Open carry and gun law discussion

Riku3220

Considering we have only like 10 people ITT the percentage can't be small :D

And I don't count reddit as a correct source if my question was do YOU know anyone who has had to use a gun in self-defence.

The USA is pretty much the size of the whole Europe. The margins are so big that there is bound to happen something.

What I meant is, most of us live in neighbourhoods where owning a gun is absolutely not necessary. Does not need to be used. And the less guns are around, the better for all of us.

I know that there are like maybe 10 psychos with guns roaming around in my country. But here's a million people who are not psychos with guns. But here is like, maybe 10 thousand psychos. But I am not afraid of those psychos. Because those psychos can't get guns from the local [bleep]ing Wal-Mart. Thanks to mandatory psychological evaluation in the country. And, because we don't have Wal-Marts here :D

• Like 1

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Something something CAPITALISM yadda yadda

Requiescat in pace, Shiva "Anarith" Kumar.
dea6a17b9c.png
351 Quest Points|99 Strength|99 Attack|99 Constitution|99 Defence|99 Magic|138 Combat|99 Summoning|99 Slayer|99 Ranged|99 Firemaking|99 Dungeoneering|99 Cooking|99 Prayer|99 Runecrafting|99 Smithing|99 Fletching|99 Construction|99 Farming|99 Fishing|99 Herblore|99 Crafting|99 Agility
True friends are never separated by distance, for they are forever linked by their hearts.

Join the HYT CLAN![qfc]90-91-310-65710712[/qfc]

Philly cop was just assaulted with a police issued pistol at near point blank range and thankfully only 3 of 13 bullets hit and they all hit his arm before he could drop he is assailant with a swift 3 shot kill. This is why open carry and concealed carry are both unreasonable in the city. Cause bodies would just drop on the reg. Shits not like that in bumble [bleep] country ville

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Rpg I don't understand what that has to do with open or concealed carry. It just sounds like a criminal shooting at a cop, which would happen whether or not guns were legal to carry.

Saq, the one Wal Mart I've seen carrying guns sold rifles as sporting/hunting equipment, next to the fishing poles. It's not like they're running a deal where if you buy a pack of chicken you get a Glock 17 free. Also you talk a lot about making guns harder to access for psychos, but I've yet to see any suggestions for making that happen without making it also inconvenient to people who aren't going to do harm with them.

• Like 2
lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Rpg I don't understand what that has to do with open or concealed carry. It just sounds like a criminal shooting at a cop, which would happen whether or not guns were legal to carry.

Saq, the one Wal Mart I've seen carrying guns sold rifles as sporting/hunting equipment, next to the fishing poles. It's not like they're running a deal where if you buy a pack of chicken you get a Glock 17 free. Also you talk a lot about making guns harder to access for psychos, but I've yet to see any suggestions for making that happen without making it also inconvenient to people who aren't going to do harm with them.

Every walmart around where I'm from sells guns

We make cars hard to access for psychos and inconvenience legitimate drivers. Driving is a much more important skill in life than shooting yet it is much less accessible. But, and here is the big but, cars are the most lethal weapon most of us have access to and more people are killed by cars each year than guns so the regulation makes a lot of sense.

The only thing you have to do to get a drivers license is prove that you're capable of driving a car without incident. Then if you do something stupid they suspend or revoke your license.
lighviolet1lk4.jpg

It's way too easy to get a drivers' license back in the states aswell. We have 40 hours of mandatory theoretical classes before you can even start test driving with an instructor. And there is the bare minimum of 20 hours of driving lessons here before you can even apply for exams to get the drivers' license here.

And yeah, I agree with making small inconveniences to people wanting to get [bleep]ing guns. If you really do want to defend yourself you are better off getting a basic self-defence melee course.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

This is why open carry and concealed carry are both unreasonable in the city. Cause bodies would just drop on the reg.

Once again, this is simply not true. There are many cities where carrying happens frequently and in many cases they have lower crime rates than cities that have bans on carrying.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Crime rates are not dependent on whether the open carry is permitted or not. Crime comes from inequality and poverty.

Or, in some cases, cultural background.

If people have it good, why would they ever need to turn to crime?

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Crime rates are not dependent on whether the open carry is permitted or not. Crime comes from inequality and poverty.

Or, in some cases, cultural background.

I know they aren't. That was his point, not mine.

polvCwJ.gif

• 3 weeks later...

You don't need a gun while going around outside.

I find my life dearer to me than my wallet and I believe people subconsciously do not want to kill another human being. No matter what. So if I behave properly in a situation of danger I can resolve it without lethal force.

I can't fathom justifying open carry for everyone when it just makes the people who don't want anything to do with guns to be a higher target.

Are you saying everyone should get a gun for self-defence? I wish guns had never been even invented.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

My second post about the Philly incident was more for hyperbole than discussion, so I'll focus my response to this;

Not even for my safety, I've just been so sheltered from it that if I see a gun it's basically all I focus on. Not ideal in a school or workplace honestly. But that's why they're allowed to ban open carry.

