Kanonator

Older persons who play Runescape

I am only 20, Turn 21 July 3rd *can't wait*

I am a married housewife with no kids, I have been playing for a year and a half now.

I was introduced to the game by two really good friends ages 33 and 28.

Many adults play RS. Keep in mind it is the adults (mid-late 20s and early 30s) that DESIGNED Runescape.

And it is those that are even a few years older than that, that started computer games!

Does anyone honestly believe that when you get older you all of the sudden lose interest in ALL games? mind you there are many types of games, computer, card, board, console, sports, and more.

Adults and older players have free time, and "down time" where they get off work, kids are asleep, days off, etc. just like "kids" do.

Some adults spend that time reading, some watching tv, some shopping, some going out to clubs, malls, etc, and others choose to spend that time playing games, online or on a console.

Many adults also play with their children. I know most people can say they have played board games and card games with their entire family, well, in that respect, some families have decided instead of playing those types of games together they would rather play an online role playing game.

Runescape is the perfect online game for a family due to the fact that its free, and if you want to play members, the entire family can pay to play for the same ammount it would cost for only ONE family member to play one of the other mmorpgs out there.

Just my thoughts and opinions...

Mrs C

Call me Kat, or Kathy Corkat

Question: Is there a difference in playing style between the age groups?

I myself (almost 42) dont go Pk-ing. I tend to set myself a target (current one in lvl 70 crafting) and more or less stick to what im doing (still need 5K silver to get to lvl 70) after every 1K i 'treat' myself with some wizard killing (until i have about 100 nats) and then go mining, smelting and crafting again

Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.

I'm over 50 and lvl 115.

I never PK, but I like combat as much as skills.

I'm glad to see there are so many over 20 players.

While Im only 19 I know several older players, most of them are parents of players and from what I have seen they are better players, more polite and helpful than most, Ive also met someone online whos 7, when I was 7 i couldnt even turn a computor on 0o

I'll be 56 in May. My birthday and my 2-year anniversary of starting RS fall on the same weekend.

I'm a gamer from way back. When I was a kid we didn't have TV so we played a lot of board games, card games and chess. I earned my "DarkEros" handle in a D&D-type game about 30 years ago. I've been playing computer games since 1978 -- the original adventure game, the Colossal Caves game for the PDP 11 and other mini-computers.

I work with computers, doing database programming, and RS is my big escape in the evenings. I play, IM my friends and knit. I've never been much of a TV person so this is what I do instead of vegging out in front of the box.

My son's 16. He played for a while, but now plays WoW because that's what his friends play (and because I'm much higher level in RS than he ever was).

hugh_mannity.png

Average age of a gamer is 30. :wink:

123 Combat / 1900 Skill Total / 99 HP / 7x 99 Stats

Well I dont mean to offend any of you oldies or anything, but Im 16 and think Im a little old to be playing it. But whatever.....who needs a life anyway.....jk, but seriousely

Well I dont mean to offend any of you oldies or anything, but Im 16 and think Im a little old to be playing it. But whatever.....who needs a life anyway.....jk, but seriousely
Dewd, the end is near. :shock:

RETIRED:Xtnucx

Kanonator

Termionkatil

Undead Str

Led Floyd

Yup. Why do kiddies always think they are the only ones entitled to play on the net. I'm 37 and I grew up with video games. RS is fun and addicting. Why not play?

Im 115 combat and 6 :lol:

23 whip pks,3 dhorka,2 ahrims lvl 119 attack 99 strength 99 and defence 92 plus 94 mage

I'm only 14 myself, I bet I'll play this game at my age of 30 if this game will be getting new updates and stuff.

Also, half of my friend lists are people that are also over the age of 30, they are very expierenced at life and fun to talk to.

I'm 36 and started playing RuneScape last April after getting bored with another RPG. Gaming is a good way for me to unwind from life.

Oh yeah, and my best friend plays too. :D

I am 32 and I have been playing RuneScape for about 5 months and have found it quite fun and relaxing.

I have just finished all the F2P Quests and plan on becoming a member once all my F2P stats reach 60.

My hubby plays as well, he's 39, but not as much as I do, he spends more time playing America's Army.

Happy_Aussie.png

You have to remember that the gaming community started with board games and DnD I think 20-30 years ago.

So in a way, your parents were playing games before they were cool :)

Indeed. AD&D came out when I was very little. (I'm 31.) I married into a gamer family. My in-laws used to play D&D and all that, so my wife cut her teeth on gaming very early. (She'll be 37 Monday.)

Wargaming stuff has been around for a very long time (AD&D was influenced by it) and your Warhammer stuff is based on those old games.

I don't find it surprising that the original working title for the RS alpha was 'DeviousMUD'. I used to play the old text MUDs before 'graphical interface MUDs' came out, most notably Everquest (and yes, that's what MMORPGs used to be called).

