Tip.It Times Presents: Biased Banning Raises Brows

oddfaery2

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Did andrew really just threaten to sue tip it? :shock:

No, they threatened to take legal action against the articles writer.

Yeah, but you guys are hosting it - im not a lawyer but whenever I heard of a libel case before its always a newspaper (publisher) that gets sued, not the journlalist who wrote the piece... but im not a lawyer, I dunno

usually it is both, but the newspaper is more important, becuae they have the big name. but i think andrew is just trying to get them to remove that article, because he think it is bad press for the game and he dosent want to loose any money. as alaways, it comes down to money

Yeah, but you guys are hosting it - im not a lawyer but whenever I heard of a libel case before its always a newspaper (publisher) that gets sued, not the journlalist who wrote the piece... but im not a lawyer, I dunno

Ok, hey it just looked to me like he was aiming at the author. I don't claim to know anything about this situation. For all I know he meant the whole site. I'm just a measly mapper. :)

sig_trippy2.jpg

Why should we buy postage stamps when we can make our own?

aperson being

Legal action would be kind of ridiculous over something like this. It would definitely be an overreaction.

summerpngwy6.jpg

Our policy is NOT to wait for players to gain experience before banning them for a dodgy name. We've actually programmed systems and employed resources specifically to pick bad names up early on. Our policy is unless a name is outrageously offense then unless we spot early on to give the benefit of the doubt.

I find this username outrageously offense but he hasn't been banned.

DrugAbuser1.png

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

:?: I don't even understand that comment.

mcguff1.png

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

:?: I don't even understand that comment.

I think he means this:

My brother and I both play from our own accounts in our house. Is it all right if we trade items?

Yes, this is not going against the rules of conduct providing you are both playing from two separate accounts created by each of you.

saidinwotsmall2zo.jpg

Add your blog to the BlogScape Index!

SaidinWoT can now be tracked easily on weekends - Erm, maybe when I start playing again.

Levels do not measure intelligence OR maturity.

This is ridiculous, Andrew considering taking legal action?!?

In my opinion he's just mad that someone was smart enough to catch on to what Jagex has been doing for years.

Unfairly banning and such, I've known about it for years and so has everyone else, it's about time that someone was smart enough to say something about it, if not then they would keep getting away with this.

The question is: What is Tip.it going to do?

Is Tip.it going to let Jagex bully them to removing the article and possibly shut down the sites like they have done with other sites?

Or..

Is Tip.it going to stand up against Jagex and do the right thing, try to enforce fairness and equality amongst all players?

It's a real tough decision, if they stand up and Jagex takes legal action they could shut down..

On the other hand if they stand up to Jagex, jagex could finally start to treat players fairly...

It's a tough decision, what are you going to do Tip.it?

Legal action would be kind of ridiculous over something like this. It would definitely be an overreaction.

Funny. Really is.

Jagex threatens Tip.It/"The Editor" with legal action, and it's brushed off, but in your own FAQ it says you will do "everything in our power to get your site closed down" for reproducing content AND citing the source. Yet, Tip.it publishes an acticle, bashing jagex to hell and back (without a hint of proof either), and expects to get away with it.

I think Jagex has a decent point when an article blatantly filled with LIES is posted on the front page of a large fan site. Gower has every right to be ticked off at tip.it for it too.

I find this username outrageously offense but he hasn't been banned.
Refering to "DrugAbuser1"

That's funny too. :lol: If you're seriously *that* offended by a name with "drug" and "abuser" in the same place, you should go deal with all the dealers out on the street instead of spending time whining about it on the forums. :)

Good points or not, things he said contrict the truth. I mean, Limparse wasn't found early, nor was his name very offensive. So sure, a mistake has been made. Good thing there's ban appeal...

Except that his appeal was rejected. And I have serious doubts that anything would've been done about it if he hadn't taken it to these boards.

As for things like this being Jagex' policy, of course not. But it DOES happen, and it shouldn't.

