Tip.It Times Presents: Some Thoughts on Updates���¢�¢â�š�¬���¦

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Some Thoughts on UpdatesÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâæ

The Editor

I was a bit surprised not to get my weekly update notice from Jagex last week. I must have gone back and refreshed the page several times just to make sure I wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t missing anything. With a tantalizing September "Behind the Scenes" notice the week before, I was expecting all sorts of exciting things, so it was good to read this week that...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

As F2p I was fine with no updates last week, Jagex never said that they'd release a weekly update, only promising to produce at least a monthly one.

I'd much rather have a little less lag, shorted loading times or a sound and graphics update than even a new F2p quest! All these 'under-the-hood' updates benifit everyone much more in the long term than say a new Dragon item. ::'

For example - as I've just found out when I wanted to smelt some Gold Ores-

the Furnaces around the game have been changed graphically and now you can hear the heat of the Furnace as you use it.

calvinandhobbessigedite.png

The Editor

The easiest course to take is often not to upgrade the engine on the existing game, but instead use the new engine to create a new game. It's a good indication of Jagex's commitment to RuneScape that they're undertaking this type of complex engine re-design and enhancement.

According to the Jagex corporate site (http://www.jagex.com/corporate/index.ws), they are currently developing a new game, while at the same time staying committed to the old game. It is my belief that Jagex realizes they can't keep the game interesting enough for higher level people forever, and that they are also trying to attract more people with a new game. Anyway, just thought I'd point out this small inconsistency I noticed, though I liked the article and agree with most of what was said.

Blooblyblobl.gif

Legends quest completed at lvl 47 on X Legendre X

#3056 to 99 firemaking, achieved on July 4th, 2007.

Tied for #1854 to 99 farming, achieved on September 3rd, 2008.

no weekly update is no problem for me, I've durrently spent 1 year and 7 months (to the day, today) waiting for the release of the next beta version of a game (http://www.truecombatelite.net/index.php) and I'm F2p to boot.

but it's good to see that they are taking thier time and working on it instead of just pumping out a pile of junk.

and, in the end, it'll be there. so it takes a few more days, it lets you get much happier than if it was on-schedule every day....

edit for spelling, and added tags to TC:E URL.

Well, having updates every week is alot, I mean, people don't appreciate it enough. And these 'under-the-hood' updates are more important then content updates.

Maybe now they can add new content that they couldn't before or something :D

Well, I am certain The Editor didn't want to aim at it directly, but (s)he said it well. Sometimes the best update is the one we CAN'T :shock: see...

Editor, glad to see you spinning off articles, and I look forward to your next one as well as articles from anyone you can fit in through the next year. :)

~Mr. Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I was a bit surprised not to get my weekly update notice from Jagex last week. I must have gone back and refreshed the page several times just to make sure I wasnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t missing anything. With a tantalizing September "Behind the Scenes" notice the week before, I was expecting all sorts of exciting things, so it was good to read this week that these things are indeed in the pipeline.

The September "Behind the Scenes" was actually quite underwhelming for many of us who bothered to read it. Besides promising many new features for those who have just started playing Runescape, such as Lumbridge guides and improved signposts, the article contains teasers for the upcoming new quests such as:

Can you discover the ancient power hidden behind this wall of slugs, or have the fisherman on the platform just drunk too much ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅrumÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

I know you are tying to be postitive but the september behind the senes was not that great... Next to the august one. But i do like under the hood updates instead of the quest ones most of the time because then new quests that are exciting you need high requierments. But thats just me.

As a mac user i cant listen to music on my low java version, i would like to see that updated.

prospektssigza4.jpg

The September Behind the Scenes didn't look that promising other than the new 'under-the-hood' updates...but still, nice article.

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

What does ROI mean? And... that business about Jagex eventually moving on to a new game... NOOOOOOOOOOO PLEASE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Does this mean they will just shut Runescape down, or simply stop updating it? I think they have an incredible amount of players hooked on their current product, i dont see why they need to take such a huge risk by switching to a new game. I think the key to not getting bored with rs, even at the dizzyingly high levels, is to continue to set goals for yourself. Now that may not be all 99's, since some lvl 99's strike me as being a bit pointless (why would anybody want 99 herblore??? you cant do anything that you couldnt do at level 82!) but anyway, i think getting all 99's in the useful skills could be a nice goal, that you would be in little risk of completing any time soon.

When the editor say (25-30 new quest,new mini-games,and more)...i dont think he right....because a MMORPG game is always IN UPDATE...

You cant say,only THAT number of skill more and Quest more and its over...impossible dudez :wink:

o6mwpk.png

Council.gif.pagespeed.ce.SwBX3DYRXt.gifShinobi

clanFriend.gif DF Forever

{DF Forums} ~ {DF's Memberlist}

First of all, very good article. But it makes you think - how many more years can Jagex continue to improve RS? There are only so many different quest ideas, and, as editor mentioned, there's only so much you can do graphically with a web java application. This won't happen anytime close at hand, but I am expecting Jagex to eventually make RS a downloadable program, that can then be run from your computer while connecting to the internet. It would make the overall game performance better, though might hinder updates for people with either slow internet speeds or people using shared computers (i.e. school, library). I have seen several other MMORPGs as downloads (though, I might add, they have nothing on RuneScape).

perfect grammar is one thing, typing like a drugged monkey and enjoying it is another

AMEN!