Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Sign in to follow this  
Nazgul740

Durial's interview gives 'scapers a bad rap

it wasnt worth it! losing a high level account for 5 minute of fame? all that hard work and money, just to lose your account and destroy the items that many players saved up. its pointless. i for one would have just reported the bug.

newsigvq3.png

My first ever sig wewt! (worst face ftw?)

Wish me luck with the fire cape ;)

as far as i am concerned, durial is right down there with macroers, item and password scammers. he purposely abused an in game bug to his own advantage, rather than reporting it and not exploiting it as he should.

durial is not a legend. that is offensive to the true legends of this game. durial is infamous, that is all. i find the rat's interview with him to be stupid and pointless. the rat pretty much supports him for what he did. i believe he had no intention of giving the items he stole back to their original owners. to those who say otherwise, why did he give the items away to his friends? i also read something about him moving the green phat to a mule account. anybody that thinks he should not be banned is very very wrong. he should be banned like any other bug abused. not just a couple of days, or a week though: he should be banned for good. its the only just thing to do to compensate for the massive losses of others without a server rollback (which will not happen).

i honestly hope he gets banned and doesnt come back. 6/6/06 will go down in runescape as a day of infamy. durial is not a legend.

Stallion4589.png

you do know that he spoke like that so durial would talk to him? if he had said "omg u r t3h n33b" or something like that, i doubt there would be anb interview

and, i personally despise all cheaters in any game, but a cheat as amazing as this is on par with the phat dupe, and will be remembered, not with reverence, but with malice, and infamity. and also, as this happened on 666, it will hold a certain myticism about it. you cant erase the memory, but you can disgrace what happened

Back by popular demand!

And I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the light starts to fade, that you aree the reason, that I am not afraid, and I guess I just wanted to mention, as the heavens will fall, that we will be together soon if we will be anything at all.

Link to issue- http://tip.it/runescape/?page=durial321 ... ew.htm#rat

What part of this is sad... please tell me i can't understand it... am i ignorant or just confused...

Umm, ignorant. And the whole point in putting the interview on the front page was to STOP people making more threads about this, it was taking up too much bandwidth, so you really shouldn't have even made this thread.

And by the way, just because you wouldn't have done what Durial321 did, there are still a lot of people who would have done the same thing when found with the ability to attack others, quite a few did, just Durial321 did more damage, so he is the one that gets mentioned. However I do believe that Durial321 should be permanently banned, if you don't get banned for this, what do you get banned for?

bflinty1.png

Drops: Barrows: 60+ DK: 4... Dragon: 60+ Whips: 2... GWD: 0...ouch!

Main Goal: 2000 total with no 99's

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

bflinty1.png

Bagged for Bug-abuse.

What he did was wrong, people lost all kinds of items (that he maybe not even got). Random looters getting rares?

Ain̫̉t no rollbacks gonna help him.

God forgives, I don̫̉t.

He did make gaming history. He's the first player in 2006 to ever PK anyone outside of the Wilderness.

He would be upset that his account was locked, irrespective of what he did wrong. (Why do you think you see all of these 'Banned for no reason' threads on the boards anyway?)

I don't know The Rat's stance on this situation, nor do I know their relationship with Durial, nor do I wish to. Maybe they were trying to cheer The Rat up; maybe it was filler. I don't want to debate over little stuff like that; what was said was said.

PKers are always looking for an advantage. Some of them wouldn't PK outside of wild. Some.

If you realise that he has to atone for his actions, why are you adding another mountain of hatred and guilt on top of that? What's done is done. Rares can be re-earned. Items can be reobtained. Nothing was seriously wounded aside from pixels, maybe a few egos, but that's about it. Durial earned a ban, and that's more than enough justice for me.

You didn't need to go and yell at the poor guy. He's been yelled at plenty.

One more thing: I don't see how this gives ALL players of RuneScape a 'bad rap'. One player, maybe; an entire gaming community...That's both ludicrous and prejudice.

Makato D owns you all and RuneWeb owns my soul.

and word on the street is its a 12 day ban? odd but meh rumors are rumors.

Atomic_Boss.png

Nazgul740 stop being a little [bleep], get off your rags, i think durial is a hero and should be worshipped, for those who lost their items, maybe they have finally learnt that runescape isnt everything and have finally gotten a life

all hail durial

i finally quit runescape to play world of warcraft. i play on frostmourne, alliance

check out my thread

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=479665&highlight=

He's banned now as his stats have been removed from the hiscores.

