5th October 2015 - Virtual Levelling | Ninja Update

Arceus

Virtual Levelling | Ninja Update

The Ninjas have added the option for Virtual Levelling in today's update. Turn it on and you'll see how far you've progressed towards that illustrious level 120 equivalent in each of your skills!

While there's no content to unlock between 99 and 120, you will still get level-up messages. There is also the choice of some cool icons you can display on your stats to mark your dedication and skill. These will be gold on level 120 skill equivalents, and crystal if you reach 200 million XP.

You'll find the Virtual Levelling options in the Miscellaneous tab of the Game Settings interface.

Live Streams this Week

Each week we stream developer Q&As, in-game events and more. Watch our streams and find a full streaming schedule over on our Twitch channel.

Check our YouTube channel, too, for recap videos of streams you may have missed, including last week's Falador Rework teaser and Virtual Levelling. This week sees us discuss all the awesome reveals we've talked about at RuneFest, and catch up wit the Customer Support Team.

Developer Q&A: RuneScape Reveals | 16:00 UTC, Tuesday 6th October

Join a special cast of JMods on the streaming sofas as they take your questions - this week, we'll be discussing all the awesome reveals we've spoken about at RuneFest, including all the exciting updates we've got planned for 2016. Be prepared for some big-hitters!

Ask your questions on the forums, on Reddit, or on Twitter using the hashtag#RSDevQA.

Q&A with the Player Support Team | 17:00 UTC, Tuesday 6th October

To celebrate National Customer Service Week, we've grabbed some of our team to take part in a special Q&A - to share what it is they do, what we plan to do to help you in the future, and also what they have lined up for Customer Service week!

Ask your questions on the forums tomorrow and the team will answer as many as they can!

Enjoy!

Everyone's riding high after RuneFest, looking forward to a year of content like never before. Have fun, and give us your feedback over on the forums!

The RuneScape Team

In Other News

• We've made some changes to certain pieces of gear. Find out more about these in the patch notes:
    • Upgraded Darklight is more effective against demons.
    • A five-piece set effect has been added to the crystal armour from Tarddiad.
    • Sunspear now grants more Prayer and Firemaking XP, can be reclaimed for a fee, no longer increments cremation count, and now has a 1-in-5 chance to yield Columbarium loot, down from 100%.
  • Vyrelord has made an awesome-looking Vampyric font, based on the alphabet we recently released. If you've a message that screams to be written in blood, you can download the font now!

[spoiler=Patch Notes]

Weapons & Armour:

Crystal Armour

The following set effects have been added to the crystal armour gained on Tarddiad. The effects below become available once you are wearing at least the required number of armour pieces. 

Note that the harmonious effect will only be given if you have 5 attuned pieces equipped. Attuned and normal armour pieces cannot be mixed to gain the set effects.

• (2) Increases the damage dealt to crystal shapeshifters and increases the chance of attuned crystal weaponry using their special passive.
  • (3) Chance to cause Tarddian Fury, which deals damage around you depending on your weapon and Agility level. This can only happen every 3 seconds and the chance of it happening is increased per piece you are wearing (maximum 7.5% chance).
  • (4) Tarddian Fury now also removes stun and bleed effects.
  • (5) [Attuned only] On being hit, or during the use of the Seren skilling prayers, there is a chance to obtain Harmonious Resonance". This effect lasts for a few seconds and whilst active causes Seren prayers not to drain prayer energy, aurora spells (other than sapphire) to proc twice and increases the duration of crystallise by 15 seconds.

Wearing the armour will also increase the amount of crystals and crystal fragments gained from Tarddiad, and will greatly increase the chance of finding something belonging to Angof. 

Sunspear

• Prayer & Firemaking XP granted by Sunspear kills is now up to 4 times its previous value, increasing with player's level in Prayer and Firemaking.
  • Sunspear can now be reclaimed from Ivan in Paterdomus for a 100k fee. It costs the same to claim it from Death.
  • Sunspear kills no longer increment cremation count (this must be done by burning corpses at the Columbarium, as before).
  • Sunspear kills now have a 1 in 5 chance to drop Columbarium loot, as opposed to every kill.

