Due to the significant updates that have taken place, you now need to login with your display name or e-mail address, NOT your login name. ×
Due to posts that are 5+ years old being rebuilt, some of the older BBCodes may not have converted properly but still be in the post. Most posts are unaffected but some using what was our custom BBCode (like [spoiler]) will be a bit broken. ×
Anesthesia

Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

You ask someone to counter the points you raise, then insult them when they do?

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

I, of course, consider my posts to be pure gold, and there's some other posters here that aren't half bad.
You say that the guy who posts that is not an egotist? :roll:

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

This certainly has turned into quite the hot debate, with quite abit of thought and views from all sides.

On one side of this debate, you have users who seem to like the idea of post counts and ranks, be it for judging an users quality/reputation, status symbol, or for other reasons.

On the other, you have an option of removing them all together, in an valiant effort to help weed out and reduce the amount of spam on the forums, and to preserve resources.

Plus the middle ground of keeping, but hiding which is sort of a compromise between the two. Which I touched upon earlier in the thread before this was made into an poll.

I kind of like the ranks, purely out of nostalgia value, since they've been here mostly since the beginning of the boards. Post count, however, i'm indifferent on. Although neither it is that important, atleast to me personally.

Now the question is, what is the right one to choose? I still haven't voted in any official form, as i'm unsure. However, presently I'm kind of leaning towards the keep but hide option, as it seems like the best compromise between the two.

In the end, I dont think its going to make that much of an difference, as most people here are probably going to be here after, regardless of whatever the outcome happens to be.

Another viable alternative might be to separate the ranks from the counts, moving the post count to the profile or removing it completely. If such an system is considered, naturally it would be an moderator ran service, so that the system is in no means automated and spamming would be worthless. Users might could be given options to "approve" of an post, whereas with so many approvals it would be brought to the moderator teams attention where they have the final say in the matter. After say, so many staff approved "quality" posts, an rank advances.

Funny story: As I click on post reply and the text box pops up where I write everything I notice there's a report someone sent in. I go to see what it is...lo and behold our good friend spam. I just locked a thread on general that wasn't the most clear in the world but there were users who were trying to help. However, after the first 2 replies the rest were nothing more than spam until the one right before I locked it and not all these people had would I would consider low counts (sub 100).

This is exactly the point I was trying to make previously and one that Albosky mentioned. The amount of spam is truly staggering. For those of you who stay mainly on one or two boards you don't see it too much but if you go through most boards as mods do you'd see how much there really is. That's just the stuff that doesn't get removed right away.

Simply put, it takes longer. Now, I know what you're thinking; What a lazy punk! But in truth, I read hundreds of topics a day, and possibly thousands of replies. Clicking a link (which btw clicking the person's name should link you to the profile) to a profile to view a post count doesn't seem that hard when you have to do it once, but having to do it hundreds or thousands of times a day? It over complicates things. Now, this is a good backup idea, but I don't see the point in it.

Good point but I highly doubt you would end up looking at the post count of so many people or need to. I imagine you have quite a discerning taste when it comes to judging whether a post has merit or not without resorting to a number that shows how many times they've posted before. The reason I mention this is that it eludes to a scenario where given two people posting the same borderline topic/post, one would overlook the spammy nature of the higher post count person while looking at the lower post count person's post as pure spam with no redeeming values.

Albosky's comment about the forums being quicker is an excellent point. If any of you browse forums extensively as Bloodveld does then you know how aggravating they can be on a slow day. Now imagine viewing that many posts.....then add about 3-6 clicks extra per spammy/rule breaking one you find to clean it up. The amount of time spent waiting on a slow forum grows tremendously. That to me is reason enough to remove what Albosky mentioned to speed things up.

You would be surprised. Now, I know I don't read every forum, but in gen p2p I read almost all the posts, but that's not all. I own a decently active forum and am an admin or mod on quite a few other forums.

That's somewhat of the problem. Most of our high ranked posters seem to frequent Gen P2P, or so it seems to me. If you spend much time on General or Off Topic among others you'd see how much spam happens. The amount of posts that are in that gray area of being spam/bad post is even more.

One more thing before I stop. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with post counts if people would stop replying to spam. I'd love to know the percent of some people's post count that is from posting on topics just to say "wrong forum", "spam" or "what's the point?". If it troubles you badly enough to take the time to reply then the same amount of effort could be spent sending in a report on it and not replying when you submit one.