I argue that it is Jagex's fault for allowing such a glitch. There have been hundreds (not an exageration) of glithces and faults with the player owned houses. Moreover, Jagex has had ages, over a year to develop this party of the game scince they first announced it, and work was probably going on before they did. In my house i've had people swimming through the floor, people stuck inside walls, people standing over open trapdoors, people falling through the trap door and appearing in the middle of nowhere, people sitting backwards on chairs. and it goes on. Jagex knows that RS is rife with scammers who will use glitches and bugs to thier own advantage, and yet they still leave in all these bugs which can so easily be abused. So this, in my opinion, is Jagex's fault, leaving in bugs and then treating those that demonstrate that thier programming has faults as the wrongful party. Durial did not hack, he did not even seek to replicate the bug. The bug was thrust upon him, and he found himself in a situation where he was surrounded by free items, items that it had always been his goal to aquire. And suddenly, like a golden shortcut, he didn't have to work to get them. No time to think about the consequences, no time to consider other people's feeling, he had to get as much as he could, as quickly as possible, before someone stopped him. He flet overjoyed, he was having fun, aquiring all those items he wanted in such an easy way! No, Durial can not be blamed for his actions. Jagex has created an oppressive, repressive, limited and totalitarian game situation, where people cannot voice thier views if they are deemed unacceptable (As much as i dislike rascists they have a right to voice thier views like the rest of us). In this atmosphere we are pitted against the system - the system took 4 million gold pieces from me in glitches like the auto skull glitch and a forced log out, the system makes it hard to work for the items you want, the system makes it a struggle to achieve your goals (not that these are bad things, just bare with me). Jagex created this feeling, and therefore it is thier fault, arguably, that durial went on this "doomsday ramapge". I lay the blame firmly at the feet of JaGeX.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

He did make gaming history. He's the first player in 2006 to ever PK anyone outside of the Wilderness.

He would be upset that his account was locked, irrespective of what he did wrong. (Why do you think you see all of these 'Banned for no reason' threads on the boards anyway?)

I don't know The Rat's stance on this situation, nor do I know their relationship with Durial, nor do I wish to. Maybe they were trying to cheer The Rat up; maybe it was filler. I don't want to debate over little stuff like that; what was said was said.

PKers are always looking for an advantage. Some of them wouldn't PK outside of wild. Some.

If you realise that he has to atone for his actions, why are you adding another mountain of hatred and guilt on top of that? What's done is done. Rares can be re-earned. Items can be reobtained. Nothing was seriously wounded aside from pixels, maybe a few egos, but that's about it. Durial earned a ban, and that's more than enough justice for me.

You didn't need to go and yell at the poor guy. He's been yelled at plenty.

One more thing: I don't see how this gives ALL players of RuneScape a 'bad rap'. One player, maybe; an entire gaming community...That's both ludicrous and prejudice.

Makato D owns you all and RuneWeb owns my soul.

and word on the street is its a 12 day ban? odd but meh rumors are rumors.

you stats stay on the hiscores if you have a temporary ban.

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

Before you criticize him, think about what you would do if you had the ability to atack people outside of the Wild without them being able to attack you back.

Over 90% of Runescape would go on a rampage. The allure of riches would be too great for most people to ignore. Human's are greedy and naturally evil (That is, everyone has evil tendencies). Given the chance to acquire an extreme amount of wealth with no risk, most people would take it. It's human nature. He just did what numerous people have thought about doing (Don't sit here and tell me that you've NEVER thought about being able to attack someone outside of the Wild).

It's always easy to say you wouldn't do so when you're not given the chance to do it. Of course, given the chance to do, most people would.

That's just my $.02 8-)

Edit: It's the same as people being able to attack people playing CW's from the waiting room for their items or mages being able to attack people inside of the abyss. Whenever there's an opportunity to profit with little risk, people will take it. It's not just a "Durial" thing. I'm sure that many people pointing the finge at him would have done the same thing given the chance.

Over 90% of Runescape would go on a rampage. The allure of riches would be too great for most people to ignore. Human's are greedy and naturally evil (That is, everyone has evil tendencies).

Yes! And no...

The only thing is dispute is the idea of an absolute value like evil, i would argue that its relative. However, yes! Humans are motivated by self intrest in my opinion. As Jeremy Bentham said

mankind has been placed under to sovreign masters, pleasure and pain... All actions can be described as an individual wanting to achieve pleasure or escape pain - pleasure in this case being the motivator - the wealth he aquired gave him pleasure. The reason i keep exclaiming Yes! is because i very rarely find this view, as it requires people to reomve sentimental and moral fuzzines from thier minds in order to determine thier true motivations.

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

I play this game for fun.

