A Guide to Hunting Waterfiends

oxidation83

Why Hunt Waterfiends in the first place?

Simply put, they are the fastest economical means for gathering Crimson charms. They drop charms on around 90% of kills, the vast majority of them being Crimson. The only faster charm collection method I'm aware of is Ice Bursting or Barraging at Rock Lobsters, which is very expensive.

Crimsons are fast xp to level on, and you can alch the pouches or trade them in for shards to offset a good chunk of the cost. Some of the pouches even sell on the Grand Exchange to people alching for mage levels or looking for cheaper shards.

Sections

1. Required Levels

2. Choosing a Weapon

3. Selecting Your Armor

4. Inventories

5. Getting There

6. Fighting

7. For the 88+ Summoner

8. Dharoking *Under Construction*

9. Drop Log

[hide=Required Levels]Being a fairly high leveled monster, fairly high levels are required to effectively hunt them. You must also complete the Barbarian Firemaking Training to access the Ancient Cavern. There are some in the Chaos Tunnels, but trying to fight these in multicombat is insanity, a death wish, or both.

Minimum Requirements

80 Attack and Strength They have high defense and HP, you need at least this to make them worth your time.

70 Magic (80 if using Void) The higher your magic level, the better your natural magic defense.

70 Range and Defense Required to wear Karils armor (not needed if using Void).

70 Prayer Anything less and you will just be wasting Prayer Potions.

Recommended

90 Attack and Strength

80 Magic (90 if using Void)

68 Summoning Bunyips are absolutely awesome here. On top of their usual awesome healing abilities, Waterfiends drop raw lobsters and sharks and the special allows you to eat them without having to cook them first.[/hide]

[hide=Choosing a Weapon]Waterfiends are incredibly resistant to Slash and Stab attacks, meaning that your trusty old whip will fail if you try using it here; you need a good crushing weapon instead. After much experimentation, I have come to agree with the majority of hunters who say that the Saradomin Sword is indeed the optimum weapon for these. Its quite expensive though, so Ive come up with a list of alternatives in order of preference.

The Godsword* ONLY if you are using Void Melee

Pros: High attack and strength bonuses, high prayer bonus, no need for a spec weapon

Cons: MUST have void melee to use it effectively, can only train strength

Specs: SGS > AGS or BGS > ZGS

Saradomin Sword

Pros: Whip speed, high strength bonus, +2 prayer bonus

Cons: fairly expensive, lower attack bonus, can only train strength

Zamorakian Spear

Pros: Whip speed, less expensive, higher attack bonus than SS

Cons: extremely difficult to buy*, low strength bonus, can only train on controlled

Verac's Flail

Pros: very cheap, highest attack bonus, can train any stat, +6 prayer bonus

Cons: slow speed, low strength bonus

Barrelchest Anchor

DO NOT USE THIS. EVER. SERIOUSLY.

It's the same speed as a godsword and has worse stats. There is absolutely no reason to use this as anything other than a spec weapon.

Spec Weapons: The king here is the Saradomin Godsword. Its ability to recover both HP and Prayer is put to full use fighting these. ~100m is a bit pricey for a spec weapon though. So if you arent one of the lucky few to own one, both the Granite Maul and Dragon Mace are quite effective and cheap. Realistically, you can use anything with a worthwhile spec and a crush setting, so feel free to experiment a bit.

*Because the Void sets bonus is a percentage, it has a greater effect on the higher stats of a godsword than the other weapons. This makes up for the slow speed. If you dont have or cant use the void set, do not use a godsword.[/hide]

[hide=Selecting Your Armor]If you have the Void Melee set, this is a place where it really shines. It has a pretty high magic defense and the full set bonus is the closest thing you can get to a Black Mask that works against everything. The magic defense isnt as high as Karils set, however, so youll need a fairly high Magic level yourself to use it effectively. This is the setup that I use, and as you might expect given its effect, I've been getting about 10% more charms per trip since I switched.

Sample Void Setup

WaterfiendVoid.jpg

If you dont have the Void set or the Magic level to use it, youll want armor that maximizes your magic defense. If you dont have Karils, get it. Black dragonhide has substantially less magic defense and is a very distant second.

Sample Karil's Setup (Ignore the nooby Combat Bracelet and convince yourself that it's really Barrows Gloves.)

WaterfiendKaril.jpg

Helm*: Dwarven Helm > Neitiznot Helm or Bearhead

Neck: Fury >> All

Top: Karils >> All

Legs: Karils >> All

Cape: Trimmed Skillcape or Fire Cape > Mage Arena God Cape

Gloves: Best RFD Gloves or Combat Bracelet

Ring: Berserker > Seers

Boots: Dragon > Infinity

The Dwarven Helm offers better defense and a Crush attack bonus while Neitiznot offers a Prayer and Strength bonus.

Fury and Karils are so much better than Glory and Black dhide that its really not worth considering going without them. Im going to assume that if youre training Summoning you have a good bit of cash at your disposal or have these items already.

Use a Berserker Ring if you have it, or Seers if you dont. Failing that, take a Ring of Life. After keeping detailed statistics Ive concluded that Ring of Wealth is pretty much useless.

Dragon Boots offer a strength bonus while Infinity offer better defense. In general, offense is better than defense.

Ive tried using the full Guthan method and didnt like it very much. Using Piety, you suck down potions faster and dont really get any more charms.

*Thanks to Laura0077 for suggesting the Dwarven Helm and Cantristenon for the Bearhead.[/hide]

[hide=Inventories]The inventories are different based on your summoning level. If you already have 68, you'll be able to use Bunyips to make your trip last about twice as long.

Inventory for the 88+ Summoner

See section below for inventories and strategies.

