Chronicle is out.

Kimberly

It's in closed beta, but the subreddit has a megathread where people are kindly helping others play by giving away their extra beta keys. One kind fellow helped me get in today.

Not sure how I'm liking the gameplay so far. It's great, but it burns sometimes having so few opportunities to react. Each Legend gets so many actions before the next planning stage and there aren't a whole lot of cards available at the beginning that allow you to interact with others besides just doing plain damage. I'm hoping as I unlock more cards and pick up a few more basic packs, that'll change.

Anyone else trying it yet?

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

https://www.reddit.com/r/RSChronicle/comments/3u8908/key_megathread/

They've been absolute gents, all of them. You can try your luck requesting there, maybe. If I had a spare key I'd share it. :( Actually let me double check my inbox, maybe I did get one after validating my email.

e: nope :(

hzvjpwS.gif

5RX0-6CU7-C7WH

OD77-AW9M-MO61

M3SE-KUAK-VNX3

"share these keys with your friends!"

/foreveralone

I used the 3rd key. Thanks alot mate!

Used the 1 st one.

Thoose fools thought they could have a beta without me!

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Double post but sssh

Played a few games and I feel like it's got potential but the balancing of the decks are a bit off. Like you either get the right cards and destroy or your just boned.

Arianne and Ozan seem better balance than Linza and Raptor. They both have a mixture of cards and can do some stuff whenever things happen. Where as Raptor don't get any armour or wep cards? Just get to see your health go down, down down. Linzan don;t get weapon and upgrade cards? Just get to see you fail to kill anything.

Overall I think there is too few cards that give stuff other than gold outside Linza and Raptor cards and there are too many cards that damage you for effect verus too few that give healing. I don't mean we want like heaps of healing cards, but maybe just a few more than do a little healing or maybe even some sort of effect ie you heal a little when out of combat. At the minute its too easy to get to a point where it's just like well I didn't draw a Romily I'm dead.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Definitely needs a bit of balancing, but right now the chaos is actually kind of exciting!

I figured out a few ways to scrape together wins for Linza even with absolute draw failure (the key seems to be wanting to win at ANY cost and then finding the most efficient way to burn your scant resources), but it probably won't hold up to somebody with way better cards.

On the plus side, some of Linza's later cards seem to be specifically designed to flatten speed bumps by providing more points of entry into winning or surviving, so we'll see how that develops.

8f14270694.jpg

Linza seems like the most well built in terms of having unique gameplay.

All the 3 other 3 I just find myself grinding along trying to balance power, health, getting gold and hurting opponent.

Linza is very clear cut get weapon, make weapon better, use weapon to seriously hurt opponent.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

you have a lot of options with linza as to how to use weapons:

- get more resources (like better weapons)

- hit the opponent directly in the face

- hit the opponent indirectly, sacrificing weapon power

- hit the opponent indirectly, sacrificing weapon

- sacrifice weapon to create armor plating (the same amount of armor no matter what the weapon's stats are!)

as you can see it's mostly based on getting weapons, so you should build the deck on getting weapons

your main goal is to make the weapon's usage and eventual sacrifice as excruciating as possible for your opponent, so you can use it to get resources, then hit them directly with it, then hit them indirectly to sacrifice weapon power, then throw it at them to deal even more damage or crush it into armor

you can also stack weapon buffs to increase the amount of pain the cycle creates, or continuously obtain and burn weapons consecutively. linza's equipment cycle is extremely unpredictable, so you can take advantage of other player's dumbfire strategies and aim for the gaps in their turns where they don't have any buffs or weapons equipped and engage them in extremely unsporting pvp rounds

however, they can also disrupt your cycles by stealing gold or breaking equipment, so you want to keep acting at random to screw with them while conserving backups, unless you see a straight shot to killing them early on that they can't realistically escape from

linza needs to keep a closer eye on the opponent's deck and strategy than other characters, but boy howdy it's fun

8f14270694.jpg

Played a few games and I feel like it's got potential but the balancing of the decks are a bit off. Like you either get the right cards and destroy or your just boned.