I wouldn't abuse the bug as then I would be banned, obviously. >_>

It would be a waste of time, so what if you could attack people, go to the wild and attack people for 'fun'..

And being popular over the internet? lmao.

Over 90% of Runescape would go on a rampage. The allure of riches would be too great for most people to ignore. Human's are greedy and naturally evil (That is, everyone has evil tendencies). Given the chance to acquire an extreme amount of wealth with no risk

This is what confuses me, but so many people are saying that. Why do you say that 90% of runescapers would do this if they're guaranteed a ban for doing it? You don't keep the things you get because you get banned. I just don't see how people could gladly throw away the character they spent hundreds of hours working on for an hour of attackign people.

Anyone who actually agrees with what this guy did is a moron. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If I would've encountered such a bug. Yeah... I would've attacked one person, but thats it. And I wouldn't have killed them either, I would have stopped after one hit and then reported the bug. Why? Because that would have been the right thing to do. Not what this guy did.

And had I of killed someone via this bug... I wouldn't of even thought about keeping the item. Infact I would have given the person their item back, and probably apologized to them for testing a bug on them.

Yup - i'll give you full marks for that one :) This is what ANY half-decent player would have done... and what Duriel *should* have done - which would have saved him from a ban.

Tip.it is really no better. I feel tip.it staff is being some what hypocritical about the entire situation. They don't want people posting about bug abuse and naming names... yet this just so happens to be an exception??? Come on tip.it... If you're gonna make rules... at LEAST stick with them. Promoting bug abuse even if you don't support it is just as bad. How can you publish such content on your own damn website and forums when it is immoral and against the rules. Hypocrites I tell ya...

Now this... this I disagree with entirely.

Please - explain to me how we are "Promoting bug abuse" ?? Have we come out and said "Check this out ! Here's how you do it, go for broke !" ? If we did, I most certainly missed that one, and would have removed it in a heart-beat if i'd seen it...

Allowing a report on what the result of someone abusing a bug to be posted - with no details on how to replicate it, etc. is hardly promoting it.

I can tell you now, each and every member of the Admin team condemn Duriels' actions and are absolutely appalled at the chaos he caused - totally selfish, careless and irresponsible, and my heart goes out to those innocents caught up in the middle of this and suffering losses which they should not have suffered.

Yes, this is only a game... however, the millions of GP, items, etc. which were lost, have all taken time and effort to earn, or have sentimental value in some cases, and that has all been unfairly taken from numerous people by those who broke the rules.

Now, the only exception that HAS been made here, is the whole naming of names things - and that's purely due to exceptional circumstances. It was so widely-known, and so entirely proven beyond doubt, that there was no "possible innocent" to be spared.

...I lay the blame firmly at the feet of JaGeX.

Yes... yes I see how Jagex forced Duriel to go out and kill those people. Made him go out and actively click on all those people innocently walking along in town, cutting them down without a thought for them.

Yes - Jagex most certainly are evil people, with those Jedi mind-control techniques of theirs... :roll:

Duriel made a concious decision to do what he did. He knew the rules (and even if he didn't, he signed a thing to say the he DID, so he has no recourse there), he broke them, and has been suitably punished.

Those who support what Duriel did... well, they need to sit back, look around, and think "Hmmm - what if that was ME, with my blue phat and full dharoks and g maul, and 2 mill gp on me that was killed ? How would I feel about it THEN ?". Pull your head out of the sand, kids, and think about the big picture, rather than just yourselves for a change...

One-time #13 smither.

All-time #1 noob.

Over 90% of Runescape would go on a rampage. The allure of riches would be too great for most people to ignore. Human's are greedy and naturally evil (That is, everyone has evil tendencies). Given the chance to acquire an extreme amount of wealth with no risk

This is what confuses me, but so many people are saying that. Why do you say that 90% of runescapers would do this if they're guaranteed a ban for doing it? You don't keep the things you get because you get banned. I just don't see how people could gladly throw away the character they spent hundreds of hours working on for an hour of attackign people.

read my first post. He probably didnt even think about it

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

I did have the option, and chose not to use it. Not hard at all. That doesn't make me a wimp/wannabe pmod/insert-childish-accusation-here, nor does it make me a hero.

Yes, it's a game, but behind each computer is a person, with different reasons for playing. Choosing to make YOUR reason for playing superior to other's, is down right arrogant.

I wrote this in another thread on the subject:

Now I remember why I don't PK - the mentality of many pkers (not all, there are some honourable, too) is horrible, and for their sake I hope they act like that ingame to compensate for being overly nice IRL. Somehow I just doubt that.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

I will say that I dont blame durial entirely-for one, he's a teenage boy, and I know from experience (I am one) that many teenage boys do rash things (at least from what the rat says before the interview).

