Motherboard

indy500fan

Stock heatsinks like that generally don't cool that well. If you plan to do high end gaming or overclocking on your pc I would look at buying a higher quality one, for example a Zalman heatsink/fan combo.

Yup, and as you using AMD, you need some big cool system, AMD has the highst rates of "melting down"

~komodo

That's pure bull, if you don't mind my saying. If anything, Intel's P4 Prescotts have a reputation for running hot. The highest my Athlon 64 3500+ has EVER gotten with the stock heatsink is 35 C, and many P4s are up in the 40s and even 50s.

Yup :P

But AMD keeps running when they overheat, P4 dont, so the chance of losing your processor by not having fans is bigger with AMD!

~komodo

That's controlled by the motherboard, not the processor. I have no idea where you heard such a thing, but it's no way true. Almost all motherboards today shut the system down once the processor reaches a certain temperature, and a processor overheating is not a common occurance by any means.

The bottom line is that AMD runs cooler on the whole and most if not all motherboards shut down the system when the processor gets hot enough.

I have to reiterate that that's totally wrong komodo. As bttf man said, nearly every (maybe even every) mobo made in the past couple of years has heat control features. This has nothing to do with the cpu. If you were to look into the running temperatures of current AMD and Intel cpus, you'd find that at the moment AMD cpus run quite a bit cooler than Intel. Check your "facts."

I have to reiterate that that's totally wrong komodo. As bttf man said, nearly every (maybe even every) mobo made in the past couple of years has heat control features. This has nothing to do with the cpu. If you were to look into the running temperatures of current AMD and Intel cpus, you'd find that at the moment AMD cpus run quite a bit cooler than Intel. Check your "facts."

Removed the other quotes, was getting too big!

I know that AMD is better, I agree and I want to buy one aswell :P

But I was just trying to say that they overheat, and they dont stop, P4 stop.

But the fact is get a good cooling system!

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

~komodo

P4 and AMD don't stop. If by stop you mean stop working, then I imagine that both processors would stop working once they both reached similarly-high temperatures, but the shutdown is motherboard-controlled. The magic number for most motherboards seems to be 60C though, so they both "stop" at the same temp for the most part.

Sorry if I seem overbearing, but that's what it is :D.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

~komodo

P4 and AMD don't stop. If by stop you mean stop working, then I imagine that both processors would stop working once they both reached similarly-high temperatures, but the shutdown is motherboard-controlled. The magic number for most motherboards seems to be 60C though, so they both "stop" at the same temp for the most part.

Sorry if I seem overbearing, but that's what it is :D.

Ok, Ok, not discussing with the pros :P

But overall, P4 supports like 2-3ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâú more then AMD, pretty small diff, and I prefer AMD anywayz! :D

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

In bios or programs such as motherboard monitor you can change the shut off temperature so you can make it lower to reduce damage to your processor :)

As long as the temperatures are under 50*C you really shouldn't have a problem with crashes.

Your case have room for fans? I bit of ducting to your cpu and gpu will help loads

reportbuttanerfb6.gif