Tip.It Times Presents: Biased Banning Raises Brows

oddfaery2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this was very interesting to read. I recieved a temporary ban a couple months ago for allegedly trying to scam someone. I have no clue what they are refering to, and i now have two black marks when i dont even know what the first one was supposed to be. oh well, ill jsut have to keep my nose clean for a while.

P.S. It is hilarious to try to read this or any other times article trough gizoogle. (hope its not illegal to say that, very sorry if it is)

The banning of people with inappropriate names is a joke.

I find the most ironic example of their blindsided bias is a certain runecrafter that is among the top 21. Take a look, its almost like this player was determined to be among the top 21 to advertise his/her name.

I say they should at least give the person with an ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅinappropriateÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

Jagex needs to straighten up.. or they're losing my 5 bucks a month. :x

I'm afraid that is exactly what they are trying to do. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but Jagex may be unbiased banning to get a lot of people to quit. May it is to scare off the noobs, I don't know. But the population explosion in RS has gotten uncontrollable, and this may just be Jagex's plan to curb the problem.

I'm afraid that is exactly what they are trying to do. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but Jagex may be unbiased banning to get a lot of people to quit. May it is to scare off the noobs, I don't know. But the population explosion in RS has gotten uncontrollable, and this may just be Jagex's plan to curb the problem.

that thought crossed my mind

well recently, i was at seers world 2 when a lvl 3 came up to me and offered me 200k of flax for free, now i have never made much money in runescape and this to me was like a lottery win(lol), so i insisted after he traded the flax to me that i gave him some items in return, i gave him full rune 2 dds a dlong, so then i proceeded to sell the flax and i made 20 mill from it, then 2 days later i got banned for macroing, the reason being i had recieved goods that were obtained threw macroing and the ban was permanent, so i appealed the ban explaining to jagex what had happened, then they totally and unjust justly sent me back a reply with the reply i had broken a multilogin rule and was permamnetly banned, so i replyed again tellin them that this was impossible as the guy who gave me the flax i had never met, i didnt even know him and how in the hell could he be using the same ip as me, so i asked them for some sort of proof that this actually happened, this multi log, then again then sent back a rule 7 macroing reply and now all i get is auto typed messages again and again, i feel pretty betrayed by jagex threw what they have done as i was a lvl 95 combat with 1400 overall lvl and the fact they wont even give me the time of day to actually manually type a reply sickens me, ive beed a legit member for 18 months now and as far as i know i done have a single black mark against my name and then jagex throw this **** at me, i feel that the person who gave me the flax knew what he was doing and purposelly looked for a high lvl to trade to knowing jagex would ban me, so my advise is never accept something thats too good to be true because in a ll rights it proabbly is, all a cheater has to do is macro some items find a lvl 100+ trade to him and then that is the end of your account with no comebacks , my final thought

Jagex suck

It was a very well written article, thank you for whoever took the time to write it. We can keep our hopes up, but I truly don't believe that Jagex will take any action whatsoever because of it.

Several things have changed since the start of RuneScape, one of which being Jagex's attitude. They originally said that they 'never knew it would get this big'...and I don't believe that they have kept up with it's growth. Having said that, alot of us remember when Paul and Andrew used to actually join in on Rs (rembmer the elusive black phat?). The would log on, talk to people and actually get peoples opinions. Now they simply hide behind a screen.

Is this because they are working harder? Possibly, but I think it's more along the lines of them not being able to control the monster they have created. It would have made more sense to limit the number of accounts that could be made until they could properly channel customer support and player actions, yet instead they have chosen greed. Instead of bettering themselves and having a members cap, they've chosen to struggle to keep up and get as many p2p accounts as they possibly can to fatten their pockets. A very poor movement on their behalf.

While you may feel they have their 'favorites' or their lil friends, I feel it's more of a matter of who is known to them and who isn't. More and more people who were actually from the time when Jagex could name their players are disappearing, one by one, for various reasons. Several older players have actually told me that at the rate Jagex is going they don't feel they'll be around much longer either.

