Does RuneScape require a graphics card?

d3nic

Hello all.

I recently removed my graphics card from my PC as it died, now I'm using on board graphics - 64MB.

If you have a better graphics card in your pc, will runescape run better?

When you go to play runescape it doesnt say anything about a graphics card.

Thanks

Runescape should work fine, though with a graphics card it will perform better.

I suggest you get one as soon as possible, onboard graphics are never that good to be honest.

Java is CPU driven. The only graphics work your card or onboard graphics will be doing is redrawing the screen as if there was no RS open.

There's a reason it pushes CPU usage to 60%+ and theres no graphics hardware requirment on the loading pages.

Runescape relys entirly on the CPU to process the graphics. This is one reasion why the art is not up to speed with other games like World of Warcraft. If you want to have the best RS excperience then get a fast CPU, internet connection, and update Java.

Yeah runescape does require a graphics card. I don't know if better works nicer for runescape but it does require a graphics card. This message requires one. If you don't believe me, and don't have an onboard card, remove the graphics card and you won't be able to get online. Graphics card displays the screen. But yeah, java is mostly cpu and I still am not fully sure if better graphics card would do anything besides maybe displaying a bit better, maybe.

siggievroom.gif

siggiez.gif

Thank you everybody for rising up against macroing!!!

Yeah runescape does require a graphics card. I don't know if better works nicer for runescape but it does require a graphics card. This message requires one. If you don't believe me, and don't have an onboard card, remove the graphics card and you won't be able to get online. Graphics card displays the screen. But yeah, java is mostly cpu and I still am not fully sure if better graphics card would do anything besides maybe displaying a bit better, maybe.

Since you don't know what your talking about, don't post.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The graphics that RS needs are inherent in almost any video card (whether built onto a motherboard or in an add on card) for about the past 10 years. If you can run Windows 95 on your computer, you can play RS.

By graphics cards, you are talking 3d graphics accelerators and unless there is some parallax calculations going on then no, you don't need a fancy hi-powered 3d graphics card. Keep in mind tho, that if you DO have a fancy high powered video card, that it can do things for the CPU and could possibly speed up Windows on a whole, and thereby make RS faster in the process. But no 3d card should make RS faster without also making the whole system faster.

Basically, what everyone is saying is having a add-in graphics card usually makes Windows faster, but not specifically RS due to the fact that it is run using the Java engine. Java is an "interpreted language" and that in and of itself makes it (RS) slower than other games that are compiled. If you need more clarification, just drop me a line.

Doc

DocHopper.png