Forgive the choppy nature of this post. I would have posted this an hour ago but I kept having to stop to deal with spam posts, go figure. :P

Also as a general comment: while I enjoy a good debate, attacking a person instead of their argument is a cheap shot. If a position is really that faulty then it should be easy enough to pick it apart on its own without calling the poster's intelligence or personal qualities into question. :wink:

Disclaimer: As with the last few posts these are entirely my opinions and in no way reflect the opinions of Tip.It.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

One more thing before I stop. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with post counts if people would stop replying to spam. I'd love to know the percent of some people's post count that is from posting on topics just to say "wrong forum", "spam" or "what's the point?". If it troubles you badly enough to take the time to reply then the same amount of effort could be spent sending in a report on it and not replying when you submit one.
Not sure if this is aimed at me, but this is what I've been doing since I noticed the report option. :P (not sure who checks the gen p2p reports)

Forgive the choppy nature of this post. I would have posted this an hour ago but I kept having to stop to deal with spam posts, go figure. :P
Sounds like we need more mods. :P Runehq has like 8 mods per forum. :lol:

Also as a general comment: while I enjoy a good debate, attacking a person instead of their argument is a cheap shot. If a position is really that faulty then it should be easy enough to pick it apart on its own without calling the poster's intelligence or personal qualities into question. :wink:
If that was directed at me, then I admit I was flaming whats-his-name, but only because he started the flame, and I hate egotists. If it was directed at him, then...yeah.

Disclaimer: As with the last few posts these are entirely my opinions and in no way reflect the opinions of Tip.It.
Community propaganda!

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

This one wasn't about you at all. This was based off many different posts made by many different people. The best thing anyone can do is send in a report on a topic whether it be wrong forum, spam, etc. If it's already been reported you get that nifty X on the icon so only one report gets sent in. The problem becomes when people bypass this just to be the 6th person to state "wrong forum." In reality even the first reply saying that is spam, the rest only compound it. If you report it, let it be. :wink: That alone would help make post counts a little more meaningful if they weren't chocked full of spammy padding.

Remember the old proverb: Two spams don't make a right. :-k Err yeah that's it.

Also as a general comment: while I enjoy a good debate, attacking a person instead of their argument is a cheap shot. If a position is really that faulty then it should be easy enough to pick it apart on its own without calling the poster's intelligence or personal qualities into question.

Not meant toward you really, more of a "everyone play nice" kinda thing because frankly a lack of name calling and flaming make topics much more enjoyable to me and I'm sure many others. :D

As for the time it took to type my last reply. I'll blame most of it on my perfectionistic tendencies when drafting something that a hundred people will likely read. Also I can't get back into my swing when I stop for 15 minutes. :P

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat

Less of the flaming please, keep it clean. Just counter their arguments and leave it at that.

Signiture1-1.gif

99 Magic, 99 Defence, 99 Strength, 99 Attack, 99 Hitpoints, 99 Fletching, 99 Woodcutting, 99 Firemaking, 99 Thieving, 99 Ranged, 99 Prayer, 99 Cooking, 99 Fishing

If this was my forum i would have removed post count and never brought it back. From my experience with forums, post counts bring spam, people posting hardly anything just to raise their post count.

It also leads to people's opinions being disregarded because they have low post counts. Which then again leads to them spamming to raise their posts.

No matter what, even if there was many complaints, it would be best to remove it in the long run.

Mystical.

Mystical+Jin.png

I support post count for one reason: someone with several thousand posts is probably someone whose information is going to be reliable...I am sure that if someone had several thousand posts, but were mostly spam.....the mods would have taken them to lunch already.

ON that note however, I suggest not showing how many posts are required to go up a rank...then if you dont know how far you need to go, you would have less motivation. :wink:

So because I might have played the game for eleventy years, but joined this forum 2 weeks ago, my information is less likely to be trusted? If you ask me that's a good reason to remove it.

for me, it serves as a bit of a trust thing, like if someone is having a big party, so that i'll know that it isnt a hoax

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

What if...

We keep post counts, but in profiles only.

Put a Karma Bar thingy where post counts were and only the MoDs have the ability to add Karma pertentage to it, depending on the posts that the members make.

i like post counts. its a way to see how distinguished the user is and probably how much knowledge they know.

