the wonderful world of...anime

Nenga

I really liked Neon Genesis Evangelion. Rei FTW

Trinity Blood looks like it might be good. Then again, I've watched a few episodes of it on Adult Swim with my TV on mute, so...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd just like to say i highly dislike the enormous popularity of poorly written junk animes, such as:

(Disclaimer this is just my opinion, don't hate it if you don't like it)

Naruto: The main chars are as far from ninjas as one can possibly get. Seriously. The Japanese people who make this are perpetuating an incorrect stereotype of what a ninja is. The characters are supremely annoying and the english voice acting fails more than Karl Rove.

Dragonball whatever: The plot consists of a boring circle of: peace, invasion by some totally ridiculous villan, training, lots of yelling and ego-bashing, then the good guy turn blond and win. Seriously, Goku spent 4 episodes standing there yelling and charging his big blue ball of doom.

One Piece: Decent, before the children's cartoon company of absolute evil (4-kids) got it's hands on it, turning a half decent show into a pile of poop. Poop with strechy arms.

Inuyasha: Kagome is supposed to be in middle school?! No middle school girl has that...developed. Seriously. Although i think the villans are pretty well-developed, if a bit cheesy. Oh and please stop talking to each other and just fight. Please. also, there is no reason to yell out the name of your attack before you do it. you could win so much easier if you didn't.

the above 4 are also all cliche, overdone, and have voice acting from hell.

And now, the awesome ones:

NGE: Amazing. Although i'm going to write my own episode where i kick shinji in the face. SERIOUSLY YOU PILOT A GIANT ROBOT QUIT BEING SUCH A WHINY LITTLE CHILD. *ahem*

FMA: Only drawback is that i don't like the main characters being so young. And that Al is so whiny occasionally.

-

:o Lurker pops up for the anime thread :P .

I'd have agree with most the above statements. Naruto isn't great, and yes, 4kids did [bleep] up One Piece. Inuyasha isn't unbearably repetitive. Dragonball Z was pretty good though (pretty much the anime of my childhood :o), but GT sucked completely.

NGE got pretty weird at times, but it was definitely good. Death Note was provative- it really tested one's mental abilities, and it added a whole new twist to the idea of a true protaganist. Bleach seems a little overrated, even though I love it; it's big mainly because of the style of fighting in the show (Byakuya vs. Ichigo coming up on Adult Swim :o! Ya'll are guna love that fight). I mean, the fight scenes are some of the best in all of anime... but it compensates a lot for the very slow plot. GITS was a sweet show, like a much cooler version of futuristic novels put into anime/manga format. Really tested one's understanding of the ethical dilemmas and boundaries we're bound to cross in the future, and it was a much more intellectual show. I've tried getting into Blood+ as well, but it gets pretty dull, personally.

FMA, well, don't even think I need to talk about that, kind of a given :mrgreen: .

'Kay, think I'm done; it takes enough time just examining the already dubbed animes :XD: .

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

I think all people who watch anime now started out watching DBZ or watched in there childhood. I haven't found anyone who likes anime now who has not seen DBZ. I agree with you though, GT wasn't that good. Out of the people who like anime at my school, i'm the only one who doesn't like naruto though.

*cracks knuckles*

DBZ

DB

DBGT

Naruto

Sailor moon

Ranma

NGE (and all the films)

Abenobashi

Azumanga Daioh

Lucky Star

Fullmetal Panic (all 3 seasons + ova)

Dokuro Chan

Mai Hime

Chobits

Tokyo mew mew

Happiness!

Initial D

Ikki Tousen

Negima!

Love Hina

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

erm.. thats whats spring to mind.. Anime is pretty much my favourite thing in life.

Tk5SF.png

The only anime TV show I ever liked was Outlaw Star. I watched a couple of episodes of DBZ and GT but i didnt get "into it" if you know what i mean.

