requirement changed/removed.

I think the World Wakes was justified not based solely upon the hard reqs to do it, but also all the quests suggested before completing it. It builds off The Void Stares Back which requires a level 80.

I think the World Wakes was justified not based solely upon the hard reqs to do it, but also all the quests suggested before completing it. It builds off The Void Stares Back which requires a level 80.

Not denying that TWW deserved its rank (for impact, if not for raw requirements): it's more an argument for jumping this one up. Since Branches of Darkmeyer would add 76 WC and a couple of 70s, you're looking at pretty similar requirements to Plague's End.

Let us hope the quest lives up the hype unlike some other recent releases or holy cow this month is gonna be a barren one in terms of release.

I mean sure fishing thing will be nice and all, but it doesn't really hold much attention holding longevity as updates go for anyone already done with fishing so in terms of stuff to do rather than just stuff to look at then carry on as normal the quest is all the month holds.

Also epic lol that Akrisae set is the 'super rare' rummage barrel prize gd game putting the one set people don't really want or use as the super rare prize. I mean Ahrim and Karil get usage from being decent t70 gear for range and mage. The melee brothers all see some usage for the same cause plus dhar n guth get some set effect usage. But ark is like junk. 

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Gonna try for at least one Barrows set. Don't really care which because its not like I intend to use it for stats if I get one, I'll just keepsake it.

Tbh I more interested in the starfury armour that any of the gold sets.

Not sure what to go for in the raffle yet.

Spring Cleaner and portable banks are on the no list for me.

Gold Barrows and 100m I guess are alright but dunno if they are worth it.

Protean and Death Touched aren't half bad, though with my luck Protean is probably a much wiser choice.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue