25th January 2016: New Skill | Invention

Sally

What amazes me is jmods on twitter saying it was better received than expected.

Like where was your bar set? Did you bury it and fully expect everyone to hate it?

Also dear god please don;t let jagex release more stats on how people enjoy things like their "99% of players enjoy sof because they use it everyday" like it had nothing to do with a flashing button that would not go away if u didnt use it.

Anyway that aside I hit 2715 (virtual) total level and the game congratulated me for hitting max total level, so I'm totally re-comped and can leave this horror behind now right? right?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

So it would seem my disappointing update thread was reincarnated into this thread. That's cool I guess.

Anyway, you'd think after all this time they would be able to anticipate how players react to updates like this, understand how they'd train the skill, and even a hint of what they like.

Nope. Not a clue. They really should too since numbers show that the people playing it are the same people who havev been playing it for years and they should be able understand them a smidge by now.

• Like 1

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

I only like this skill because I've never made 50mil profit in under 24hours time (actual time, not gametime)...
But invention really doesn't seem interesting at all. I already feel sorry I didn't leave it at L1, then I could have told everyone I just returned to game when they asked me why I'm L1 inv...

Dungeoneering was a crap update to me (it's a frikkin minigame) and now they call invention an "elite skill", while within 48hours of release there's already someone running around with a master invention cape... Jagex, I sigh at you...  :rolleyes:

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

There are some speculations about leaked info (as usual). Considering handcannons were like 30-35k before the release of invention they could've stocked quite a lot of them for relatively low cash (1 handcannon = 16k exp or so).

Probably some, but most likely for personal use more than making money. EXP>GP in Runescape.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

First off, Scuzzy, Le Me and Itrolledu are all 5.2b'ers with lots of gold and the ability to play 30 hours straight.  Itrolledu has his twitch channel with hundreds of viewers (plus his clan) giving advice and/or selling his supplies.  Le Me flips phats and (from what I heard) 50b invested in supplies.  Point is, the top guys right now are 'good' players.  Scuzzy and Le Me were the first to test the handcannons and could of bought out the market before anyone else got to the level to use them.

• Like 1

Invention Update | Some Immediate Changes

We have made mistakes.

Invention is an extremely complicated skill that interacts with almost every object in the game – as such there was always going to be a need to refine and evolve the skill within the live game. However, It is obvious at this early stage that there have been several areas where the skill has not functioned as we envisaged and we apologise.

Changes Today

Therefore, we have just made the following changes today to fix some of the issues that have been caused. These include:

• 1800% increase to the experience gained for disassembly and siphoning of Augmented Gear.

The experience gained by playing differed significantly from that which was intended in design – as such we are realigning the experience to be in line with our original vision and expectations.

• 50% reduction in the experience gained for using materials to fill gizmos.

This method has become the main experience generator for a large number of players and has clearly been more rewarding than is beneficial for the game, particularly in the case of those with substantial in-game personal wealth. There was always an expectation that players with solid banks would be well equipped to progress rapidly, but this has been more successful for those players than intended by design.

Further changes to come

We are also going to look deeper into some of the perks, with an eye to improving the usefulness of perks overall. However, this is something that will take a little time, so will not, in all probability, be an immediate change.

It was also not our intention when we released the skill that players would be able to max out the skill within 48 hours of release. This has caused some concern, obviously, and we are aware of various rumours flying around. We do take bug abuse and similar unfair advantages very seriously and investigate thoroughly any potential cases that come to our attention, using our detailed monitoring tools. Where we find that someone has broken the rules of RuneScape, we will take the appropriate action.

In the meantime, your feedback and comments are incredibly valuable to us – please keep that feedback coming and we’ll continue to look to improve Invention.

The RuneScape Team

peever142.png

Huh...interesting.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Glad they have made steps to fix it and level up + siphon is now viable training.

But what the hell happened in QA/balancing to let it get to live game in a state where it needed a 1800% xp increase, coupled with the 25% decrease to time taken to level items up yesterday to make it viable!?!

I mean sure balancing being off and things being shifted by some percents is expected, but one thousand eight hundred percent? Holy cow.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

You'd think this is something they'd fine during play testing. Mistakes were made... Like the fact this skill feels like it was played tested all of 20 seconds.

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

tfw i decided to spend all evening disassembling for strong components, and then this hotfix drops right onto my lap.

dsaddmamufsknYNUAFNFUYKNIBUKdofbULFGLIUFUdyfnufiuDC8UFlibrFKUBDKUr8lNR8LbrflfubfLING

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Does anyone have an idea on what the hourly upkeep on an augmented t90 weapon costs, by any chance? Since you can't, for now, unaugment them...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

1.5 charge per tick, so 9000 charges per hour for a t90 weapon. Costs 3 divine charges, which is a bit over 110k if made using incandescent energy.

E: Does anyone know how much XP you get if you disassemble an augmented item compared to using an equipment siphon on it? Is it double xp for disassembling the whole thing compared to just using a siphon?

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Sidenote - the exp you get from killing stuff is APPROXIMATELY

Level of stuff - 70

On an unrelated note, can anyone thing of level 100+ aggro monsters ? (Preferably weak to melee)

- Dark Beast

- Muspah/Nihil if you have a death wish

- Some GWD stuff if you have a death wish I guess

1.5 charge per tick, so 9000 charges per hour for a t90 weapon. Costs 3 divine charges, which is a bit over 110k if made using incandescent energy.

E: Does anyone know how much XP you get if you disassemble an augmented item compared to using an equipment siphon on it? Is it double xp for disassembling the whole thing compared to just using a siphon?

Sorry for the late answer, by the looks of it, they give the same exp. (both give 540k at level 10)*. The bonus for disassemble is that you dont waste time gathering mats for the siphoning thingamabob

*Some fella told me how much he got from siphoning, take it with a grain of salt

So augment a t90 and I can use it for ~110k/hr indefinitely (assuming energy prices stay even)?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.