However, I can say that it is HIS fault. He is the only truely responsible party in this, as he was given the choice to report the bug to Jagex, but didn't.

I CAN say that I would have been tempted to do the same thing, I can also say that I wouldn't have. I'm not a pker, for more then one reason-I know the feeling of losing items that you've spent ages getting, and I dont want to inflict that upon others.

In the end, it is durial's fault, and nobody elses, that he took those actions.

However, if Jagex had follow their normal policy of keeping the temptation to scam or abuse bugs at a minimum, in this case by not releasing carpentry until months later, then this wouldn't have happened.

To the "fishing for pmod status" guy: First off, being a pmod would be too much responsibility for ickle me :) Second off, ON A FANSITE? Last I checked Jagex -doesn't support fansites-, and I dont think they're too happy with tip.it after the security breach a few weeks ago.

Even though tip.it has nothing to do with the interview at all, I personally think it wasn't a smart move to post such an extremely biased and opinionated interview on the site.

If I go back to a short while ago, I can remember an article that was too biased on "unfair banning" of players, written by the Editor of the tip.it times, who's opinion is clearly stated to not necessarily reflect tip.it's opinion either. The article was removed because it was too biased.

Tell me, apart from the one being in the tip.it times and the other being just an uploaded article on your site, what's the difference in both things?

Over 90% of Runescape would go on a rampage. The allure of riches would be too great for most people to ignore.

That says more about 90% of RuneScape in that case, rather then that it makes it "ok" what Durial did. It's plain non-contraversional bug abuse, there's no way to talk that "right".

Anyone who actually agrees with what this guy did is a moron. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If I would've encountered such a bug. Yeah... I would've attacked one person, but thats it. And I wouldn't have killed them either, I would have stopped after one hit and then reported the bug. Why? Because that would have been the right thing to do. Not what this guy did.

And had I of killed someone via this bug... I wouldn't of even thought about keeping the item. Infact I would have given the person their item back, and probably apologized to them for testing a bug on them.

Tip.it is really no better. I feel tip.it staff is being some what hypocritical about the entire situation. They don't want people posting about bug abuse and naming names... yet this just so happens to be an exception??? Come on tip.it... If you're gonna make rules... at LEAST stick with them. Promoting bug abuse even if you don't support it is just as bad. How can you publish such content on your own damn website and forums when it is immoral and against the rules. Hypocrites I tell ya...

Well said.

To me, Tip.it made a big mistake in deciding to publish such a fawning interview with a complete idiot (both the interviewer and the interviewee)

Yes, RS is 'only' a game and yes the items are 'only' pixels but as we all know there are many who play the game, get so wrapped up in it becasue of the time they have invested etc. that they treat it very seriously when they lose items they have 'worked' for.

As the father of children who play this game, I would not have wished to deal with the fallout of Durial's actions had they been victim to them.

It was totally immature and irresponsible to be so thoughtless and selfish. Calling the guy a 'legend' is madness - The Rat should be ashamed especially as I understand he is a lot older IRL and should know better.

Is there any excuse for Durial's actions ? No, messing around trying this bug out amongst friends who understand what is happening is one thing (I still don't approve) but deliberatly targeting those wearing expensive items is sick. No amount of 'I am sorry and of course I would give the items back' comments made after the event cut the mustard with me.

I am glad Jagex have banned him (or at least banned on this character) - I just wish they had a way of permenantly banning him from ever playing this game again because he has shown he evidently does not have the right attitude for playing RS.

There are too many playing this game now days who have a bad attitude in game - it is nowhere near as friendly a community as it was at the start of RS2 (didn't play RSC so can't comment on that). THe sooner these people are kicked out of the game the better.

PS - I've seen the video and all those encouraging and egging him on are just as bad and Jagex should seriously consider banning them as well - their attitude is not what we should expect in this game.

Helios_Gamos.png

Quod liet ingratum est; Quod non licet acrius urit.

What amuses me about this discussion is the manner in which everyone has suddenly become an expert about what everyone else would do in that situation. Newsflash: you can't predict the reactions of others, only yourself. The only real issue is whether what the person in question did is unmoral or not. I would argue that it is. This is because a person's RS avatar represents a substantial amount of time and effort, as it's their hobby.

Think of a comparable situation. Say you make models out of matchsticks, if anyone does that any more. Now imagine you've gone to a convention of matchstick-model makers, where everyone has brought their finest creations to display. One of the makers finds a hammer, and decides that to smash everyone else's model, purely for fun. Is this wrong? Of course it is. There is no difference between pixels and matchsticks in this situation, as the only morally relevant qualities are human effort and care. If you're willing to destroy the work of others for your own amusement, then you should be kept away from other people, as you're clearly mentally disturbed.

