The bible

Notorious_Ice

[hide=]

you could go back in time and kill your own grandfather; if you returned however, you would have no parents and no history. To be alive you dont have to have parents, you just have to have been born from them at one point, time travel makes you exist in a different way basically.

But if your grandfather died you would of never been born to time travel.

If T.V. has taught us anything, its that if you do that, you'll still live, realise that he could not possibly be your grandfather, and you'd become your own granfather.

But yeah, theres a paradox. For one, if you kill your grandfather, you don't exsist. If you don't exsist, you never went back in time to kill your grandfather. Since your grandfather never died, you can exsist. Since you exsist, you went back in time...

See? It just continually loops.

No, because once you went back in time, you exist in both times. After you kill your grandfather, if you travel forward in time, the you that was their is dead, but you are still alive. Your parents never existed, but you'd still be there. No one would remember you.

[/hide]

exactly

to make an analogy

lets say you see a rock that was made by a volcano. the rocks existence is no longer dependant on the volcano, if the volcano goes inactive the rock will still exist. Similairly, if you go back in time you already exist, taking out the means of making you doesnt matter because you already exist seperate of that timeline.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets say you see a rock that was made by a volcano. the rocks existence is no longer dependant on the volcano, if the volcano goes inactive the rock will still exist. Similairly, if you go back in time you already exist, taking out the means of making you doesnt matter because you already exist seperate of that timeline.

The volcano didn't go inactive before the rock was created.

You're kind of making things up when you assume that going back in time somehow exempts you from the effects of your past. You go back in time. Assuming that if and when you return it is at a time significantly later than you left--say a month--during that month you are absent from the "current" time. Your parents are going "Oh no where's Johnny?!?!" You--not a somehow different you than the one in 2009--exist in the past. If you kill your grandfather, you never existed to travel to the past to kill him in the first place. But you do exist and you do kill him. But that means you don't exist. Paradox.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record in the middle of this, but there's a reason the Grandfather Paradox exists. If some random dude on an internet forum could disprove it there wouldn't be such a hypothetical paradox.

And I have no idea what this has to do with the Bible, but it's more interesting.

p2gq.jpg

[hide=]

You're kind of making things up when you assume that going back in time somehow exempts you from the effects of your past. You go back in time. Assuming that if and when you return it is at a time significantly later than you left--say a month--during that month you are absent from the "current" time. Your parents are going "Oh no where's Johnny?!?!" You--not a somehow different you than the one in 2009--exist in the past. If you kill your grandfather, you never existed to travel to the past to kill him in the first place. But you do exist and you do kill him. But that means you don't exist. Paradox.

I don't mean to sound like a broken record in the middle of this, but there's a reason the Grandfather Paradox exists. If some random dude on an internet forum could disprove it there wouldn't be such a hypothetical paradox.

And I have no idea what this has to do with the Bible, but it's more interesting.

[/hide]

If I go back in time and instantly kill myself(through fire or something completely destructive) I will disappear from the historical record wherever I traveled from correct?

Now to apply to grandfather

If I go back in time the linear historical me stops existing. If I remove the mechanism that created me, there is no force to end my existence. My existence no longer makes "logical" sense, but I would still exist as someone without parents. The volcano doesnt need to be around for the rocks it made to stay around, once my body is made I can go wipe out how it was made without suffering literal consequences.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

[hide=]

[/hide]

If I go back in time and instantly kill myself(through fire or something completely destructive) I will disappear from the historical record wherever I traveled from correct?

Now to apply to grandfather

If I go back in time the linear historical me stops existing. If I remove the mechanism that created me, there is no force to end my existence. My existence no longer makes "logical" sense, but I would still exist as someone without parents. The volcano doesnt need to be around for the rocks it made to stay around, once my body is made I can go wipe out how it was made without suffering literal consequences.

First, if you're talking about killing the you that time traveled then nothing would happen to the timeline you're supposed to be in. Dying in the past doesn't change the fact that you're gone. If you mean killing your past self, the same paradox applies.

The volcano analogy still doesn't work because we're talking about the volcano being inactive before it created those rocks. You're saying that the rocks can still exist after the volcano goes inactive. Well, duh. But they can't exist if the volcano went inactive before it created them. And that is what we're dealing with if you go back in time and destroy the means of your creation.

Yes, the you that exists in the linear timeline disappears when you travel to any different time. I said that myself. Say you traveled back in time to five minutes ago. Spend five minutes in the past, and you're back to the point that you traveled back in time and once again only one of you exists. If you somehow died in those five minutes, the "past" you would never return once he traveled. If you killed the past you in those five minutes, paradox. You just stopped yourself from traveling back in time, which mean you can't exist.

You say that because you stop existing in 2009 there aren't any consequences for destroying the means of your creation. Since you don't exist. But the you that shows up in the past didn't spontaneously generate. He came from somewhere. He's you. You left the timeline at one point and reentered at another. Killing your grandfather, your father, yourself prevents you from doing that leaving and reentering.

"once my body is made I can go wipe out how it was made without suffering literal consequences" suggests to me that you're still thinking to linearly. It would be once your body is made if you killed your grandfather in the present. Killing him in the past is before it was made.

p2gq.jpg

In my opinion, the bible is just nothing more than a storybook which biographs the life of a human who claimed himself to be the son of some great figure in the sky, and it teaches us moral values.

Yet, people don't abide by them, but they snap to their flawed religion's defence when the truth appears.

It was written with good intentions, but people adapted religion to suit their own means. I mean, at first, Christian societies abided by the commandment saying "thou shalt not kill"; then, the Pope changed the law, justifying killing if it was on a crusade to rape Muslims and steal their land. It's called "Holy war".

Of course, the good intentions hardly apply these days. The Old Testament is about as relevant to modern life as...actualy it's in a class of its own. Jesus undoubtedly had some nice (but impracticle) ideas about morality, but being the son of God and performing miracles was just a myth that grew up around him.

If absolute power corrupts absolutely, where does that leave God?