I'm getting the feeling for that too. Part of "getting" the right cards in a game like this is buying boosters or crafting. I intend to be pure f2p until something really gets me going, so that means I'll be grinding daily quests a lot and crafting. Both are fine for me, I expect to spend a lot of time since I have the privilege of playing for free.

BUT.

The crafting system as it is requires Legend tokens as the basis of Sapphire/Emerald/Ruby/Diamond cards (this game's version of rarity). Legend tokens are really hard to get right now. It also makes me scared because the shop seems like selling "Legend Token Boosters" could reasonably be a thing and these tokens remain scarce - else I cannot imagine the need to complicate the system. It's too early to say yet, though. The Chronicle team has been absolutely amazing with community interaction so far though. A jmod had said though that they're looking into balancing out crafting currency as the beta progresses, so I am not so depressed that I don't want to play. I just wish I had better feedback to give over "GRGRRRRGRGRG ITS SLOW 2 CRAFT >:(".

Oh also what are your IGNs guys? Two guesses as to what mine is...lol

hzvjpwS.gif

Sy Accursed of course!

I hadn't given much thought to the crafting materials got some legend tokens and a bunch of sapphires thus far; not too inclined to overly worry on my strat with tht part of game thou since they confirmed there will be atleast 1 full wipe during the beta.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Did they? As of yesterday they were only toying with the idea of a partial/full wipe. Got a forum link?

Also they ARE confirming now that they'll be tweaking Legend token gathering sometime after the new year:

Hey Everyone,

So I think its fair to say that card crafting isn't the slickest experience at the moment. It's something we've been meaning to update for a few months and haven't been able to. We're planning a large scale overhaul of the design of the feature, but don't expect any major changes in game until next year.

With that said we know one particular element of crafting is causing some confusion and frustration - Legend Tokens. Legend tokens, unique to each legend, are required to craft legend specific cards. These are currently earned by random drops in chests, certain level ups and by destroying legend specific cards. Here lies the issue for many of you.

They are too rare.

Don't worry...

LEGEND TOKENS ARE CHANGING!

We hear you. Instead of having individual tokens for each legend we will be merging them into one form of token. This means you can use legend tokens to create cards for any legend. You will still need them, but you will be able to trash those Linza cards you don't want, to then craft cards for The Raptor, and vice versa.

This will give you much more freedom to focus on the legend you like and get to that one card much quicker.

Why not removed them?

Legend tokens are an important balancing mechanic for expansions of Chronicle. When new expansion sets are added to Chronicle we don't want there to be an unfair explosion of high level cards from that expansion flowing into the game on day one.

Legend tokens prevent legend specific cards from a new expansion from being immediately crafted and used on day one. Linza, Raptor, Ozan and Ariane are considered 'Classic' and they will share one legend token. The next expansion, with Morvran and Vanescula, will share their own token. Thus preventing the hoarding of crafting materials, and adding chaos to the meta experience when the expansion launches.

When is this happening?

Wednesday at the latest. We're putting together our first gameplay patch which will have a lot of small improvements, and will arrive on Wednesday, hopefully before!

We will be updating the game before this but it will likely be server improvements or other major fixes.

Let us know what you think about the change and whether this info was useful. 3b63d1616c5dfcf29f8a7a031aaa7cad.gif

Thanks,
Jim

https://www.rschronicle.com/forum/posts/list/417.page

hzvjpwS.gif

Now that is what you call a comeback:

Me Raptor, them Linza.

End of Chapter 4 I'm half dead, they are near max health.

They have 10 attack due to insane weapon.

They end chapter 4 with a card that makes weapon attack match durability - aka they just turned their wep to 2 attack.

Chapter 5

I open with a bash that kills their wep and hurts them.

They proceed to take dmg cause they planned wrong.

Meanwhile I grab a weapon and some armour.

Queue final fight where I win with 2 health left.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

The game kind of follows the RS scheme using a rock paper scissors balance ..

Linza > Ozan > Ariane > Raptor > Linza

As for crafting - right now I find the generic cards somewhat better than the character specific. You can get tokens from destroying cards too. So just scrap all the stuff you get but don't need/want from the boosters.

