Nov 30th 2015 - Christmas 2015 & New Defenders

Tim

Christmas 2015 & New Defenders

Christmas has come early to RuneScape as we kick off a month-long festive celebration.

Access the Christmas interface in-game by clicking either the snowman icon on the Ribbon or the Minimap bezel for full details of everything we’re running: our multi-part Christmas holiday quest, the return of Winter Weekends and loads of community events. There’s also an Advent Calendar which will earn you useful – sometimes rare – gifts each December day, all the way up to Christmas.

The Ninjas have also snuck in a long-awaited overhaul and expansion of defenders, making them the ultimate off-hand weapons for dedicated dual-wielders.

Read on to find out more!

The Pinch who Stole Christmas | Free-to-Play Quest

How to Start
Speak to one of the snow imps at the Priffdinas, Burthrope or Lumbridge lodestones.
Requirements
None

Across Gielinor, individuals linked to the festive season are going missing, and slippery figures waddling in the shadows are the prime suspects.

It’s down to you to find out what’s going on. Speak to one of the snow imps at the Priffdinas, Burthrope or Lumbridge lodestones to begin an investigation that will take in a suspiciously present-laden iceberg off the coast of Daemonheim...

The Pinch who Stole Christmas is a multi-part holiday quest that’ll play out over the next four weeks. Come back throughout December to get to the bottom of this thoroughly fishy mystery.

Note that – as a holiday quest – The Pinch who Stole Christmas does not award quest points and is not a Quest Cape requirement. It will be available to play until the update on the 11th of January.

Complete each week’s part and you’ll unlock a Christmas activity. This time it’s the Great Gielinor Bake Off, which awards Cooking and Defence XP for preparing and taste-testing all manner of festive fare.

There’s a new Christmas cosmetic reward to enjoy each week, too. First up, it’s a new snowboard design. If you didn’t get a snowboard last year, you’ll get one as part of the reward. Lost snowboards can be reclaimed from Diango.

Advent Calendar

From 00:00 UTC on December 1st, get special gifts every day for free with our in-game Advent Calendar!

Access the Advent Calendar through the Christmas interface, and check in each day until Christmas for a new gift, including useful – and sometimes rare – items. Every day will be different - and a surprise - so keep coming back for your free gifts. If a particular gift takes your fancy and you want more of it, fear not! There will be more like it on Treasure Hunter for that day only. Keep an eye out for the new untradeable rare that will be gifted out during the month, and will be available to Ironmen too!

If you miss a day, there’s no need to worry – you can claim the gifts from previous days at any time. Note that the advent calendar will remain available for around three weeks after Christmas Day, so you can pick up any unclaimed gifts.

Please note: since the items on offer are from Treasure Hunter, the Advent Calendar is not available to Ironman players (except for the mystery untradeable rare mentioned above).

Winter Weekends

From 12:00 UTC every Friday for the next six weeks, enjoy 72 hours of frosty fun with Winter Weekends.

This week kicks off with a Dungeoneering weekend, offering double tokens from regular dungeons and Sinkholes, and +50% base Sinkhole lamp XP.

You can find full details of each of the six weekends in the Christmas interface.

New Defenders

Everyone’s favourite off-hands of old get a much-deserved upgrade today, plus three new tiers – all the way up to level 90!

The new defenders follow the same progression system as the existing ones, so you’ll need the dragon defender to get started.

Upgrade to the next tier by collecting a special drop. Note that you’ll need to have the previous tier of defender or better equipped or in your inventory to get it. The special drop can also be used in the creation of upcoming ranged and mage defenders.

However, this week sees the release of the following 3 new melee defenders only. Here’s a list of what they are and how to make them:

Corrupted Defender | Level 70
Get a corrupted sigil from the regular Barrows chest
Use it on a new or fully repaired Dharok’s greataxe, Verac’s flail, Guthan’s spear or Torag’s hammer

Ancient Defender | Level 80
Get an ancient emblem from Nex
Use it on a chaotic splint which can be purchased from the Dungeoneering Rewards Store

Drygore Defender | Level 90
Get a piece of perfect chitin from the Kalphite King
Use it on a new or fully repaired off-hand drygore mace, sword or rapier
On top of this, there have been some improvements to defenders overall:

Defenders allow use of abilities that otherwise require a shield
+3% accuracy boost

Enjoy!

It’s the most wonderful time of the year in Gielinor, so get stuck in and have fun. Let us know your thoughts over on the forums!

In Other News

The Raptor tires of the puny Slayer creatures Gielinor offers, and so has gone in search of bigger game. He's left his chest near the Burthorpe bank chest.

[spoiler=Patch Notes]
The following fixes and tweaks have now been implemented. If you believe a change has not been documented, either in the patch notes or the news posts for this week’s update, please detail the change so that it may be added. 

As always, be sure to submit a bug report should you encounter a gameplay bug or graphical glitch in-game. 

Graphical 

Corrected an issue with fogging/water effects creating black areas at the Mammoth iceberg on ATi cards.

Fixed a stretching issue with the female advanced Raptor outfit.

Skills, D&Ds & Minigames 

Tetsu and Seasinger weapons now appear on the Smithing and Runecrafting guides respectively.

Quests, Challenges and Achievements 

Fixed a typo with the Clouded Vials examine.

Other 

Players are no longer told that their mammoth ate food if the player is already eating some food.