And as for the other argument, that it encourages people to go out and get a life, it's perfectly possible to run a life alongside Runescape that involves lots of drinking, clubbing and sex. I just have to wake up a couple of hours before my girlfriend, so I can play without her finding out...

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

To me, Tip.it made a big mistake in deciding to publish such a fawning interview with a complete idiot (both the interviewer and the interviewee)

I'd just like to clarify this - we did not publish this, per se, as much as we removed it from the forums, which were rapidly grinding to a halt due to the unexpected load that was put on them, onto the web-site, as a static page, which could handle considerably more connections at a time than the forums could... it's almost made quite obvious that this was done, and why, and that it was, by no means, something that we agreed with.

... just thought I should clarify that, as you make it sound as if we posted it up as a Tip.it Times article :P

One-time #13 smither.

All-time #1 noob.

Durial and his supporters are a bunch of scums, simple as that.

I've read the interview, and Its disguasting. That durial seems like a brainless and violent kid, with a kind of thinking fitting a serial killer. His supporters are not much better then him, and their claims are pathetic.

Yes, many people wont return items of another player got killed (though most time I personaly did returned the items) - but they are not the ones who killed him.

Yes, many player sometimes think "Oh, i wish I could kill that jerk" (out of wildy) when they encounter an annoying jerk, begger or another guy from that kind - but thinking is one thing, and doing it (not to one player who treated you wrong, but to so many players who did you nothing wrong) is another thing.

Both durial and his supporters enjoy to cause pain and grief upon others. True, what was lost were pixels - but with them, weeks of hard work and time investing. pixels or no pixels, its the same scorn and careless aproach to how other people feel/ pixels or no, other people (not pixels, real people) got hurt and suffered - and that scumbag and his supporters dont give a dam about how other feel. People like them are the worst of rs comminity.

So as for the main "star" of the event - he deserve every flame and insult. Have your ban, Dureal, and rot with it.

L.Bellatrix.png

Slayer: 85/85, Herblore: 82/82, Farming 81/82, def 99/99.

new goals: full sardomain costum from t.trails (2/6), slayer 87/90, attack 98/99

Dragon drops: 4 half shields, 2 dragon spears | whip drops: 5.

barrow drops: Ahrim's hood

I agree!!

The so called dam rat acted asif he had been banned in error!!?!?

BUG ABUSE YOU SILLY RAT!

I think the interview was WAY over the top. Needless to say the whole thing was..i mean who will really care about the fally massacre after a few weeks?

BUG ABUSE AINT COOL.

x_runes.png

99 Runecraft - 99 Fletching - 99 All Melee's 1800+ Total

I'd just like to clarify this - we did not publish this, per se, as much as we removed it from the forums, which were rapidly grinding to a halt due to the unexpected load that was put on them, onto the web-site, as a static page, which could handle considerably more connections at a time than the forums could... it's almost made quite obvious that this was done, and why, and that it was, by no means, something that we agreed with.

... just thought I should clarify that, as you make it sound as if we posted it up as a Tip.it Times article :P

Clarification accepted Grin - I guess the weight on the forums meant the option of doing nothing was rather like trying to hold back the tide.

A much clearer statement denying responsibility would have helped - i.e. not hidden in the body of the text.

Helios_Gamos.png

Quod liet ingratum est; Quod non licet acrius urit.

It's the same reason as to why people scam others, even though they know they will more than likely be banned.

Because the allure of riches superceeds everything else. Humans are motivated by greed and self-promotion. We like to think that we aren't, but we are. Anytime there is a chance at acquiring wealth, we take it. Consequences are rarely ever a deterring factor.

To make a real world example, it's the same basis as which people willingly lie, steal, cheat and everything else just to get to the top (I know you've seen them, because some of them end up in jail, like the CEO's of Enron for example). Relating this to Runescape, though, when bugs are discovered people are likely to exploit them.

People exploited the bug which allowed you to attack people who were playing CW's while you were in the lobby.

People exploited the bug which allowed you to attack others inside of the abyss.

People explotied the Guthix rest tea bug.

People exploited the bug allowing you to use a prayer book in no armour duels.

People exploited the bug allowing you to reap the rewards from the Waterfall quest over and over and over again.

The list goes on and on and on. Given the chance, the majority of people would exploit bugs to promote their own self-interests. It's simply human nature. To deny as much would be to lie to yourself.