Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times Presents: Biased Banning Raises Brows

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
196 replies to this topic

duelist91
[ Display Name History ]

duelist91

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
Dear whomever, I STRONGLY AGREE WITH YOU!

For advertising my legal Clan's forum, I got banned for a day. I also got a blakc mark on my name for the forum, and when I asked them why, they failed to reply.

As you said: End the hypocrisy Jagex.

caryw123
[ Display Name History ]

caryw123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
one reason that they may not be banning people who have been playing for a long time is that when they created there name it wasent againt the rules. but since that time the rules have changed. it is like in the U.S. you cant be carged for a crime if at the time you commited it, it was legal but today it is illegal. if I was banned for somthing i did wrong when i played RSC, and was allowed then, i would be angry. you have to look at it from the point of view of the people who have been playing for that long

Andrew
[ Display Name History ]

Andrew

Runescape Creator

• Jagex Staff
  • 15 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Andrew
  • RSN2:Ignite
On behalf of the entire Tip.it staff, allow me to offer our apologies to Jagex. Andrew raises some very valid points here. ~Newptor

Don't believe everything you read.

This articles appears to be EXTREMELY innaccurate/biased.

It talks about countless cases of unjust banning, but only seems to give 2 actual examples, both of which were actually just human error, and both of which were corrected and unbanned long before the article was published.

When dealing with thousands of cases a very occasional mistake is inevitable, That's the whole reason we have a ban appeal system, so we can correct it. Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

It is NOT our policy to ban players unfairly as this article seems to claim.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for mentioning a fansite in passing. Our policy is that action should only be taken if despite repeated warnings, they continue to blatantly advertise.

Our policy is NOT to wait for players to gain experience before banning them for a dodgy name. We've actually programmed systems and employed resources specifically to pick bad names up early on. Our policy is unless a name is outrageously offense then unless we spot early on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

All of our customer service team is focussed on educating players, and giving players a 2nd chance, and only banning as an absolute last resort when there is no alternative, or when the offense is extreme (such as password scamming)

Posting untruths about our policies does not make us happy. We are considering legal action against the author of this article on the basis of libel. It would be within the author of this articles interest to remove it and contact us immediately.

ScarletEve
[ Display Name History ]

ScarletEve

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 446 posts
While Jagex feels it may not be their policy to ban people for trading with members of their family and you say that when mistakes are pointed out, they are corrected. That simply isn't true. When the mistake of our family was made, Jagex staff sent back a reply accusing us of other things that had nothing to do with it and completely changed the subject.

At the risk of arguing, I'll leave it at that.

frizoid
[ Display Name History ]

frizoid

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 487 posts

It talks about countless cases of unjust banning, but only seems to give 2 actual examples, both of which were actually just human error, and both of which were corrected and unbanned long before the article was published.

When dealing with thousands of cases a very occasional mistake is inevitable, That's the whole reason we have a ban appeal system, so we can correct it. Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

Our policy is NOT to ban players for mentioning a fansite in passing. Our policy is that action should only be taken if despite repeated warnings, they continue to blatantly advertise.

Our policy is NOT to wait for players to gain experience before banning them for a dodgy name. We've actually programmed systems and employed resources specifically to pick bad names up early on. Our policy is unless a name is outrageously offense then unless we spot early on to give the benefit of the doubt.

Our policy is NOT to ban players for trading with family members, if even says this on the rules section of our websites.

All of our customer service team is focussed on educating players, and giving players a 2nd chance, and only banning as an absolute last resort when there is no alternative, or when the offense is extreme (such as password scamming)

Posting untruths about our policies does not make us happy. We are considering legal action against the author of this article on the basis of libel. It would be within the author of this articles interest to remove it and contact us immediately.

Nice to see you around Andrew, also nice to hear you reiterate the points that I believed all along, I am disgusted at this article and the way it was allowed to be published as a one sided arguement without any facts, especially on a popular fansite such as tip.it.

You should take legal action, if it was a newspaper you would, isn't this article all about jagex being biased? Time to show your unbiased atitude by treating this player the same as any other person that published this.
Posted Image

Lime_Mercury
[ Display Name History ]

Lime_Mercury

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,394 posts

Pointing at a MISTAKE and claiming it's our policy to behave that way just isn't true!

I think this sums up my sentiment on the article as well.

urza1488
[ Display Name History ]

urza1488

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,587 posts

True.

Cower in fear.
Urza. The One. The Legend.
Posted Image

jedpea
[ Display Name History ]

jedpea

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 58 posts
Read the whole thing customer suort pisses me off :( :( :(

Hi Jedpea,

Thank you for taking the time to contact Customer Support.

