Getting in touch with Jagex CS

stonewall337

Hey guys, as some of you know my main account got banned for allegedly botting in 2014. The biggest issue is that I wasn't botting, nor have I ever botted. There are two things which I believe could have triggered a false positive, but unfortunately Jagex simply form-letter declined the appeal after 6+ months.

The first which I thought was the original problem was simply clicking to stay logged in. A simple right click is all that is needed to stay logged in when fishing at rocktails. With porters, urns, and lobsters a trip of ~4'ish hours can be setup easily where all you need to do is click every ~4.5 minutes when a pool of rocktails is up, and move to a new pool when one dies.

So since this was during the 2 weeks after WoW had the newest expansion, I was playing WoW on my main monitor, and just right-clicking to keep from logging out. That is one thing which I think could have triggered a false positive.

The other, something I just recently learned, is that VPNs can cause issues. I know at one point in the past I used Hola unblocker to watch Archer on the UK Netflix before it was available in the US, but since this was 1.5 years ago I don't know if I was using it at the time. I have a skype conversation from around this period telling a friend about it (so that Pandora would work in Canada) but again, I don't recall exactly what time. Still, its possible that a VPN caused an issue.

In any system, a false positive is bound to occur. As such, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get a Jmod's attention directly. It'd be nice to get my old account back, especially since I'd not done what I was banned for (nor anything ban-worthy honestly, prior to that I had never had an offense against my account). 

I'll forestall the inevitable "Jagex's system is good and doesn't ban people who aren't botting. You must have been botting." First, I've heard it before. Obviously as there is no way to prove otherwise the only actual evidence I can provide is my word and my side of the story. After all, one can't prove a negative.

What I can say is this: No system is perfect, and false positives must be considered and accounted for in any system. As this is the case here, I'd like another consideration rather than the simple form-denial of my original appeal. Next, for what its worth I'd had a rather clean RS history. No black marks, no botting, and I have people who can vouch for honesty. (Manafi loaned me ~300m (don't remember exactly how much) to buy spider leg after I got an eye to make a staff. Sold the staff and paid him right back instead of running off with that cash).

TL;DR, is it possible, and if so how, to get the attention of a Jmod for the purposes of getting an account with a false ban on it unlocked? I know that Jagex CS is better than it has been in the past, so perhaps now someone who'd actually listen is available.

Let me know. I'm all ears at this point.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

As far as I am aware, you are pretty much out of luck. Especially if you've used a VPN consistently, as there would be no proof which IP is of the legitimate owner, and it can look like on account sharing. This is also the only thing that you've said that could indeed point towards the reason to your ban. If you still want to try and get your account back, best shot is to tweet @JagexSupport with your story and maybe (MAYBE, although rather unlikely) they will take a second look on your account.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Man wish I had known VPns could cause problems.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Just clicking to so you can afk stuff is not going to be at all related to the ban tbh.

I have spent many many many hours just wiggling the camera or clicking occasionally during my years of maxing skills and many many many people are doing exactly that right now for "fishvention"

They do have a forum thread to post on to ask for botting bans to be reviewed, though I have to say in all my time around fansites and forums I have yet to see one person who got banned for botting actually manage to get un-banned or realistically prove it was a false positive and in the majority of cases when the user is probed they eventually reveal that they "just" did this or that or only for x time.

Of course VPN could be a very real problem for you because all it takes is for 1 person to bot on that ip address and they can decided to ban all accounts that have used that ip address because under normal circumstance same ip = same user.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Just clicking to so you can afk stuff is not going to be at all related to the ban tbh.

I have spent many many many hours just wiggling the camera or clicking occasionally during my years of maxing skills and many many many people are doing exactly that right now for "fishvention"

They do have a forum thread to post on to ask for botting bans to be reviewed, though I have to say in all my time around fansites and forums I have yet to see one person who got banned for botting actually manage to get un-banned or realistically prove it was a false positive and in the majority of cases when the user is probed they eventually reveal that they "just" did this or that or only for x time.

Of course VPN could be a very real problem for you because all it takes is for 1 person to bot on that ip address and they can decided to ban all accounts that have used that ip address because under normal circumstance same ip = same user.

Yeah, before I heard about VPN being an issue (just last week) the only possible reason I could think of was rocktails. Now it seems the former is the likely cause. Which sucks because how the hell would I know that was a problem anyway.

Still, shows that Jagex's system isn't as accurate as claimed.