Geez, I used to watch Outlar Star on Toonami waaaaaaaay back in the day. I miss those days. And when Adult Swim was pretty much the late-night Toonami before it became stoner central.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Two popular unoriginal shows today are Naruto and Bleach. Naruto = Hunter X Hunter. Bleach = Samurai X.

The only thing is, both Hunter and Kenshin are better.

There was also Bt'X. Or G Gundam (most unique Gundam). Or Yu Yu Hakusho, Bubblegum Crisis, Lupin III, etc.

One thing that disgusts me about anime is all the people pretending to be Japanese. Apparently, after watching some anime, you could be considered Japanese :uhh: :lol:

One thing that disgusts me about anime is all the people pretending to be Japanese. Apparently, after watching some anime, you could be considered Japanese :uhh: :lol:

Oh Dear Lord... you know those anime kids, who watch it so much that they pick up a few Japanese words (me included)? And then, all of a sudden, they start spouting them out randomly... like they think they're cool for it, or think they're Japanese.

And I swear, I'm going to snap the next time I hear a fan-girl say, "That's so KAWAII!". Ack -.- .

Meh, I watched DB and DBZ when I was younger, and caught a bit of Gundam sometimes (that was so awesome back in the day, giant robot things FTW) and Sailor Moon (Ack :oops: ). DBZ was the greatest to me, but it's pretty dang hard to understand sometimes, especially when you're like 8-10 like I was lol. Never seen GT, and I don't really watch anime at all any more.

p2gq.jpg

Nautro...oh dear lord...Some kid wants to be the very best, just like Pokemon...cept worse. -.- Hate these "From nothing -> To everything" type shows.

Death Note, is filled with mystery I'm assuming? If it is, not for me.

The only good one I ever liked ('cept for Pokemon, back in the day where there were only 150 Pokemon, not 50,000 <.<) was Fullmetal.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Death Note, is filled with mystery I'm assuming? If it is, not for me.

It's not really "full of mystery" per se... you know what everyone character's thinking, so there isn't much guessing/"mystery" on the reader/viewers part.

Here's a good synopsis from a Death Note site (one of the ones I used to download a few eps; Youtube sucks for watching anime :-w ):

Misa, L and Raito are three characters from the manga Death Note. The story begins when a high-school student called Yagami Raito found a notebook on his school ground, which is actually a 'Death Note', a book that is normally used by Shinigamis to kill human beings. Raito quickly finds out that he can use the book himself, and begins to experiment its power on a low-life criminal in his home country, Japan. Raito starts to believe that he has the power to kill all of the criminals that he thinks doesn't deserve to live. So he proceeds to kill various criminals from all over the world.

Soon enough, police and other law enforcement authorities are baffled at the amount of criminals who are suddenly found dead from a heart attack. But when rumours from the internet about "Kira", a God who punish criminals to their death, begins to surface, the police suspects that the murder is the work of an individual. The police believes that such vigilante action is unwarranted and dangerous so they decide to find the murderer. In order to help them with the job, they hired a famous investigator known only as "L" to entrap the murderer, who proves in his first day that the murderer needs a name (of the victim) and uses a supernatural method to kill its victims.

A dangerous game of cat and mouse begins between Raito and L, a mind game where losing is not an option since the loser will lose everything. For Raito, he could be sent to jail for the rest of his life or worse, sentenced to death for murder. On the other hand, if Raito manages to find out about L's real name, then L himself will probably find himself dead from a heart attack. To complicate matters, it appears Ratio's Death Note is not the only one, and we are introduced to Misa, a girly girl who posses another of those deadly books and thinks herself in love with "Kira", adding another problem to the already complicated equation.

It's pretty short- only thirty seven episodes, but it's damn good.

I'm not that much of an anime-fan (the guy in my sig is from a video game, not DBZ, by the way). I've seen a couple of them, and there are only a few I've liked. For example, if the plot is only revolving around fighting, romance or comedy, most probably the show will make me sick. In fact, the deeper the anime is, the more I like it, it seems. For example Naruto and Inuyasha are fine, but they have too many comic/filler-episodes.