The game kind of follows the RS scheme using a rock paper scissors balance ..

Linza > Ozan > Ariane > Raptor > Linza

As for crafting - right now I find the generic cards somewhat better than the character specific. You can get tokens from destroying cards too. So just scrap all the stuff you get but don't need/want from the boosters.

I would entirely disagree with your rock paper scissor thing, haven't found any such scheme of x beat y in my games so far they just all have differing ways to doing things.

All 4 just focus of different stats for attacking foes.

Ozan is all about gold - he turns your gold and the opponents gold too damage output

Linza is all about weapons - she makes weapons better and uses weapons to inflict damage to the opponent

Raptor is all about power and armour - he gains both from his mobs quite easily and is geared towards tanking it out to the final duel.

Ariane is all about effect - she doesn't get much in armour or weapons or power, but what she does do is have cards that let her hit the opponent for free, monsters that hurt the opponent when they die and cards that rely on having a big hand to do damage.

To me there's no real x beats y mechanic in there.

Ozan stealing gold will mess up Linza, Ariane and Raptor plans

Ariane constantly chucking out damage will derail Ozan Linza and Raptor as they need to divert to heal

Linza building up a good weapon will be a bad prospect for Ozan Ariane and Raptor as they can be wiped out in a couple of hits.

Raptor tanking up to much spells doom for Ozan Ariane and Linza as they can't survive enough hits to break him down.

Yet equally

Ozan starved of gold is uselss

Ariane forced to play a lot of cards is significantly weakened and likely to end up hurting herself.

Linza without a weapon is dead meat

Raptor starved of armour is easily stomped.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

> Ozan steals gold - Linza doesn't use any (at most you need 2 gold really);

> Ariane has a lot of direct hit/health cards which royally screw the Raptor cuz a lot of his armor boosting cards require for him to lose HP;

> I have no idea if you've played with a Linza against the Raptor, but if that Raptor has problems against you he doesn't deserve even a 50 bronze Rank. I had a Raptor getting to 30 HP and 44 [bleep]ing armor while I was constantly battling/striking him (had 8 such cards at the time) before I started crafting Green Dragons;

> I guess the only one hard to justify is Ozan > Ariane because she can combo-cast for 0 gold too

And how the heck can you starve the Raptor from his armor ? Stay at 2 attack ? Heck go down to 1 so he can gain only 5 armor from that ridiculous monster he uses for armor boosting. Raptor > Linza is one of the most obvious things out there. The better your attack -> the better his armor. The better the armor -> the more healing he can get (he has that one ridiculous card gain HP = your armor). Not to mention he has stuff like - for 4 gold - rival loses 5 HP and 4 durability.

Yeah good luck armor starving the Raptor and actually keeping any weapon as Linza. The only thing you can try to do is build up your weapon on the last chapter and kill a Green Dragon as your last action and even then if the Raptor is not mentally challenged - he'll just destroy  your weapon as his last action. The last battle will be decided by the raw attack power and he has a lot more cards boosting that.

I guess the stuff one can encounter after Bronze 1 may be a lot different from what I've seen. But 1-10 Bronze is pretty much that for 95% of the time: a R-P-S.

Linza does need gold though, sure many of her early specific cards only cost 2 gold, but that is still a need for gold. Without gold she isn't going to get her weapon up very good. And this completely ignores the non-hero specific cards that supply the best weapons ie 7 gold for sgs.

Ariane's direct hit cards royally screw everyone equally if you are mis-plan because of them, Raptor doesn't have to give up health to get armour and he has the same access to Romily as everyone else for quick heals, plus he has his own armour cnetric healing in sara brews.

I have played Raptor vs Linza and I've played Linza vs Raptor. I can't say I've noticed any major Raptor > Linza theme. It has all come down to the luck of the draw and whose long game pays off. If you keep hitting Raptor eough with any of the 3 characters you will keep his armour and/or health down allowing you to take him down nicely.

Armour starving the Raptor isn't always easy, it depends on the cards dealt, but its about hitting him and if possible keeping him low on gold, as if you hit him to keep his armour lower he then hurts himself on the tougher mobs.