Personally, I'd take a poly to prove I didn't bot, since well I never botted ever in any game (even when it was IRL cash in Diablo 3) but it isn't like Jagex is going to do that lol. Ah it'd be great to have that account back.

Stonewall337.png

I fail to see how it shows Jagex system is inaccurate.

If botting offences happen in a reasonbly high number for ip X then it is perfectly reasonable and accurate to ban all accounts using ip X and block ip X from making further accounts.

It is just an unfortunate side-effect that if ip X happens to be part of a VPN network that botter(s) were using to avoid getting their real ip banned that any other person who happened to use that ip via that vpn will be caught up in the ban.

Doesn't mean Jagex's bot detection was wrong or inaccurate, they probably have perfectly good reasons for banning that ip en-mass. It is simply unfortunate that as you used the ip you also get caught up in that.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

If a system bans an account for botting which wasn't/hasn't botted, its pretty much the definition of inaccurate. There system may still be good, but like I said false positives exist.

Basically, while the system may be "good enough" for most purposes, it would be nice to have recourse for when "good enough" isn't actually "good enough".

Stonewall337.png

But it's not a false positive just because you did not bot. A false positive implies that something has triggered it that should not have - just because YOU didn't personally bot does not mean it is by any means incorrect that an ip you happened to use via VPN was in fact caught botting on numerous accounts resulting in the higher level of action of an ip-wide ban being put into place.

Yes it may suck if you did not do anything, but that is the risk of using a VPN and unfortunately there is no better solution in this world as you have to work on the assumption a specific ip relates to a specific geographic location and therefore a specific user. You can't tip-toe around and not issue ip bans if there is significant issues coming specifically from that ip address.

It's not like its a tactic just Jagex uses, it's common place in many companies that find the need to ban users and it's not even the most severe form - companies (Jagex included) will outright ban/block entire countries if they are causing a significant enough issue. There was a user on this very forum who lost many accounts purely because they lived in a country that is a hotspot for companies that pay people to farm gold as a job.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Simply put the very definition of a false positive is "An error in some evaluation process in which a condition tested for is mistakenly found to have been detected". In other words, the test for botting yielded an incorrect ban, even if the criteria for the ban was met (sharing an IP with a botter via a VPN). Regardless of whether the system is generally accurate or not, that is the literal definition of a false positive. To add to this, that's how a false positive works, once again literally everywhere. If I take a drug test and I fail it, even though I don't use drugs, that's a false positive, regardless of if it was tripped because I ate a poppy seed bagel (your definition), or for no reason at all.

Your definition encompasses part of the idea of a false positive, but it is far too narrow. If a test yields a positive for a condition being met, when that condition is not met in reality, a false positive has occurred. 

Regardless, this line of discussion isn't germane to the topic at hand anyway and so it doesn't bear continuing. The goal is to see if Jagex is willing to consider that their system, as is true for any system, is imperfect, and account for that. If so, great. If not, well at least I tried.

Stonewall337.png

That is only if the account might be Hi-jacked, which isn't the case here. On top of that it is hard to prove as VPN is used.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

Account Help

Simply put the very definition of a false positive is "An error in some evaluation process in which a condition tested for is mistakenly found to have been detected". In other words, the test for botting yielded an incorrect ban, even if the criteria for the ban was met (sharing an IP with a botter via a VPN). Regardless of whether the system is generally accurate or not, that is the literal definition of a false positive. To add to this, that's how a false positive works, once again literally everywhere. If I take a drug test and I fail it, even though I don't use drugs, that's a false positive, regardless of if it was tripped because I ate a poppy seed bagel (your definition), or for no reason at all.

Your definition encompasses part of the idea of a false positive, but it is far too narrow. If a test yields a positive for a condition being met, when that condition is not met in reality, a false positive has occurred. 

Regardless, this line of discussion isn't germane to the topic at hand anyway and so it doesn't bear continuing. The goal is to see if Jagex is willing to consider that their system, as is true for any system, is imperfect, and account for that. If so, great. If not, well at least I tried.

You are right the very definition is that an error in an evaluation process mistakenly finds the required condition to be present.

But that is not the case here, assuming the VPN thing is the right reason.

The system detected botting. This was correctly detected.

The system flagged that a specific ip was getting a lot of hits.

Jagex took the decision to ban that ip to solve the problem.

That Ip did correctly meet the conditions.

The botting system did correctly find botting on accounts using that ip.

Therefore it is not a false positive - the system detected everything perfectly correctly.

