Arrest of 13-Year-Old for Writing on Desk Should Be Wake-up

jokemaster

NEW YORK - The New York Civil Liberties Union today condemned the treatment of a 13-year-old girl who was arrested after she wrote the word "okay" on her school desk. The NYCLU said the incident sheds light on the fatal flaws in New York City's use of law enforcement to impose discipline in classrooms.

ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅNo child should be arrested for writing on her desk,ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

00000000000000000000000ub8.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wtf... I learnt something by scrubbing the desk.. Only write in blue pen because red wouldn't come off properly.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

Aw, but they mean well! [/sarcasm]

For real, though, the mom nailed it. Maybe the NYPD was feeling incompetent and wanted to arrest somebody. And what kind of school system do they have that has to turn over it's discipline to the fuzz?

p2gq.jpg

And i thought my schools discipline was stupid and exaggurated.

I once flicked my friend on the head, and the teachers blew it way out of proportion and everything.

The teachers were saying i punched him in the face, and they didnt let me eat my lunch.

megakillersigbyhawkxsrh0.png

Quit Runescape 30th May 2006.

Thanks to Hawkxs for my signature :)

*Looks overe shoulder* You'll never catch me alive coppers!!! Muhahahahaha!!! :lol:

Seriously though, I used to do that all the time. You should have seen the back of my desk in English class. Def. shouldn't have been arrested, but detention....maybe.

sig2-1.png

Last.Fm

My Bloggy

Proud to have served on Tip.it Crew

Guaranteed 100% that we are not hearing the whole story. It's bound to be a sensationalist article when the ACLU is involved.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Guaranteed 100% that we are not hearing the whole story. It's bound to be a sensationalist article when the ACLU is involved.

I have to agree. We're talking about a school in New York City. There has to be so many other, worse, things going on in a school like that. If the police are called for something as small as writing on the desk, I doubt there would ever be a time when the police aren't there.

Pixeloaded.jpg

Worse things have happened in other schools, teens taking and dealing with drugs, demonstrations against teachers, and they get you to jail for writing on a desk? :-X

Maybe the people above are right, and they're just hiding the important part of the story.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

She deserved it! all the times i have been doing my schoolwork to only be distracted by some other person who was distracted enough to draw on the table. lock her away and throw away the key i say! :roll:

kirby-sig.gif

Once I had some crystal lite in class, and I screwed up getting it into a bottle of water (for I am a clumsy man), and it got all over the desk.

Instead of letting myself get arrested, I cleaned it up.

I'm a NY hero.

thesip2.jpg

It really has