Question: Least-Admirable Skill Cape

Lunar_Drifter

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get it because it was easy and cheap. I got it because half of it came with DIY fishing, and leaving it half done is ridiculous :lol:

Get 90+ cooking as a byproduct of fishing and then tell me how easy and fast it is.

i'd say getting the magic skill cape is one of the hardest

Magic is fairly fast and easy these days. Bursts/barrages give a decent exp per hour, which is also an advantageous way to collect charms when used on rock lobs.

And that's the expensive option. Last I checked you could even profit from some of the slower ones.

Get 90+ cooking as a byproduct of fishing and then tell me how easy and fast it is.

Making things harder by your own choices isn't in my opinion a factor to choose wether a skill is hard or not. In my opinion that's comparable to saying that lighting a cigarette is hard because you had to find right kind of stones or wood pieces and work hard to create fire. Your way of doing it is hard, but there's an easier alternative that requires minimal or no investments at all. In other words the skill itself isn't too bad if you do it on the basic way, but there is always the harder path to choose too. If we start to count in methods that make the skill artificially harder, we are soon in a situation where every skill is nearly impossible to get to 99.

i'd say getting the magic skill cape is one of the hardest

I'd say you're wrong. Unless you use methods that are ridicilous, you won't be losing too much money on it. Timewise it is, even at worst, relatively fast still. Does it require attention? In most cases not. For me, after 23,5m mage xp on my main and 7,8m on my nub, I'd say magic is an average skill. It isn't anything comparable to cooking, fletching or such, but it definitely is nothing compared to RC, agi or slayer for example.

On an average, 99 magic can be gotten without a huge bank, years of playing or billions of clicks. You have alternatives to it depending on your wealth and activity levels and even at worst sane ways it doesn't cost, take or require too much. I'd rate the following skills harder:

slayer = Even if you had money to spend and had trained some skills beforehand, it would still be dirty slow.

RC = Mentally the hardest: not too much variety and a lot of clicks. The speed doesn't help at all.

Construction = Cost factors make it really slow for Annie Average.

Prayer = Same words.

Summoning = Same words, except you also need other skills to train it properly.

Agility = Repetitive and even at tops it's rather slow, at least when compared to magic.

Herblore = Feel like wasting 200m?

Smithing = If you want to waste X amount of time and Y amount of gp in this and magic, you will end up having higher smithing than magic.

Hunter = Competition for spots and constant attention requirement...

Of course magic is easier than fishing, woodcutting, fletching and cooking for example, but it has a really long way to go to the "top" on this competition.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

Making things harder by your own choices isn't in my opinion a factor to choose wether a skill is hard or not. In my opinion that's comparable to saying that lighting a cigarette is hard because you had to find right kind of stones or wood pieces and work hard to create fire. Your way of doing it is hard, but there's an easier alternative that requires minimal or no investments at all. In other words the skill itself isn't too bad if you do it on the basic way, but there is always the harder path to choose too. If we start to count in methods that make the skill artificially harder, we are soon in a situation where every skill is nearly impossible to get to 99.

Actually it's more like doing a master+ quest with a guide and complaining about how easy it was. If course it's going to be easy if everything you need and the proper method is laid out before you. That applies to every skill. And to be funny honest the game is laughably easy if you factor out the methods that make skills harder.

Plus it's hardly artificial. If the goal is to get 99 everything then it's a waste to fish to 99 only to buy back the supplies later. It's no different than using slayer for charms instead of bursting rock lobsters.

The main point I was trying to make was that not everyone got it to get a fast, easy 99 like the guy said, though. :lol:

Well I Only Have Two Skillcapes And Those Are Woodcutting And Fletching. Now I Must Admit That Fletching Was Alot Easier Than Woodcutting And I Do Think That Is It Alot Easier Than Others, But In My Opinion Cooking Would Have To Be The Least Admirable Skillcape. One Thing I Have Noticed Though Is The Ever Increasing Number Of Untrimmed Stregnth Capes, So That Might Also Be Losing Admiration But Not As Much As Cooking Has.

200812192143.jpg

Proud To Have Once Owned An Untrimmed Agility Cape

Plus it's hardly artificial. If the goal is to get 99 everything then it's a waste to fish to 99 only to buy back the supplies later. It's no different than using slayer for charms instead of bursting rock lobsters.