Why would this happen you ask? It's simply because they cannot keep up with who plays and who doesn't. And from the look of things, they don't even try to. There are many many things that Jagex customer support used to be able to do for people (telling you the exact time you've spent on the game was one of these). If they cannot expand their customer service to fit the needs of the players they have on their game, then what business do they have controlling the online gaming of these players? I say customer service, not as simply the people they hire to answer questions..but also the people that have been their from the beginning.

Jagex may not have known the game would get this big...but they certainly have lost my respect with the way they've handled it.

First of all, well done to tip it who bring this to our attention. It is indeed a very serious problem that will affect most of us.

I started playing RS about 6 months ago, after quitting another popular online game (with probably 10 times more active players than RS which I did not want to mention the name). The reason is because the administrators have become so paranoid that they ban players indiscriminately and never listen to what players have to say.

When I play a game, I want to enjoy playing it, not playing the game with fear and having to think "Am I breaking any rules?" every time I chat to a friend etc.

I disagree with what people said earlier about Jagex is banning players because they want less players. This does not make commercial sense (it is afterall, a business and a way to earn their livings for people working in the company). My guess is that they were reluctant to ban rules breakers in the past because they need to get the number of members up to a critical mass and they have probably achieved that.

The more players there are, the more revenue they will receive from Advertisings and Memberships, which they can use to upgrade their system. I am not sure how many registered members are there, say if there are 2 million, each spend an average of 2 hours daily on the game, that is 120 million hours online. The advertisers love that when they see the numbers.

Just like in real life, it is easy to keep the crime in a small village under control but very difficult for a big city.

Jagex has gone from one extreme to another. I fully support punishing rules breakers but some rules are more serious than others. If somebody use programs or try to scam other fellow players, I say ban them.

However if somebody swears, they should get a warning or temporary ban. Mentioning another RS support site is just a joke. The existence of those sites actually promote RS, RS should be thanking them in my opinion.

The key thing is I hope RS will listen to their members. I understand it can be hard if they receive thousands of ban appeals everyday. However, if there is any doubt that the member could be telling the truth, then the account should be restored. I would rather have a bad player among us than to ban an honest player who have spent months on their account.

The last thing about sharing computer... when I visit my parents, I share the same IP as my brother (though different computer). I recently introduced my brother to RS and gave him some items to start with. I am not staying at home, there are conversations between us that prove that we are not the same person. I am wondering if I write to RS informing them we will be using the same IP's and keep a copy of the reply in case of any bans. The problem is RS doesn't write to members normally...

Dear whomever, I STRONGLY AGREE WITH YOU!

For advertising my legal Clan's forum, I got banned for a day. I also got a blakc mark on my name for the forum, and when I asked them why, they failed to reply.

As you said: End the hypocrisy Jagex.

one reason that they may not be banning people who have been playing for a long time is that when they created there name it wasent againt the rules. but since that time the rules have changed. it is like in the U.S. you cant be carged for a crime if at the time you commited it, it was legal but today it is illegal. if I was banned for somthing i did wrong when i played RSC, and was allowed then, i would be angry. you have to look at it from the point of view of the people who have been playing for that long

On behalf of the entire Tip.it staff, allow me to offer our apologies to Jagex. Andrew raises some very valid points here. ~Newptor

Don't believe everything you read.

This articles appears to be EXTREMELY innaccurate/biased.

It talks about countless cases of unjust banning, but only seems to give 2 actual examples, both of which were actually just human error, and both of which were corrected and unbanned long before the article was published.

When dealing with thousands of cases a very occasional mistake is inevitable, That's the whole reason we have a ban appeal system, so we can correct it. Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

It is NOT our policy to ban players unfairly as this article seems to claim.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for mentioning a fansite in passing. Our policy is that action should only be taken if despite repeated warnings, they continue to blatantly advertise.

Our policy is NOT to wait for players to gain experience before banning them for a dodgy name. We've actually programmed systems and employed resources specifically to pick bad names up early on. Our policy is unless a name is outrageously offense then unless we spot early on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

All of our customer service team is focussed on educating players, and giving players a 2nd chance, and only banning as an absolute last resort when there is no alternative, or when the offense is extreme (such as password scamming)

Posting untruths about our policies does not make us happy. We are considering legal action against the author of this article on the basis of libel. It would be within the author of this articles interest to remove it and contact us immediately.