Not being a real fan, I only watch animes when someone recommends them to me, and that's how I've seen the ones I've liked most, FMA, and recently Death Note.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

dbz was good at the end but when they came out with gt it killed it

agreed, Im still a dbz Fanatic. Im glad the last movie was DBZ and not GT, and am I the only on who liked Fooly Cooly?

EDIT: I read through and remembered a bunch of oldschool animes... Rorouni kenshin (have no idea how to spell =p), Wolfs rain (never eally got into it though), The first gundam season (the newer gundams looked like they were trying to get away from giant robots but could never outrun them :? ), and my favorite was this one anime with 1 dude and like 2 or 3 girls who wanted to mary him... there was this smart one with a holographic laptop.... a beutiful one with generic personality... and i think some demon-type girl with blue hair maybe? in one episode she convinced the beutiful one she and him had an egg lol.... I remember that he ended up leaving the place they lived at and went to school i think and fell in love with someone else and thats were i forget.... oh and the smart girl had a giant aquariam with weird fish

(the guy in my sig is from a video game, not DBZ, by the way).
I know that, in fact chrono trigger is my favorite game. If you find my post on a thread about best video games chrono trigger will on my list (unless it's a FF thread, then i post my favorite FF games)

I know that, in fact chrono trigger is my favorite game. If you find my post on a thread about best video games chrono trigger will on my list (unless it's a FF thread, then i post my favorite FF games)
I coulda sworn that was Tapion from DBZ movie 13: Wrath of the Dragon... But then I watched it again and Tapion has a Mohawk lol

I coulda sworn that was Tapion from DBZ movie 13: Wrath of the Dragon... But then I watched it again and Tapion has a Mohawk lol
Nope that is crono from chrono trigger. It's a great game you should play it, or atleast look at it.

and my favorite was this one anime with 1 dude and like 2 or 3 girls who wanted to mary him... there was this smart one with a holographic laptop.... a beutiful one with generic personality... and i think some demon-type girl with blue hair maybe? in one episode she convinced the beutiful one she and him had an egg lol.... I remember that he ended up leaving the place they lived at and went to school i think and fell in love with someone else and thats were i forget.... oh and the smart girl had a giant aquariam with weird fish

Tenchi Muyo. That was a pretty decent anime.

and my favorite was this one anime with 1 dude and like 2 or 3 girls who wanted to mary him... there was this smart one with a holographic laptop.... a beutiful one with generic personality... and i think some demon-type girl with blue hair maybe? in one episode she convinced the beutiful one she and him had an egg lol.... I remember that he ended up leaving the place they lived at and went to school i think and fell in love with someone else and thats were i forget.... oh and the smart girl had a giant aquariam with weird fish

THANK YOU YOUR MY BEST FRIEND FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been trying to remember all year its been driving me nuts!!!! finally i can rest in peace -fades away-

THANK YOU YOUR MY BEST FRIEND FOR EVER!!!!!!!!!!!! Ive been trying to remember all year its been driving me nuts!!!! finally i can rest in peace -fades away-

I thought Tenchi Muyo was ok too.

A dangerous game of cat and mouse begins between Raito and L, a mind game where losing is not an option since the loser will lose everything. For Raito, he could be sent to jail for the rest of his life or worse, sentenced to death for murder. On the other hand, if Raito manages to find out about L's real name, then L himself will probably find himself dead from a heart attack. To complicate matters, it appears Ratio's Death Note is not the only one, and we are introduced to Misa, a girly girl who posses another of those deadly books and thinks herself in love with "Kira", adding another problem to the already complicated equation.

It's pretty short- only thirty seven episodes, but it's damn good.

It still doesn't...click my interest, even with this more lengthy summary. Perhaps since it's not as a Mystery as I thought I might like it. However, when (if) I'm ever going to say "I'm gonna watch Death Note!" is unknown. :uhh:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Whoah Tenchi Muyo I just rememered that. The only thing I can really remember about it is that he had girls all over him and could turn into this awesome angel thing with a big sword.

p2gq.jpg