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

i like post counts. its a way to see how distinguished the user is and probably how much knowledge they know.

So because I might have played the game for eleventy years, but joined this forum 2 weeks ago, my information is less likely to be trusted? If you ask me that's a good reason to remove it.

If postcount is removed i'm quitting

Good. Don't let the door hit your bum on the way out.

Common sense is all the reason I need. You are the only idiot I've ever seen that thinks a spam post is worth a banning. I seriously hope you are joking about this, otherwise you truly are an idiot.

I'm not joking in the least. I read another forum that does this- if you make a stupid post, a one-word reply, or one riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, you're banned and that's that. That forum is a delight to read. You know why? There aren't any junk posts. There need to be more moderators here, and they need to be swift and merciless about cutting out spam posts and the people who make them.

never said that the reason that I make good posts was for a high post count. Rolling Eyes You are completely missing the point. d'oh! Maybe only a selfless person can understand what I mean, you know, someone who doesn't worship himself in his avvy.

You may make these brilliant posts out of nothing but a sense of pure altruism, but you attempted to make the point that "good members watch as their post count increases with every positive contribution to a forum, and become a record of poisitive achievement." Short-term memory, eh? It's not very selfless to make posts with the purpose of pumping up your post count, regardless of the quality of these posts.

I, of course, consider my posts to be pure gold, and there's some other posters here that aren't half bad.
You say that the guy who posts that is not an egotist? :roll:

Okay, maybe I did phrase the original statement poorly, so let me have another go at it: Compared to almost every other person here, what I write is pure gold.

What if... We keep post counts, but in profiles only. Put a Karma Bar thingy where post counts were and only the MoDs have the ability to add Karma pertentage to it, depending on the posts that the members make.

Unneeded frippery. Aside from the mods probably not wanting to twiddle with the karma level of every crackpot who replies to a Help and Advice post, the more stuff like this they add the dumber the forum gets, honestly. I can't remember the name of it offhand, but there's some forum out there- I use the term loosely- wherein you get points for posting, and these points can be used to purchase imaginary baubles from a "store" of sorts, which can be displayed next to your name or in your profile. It's a slippery slope, I tell you- is this the kind of nonsense you want coming here?

two points that have been mentioned frequently since i last posted:

speed of the forums: removing post count all together may help speed things up, im not exactly sure how that works. putting the post counts in the profile would not, since they still have to be tracked, not to mention that is one more page load for the server to try to handle. it could make things a lot slower than now.

ranking/karma/ratings: any sort of system like that will be abused. popularity will be prelevant in most rankings. and not to mention people will be +/- based on their opinions, not on if the post is good or not. for proof just look at digg.com. if someone disagrees with the majority, they are dugg down. piracy is a big issue on there, and pretty much any post that is pro anti-piracy is dugg deep, even if it is a well thought out post.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

A lot of worthy points raised on both sides of the issue. My $0.02 is as follows:

We're competetive people - humans - gamers perhaps moreso than average. Being that competition is human nature, wherever there are large enough numbers of humans gathered, either in RL or online, there will evolve various forms of competition. Anything that can be compared on an internet forum inevitably will be. Join date, post count, 'karma' scores etc are all things that can be readily compared - and therefore readily used as innacurate pseudo-measurements of a poster's intelligence and relevance.

Join Date... "So and so has been here for three years, you've only been here a month, why do you think I should listen to you?" The fact that someone has signed up to a forum at a particular date has absolutely no bearing on how long they've been partaking in a particular activity or what their level of understanding of it might be. I've had the exact same situation happen to me - on a professional forum no less - where I've been googling for something, ran across a post on a forum with a question I've known the solution to, signed up, posted an answer, been dismissed as a stupid newbie by forum "regulars" who have since missed out on the experience that my 10 years in the field might have brought to their forum.

Post Count... The reason why we're discussing these things in the first place. Again... the number of times I can hit the "submit" button is no reflection of the quality of my posts. If it is seen as any such measurement it will, invariably, attract spam. Any forum I've seen where post count has been used to secure certain sections of the forum has been practically swamped with useless posts aimed solely at boosting post counts.