While Jagex feels it may not be their policy to ban people for trading with members of their family and you say that when mistakes are pointed out, they are corrected. That simply isn't true. When the mistake of our family was made, Jagex staff sent back a reply accusing us of other things that had nothing to do with it and completely changed the subject.

At the risk of arguing, I'll leave it at that.

It talks about countless cases of unjust banning, but only seems to give 2 actual examples, both of which were actually just human error, and both of which were corrected and unbanned long before the article was published.

When dealing with thousands of cases a very occasional mistake is inevitable, That's the whole reason we have a ban appeal system, so we can correct it. Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

Our policy is NOT to ban players for mentioning a fansite in passing. Our policy is that action should only be taken if despite repeated warnings, they continue to blatantly advertise.

Our policy is NOT to wait for players to gain experience before banning them for a dodgy name. We've actually programmed systems and employed resources specifically to pick bad names up early on. Our policy is unless a name is outrageously offense then unless we spot early on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

All of our customer service team is focussed on educating players, and giving players a 2nd chance, and only banning as an absolute last resort when there is no alternative, or when the offense is extreme (such as password scamming)

Posting untruths about our policies does not make us happy. We are considering legal action against the author of this article on the basis of libel. It would be within the author of this articles interest to remove it and contact us immediately.

Nice to see you around Andrew, also nice to hear you reiterate the points that I believed all along, I am disgusted at this article and the way it was allowed to be published as a one sided arguement without any facts, especially on a popular fansite such as tip.it.

You should take legal action, if it was a newspaper you would, isn't this article all about jagex being biased? Time to show your unbiased atitude by treating this player the same as any other person that published this.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

I think this sums up my sentiment on the article as well.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

True.

Cower in fear.

Urza. The One. The Legend.

96703366.thumb3.jpeg

Read the whole thing customer suort pisses me off :( :( :(

Hi Jedpea,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Customer Support.

At Jagex we always aim to respond to every message we receive from our players individually and as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, due to the massive growth in popularity of Runescape and the increasing number of queries that brings, we are not able to offer you a personal response this time.

We are now answering more queries than ever before and we are constantly increasing the size of our customer support unit.

We are also massively improving our system in order to answer much quicker than before.

The new system will be up to speed very soon, and this will allow us to offer a personal response to ALL your queries.

Furthermore, RuneScape.com has a wealth of information available to players whether it be Technical, Billing or Game related and more often than not you will find the answer here. Using the FAQ section, for instance, will probably help you to find the answer to your problem.

If, after looking at the website, you are still unable to locate the required answer then please resubmit your query and we will do our utmost to answer it as quickly as possible.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for not being able to offer a personal response at this time and, once again, I would like to ensure you we will do our best to make sure this will not happen again.

I would in addition like to thank you for your continued support in RuneScape and wish you the best of luck within the game.

Sincerely,

RuneScape Customer Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 1st March 2006 you sent us the following:

right i have recently got a black mark on ,my forums acount so iasked what it was for here and u sent me aload of stuff about who u r "sorry" that u could not give me a personal reply. well ok but it has happend again another black mark but what for what have i done i am really angry and i will be xstremly angry if u give me another non personal reply tvm jedpea

jagex customer support sux even for member cuz i have a charactor that is member. i wrote them a letter under my member account and they wrote me back. it was totally off subject or not what i was talking about. i'm upset about it.

True.

Cower in fear.

Cower in fear, Gower is near.

I agree with what Andrew said. Why would Jagex ban wrongful on purpose? They try their best to ban correctly and un-ban any wrong bannings.

kolsig20kl.png

I've stopped playing RuneScape. KoL's better.

i totally agree, it it just like anything else, with a large group of people there will alaways be abnormalties. this prolbem it like taking a drug of the market becuase one or two people experinced a bad side effect. if there was a list of 10000 people that were effected then i could suspect there to be something wrong. personally i know that jagex makes mistakes, i have been muted 3 or 4 times becuase i can type fast, they thought that i had an auto typer. but even at the 4th time i was just muted, not the extream of being banned.