But then the same can be said of all the win strats. Starving Linza of weps, Ozan of Gold or making Ariane play a lot of cards are all dependant on the hands drawn.

Literally in all the games I've played not seen any R-P-S at play, the only way I can see that happening is if you blindly trying to play one narrow strategy for your characters strengths and fail to adapt to your opponent.

Like whenever you come against Raptor your aim should primarily be get him as dead as possible before the end battle - the Raptor is built around tanking it out to the end battle and then overwhelming you. So your tactic vs him is to hit as much as you can early on and stay healed up late on so that if you haven't killed him you've got enough health to hopefully outlast him.

Yet in the same vein Raptor vs Linzan shoud be looking for ways to get rid of her weapon, Raptor vs Ozan should be keeping gold low and looking to mess with his gold, Raptor vs Ariane should be looking to heal more

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

> Ozan steals gold - Linza doesn't use any (at most you need 2 gold really);

You haven't explored Linza's (or heck, any Legend's) potential if you feel that you only need 2 gold at most to have a decent winrate.

I think a lot of your opinions will change drastically (no bullshit) if you stick with it longer. You have barely seen enough of how these classes play out to make such definitive statements. Gold is almost essential in every Legend build to build up combos that can take out your opponent before the final showdown, or even more simply to just hinder your opponent's plans. Yes, Ozan's goldbomb decktype is pretty common...there's also his Deadshot/Snap shots that make him quite formidable. Yes Raptor can really rely on using his health as a resource to build up armor instead, but there are weapon and pure brute builds too. Yes Ariane can do lots of cheap casting, but one of her most infamous combos is Earth Blasting an opponent for 18 damage+ in a single action at a cost of a whopping 8 gold.

Give it time. Unlock the Legend-specific cards in some ranked games...or practice mode, if you'd rather try something solo. Knock out your dailies, pick out some boosters. Try building some decks, or just look on the subreddit for an easy decklist to play with. You've got so much more of this game yet to see and you may find yourself pleasantly surprised if you open your mind a bit. Armor focused Raptors are hard to beat with just the basic cards available to you, so if you can't beat em then join em. You'll always have unfavorable match ups against certain archetypes. That's not "X beats Y, Y beats Z, Z beats X", that's just the nature of card games.

Raptor is built around tanking it out to the end battle and then overwhelming you. So your tactic vs him is to hit as much as you can early on and stay healed up late on so that if you haven't killed him you've got enough health to hopefully outlast him.

Yet in the same vein Raptor vs Linzan shoud be looking for ways to get rid of her weapon, Raptor vs Ozan should be keeping gold low and looking to mess with his gold, Raptor vs Ariane should be looking to heal more

More importantly, don't let him get value out of cards like Ice Nihil or Saradomin Brew. He'll try to use Nihil whenever he thinks his opponent's going to get a beefy weapon (hello, Linza's easiest and most common class build right now!) to stack up crazy amounts of armor - look for cards that bypass armor like Undead Dragon. He'll try to use Saradomin brew if you've noticed him using life as a primary resource early-game and then suddenly start ramping up armor - [bleep] up his gold amount with wealth-stealing cards!

We're all still learning what cards are out there and how to build effective builds with the absolute basics. The sooner people can start crafting effectively (wahoo first changes to crafting coming soon) the easier this will become.

hzvjpwS.gif

Tactical timing of cards played is everything.

I did a Linza vs Linza today all the way through I was cycling up a weapon with the plan to get off a powerful attack if I could but expecting it to be cannon fodder for the opponent whilst holding back a sgs and a nice set of boost cards.

Meanwhile they played a gold farming game and never once deviated so I knew chapter 5 their plan was to throw down a wep and boost it.

What did I do?

I abandoned ship on my sgs basically.

Threw down a jubbly in slot 1 basically wasting a move and getting some heals, already had an ok wep at 8 attack

They played their sgs with its 2 durability.

Slot 2 they played a mob to get some gold.

I played a dual.