Darklight

Darklight has been re-balanced to be more effective against demons when upgraded from completing Dimension of Disaster:

• All existing demons are now weak to Darklight, in addition to any existing weaknesses. This means that using Darklight against a demon will bypass any style restrictions.

Graphical:

• The environment on the northern edge of the Prifddinas waterfall's cliff has been tidied up, and a stray curtain has been removed.
  • The tree at the high level Prifddinas waterfall fishing spot has relocated to east of the fishing spot.
  • Iorwerth scout and guard drops are no longer hidden by the environment.
  • Dean Vellio's armour has been updated in his 'noob' form.
  • Dean Vellio's chathead has been updated to the newer looking Slayer helmet in his 'pro' form.
  • The skill guide icons for dust devils, nechryael and abyssal demons have been updated to match the graphically updated NPCs.
  • Kardia's staff has been graphically updated to a more fitting model.
  • Koschei now has an even tan.
  • The battle mages in the Mage Arena have been graphically reworked.
  • Carpenter Kjallak was jealous of Lumberjack Leif's shiny new steel hatchet, so now has the updated model too.
  • Pazuzu's model has been updated to use the current mystic robe models.
  • Ungadulu now has a better complexion and an up-to-date air staff.
  • An outbreak of patchy skin in Shilo Village has been cured.
  • Several characters in Nardah now have the correct skin tone.
  • A skin tone issue with Fadli has been fixed.
  • An issue with My Arm's Big Adventure cutscene NPCs having multi-tonal skin has been fixed.
  • The blue bandana and eyepatch combo no longer shows players with two eyepatches in the chat interface.
  • Players are no longer deformed when turning into a chicken in Zanaris.
  • Capes no longer detach from the player model while wearing the colonist's dress tops, musketeer's tops, highlander's tops or the Citharede robe top.
  • Moia no longer stretches during the Nadir saga when using any of the available combat abilities.
  • A stretching issue with focus sight headbands has been fixed.
  • Stretching issues on Void Knights during the Quiet before the Swarm quest have been fixed.
  • Interrupting a teleport to rest will now properly animate when using Buried in Sand resting.
  • The Spirit Hunter run animation has been made more fluid.
  • The colour of the Acca chatheads has been changed to match their model in Low Detail.
  • Further blocking has been added to the east side of the Pit of Trials in Mazcab.
  • A stretching issue on Avalani's robe bottom has been fixed.
  • A rogue polygon colour on the female bear head from the Mountain Daughter quest has been fixed.
  • The hooded/unhooded Max, Completionist and Trimmed Completionist capes have been reverted.
  • Confused barbarians no longer stretch during their attacks.
  • An issue with chameleon extract not updating the palms of the player's hands when wearing dragon wolf gloves has been fixed.
  • Updated the inventory icons for void summoning pouches.
  • The gaze aura effects now line up correctly with the primal full helm on male models.
  • The inventory icons for off-hand adamant and rune short swords have been fixed.
  • An animation issue with the bow string on the supreme bow from the Crucible minigame has been fixed.
  • A small graphical issue on Firewake Mountain has been fixed.
  • A spot near adamant dragons in Brimhaven Dungeon that could be deleted by fires has been fixed.

Skills, D&Ds & Minigames:

• A bank chest has been added to the top of the Prifddinas Waterfall.
  • Players can now retune the Max Guild skilling portals to teleport to the Prifddinas Waterfall.
  • Free players can now participate in the Burthorpe Games Room. More games for all!
  • Superheat Form is now automatically deactivated when switching back to the regular prayer book.
  • Juju potions in flasks that have fewer than 5 doses can now be decanted into juju vials.
  • Players can no longer appear as if they've clipped out of bounds in Cabbage Facepunch Bonanza.
  • An issue with serenity posts that prevented players in Legacy mode from moving after jumping off the posts has been fixed.

Quests, Challenges and Achievements:

• Dying at the same time as the Agoroth fight ends will no longer result in an unsafe death.
  • The Blood Pact quest can now be completed in Legacy combat mode on the Path System.
  • The quest entry for Family Crest now states defeating a Level 84 Demon instead of a level 170 demon.
  • Blisterwood stakes now work with Ava's devices.
  • A typo in Angof's dialogue has been fixed.