The only flaw is that the chosen outcome - banning an entire ip because of a lot of botting - inevitable hits some accounts that did not bot. But this does not mean the system itself generated a false positive because the test DID find the correct conditions, just not on your account. Your account was just collateral damage in the action taken to deal with what the system found against that ip.

You are calling it a false positive because you personally did not bot, but that is only true if the evaluation process ran against your account specifically. If the evaluation ran against a number of other accounts and did find botting on them then it was not a false positive - it is just a case that there was a significant enough number of cases against that ip that the decision was made to do a wholesale ip ban which inevitable catches a few innocent accounts in with the larger number of accounts that triggered the ip being flagged in the first place.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I took the liberty to ask Jagex Support how they deal with VPN and potential bans. According to them, they hardly issue bans based on VPN or IPs. As such, it makes it unlikely that your account is banned for either of the possibilities suggested. Are you sure that you didn't bot at all in any point?

Account Help

I took the liberty to ask Jagex Support how they deal with VPN and potential bans. According to them, they hardly issue bans based on VPN or IPs. As such, it makes it unlikely that your account is banned for either of the possibilities suggested. Are you sure that you didn't bot at all in any point?

Intriguing.

Worth throwing out there auto-talkers and tools such as auto-hotkey where you generate more than 1 outcome from 1 button press are considered forms of botting.

For hotkey, for example, if you had 1 button press move the mouse to X AND click that is a form of botting.

It has to be 1 input to 1 output ie 1 key to move the mouse 1 key to click it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Intriguing.

Worth throwing out there auto-talkers and tools such as auto-hotkey where you generate more than 1 outcome from 1 button press are considered forms of botting.

For hotkey, for example, if you had 1 button press move the mouse to X AND click that is a form of botting.

It has to be 1 input to 1 output ie 1 key to move the mouse 1 key to click it.

Even that is no guarantee. Any form of third party that interacts with the game client could trigger a ban.

Account Help

100% sure. While I had to recover my account at one point, it hadn't been used (just the bank emptied basically). Honestly, I wouldn't make a big deal about it otherwise, but the combination of frustration through not being able to even talk to anyone in CS, having the appeal take 6+ months and be auto-declined, and Jagex's frequent assertions that their system is accurate are incredibly frustrating. It's been 18 months...

I'll be honest I've used AHK in the past, about 4-5 years ago, for some barb fishing. Still, that  was years before, and just to drop fish while still abiding by the 1 input= 1 action requirement. I can think of literally nothing else to trigger it. No auto-typers, no bots, no macros, heck even AHK was used very little for fishing (disliked it, too intensive).

Its the not knowing what the issue was that's at least part of the problem. Was it just right clicking at rocks, was it my name (Playing WoW), was it something from years before like AHK (again, can't imagine it being that) or was it simply an accident?

I just don't know and its frustrating.

Stonewall337.png

100% sure. While I had to recover my account at one point, it hadn't been used (just the bank emptied basically). Honestly, I wouldn't make a big deal about it otherwise, but the combination of frustration through not being able to even talk to anyone in CS, having the appeal take 6+ months and be auto-declined, and Jagex's frequent assertions that their system is accurate are incredibly frustrating. It's been 18 months...

I'll be honest I've used AHK in the past, about 4-5 years ago, for some barb fishing. Still, that  was years before, and just to drop fish while still abiding by the 1 input= 1 action requirement. I can think of literally nothing else to trigger it. No auto-typers, no bots, no macros, heck even AHK was used very little for fishing (disliked it, too intensive).

Its the not knowing what the issue was that's at least part of the problem. Was it just right clicking at rocks, was it my name (Playing WoW), was it something from years before like AHK (again, can't imagine it being that) or was it simply an accident?

I just don't know and its frustrating.

If that would be the case, then I assume it could be a hi-jacked account. Jagex is currently looking at possible accounts that might be hi-jacked at the time of offense. Could take a while though, since this is from 2014.

Account Help

I think this is basically what happened, dates are esimates. Jan 2014, account hijacked (I didn't play anymore so IDK when I found out) but I recovered it by April of 2014. I don't think anything was done to the account except the bank emptied of things worth $$$. I don't think the account was touched at all (even if it helps my case that it was botted during that time, not going to lie and say it was.). It is possible, but I don't think so. Between ~April and ~November I played some. November 28th, 2014 got the only black mark on the account ever, which was a major macro ban.

I don't know when the "botting" took place. The only time I didn't have control of the account was that brief period in early 2014, and again I don't think anything was done with it. I've never botted. I have used AHK at barb fishing. 

