Tip.It Times Presents: Jagex and Emergent Gameplay

Kiara_Kat

This week's Tip.It Times has been released. Feel free to discuss the article or post any comments. If you have any criticism, please make sure it's constructive! :D

Jagex and Emergent Gameplay

Pault & The Editor

We've got something a little different for you this week. Tip.It Community Members often submit articles which are too short to be a complete editorial, but are otherwise excellent. We've decided to run some of these occasionally, with additional content and comments from The Editor appended to them. A sort of two-for-one special. For the...

Click here to read the rest of this article.

Remember, the SEARCH button is your friend. Use it!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most thing like this in runescape are seen as bug abuse, which it would be becuase jagex sees this as an advantage to the players who know how to do these things, sometimes even giving plays a quick route to a lvl 99 skill.

I liked the part about the wilderness made me think as soon as i get 126 combat pures asre useless against me lol.

(Third post!!! :shock: )

mithmwccape,nashy19.gif

nashy19.gif

mypet.jpg Click the image to pat my pet!

Has this guy even played RS1 or RS2? Looks like he copy and pasted 10 peoples comments and stuck them together. Rubbish article, try playing the games and doing research before posting something like this. And who the hell is this editor? talking down about RS2 and up about WoW lol.

I just read this again, "Pault" and the editor have no idea what they are talking about, if I saw something like this on the front page of another fansite I would laugh and close the webpage.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

Was a very enjoyable read and I feel Jagex should take note from this... they could learn alot I was very disappointed when RS2 was released and the combat changed. I was a strength pure at the time and so when I played RS2 I was rendered useless. However now I feel the combat system is more just as I've become a bit of a skiller.

Sig.jpg

interesting read, i think runescape contains its own type of emergant gameplay, like finding safespots at barrows, new strategies to kq, i mean jagex doesn't think of strategies to fight monsters really.

Emergent gameplay + runescape = Totally cool!

I cannot see what's wrong with this kind of gameplay, for example, in a Game called Gunz that is a Third person shooter with a mix of rpg according to the creators there are "styles", like the famous "K-Style" or "Korean-style" that involves doing moves only possible by doing attacks in middle of a jump dash and change weapon to shoot with a shootgun instead of a quick slash of your sword. AAll this was created with the developing and investigation about the game commands by the players and thet is what it makes it fun! So why Jagex wants to put with their iron fist the not so new and kinda bored not creative gameplay... I mean, we got luck of doing things like the "egg roll" or magic tricks with the books.

Anyways as a wise man called Monty Python said time ago: "Nobody expects the spanish Inquisition."

firmatemplariokz5.jpg

http://darkluniux.blogspot.com

Behold my blog! Thou shalt visit it and rejoice!

Has this guy even played RS1 or RS2? Looks like he copy and pasted 10 peoples comments and stuck them together. Rubbish article, try playing the games and doing research before posting something like this. And who the hell is this editor? talking down about RS2 and up about WoW lol.

Have you? Actually I think your name sounds familiar from RSC. But maybe you could point out why it seems that this author never played RSC or RS2 so you don't sound so unintelligent.

Very cool article. I never really thought about pures like that. Pures and stakers are the only thing that are keeping RSC *somewhat* alive to this day. I think playing on my pures and staker back on RSC was probably the most fun I've had in a video game ever. And Jagex spoiled it for me, among many many others.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

very good article i enjoy hiding loop holes in game (not always RS) but yea if runescape let there be some loop whole i guess it could not be harmful but what i would not want to see is a game were they don't fix loop hole but make bad upgrade so there are a ton of loop holes. I mean i think half the fun is finding one performing it and having people question you of how to do it. \'

Good article only thing i don't like is that there are (in my opinion) to many references to other games. I play Runescape because it is different form other games i don't want it turning into those games. :shame:

But i will say congrats a nice read and a good point of view different from my own. (I Love ppl's opinions!)

~Playing with eyes glued to the screen~

~gantail

P.S this is my first long response lol

Reffing.png

Have you? Actually I think your name sounds familiar from RSC. But maybe you could point out why it seems that this author never played RSC or RS2 so you don't sound so unintelligent.

Very cool article. I never really thought about pures like that. Pures and stakers are the only thing that are keeping RSC *somewhat* alive to this day. I think playing on my pures and staker back on RSC was probably the most fun I've had in a video game ever. And Jagex spoiled it for me, among many many others.

Yes I have played WoW, RS1, RS2 ALOT so i'm not like this guy who is just talking out his [wagon] about nothing.

He talks about how runescape1 was "humerous", he is talking as if the game is a joke or something, regardless of the intentions of the creation of this game it should be respected and not laughed at. He knows nothing about how "pures" came about in rs1, and the only thing humerous is his perception of such things.

Now he starts talking about RS2 being more balanced, with the pvp triangle, and how they "destroyed" emergent gameplay, when he is just too foolish to see it hasn't gone away, it has just changed, another reason showing he knows nothing about RS2. Balance doesn't mean loss of creativity, it means the creativity will be more balanced. He says about the hard work of creative gamers being thrown away, a couple of people created the pure and experimenting, it caught on, everyone started doing it, this is nothing to do with hard work, if that is hard work he should try having a job or going to school or something which involves real hard work. And then he trashes RS2 wilderness, is this guy level 20 and just lost his full set of bronze in his first encounter with the wilderness? He trashes RS2 wild again, he recognizes the emergent gameplay in RS2 yet still trashes it in the tone he talks about it with, saying RS2 is sterilized.

Now the editor hasn't even played WoW and is talking about their "friends", and gives us a lecture about how little kids play RS2 more than they play WoW, whilst telling us that immature things are accepted in WoW but would not be tollerated in RS2. Their comment about the pricing is also laughable, have they even looked at the pricing and compared the two games prices?

Why are they trashing the fact that Jagex are looking after the game and keep boundaries and rules, and enforcing them, truly amazing.

And that is why this article is ridiculous.

Lowgravity, I want to be just like you. But...I never will be as 1337 as you. :(

I do feel that Jagex may have remved some emergent gameplay but, i think that creating a pure for pking then killing everyone in the wilderness requires no real tactics and is kinda stupid, whhy should people who have spent a long time leveling up all their skills be beaten by someone who has taken half as much time to level.

A good article with some interesting thoughts. Unfortunately the article concentrated too much on the combat aspect of the game saying how "emergent gameplay" was being stifled by Jagex. What the author and editor did not consider is that ther is already a large area of "emergent gameplay" in RS. This is the area of merchanting and especially rares which is definately not what Andrew considered when he created the game.

A good read overall I agree that jagex can sometimes be a little tight with the riens on there baby. But when you have a private business thats your right. We all come to play the game and we just have to deal with the rules as they are or go elsewhere.

lonew0lf

I miss you Justice my angel on earth and now in heaven " quem di diligunt, adolescens moritur " for whom the gods love die young. April 6th 2005 - February 17th 2009

yeah like in blackjack the card counters thay dont cheat that just beat the casnio because card counting it following the rules only a smart way of playin

DoD:S ownage

what we have here is a ..um.. failur to communcate

check out my steam ID page @ alpha company

an interesting article. i didn't really get the definition of emergent game-play, but i understood the rest of the article. but still no clues to who the editor is... :-k

Nairb168.gif

Retired from runescape. I will be on every now and then though. :)

Intresting acticle. :thumbsup:

"A time comes when silence is betrayal" MLKJ

Speak your mind, but be civil.

Get mad, but do not rage.

Do unto others as you would want done to yourself.

"]doughnutt.jpg

Follow the doughnut to my blog! :D