Other:

• The max hit of cannonballs has been increased from 768 to 1152.
  • Players can now disable the cosmetic effects of their aura in the Wardrobe interface.
  • Adding a favourite aura in the Loyalty Shop no longer adds an additional aura to the list.
  • Certain auras will no longer incorrectly turn off when entering the Wilderness.
  • Players can no longer use the Legendary pet beast of burden ability in the Wilderness.
  • Players should no longer see XP pop-ups when they switch worlds.
  • Several sounds have been remoevd from the audio sliders on the log-in screen.
  • The Tuska spears no longer display that they can be re-coloured.
  • Dharok's platelegs (worn) are now correctly restored to 'new' status when repaired.
  • A typo in the letter to Eluned has been fixed.
  • An issue with the pets Recolour interface not displaying correctly.
  • Lapsed members can no longer bypass the free-to-play bank space limit.
  • The music tracks Taverley Frolics, Taverley Folk, Tiny Adventure, Sea Folk and Sea You Late Oar have been replaced with higher quality versions.
  • The music track listing for Beneath the House no longer plays the track Drains and Canals.
  • Various audio issues in the Jadinko Lair have been fixed.
  • A full-stop has been added to the vacuum pump examine.
  • The spell descriptions of the durations of Bind, Snare and Entangle have been updated to match the ability.
  • The Festive Aura's examine now mentions that it only works during the festive season.
  • Chaos giants now deal more than 1 damage with their melee attack.
  • All damage-over-time abilities now correctly heal Nex during the blood phase.
  • An issue where Ulizius would tell players the wrong location of Drezel has been fixed.
  • The Penance aura will no longer grant prayer points in PvP.
  • The World Map agility shortcut icon for the northern Shilo Village shortcut now correctly states a level 74 Agility requirement and the Elite Karamja Diary complete, instead of a level 21 requirement.
  • Morvran is now listed as a slayer master under the Grouping System's Social Slayer tab.
  • Abilities which were previously not displaying their cooldowns in the ability book in Legacy interface mode will now display correctly.

Ninja Fixes:

• Quick-hopping to a Legacy or EoC only world while in the opposite mode now asks for confirmation before making the switch.
  • Bronze to Rune armoured boots are now non-member objects, although they are only available to non-members via Slayers or from the Grand Exchange.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

"Free players can now participate in the Burthorpe Games Room. More games for all!"

Lol, why bother. Does anyone even visits that place anymore?

• Like 2

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

"Free players can now participate in the Burthorpe Games Room. More games for all!"

Lol :P

but it's probably like the only thing to do anymore in F2P, so...

I mean, rather than just stay at the G.E. all day, they'd hang out there :P

• Like 1

Shame that they removed cremation count increase from Sun Spear, was one of the big appeals to the weapon for those not maxed already.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Most F2P worlds have less than 100 players in them. I don't think making the Burthorpe Games Room F2P will attract new players to the game nor improve the current F2P experience.

F2P getting metal boots is a far better update actually, now only ranged is missing boots. And arrows. And crossbows. And bolts.

• Like 1

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

• The Penance aura will no longer grant prayer points in PvP.

Today there will be many a Nox weapons smited at warbands.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Most F2P worlds have less than 100 players in them. I don't think making the Burthorpe Games Room F2P will attract new players to the game nor improve the current F2P experience.

F2P getting metal boots is a far better update actually, now only ranged is missing boots. And arrows. And crossbows. And bolts.

Well, it definitely improves it if you ask me, by adding new things to do, but I never hinted towards it attracting new players anyway.

The boots are awesome news, though.

• Like 1

Is there a way to always hit the same damage with an attack ? Doesn't have to be constant hits, just a type of an attack.

I want to test if one can use 2 pieces of the normal crystal armor and 2 pieces of the attuned, to stack the (2) effect twice (for +20% boost against shapeshifters for example)

Is there a way to always hit the same damage with an attack ? Doesn't have to be constant hits, just a type of an attack.