If it was the later I'd be disappointed, since even using AHK to drop fish still followed the "1 input=1 action" rule. If that was bannable, than the ban was accurate. Still, it was what, 5 years before? (2009). I'd imagine they don't wait 5 years.

But I don't think it was that, nor do I think they ban for that anyway. That's why I'm trying to get in touch with CS.

Stonewall337.png

I've been using a VPN for about 8 months now, and haven't gotten banned.

That said, I also don't bot. But to answer your question no. You are SOL in getting your account unbanned, sadly.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I've been using a VPN for about 8 months now, and haven't gotten banned.

That said, I also don't bot. But to answer your question no. You are SOL in getting your account unbanned, sadly.

Yup, they said it can make an account harder to recover, but it won't impact bans.

So I really have no clue at this point WTF triggered it.

Also hi WKW cool to see familiar names still around!

Stonewall337.png

Yeah, VPNs are safe. I do all my internety business from my VPN now :)

Though, it is indeed sad you had gotten banned. I don't know of any other ways you could contact a Jmod sadly :(

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Yeah they won't change their mind, even if wrong. Their defense of "we only ban the guilty" would be made even more transparently wrong if they shifted stances now.

Ahh well, I've heard of literally 8 cases of the same thing or incredibly similar things happening recently, and while I wouldn't be surprised if at least some were guilty, the sheer number of cases I've run into over the past 18 months makes it statistically almost impossible for Jagex to be always right.

Oh well.

Stonewall337.png

Yeah they won't change their mind, even if wrong. Their defense of "we only ban the guilty" would be made even more transparently wrong if they shifted stances now.

Ahh well, I've heard of literally 8 cases of the same thing or incredibly similar things happening recently, and while I wouldn't be surprised if at least some were guilty, the sheer number of cases I've run into over the past 18 months makes it statistically almost impossible for Jagex to be always right.

Oh well.

Those sheer number of cases, were they on Reddit or RS Forums? 99% of those cases have been 'proven' guilty by a Jmod at some point. I only know a couple of cases where Jagex has been in the wrong. One of them I was involved. I got unbanned in about 4 hours after I was banned. The offence is quashed, but it is still a stain on my account. They never really officially admitted anything and only said it was banned while investigation was going on. Never got any compensation and to this day, my heart skips a beat every time I get a sudden "Please wait... attempting to re-connect" message (or something alike). This is because I was just playing at the time of the ban wave. It involved around a couple of dozens of people at the time. And this all happened to me, just because I was on the friendlist of a suspected player...

Account Help

Oh well.

Those sheer number of cases, were they on Reddit or RS Forums? 99% of those cases have been 'proven' guilty by a Jmod at some point. I only know a couple of cases where Jagex has been in the wrong. One of them I was involved. I got unbanned in about 4 hours after I was banned. The offence is quashed, but it is still a stain on my account. They never really officially admitted anything and only said it was banned while investigation was going on. Never got any compensation and to this day, my heart skips a beat every time I get a sudden "Please wait... attempting to re-connect" message (or something alike). This is because I was just playing at the time of the ban wave. It involved around a couple of dozens of people at the time. And this all happened to me, just because I was on the friendlist of a suspected player...

Well one case was a clanmate multiboxing fishing rocks, which he was streaming doing. He had like 8 or 10 going at a time. Had 6 banned for a day when it got posted on reddit. Think they are all unbanned now. Had another who was nolifing invention @ abyss. Same thing, just clicking to stay logged in.

I'm sure many cases are people lying, but not all are, and it sucks that Jagex has consistently poor customer service.

Still, such is life.

Stonewall337.png

Ah, but if you are artificially trying to stay logged in, then you are in a way botting. If that is the case, the bans are justified.

Account Help

Ah, but if you are artificially trying to stay logged in, then you are in a way botting. If that is the case, the bans are justified.

Have you ever fished rocktails? The pools last a random amount of time, from 5-15 minutes (I think). Once you're fishing, until the pool moves or your inventory is full, all you need to do is stay logged in. To do that, all you need to do is click. So you watch netflix, read a book, browse the forums, or play another game and just click over every 4 minutes to stay logged in. That's no different than afk training any other skill. As long as you're there and doing it yourself, there is no problem.

Now, if you misunderstood what I meant and thought it was a bot clicking to stay logged in or the like, no that isn't what I meant. I'm talking about doing something else and just typing, moving the camera, or clicking to stay logged in. 

Regardless, we can all agree that Jagex has shit customer service.

Stonewall337.png