At Jagex we always aim to respond to every message we receive from our players individually and as quickly as possible.

Unfortunately, due to the massive growth in popularity of Runescape and the increasing number of queries that brings, we are not able to offer you a personal response this time.

We are now answering more queries than ever before and we are constantly increasing the size of our customer support unit.

We are also massively improving our system in order to answer much quicker than before.

The new system will be up to speed very soon, and this will allow us to offer a personal response to ALL your queries.

Furthermore, RuneScape.com has a wealth of information available to players whether it be Technical, Billing or Game related and more often than not you will find the answer here. Using the FAQ section, for instance, will probably help you to find the answer to your problem.

If, after looking at the website, you are still unable to locate the required answer then please resubmit your query and we will do our utmost to answer it as quickly as possible.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for not being able to offer a personal response at this time and, once again, I would like to ensure you we will do our best to make sure this will not happen again.

I would in addition like to thank you for your continued support in RuneScape and wish you the best of luck within the game.

Sincerely,

RuneScape Customer Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 1st March 2006 you sent us the following:

right i have recently got a black mark on ,my forums acount so iasked what it was for here and u sent me aload of stuff about who u r "sorry" that u could not give me a personal reply. well ok but it has happend again another black mark but what for what have i done i am really angry and i will be xstremly angry if u give me another non personal reply tvm jedpea

magicnite
[ Display Name History ]

magicnite

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 265 posts
jagex customer support sux even for member cuz i have a charactor that is member. i wrote them a letter under my member account and they wrote me back. it was totally off subject or not what i was talking about. i'm upset about it.

jedpea
[ Display Name History ]

jedpea

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 58 posts
:( :( :(

Rapidspeed28
[ Display Name History ]

Rapidspeed28

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
:D Very nice article. I havent played runescape in a while, but my network is the same so uhhhh... if my bro and i trade i might trade i might get banned? i never knew that
[img]http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4831/bannerbancocopiadj3.jpg[URL=http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=351049][img][img][img]http://www.rsbandb.com/sig/sigs/g/greenbug28.png[/img]

Spongehead91
[ Display Name History ]

Spongehead91

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,181 posts

True.

Cower in fear.

Cower in fear, Gower is near.

I agree with what Andrew said. Why would Jagex ban wrongful on purpose? They try their best to ban correctly and un-ban any wrong bannings.
Posted Image
I've stopped playing RuneScape. KoL's better.

caryw123
[ Display Name History ]

caryw123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
i totally agree, it it just like anything else, with a large group of people there will alaways be abnormalties. this prolbem it like taking a drug of the market becuase one or two people experinced a bad side effect. if there was a list of 10000 people that were effected then i could suspect there to be something wrong. personally i know that jagex makes mistakes, i have been muted 3 or 4 times becuase i can type fast, they thought that i had an auto typer. but even at the 4th time i was just muted, not the extream of being banned.

Nyarlathotep
[ Display Name History ]

Nyarlathotep

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 143 posts
...Did andrew really just threaten to sue tip it? :shock:

APERSON
[ Display Name History ]

APERSON

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 716 posts

No, they threatened to take legal action against the articles writer.
Posted Image

Why should we buy postage stamps when we can make our own?

aperson being

caryw123
[ Display Name History ]

caryw123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
yes he did and he is justifyed in doing so.

caryw123
[ Display Name History ]

caryw123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
he can take action againt the writes and the place that published that work

Nyarlathotep
[ Display Name History ]

Nyarlathotep

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 143 posts

Yeah, but you guys are hosting it - im not a lawyer but whenever I heard of a libel case before its always a newspaper (publisher) that gets sued, not the journlalist who wrote the piece... but im not a lawyer, I dunno

caryw123
[ Display Name History ]

caryw123

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 6 posts
usually it is both, but the newspaper is more important, becuae they have the big name. but i think andrew is just trying to get them to remove that article, because he think it is bad press for the game and he dosent want to loose any money. as alaways, it comes down to money

APERSON
[ Display Name History ]

APERSON

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 716 posts

Yeah, but you guys are hosting it - im not a lawyer but whenever I heard of a libel case before its always a newspaper (publisher) that gets sued, not the journlalist who wrote the piece... but im not a lawyer, I dunno

Ok, hey it just looked to me like he was aiming at the author. I don't claim to know anything about this situation. For all I know he meant the whole site. I'm just a measly mapper. :)
Posted Image

Why should we buy postage stamps when we can make our own?

aperson being

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users