A lot of us are just continuing old childhood hobbies. Mostly, it's just a way to kick back and relax after a day of work. My parents don't game, but I suspect that my wife, myself, and my sister (and brother-in-law) will be gaming for a while just to keep ourselves entertained.

It's a lot better than being glued to the 'idiot box'!

I'm only 15, but i have several friends who introduced me to the game who are in their 20's and 1 of my friend's dad(almost a top 10,000 player) plays and he must be around 50

picture.php?albumid=328&pictureid=1551

I'm just 14, but I have met many older players.

None of my friends is older than 16 though.

Older? Who's calling who, older?

We are the gaming generation!

I cut my teeth on Pong, ColecoVision and Atari.

I was fascinated when I learned to make the christmas tree with twinkeling lights on my very first computer back in 19..err..nevermind.

I ignored quite a few homework assignments to play Donkey Kong and Centipede at the arcade for hours on end.

Nintendo and Sega were fascinating. Those great grafx! :lol:

And how much better the Nintendo 64 was. Oooo.

The handheld Sega was da Bomb!

Just because a game is played on a screen doen't mean you are always alone. My son, husband and I play Halo together in the great room. My son plays RS on a laptop in the same room with me. I've always played video games with my kids. They think it's great.

Almost every adult I know plays games of one kind or another. It something one never outgrows. It's the reason younger people have these kinds of games to begin with.

If not playing games, what exactly should we be doing? Your laundry, perhaps? ROFLOL!

It is all to true that all us "older" gamers grew up playing games, heck i remember when choplifter on the apple IIe was the bomb, green graphics, come on now :) I still have my nintendo from 1986 and it works!, lol , I dont play it really ever, but its there for a little blast from the past. and companys do acually try to target games towards an older audience, because we have jobs and money to buy them, and the kids get to beg for them(which i remember doing quite well) So if there wasnt more adult gamers out there how would mmorpgs survive? Im sure some parents dont mind paying the monthly bills, but others probably will have nothing of it, they would rather you do your homework or something :lol:

smallsig2.jpg

RS name- Lunar3klipse, banned 3-16-06: found out theres a new appeal system, I get an extra appeal, fingers crossed.

BTW: Ill give someone a serious dollar, if I can use more than 30kb for a sig size :/ its my hosting for crying out-loud.

Older? Who's calling who, older?

We are the gaming generation!

I cut my teeth on Pong, ColecoVision and Atari.

I was fascinated when I learned to make the christmas tree with twinkeling lights on my very first computer back in 19..err..nevermind.

I ignored quite a few homework assignments to play Donkey Kong and Centipede at the arcade for hours on end.

Nintendo and Sega were fascinating. Those great grafx! :lol:

And how much better the Nintendo 64 was. Oooo.

The handheld Sega was da Bomb!

Just because a game is played on a screen doen't mean you are always alone. My son, husband and I play Halo together in the great room. My son plays RS on a laptop in the same room with me. I've always played video games with my kids. They think it's great.

Almost every adult I know plays games of one kind or another. It something one never outgrows. It's the reason younger people have these kinds of games to begin with.

If not playing games, what exactly should we be doing? Your laundry, perhaps? ROFLOL!

I am 11 but I really love the older games. Sonic, Donkey Kong, Pong, Tank, everything was good. As I've noticed, the Playstation really was not such a new revolution. The Genisis (or whatever) really was just right before that and looked just as good-actually, better-than the Playstation. THE DREAMCAST WAS THE BEST OF ALL TIME. That WAS a revolution. And the games were just as good as the Playstation 2. Older people, I know you think the same thing...I think.

RETIRED:Xtnucx

Kanonator

Termionkatil

Undead Str

Led Floyd

30 here, married with two kids... IT consultant, been playing computer games for more than two decades.

I get a laugh out of it when I'm told I must have no life as I sit playing with my kids on my knees. If this is not having a life, who'd want one?

siganizq4.gif

I'm 34, also an IT consultant. I run my own business and play Runescape to unwind while I watch my staff work :twisted:

I never say my age in game anymore though. I did once, and some young girl started sending me PMs saying I was some kind of sick pedophile groomer, and that no-one my age would play the game. That scared me to be honest. Nowadays you can't afford to be accused of that kind of thing.

well im 25 and i go to uni and ive played runescape for 4 years and my uni mates dont have a prob with me playing and my chemistry techer plays it he is a lvl 90

\../, ( * . * ) ,\../

I think it is great that we have some people that are older. It makes the game experince better.

troope1.gif

I will shoot down any one with my bitting wit, and sarcasm!

What POSSIBLE reason would someone have to make a fake like that?Does he profit from faking a picture like that? Does it help him at all?Jesus Christ, stop being so suspicious. This is Tip.it for God's sake, not RuneHQ. -_-