RS Mobile

The Observer

Absolutely. I was in the first Android alpha test for OSRS and it's definitely come a long way from it's beginning. A lot of things are being made mobile friendly, and as long as they're careful with how much they allow mobile to affect the desktop version, it has a lot of potential to keep peoples interest. RS3 mobile is looking great as well, however it still has a lot of the game to be fleshed out to be mobile friendly, especially when it comes to UI.

There are some drawbacks. Although you can literally do everything on the mobile, some things (like quests) are actually quite fiddly to do. Posture is an issue; playing hunched over a tiny screen is actually pretty uncomfortable after twenty minutes. Also, although the legality of this issue has always been murky, you can't use the third-party clients which have made the UI so much more user-friendly.

It does have some utility though: half-AFK fishing while watching Netflix on television? A little bit of woodcutting while you're waiting for that pasta to boil? On public transport and need a boredom killer? It's here that the mobile version really excels, even if it doesn't fully replace the need to play OSRS on a desktop.

• Like 1

There are some drawbacks. Although you can literally do everything on the mobile, some things (like quests) are actually quite fiddly to do. Posture is an issue; playing hunched over a tiny screen is actually pretty uncomfortable after twenty minutes. Also, although the legality of this issue has always been murky, you can't use the third-party clients which have made the UI so much more user-friendly.

It does have some utility though: half-AFK fishing while watching Netflix on television? A little bit of woodcutting while you're waiting for that pasta to boil? On public transport and need a boredom killer? It's here that the mobile version really excels, even if it doesn't fully replace the need to play OSRS on a desktop.

I think you're right that RS Mobile on phones won't replace desktop completely, and third-party UIs being unavailable will mean it isn't appealing to a lot of players.

I would have to try it on a tablet to chime with my opinion for or against mobile as a desktop replacement.

I can't wait to PK on my phone while I'm pooping.

• Like 1

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

OSRS mobile seems to have viability and is extremely successful at the moment. RS3 hasn't been released, but I have doubts whether it could be successful. I actually hope that it isn't, because RS3 doesn't deserve to be successful anymore, even though I play it.

• 4 weeks later...