Result? They are at 14 health with no sword - their slot 3 and 4 were both +3 attack damage to wep cards.

My slot 3? The one where you throw x2 wep attack at them for a cost of 3 durability.

They died.

My slot 4? I had a +2(3?) durability card as back-up incase we reached final fight so my sword would last.

What this fight showed fights nicely with the topic here at:

My opponent played the "Classic" obvious Linza strat - setup for a final sweep on the expectation early weapons will be lost. They did not deviate from this route at all, even though I hit them and was whittling health down early on.

Meanwhile I assumed they'd play that strat so went for cheap and easy damage early on. When they resolutely kept to the 'chapter 5 big weapon' strat I realised they aren't hassling me - I can build a bigger, better weapon early on, which I did whilst setting up my hand as best I could to purposefully counter their chapter 5. I knew in about chapter 3 I could sweep them easily if in turn 2 of chapter 5 I could make them break the weapon or at least weaken it because they did not adapt their tactics to the situation at hand.

For me the strategy you play should be something that is fluid and continually evolving.

Step 1 is when you pick your hero you establish a core aim of your strategy

Linza - build weapons

Raptor - build armour

Ariane - get a big hand

Ozan - farm gold

Step 2 is when you see who you are fighting you aid a 2nd core aim

Linza - make them break weapons

Raptor - hit them a lot

Ariane - Force them to play cards

Ozan - Stop them earning gold/keep my gold low

Crucially BOTH core aims most inform how you play from now on, not just stick to what core aim 1 dictates and ignore the opponents moves.

Step 3 is when you get your initial hand where you work out a rough strategy

These are the cards I have so the best thing I can do is X

But If I hold onto these I might be able to do Y

Step 4 a,b,c and d is adapting after each Chapter.

At the end of each chapter you evaluate what play style your opponent went for vs what cards you have and adapt your course accordingly.

They did X so I am better off to do Z now etc.

They are doing Y which means if I try to do X they will probably break my chain

etc.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I'm a person of results .. when any of you beats my ranking I may agree that Linza needs gold.

The only gold-spending card I need is the one for +3 durability because .. [bleep] Raptor, that's why.

Attack boosting cards that give no durability are practically useless for Linza. The problem is not the attack. It's the durability. And she has at least 3 monsters I can think of right now that boost weapons. Put in 1-2 for an actual weapon. Culinaromancer because .. why not ? The penguin. Green Dragon .. there is no need for gold spenders really, unless ofcourse you want to draw bricks.

I am a person of results also my results say your R-P-S thing is nonsense and that I have had need of more than 2 gold when playing Linza because it pays off to invest in stronger weapons.

By all means she CAN be played without gold, but playing her WITH gold yields much better results as you can get much stronger weapons for much stronger attacks.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I like it. It definitely takes lots of features and ideas from Hearthstone, but it has its own unique gameplay. Definitely has potential.

Here's some beta keys for any other TIFers needing em (post when you use them, please!):

E1IF-UFKO-HO4B
0UG9-R18V-TMNM
NXR3-B2WR-OR3B

Edited by Sorator
  • Like 1

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

I'm a person of results .. when any of you beats my ranking I may agree that Linza needs gold.

I'll point out that one of the top ranking builds is currently a Linza build which certainly uses gold generation to pull out their win conditions. I had all sorts of scathing things I said in a previous revision that were not generous and unfair. Can I just ask one thing? Please don't start dragging this into a discussion of ranking as though that's be-all-end-all. If you actually have a greater insight into the game, cool, share it constructively. Don't just demean everyone you're talking to by making this a dick measuring contest. I respect your ranking. It obviously represents some level of skill. But there's no need to use it as a full-stop in discussion. No one benefits that way...at all.

It shouldn't be surprising that higher levels of play are highly distilled with less variety and everyone has matchups they'll lose or matchups they'll just win assuming both players are on equal skill/knowledge levels. That's when tech choices are key. So let's make this discussion more positive: what are you teching in to deal with Raptors lately as Linza? I haven't gotten into crafting much myself. Your insight'd be pretty valuable!

hzvjpwS.gif