Gay people make me uncomfortable, especially when they're open about it and I can see displays of affection. It's basically all I focus on. It's not that I think they're going to give me gonoherpasyphilaids, or somehow turn me gay, I've just been so sheltered from it that I can't function as a human being carrying out my responsibilities at work or school. It's really not ideal, which is why they're allowed to ban gay marriage.

This sounds like in the environment you grew up in, a foreign "noun" came up in existence and you didn't totally agree with it. For you, its open homosexuality. And while I never thought in a million years I'd have to compare homosexuality to gun law, I'm about to do just that. You carry on with your day with a gun at your waist, and the slightest homophobia in your head and you seem content in this lifestyle choice. I, on the other hand due to my "sheltering" of not being around military folk, but instead LGBT activists have lead me to a lifestyle quite the reciprocal. I am open about how I don't mind seeing two guys make out, and it doesn't jar me in the least. Just to bring this closer to our given parallels, I worked a few lesbian weddings. Seeing two women kiss while I was working gathered some interest from my co workers, but only because its not a commmon sight. It didn't bother me any, and I honestly didn't really think twice of it. Now, if at that same wedding there was a casual fella with a gun strapped around his belt I'd be hard pressed to stare at him - a direct distraction from my work.

I'm totally comfortable with homosexuality, but open carry makes me uneasy. This comes from what I'm familiar with. You have the opposite, where carrying a gun is second nature, but seeing "open carry" homosexuality makes you uneasy. So why am I wrong in my belief, but yours is the true answer for us all? 

The thing is, the US is already thus far in the gun ownership that you can't really do anything about it.

It's just that I don't want us Europeans to take an example of you and start filling our streets with guns.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

The thing is, the US is already thus far in the gun ownership that you can't really do anything about it.

It's just that I don't want us Europeans to take an example of you and start filling our streets with guns.

Given that one of the EU's primary agenda items is disarmament I don't think you need to worry.

• Like 1

polvCwJ.gif

I always thought it'd be funny if humans never figured out how to create tools as weapons, yet still retained their capacity for violence. Instead of mass shootings, you'd have like this one super-strong disgruntled guy that just beats the shit out of dozens of people all by himself :lol:

idk what that says about me

77yLQy8.png

I always thought it'd be funny if humans never figured out how to create tools as weapons, yet still retained their capacity for violence. Instead of mass shootings, you'd have like this one super-strong disgruntled guy that just beats the shit out of dozens of people all by himself :lol:

idk what that says about me

don't let the government take our fists!

polvCwJ.gif

I don't have a stance really though nyosuht, that was my point if I didn't make that clear. I know I'm not into guns but I wouldn't try to take the guns away from anyone that wants/has one

I suppose if the question is limited to just open carry, then my only objection to open carry from any standpoint that concerns me is that it's going to be easier to disarm someone who has their gun in plain sight if they are so inclined (for immediate use or run of the mill theft). I'm not sure how much of a concern that actually is, but that's what came to mind.

I suppose another concern, though I think this is already a thing, is that if criminals see that a lot of people are armed, that means they need to be armed too, and the level of violence, when it happens, has therefore escalated. I'm not sure that qualifies as a concern though, since it's common knowledge any American can be armed, and guns are so easy to acquire in the states that there is no reason for a criminal not to be armed anyway.

If I were actually living in the States, or planning on it, then yeah, I'd have a huge personal issue with it. People just aren't armed in Canada, especially not with handguns. Even criminal elements are often armed with rifles, not pistols, because it's just not easy to get your hands on a handgun here. Where I grew up, if you are armed in public and you aren't a cop, it means you are in the process of, or about to start, shooting at people, so an armed civilian is to me an implicit threat: Cross me and die. For an analogy, imagine if the law was instead about the right to bring your dog(s) to work with you. Now, I would be totally fine with that. I was raised around dogs, and I had friends who also had dogs that would have attacked if you threatened their family. Anyway, I'd be fine with that, but I imagine people who didn't grow up with dogs, and don't know how to interact with them without being bitten, they would be really nervous.

People just aren't armed in Canada, especially not with handguns.

Rough estimates are that 10% of the Canadian population owns Firearms. That's not an insignificant number.

Even criminal elements are often armed with rifles, not pistols, because it's just not easy to get your hands on a handgun here.

Not true. The vast majority of gun crime is committed with restricted or prohibited Firearms, mostly handguns.

Where I grew up, if you are armed in public and you aren't a cop, it means you are in the process of, or about to start, shooting at people, so an armed civilian is to me an implicit threat: Cross me and die.

Well, yes, because it's illegal. The Canadian public has had the opportunity to prove otherwise taken away from them.

polvCwJ.gif