Depends on cases. In my eyes it can also be a sign of inefficiency. Lets say you catch monkfish with an average speed of 300 fish (45k xp) per hour. This means that from lvl 80 to 99 you have to catch (13034431-1986068)/120 = 92,070 fish. At 300/h this takes you roughly 305 hours and you'd have materials for

160*73656 = 11,784,960 cooking xp, in other words you'd be at least really close to 99. By 200k cook xp/h (1250 fish) it will take you roughly 60 hours to cook them. In other words you've worked for 305+60 = 365 hours. Lets say you burn 1k fish between 80 and 90 (3360k xp to do) before you stop burning. This means that in the end you have roughly 91k cooked monkfish which equals for 44,3m in ge with today's mid price.

Now lets say you do barbarian rod fishing at average at 55k/fish xp per hour. In order to get from lvl 80 to 99, you waste roughly 200 hours here. This means you have 105 hours to earn the money for cooking. Lets say you do one nature rune trip per minute with graahk and craft 43 ess (not including the largest pouch) per run. I haven't counted in the time used for fixing pouches: in the end we'd also get extra nats per ess. 105 hours = 6300 minutes = 6300 runs to altar. Notice that you'd get to lvl 75 during this, which would allow you to use the largest pouch and make it even faster. From lvl 50 to lvl 75 you'd need to craft (1210421-101333)/9 = 123,232 essences. That means 2865 runs, leaving you 6300-2865=3435 runs with a large pouch. For efficiency reasons I'd leave the 2nd smallest pouch out and get 3+9+12+25=49 essences per run.

from lvl 50 to 75: 2865*43 = 123 195 nature runes

from lvl 75 to the end of time cap = 49*3435 = 168 315 nature runes

total = 291 510 nature runes = 2 623 590 rc xp.

pure ess today = 124gp mid

nature rune today = 260gp mid

profit = 291510 * (260-124) = 39,64m profit

ending lvl = 83

So in other words you'd sacrifice roughly 8m profits (remember lossings from buying raw and selling cooked) for 2,6m rc xp. You'd be 105 hours closer to double nature runes and 105 hours closer to a new 99. Which method is more efficient? If your goal is to get 99 in everything, you definitely avoid being a DIY player OR you will have a lot longer path to walk.

Not to mention that if we look cooking for example... From lvl 74 (not burning lobs) to lvl 99 you need a bit under 99,5k lobsters. With today's mid prices that means you'd lose 6,56 million gp and at 1250 fish per hour it would take you roughly 80 hours. If you make 500k/h (which doesn't require too much work) you'd spend roughly 93 hours on getting the money and cooking the fish. Just compare it to those rc calculations and you should notice something: in 105 hours you went from lvl 50 rc to lvl 83 and in 12 hours shorter period you went from lvl 74 cooking to lvl 99 cooking without gp losses.

OR if we compare that fish+cook combo you suggested. We've already counted the 365 hours for the whole packet. Lets compare it to rc:

- from lvl 50 to 75 it took us 2865 minutes, aka 47 hours 45 minutes.

- As we only care about xp, we decide to go to ZMI and start hoarding 40k xp per hour.

- From lvl 75 to lvl 99 there's 13034431-1210421 = 11,824,010xp

- At the rate of 40k/h it takes us roughly 295 hours.

Timewise they are quite equal, however fish+cook gives 2 skills whereas these calculations give only 1. HOWEVER clickwise the things aren't this simple.

from lvl 50 to lvl 75 doing those natures like we originally calculated

- 2865*3 = 8595 clicks used to put things into your pouches.

- 2865 times you right click your graahk and 2865 click teleport = 5730 clicks

- 2865*2 = 5730 times you press "use quickly" at the bank (once to fill pouches, 2nd time to fill inventory)

- 2865*2 = 5730 you close the bank

- 2865*2 = 5730 times you withdraw items

- 2865*2 = 5730 times you click the nature altar (once to craft from your inv, once from emptying pouches.

- 2865*3 = 8595 times you withdraw things from your pouches

- 2865 tmes you click the mystical ruins to get in.

- 2865 times you teleport away.

= over 51k clicks just on those. Add in running from telespot to altar and from other telespot to bank, changing tele gear, etc and you get quite a few clicks.