The message for using the mammoth feast scroll no longer references the NPC the player is in combat with.

Disruption shield no longer causes a global cooldown.

Goebies named Wally have learnt how to properly capitalise their names.

Fixed a typo in Ranger's dialogue at the gate of Kanatah.

Fixed some typos when upgrading the Mask of Aquanites and the Mask of the Airut.

Fixed a typo regarding the chance to receive a Bombi pet.

A login message for Christmas 2014 no longer appears for new accounts.

Ninja Fixes 

Santa and Black Santa hats can now be combined with the Xmas 2012 Santa beard. The items can be split apart again using a right-click option.

Batwing and mystic weapons have been updated to be the correct tier.

The Mystic armour Grand Exchange sets have been updated to the correct tier and are now non-member items.

Popoto.~<3

First run of the day?? How common is this stuff

OOrziIO.png

They're common af apparently.

19509_s.gif

“I had a feeling we weren’t coming back from this fight when it began.”

“Do you have any regrets?”

“I don’t. It seems surprising, I know, but I wouldn’t change a thing. This is how it was meant to be.”

“Huh, you never really notice how lovely the day is until you realize you’ll never see it again.”

“Mmmhmm.”

Incase anyone is curious about the chaotic splint price, its 150k tokens.

Also the premier club info is out, its 24 bonds for gold members still, but RL money versions have gone up in price. 

this corresponds with the increase in bond prices, so no inconsistencies here

8f14270694.jpg

So xmas event is a bit buggy/broken - Got to 15/15 cook and 7/7 eat imp kept saying lets open present in corner...no open option.

Spent like 5 mins wtf-ing before mis-clicking to eat again resulting in fade to black penguin cutscene fade back oh look open option.

Because why wouldn't you need to repeat an action you are finished with whilst being told to open the present in order to make the open option actually appear?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

First run of the day?? How common is this stuff

OOrziIO.png

They're common af apparently.

I'm okay with that.  |^_^| Hopefully this means we won't have to scramble over each other @KK too.

I can see myself wanting defenders at plenty of Slayer tasks where I can cannon/aggro everything to go faster but have to put forth a little effort to survive. (Black Demons, possibly any of the 4 "new" elite mobs.)

I am not really okay with the Gold Premier Club price increase, though.

JaGEx knows I'm a sucker and I'll probably get it anyway... But seriously... <_<

If you've been playing RS long enough to care enough to purchase a full year's premium membership, I feel like you (like me, lol) can probably already purchase membership at a discounted rate.

I'll basically have to pay ~$47.99 extra this year to be a Gold Premier member...  :mellow: Legacy/grandfather rate $5/month -> GPC $9/month.

I am an adult with my own income; the question isn't if I can buy it or if it's "worth" it so much as why exactly must they punish those most invested in their product with another increase in price?

Obviously no one is forcing me to get it - the extra benefits imparted could be lived without, with a relatively minor disadvantage.

(Even if Bonds have increased in price, so has Gold Premier each year since its inception...  -.-)

2dgucz6.png

About the Gold Premier, I am not sure of getting it myself either. I will probably go try to get enough cash sometime during X-mas break to buy it anyway with bonds. Currently I do not have a job and I still need to pay for college etc. In that case an increase of about 25% is huge. I expect the bond price to steadily increase during the month as well =/.

Anyway, back to the update. I was like really happy that they went back to the quest based events, even though they try to spread it across the month. That isn't a bad thing, but that feels each week a quite short thing to do instead of one long session. Of course, I could always do them all at once after all 4 were released, but I am comped and this removed my comp cape so I had to do it to get it back on my back XD.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Festive aura is now active! That's +50% xp per day for 30min, up to 50k.

First advent calendar prize is silverhawk boots for those who don't have them, or 50 untradeable feathers ("down") for those who do already have them. Seems to have crashed the price on feathers for the moment, but I'm sure that'll spike back up within a few days.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

why would the price go down??? the prize is untradeble and if anything, more boots would mean the demand would go up really, really fast

hm

maybe i should be buying feathers instead of saying this kind of thing out loud

8f14270694.jpg

why would the price go down??? the prize is untradeble and if anything, more boots would mean the demand would go up really, really fast

hm

The TH promotion is silverhawks today, which is why the feathers are crashing.

Premier club looks pretty unimpressive. Not that 2014-2015 was good either but this is definitely worse.

2012-2013 you got a pile of runecoins and a bunch of cosmetics. 2013-2014 we started getting loyalty points instead of rune coins but we got a several full outfits and pets. This year's and next year's we're getting a pet and outfit at most from having gotten a couple of them. And the rate has gone up so if you're fathered in you have to pay a whole $30 more for not much at all.

The only thing that looked decent was the retro teleport which overrides fast and slow teleports.

hm

Price went down because everyone who already had the boots got 50 "feathers" (untradeable, but still). And the TH promo brought a bunch more feathers into the game, yeah.

Long-term, the price will rise though, for sure.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

hm

Price went down because everyone who already had the boots got 50 "feathers" (untradeable, but still). And the TH promo brought a bunch more feathers into the game, yeah.

Long-term, the price will rise though, for sure.

Restabilize, probably. Rise no.

They were already overpriced at like 30 gp per xp at level 90s. They're at the threshold point where it would be idealistic to just buy bonds and buy keys for exp.

Economically, the people who would use silver hawks already have them because they have money to. While the people who just got them are more likely to not have the income to use them.