I want to test if one can use 2 pieces of the normal crystal armor and 2 pieces of the attuned, to stack the (2) effect twice (for +20% boost against shapeshifters for example)

https://www.reddit.com/r/runescape/comments/3nkd4u/darklight_and_crystal_armour_testing/

Are you the one working on this project?

8f14270694.jpg

Not really, but I'm interested :P. If it works it's probably the best option for Hybriding of stuff with reasonable defense.

If I knew how he figured out the 10% boost I could figure out if it stacks ...

EDIT: Massacre - he used Massacre.

EDIT2: it doesn't stack.

So does darklight work against zam gw now and if it does is it worth using now.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

It never worked against zgwd,

Darklight

Darklight has been re-balanced to be more effective against demons when upgraded from completing Dimension of Disaster:

• All existing demons are now weak to Darklight, in addition to any existing weaknesses. This means that using Darklight against a demon will bypass any style restrictions.

says all existing demons now so does that include zgw and is it worth using over t 85 or 90

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

Darklight

says all existing demons now so does that include zgw and is it worth using over t 85 or 90

That's worded wrong. It only works against demons it worked with after its Dimensions of Disaster buff... This update doesn't add any more.

Still, it's the best melee weapon to use against any demons it works on. It's probably the best primary style at Tormented Demons now, for example, since you'll be able to do more damage before they switch to Protect from Melee (instead of 3100 damage, it'll probably be about 5000 to 5500 damage), therefore allowing you to switch less.

ozXHe7P.png

Darklight

If you'd like to use the equivalent of a T40 or something weapon, feel free.. but even dragon daggers would outclass it

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

The sad thing is that it would have been a really good update if it came out a decade ago.

A decade ago I don't even know if Burthorpe actually existed. I don't even know if it was ever that popular to be considered 'good', even to members way back when. I'm all for not starving the Free to Play base but that's a bit hyperbolic don't you think?

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

The sad thing is that it would have been a really good update if it came out a decade ago.

A decade ago I don't even know if Burthorpe actually existed. I don't even know if it was ever that popular to be considered 'good', even to members way back when. I'm all for not starving the Free to Play base but that's a bit hyperbolic don't you think?

I'm not sure where exactly it places along the timeline, but don't you think all the people that came to RuneScape from Miniclip would have found it appealing? And as for not knowing where Burthorpe was, presumably it would have been much easier to find if a ton of friends were there playing games, and if the games room and that area had been F2P at the time. It's hard to predict counterfactuals though :rolleyes:.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I'm not sure where exactly it places along the timeline, but don't you think all the people that came to RuneScape from Miniclip would have found it appealing? And as for not knowing where Burthorpe was, presumably it would have been much easier to find if a ton of friends were there playing games, and if the games room and that area had been F2P at the time. It's hard to predict counterfactuals though :rolleyes:.

Of course there is the small factor that Burthorpe wasn't a f2p area at the time, let alone the games room.

• Like 2

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I remember that there were some people there at one time... not more than some though.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

Slowly the game is moving towards 120 skills, like it or not.

For me it's quite a funny sight to see, 120 I don't think is hard at all looking at training methods available.

When I did Runecrafting for example it was 20-25k/h tops now what was 99 and the "respect" you got from 99 Runecrafting has been eclipsed by 120, which is it somewhere the same hours (I believe you can push around 250k xp now which shows the hours input is completely the same and perhaps easier to do so (if not lesser)) and MUCH MORE AFK.

Then again I've seen it grow from classic to this and it's a new generation of players that perhaps on the face of the plethora of tablet games they have to dumb down the game a little (from what it was).

I was watching Zezimas quitting statement years ago before he came back casually, he said he quit because "the game is becoming too easy, it's no longer a challenge", and skills are greatly valued now, 120 even 200m means nothing generally.

Virtual levels great, but the reality is when they fill gear to 99, with high level content which has been dragged out as long as the 10 year Prffdinnas window will push the skill cap to 120 and they'll then fill to 120. It's inevitable.

I have no idea how there's still joy in RS when you can just toggle on a prayer and get upwards of 600-800k in some skills, but to each their own.

• Like 2
smellysockssigbyblfazer.png