Then fish+cook combination using monks.

- Lets say it takes you 1,5 clicks to get from fish spot to bank. Sometimes it takes 2 clicks if the other spot is far away, sometimes it's one click. As you have 27 empty inventory slots, you have to do 92k/27*1.5 clicks, equaling for roughly 5110.

- You have to click 92k/27 = 3400 times to fish after banking.

- If your spot changes location 5 times per inventory, you have to click 5*3400=17k times

- Cooking takes you 92k/28 = 3285 clicks to open bank, another 3285 to deposit fish, 3285 to take new ones and 3285 to close the bank.

- 3285 times you click a lobster and then a fire. 3285 Times you press "cook all".

= A bit over 45k clicks.

In other words during fish and cook you click roughly 124 times per hour to achieve a double 99. During lvl 50-75 rc you click almost 1070 times per hour. I'd also like to remind you that during fish+cook you don't have to pay almost any attention: your speed doesn't drop a lot if you talk in cc/irc/game or write this kind of things while skilling. However during RC your speed does drop: when your click rate is that high, it starts to matter if every click delays by a second for example.

edit: I know there's a huge change of some calculation mistakes or over/under estimations, but the point is to show the idea instead of get exact figures.

signaturehoh.jpg

I'd rather die for what I believe in than live for anything else.

Name Removed by Administrator ~Turtlefemm

• 2 weeks later...

I can speak from two standpoints:

My first cape was fletching, which, contrary to popular belief was not easy for me to get: at that time I hardly hardly any gold, but really enjoyed training it. After months of laboring, I got 99. I'm still most proud of it, out of my three 99's.

The second skill I maxed out was woodcutting, long before ivies were released. This took at least four times as long as fletching, but I can hardly say I was that much prouder of it. Cooking, on the other hand, was so easy, cheap, and SO FAST that I hardly even consider it a 99: it took me like a week and only a few mil to get. It was a joke, not that I disrespect other people that have the cape.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

• 2 weeks later...

Fletching, lol if you have somewhere between 500mil and 1bil you can get it in an afternoon without looking at the computer for more than 5mins.

Make X arrows. enter, walk away

There is no fletch-x for arrows, just fletch-10.

Do you think that the Dungeoneering Cape (true mastery, level 120) will lessen the achievements of some of the more impressive skill capes such as Slayer and the likes? I'm thinking that some of those with the level 120 cape will look down on others who are proud of their Slayer Cape and think, "Meh, mine took 10x the experience that they have invested in that cape.." leading them to think "Stop bragging about your cape!"

Or those who don't have the cape will look to those who have Slayer Capes and say "that's not as impressive as Dungeoneering..."

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

fletching. so cheap and quick its all you ever see anymore. 99firemakers are admired for having a very high level of patience since you do almost nothing while training.

Tell me about it ! Im 85 Firemaking and its gonna be a HELL lot of boring time for 99 >.>

Im also gettin 99 Mage right now so dont flame me for bein nub or anything :^_^:

Rainbow_Dude.png

Having not obtained any skill capes myself so far, i cannot really comment on the relative difficulties. However, i would certainly say that cooking is probably the easiest skill cape to acheive, closely followed by fletching. Heck, it took me 2 weeks to get 84 fletch so somehow i dont see the 99 being very hard (not that im going for it).

Malcazaar.png

personally I find all skill capes to be equally admirable. Then again my account is eight years old and doesn't have a single 99 -shrug-

When I finally get a skill cape regardless of the skill I will wear it proudly and if someone tells me the cape is nooby I shall simply reply "This is my (skill name) skill cape! There are many like it but this one is mine! I shall wear it when I want, where I want, and how I want to!"

nuc_sol.png

I'd say Cooking is the least admirable. I think Fletching is still pretty admirable, because it actually takes a lot of time if you do yew longs. For me the most admirable has to be Herblore. Runner up is Fishing (partially because I'm getting it myself :D)

Player_666.png

Player_666.png

Cooking and Fletching top the list. Firemaking to a certain extent is not that admirable because it is cheap and easy to level, so long as you can concentrate.

Runecrafting and Slayer are the most admirable because both take a lot of time to get.

Dungeoneering, at least for the next couple of months. ;)

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png