Seriously, WoW players I know laugh their [wagon] off when I tell them what kind of things veteran RuneScapers get banned for. Take a hint :roll:

Yep, JaGeX is VERY overreacting. Do we die if we hear the word "poo" or "drool"? I understand "cexychick5435"'s, but JaGeX bans people who have been playing for 3 years because the word "poo" in their names? DOH!

6,521th to 99 woodcutting | Fletching 98/99 |

Idarodo | Combat 90 | Total 1565+ | 38m+ total exp

Retired.

We should fire everyone who works for jagex and rehire the tipit crew in their place! :D

Yes, all of tip.it knows java like the back of their hand?

People who work for Jagex are usually Java pros!

I know, I was just being silly :wink:

thenewsiglw3.png

Welcome to the Tip.It Times. This feature is an article that will address interesting and original issues, controversial topics and points of heated debate amongst the RuneScape community. To keep things fresh and exciting, we will also publish original RuneScape-related fiction in this space once in a while. A new article will be released on an approximate weekly basis, and a short extract of the latest article will usually be shown on the home page along with its title, date and authors name.

The views expressed in these articles by The Editor or any author do not necessarily represent those of Tip.It or our staff.

Which is exactly what it did... I can see Andrews point, but according to these topics, the goal of the Article and the Times for that matter has been 100% reached:

simpsons vs limparse

Concerning DroolMAN...

Jagex's Reasoning

That's just a few threads debating this issue, not listing the relative Times topic on general where andrew posted... Sorry guys, but i fully support this article...

Short version; Tip.It Times is meant to bring up the issues which have been debated amoung the people in our community, and that was what it did... I can list at least 10 topics more (given access to the deleted board would also help) which are aimed at the same thing as this article...

^ I have posted that in the staff lounge as well, it is MY point of view, not the staff's point of view... Please take a note of that...

Furthermore, something i forgot to mention in my post there is that the Jagex query and appeal system have been longly debated, which is another reason for it to be taken up in the Article... I don't know if Andrew is following this thread or not, but i cannot see why we're not allowed to publish this article, when it's stated on the page that the view of the relative articles are not nessecerity the same as Tip.It, it's simply a writing which summarises a heated and debated topic amoung the community...

Taking legal action over something like this would be rediculously nuts. As far as the article being very onesided,well...... I liked it and i think it has some good points. Jagex does have tons and tons of ban appeals/password recovery/reports to file through every day though so something is bound to go wrong like Andrew pointed out. But taking action against tipit would certanly solidify the argument of jagex going power crazy.

thenewsiglw3.png

sorry for the double post...

I would just like to say thank to Andrew for coming out and somewhat adding to the debate, I personally have for almost 2ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâý years trying to get a personal message back from anyone at Jagex without any luck what so ever... I really welcome this chance to see Andrew (or anyone else in the Jagex corp.) do some PR and giving us a chance to express and ask what we need to do outside the strict rules of the Official Forums :D

Thank you Andrew, i really hope that you will keep doing this, the official Jagex oppinion is ALWAYS welcome, it's just very hard to get it normally...

First, hypocrisy is misused in the last sentence... jagex isn't breaking rules and banning others who break the same rules, they're just focusing on certain rules.

Second... NONSENSE!

Jagex DOES NOT permanently ban people for advertising websites UNLESS they have been reported for other things. I should know; I was banned for a week for advertising a website. I was only banned because I had also had 3 previous black marks on my account. This is not overreaction; this is sticking to the rules.

Third... "Advertising a website" is not just saying the URL, as the article implies. I can say,"Go to miniclip" and it is still advertising a website! Thus, saying things like "go tipit" are against the rules! You broke the rules, DEAL WITH IT!

Fourth... JAGEX is biased!? Look at you! You're the ones complaining that those of YOUR website are getting banned! I was banned for advertising a completely different website, so don't complain as if it is only you who are getting banned! They're cracking down on a commonly abused rule, not focusing on people only from this website! Just because they've started enforcing a rule many are lax about obey doesn't mean they're out to get you.

You broke the rules, so quite complaining that you've been punished, as is just.