'fame' / 'karma' / 'reputation'... I've seen these sorts of systems in play too. While they can be a useful tool for suppressing rampant trollery (see slashdot) they more often tend to foster an atmosphere of groupthink. People become afraid to go against the status quo for fear of being -karma'd out of sight. At it's worst it swings the other way where people post only things they think will result in positive votes from other members... essentially giving the entire forum over to the practise of karma-whoring rather than the original, intended purpose.

So how to minimise the whole "I can pee further than you can" element while still being able to pin the ribbons on the chests of those who deserve them? Eliminate the points of comparison that are essentially meaningless - post count and join date. Let people's posts stand on their merits - regular readers will soon form an opinion about the quality of various poster's output. In regards to rewarding the veteran posters who give out sage advice day in and day out and deserve a virtual feather in their caps... make them something really special, something that can only be given out by mods, staff or admin - something like a little ribbon graphic teal.gif that has an accompanying title when a user mouses over it like "Awarded for giving great advice." This way people are encouraged to do the right things in order to get the "respect", there are no shortcuts, and the people with the trinkets really are the people who should be listened to.

siganizq4.gif

Well ill admit now that i didn't read all 18 pages, so i may be repeating others, but that just shows that others agree ;).

The poll is quite badly worded. I would have thought that naming the poll "Should the post count stay next to the post or not" Would get a better indication to how people feel. Right now 67% say they should keep it. But that's misleading as 55% of people do not want it next to the post count. Right now it is just a matter of spammers pride to see the numbers going up, up and away. There really is no other need for it.

I'm not too bothered whether the post count goes all together or stays in the profile, i just don't like the idea of it being next to the posts.

for me, it serves as a bit of a trust thing, like if someone is having a big party, so that i'll know that it isnt a hoax

What difference is this to Runescape? There is no post count there for you to judge whether someone is being truthful, just as it should be there. I will also go a step further to predict what you will say, "But you can see peoples combat levels in runescape". Firstly you can usually look people up by their tip it name or there rsn name. Secondly, combat level doesn't make someone trustworthy or not.

Well you joined yesterday, so i can't imagine your going to miss it that much.

So because I might have played the game for eleventy years, but joined this forum 2 weeks ago, my information is less likely to be trusted? If you ask me that's a good reason to remove it

=D> Great way to put it.

I'm not joking in the least. I read another forum that does this- if you make a stupid post, a one-word reply, or one riddled with spelling and grammatical errors, you're banned and that's that. That forum is a delight to read. You know why? There aren't any junk posts. There need to be more moderators here, and they need to be swift and merciless about cutting out spam posts and the people who make them.

Hm, sounds like a good idea, but maybe a policy like this, but with 3 strikes. Not a losely enforced 3 strikes like rs, but a warning that is hidden and mods only can see, you are messaged when you get one. You can get a warning for flaming, spamming or even just saying "This post is spam". 1 strike is a bit harsh lol.

90 Combat 1900+ Total

99 Crafting 99 Cooking 99 Firemaking

99 Herblore 99 Fletching 98 Farming

silverandblackfinishvr8.gif

I've been here long enough but i only use a certain forum therefore my postcount is low and to be honest i couldnt give a damn about it..

Most forums seem to manage quite well with post counts....

Doomster, "most forums" also don't have the kind of traffic we do... and those that DO have that amount of traffic more than likely have a considerably different hardware setup than we do...

Easy enough to run a forum for 500 users with no performance problems at all ;) Perhaps have another look at the stats which Alby posted up earlier in the thread for examples on why this comment of yours is kind of redundant :)

One-time #13 smither.

All-time #1 noob.

And your post is what we call SPAM. You could have messaged on private about that! No wonder people are out to kill the post count!

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

If thats the only reason you care to come to our community , why not just leave now ? I wouldn't miss you ...

There need to be more moderators here, and they need to be swift and merciless about cutting out spam posts and the people who make them.

Finding enough moderators who are trustworthy and dont pose any type of security risk is alot harder then it may seem. On top of that we already get a good handful of users complaining in posts that our moderators are "too strict" or "on a power trip" etc. The even more ridiculous part of it , its usually when they have their signature or avatar removed, which isnt even done by the Moderators.

No , it shows that they have posted alot. It says absolutely nothing about their intelligence, only shows that they have the ability to click and type.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Im sure someone said this already but post count sometimes alerts us to scammers or fakers. If you see a suspicious post, seeing a low post count can help determine these types of things.

limdog.png