Inventory for the 68-87 Summoner

WaterfiendFam.jpg

Spec Weapon

3 Pineapple Pizzas

8 Prayer Potions

2 Super Attack

2 Super Strength

Games Necklace

1-dose Summoning Potion

2 Bunyip Pouches

Also bring about 50 scrolls if you dont have a SGS.

Once summoned, your familiar will stay out for the duration of its timer regardless of whether or not you have any summoning points left. When you need to use your 2nd pouch, just take 1 dose of Summoning Potion and summon it.

Inventory for No Healing Familiar

WaterfiendNoFam.jpg

Spec weapon

1 Super Attack

1 Super Strength

Games Necklace

4 Prayer Potions

16 Pineapple Pizzas

4 Salmon/Trout/Tuna

The lower healing food is meant to be used quickly to clear room for charms and other drops.

Theres a mini-obelisk just north of the Games Necklace teleport spot to recharge your Summoning. Also, as you will be running past a Brutal Green Dragon, you might want to bring an Anti-dragon Shield. I just put on Protect from Magic as this offers protection from the dragons mage attack and partial defense against its dragonbreath.

*If you are using food to heal, it would be a good idea to take a sip of Antifire Potion in the bank and use Protect from Magic on the way past the dragon. If you're using a Bunyip to heal you dont need to bother with the potion as any damage you take on the way in is really irrelevant.

A Quick Word on Pineapple Pizzas

These are really the best food you can bring here. They pack 22 HP of healing into 1 slot, are cheaper than Sharks, and are easier to make that Tuna Potatoes. Arhein on the Catherby dock will sell up to 40 Pineapples per day for a measly 2gp each. The Warriors Guild shop sells Plain Pizzas for 200gp each. All you have to do is buy some of each, cut the Pineapples into slices, and add them to the Plain Pizzas.

*Thanks to totalpwnage for this useful tip.[/hide]

[hide=Getting There]This is a relatively simple process. Rub your Games Necklace and head on over to the Barbarian Outpost. If youre bringing Bunyips and need to recharge your summoning points, run about a screen to the north to the mini-obelisk. To get to the cavern, go south onto the dock with the whirlpool at the end of it. Click on the whirlpool to jump in.

RouteToWhirlpool.jpg

Blue Dot - Games Necklace Teleport Spot

Yellow Route - Route to mini-obelisk to recharge Summoning Points if needed

Red Route - Route to the whirlpool

Once inside, youll be on a safe landing with no monsters. Sip your Super Attack and Strength potions and activate Protect from Magic here. Run down the staircase and immediately to the west. Make sure you get far enough away from the dragon so that you are no longer in combat with it. Your prayer will give you partial protection from the dragonfire should he use it.

RouteInsideCavern.jpg

Once you get to the area by the end of the arrow, stay there until the monsters are no longer aggressive. If you go away from there, you can be attacked by a skeleton with a fairly powerful melee attack.[/hide]

[hide=Fighting]Waterfiends use two different attacks: range and magic. The range attack looks like a cyan arrow and the mage attack looks kind of like the Water Strike spell. Their max hit with either one is somewhere around 11-12, but they use range much more often. For that reason, youll be using the Protect from Missiles prayer and wearing the high magic defense gear outlined above.

You need to make sure that your weapon is always set to crush mode. As stated earlier, they are highly resistant to other attack styles. This is especially relevant when switching between the Dragon Mace and Saradomin Sword or Zamorakian Spear.

WepChange.jpg

As youre bringing 1 dose of stat boosters for every prayer potion, take a sip of these every time you start a new prayer pot; dont wait until they completely run out.[/hide]

[hide=For the 88+ Summoner]If you have access to Unicorns, there are really two viable ways to fight these depending on personal preference. You can either take the economical route, which is a bit slower, or use Piety and increase both speed and cost.

Economical Method

Inventory

UniLong.jpg

4 Super Attack

4 Super Strength

8 Prayer Potions

1 Summoning Potion (at least 2 doses)

3 Unicorn Stallion Pouches

~400 Healing Aura scrolls

Games Necklace

Fighting

Unicorns don't heal quite enough to just not pray the entire time. You don't have to pray the whole time either. So, if you have enough of your spec bar to use a scroll and you're near full health, turn range prayer off. Try to take a sip of your stat boosters about every 10 minutes. I find it helpful to use your familiar's timer to keep track.

Fast Charms Method

***In order to make this method possible, you need at least 90+ Defense and Magic.***

Inventory

UniPiety.jpg

1 Super Attack

1 Super Strength

1 Saradomin Brew

~100 Healing Aura scrolls

1 Super Restore

11 Prayer Potions

4 Shark or Pineapple Pizza

1 Unicorn Stallion pouch

Games Necklace

1 dose each: Saradomin Brew, normal Restore, Super Attack, Super Strength

Fighting

This method is a radical departure from what I've mentioned so far. You will not be using any protection prayers at all. Instead, you'll be relying on a combination of Saradomin Brews, Piety, and your Unicorn. The Brew is mainly there in place of a Super Defense; it's not really a source of healing.

While at the bank before you begin, withdraw the entire inventory shown above. Take 1 dose each of the Sara Brew, Restore, Super Attack/Strength in that order and deposit the empty vials or remaining potion, then head out as normal. Once you get there, run past the Brutal Green with Mage prayer on as usual, but once you get far enough away, flip that off and activate Piety while your fighting them. Re-boost your stats once every 10 minutes: Sara Brew, then Super Restore, then Super Attack and Strength. Use your familiar's timer to gauge when to re-pot.

Most of the time, your pony is able to keep up with damage from Waterfiends, but every once in a while, they go on a streak where they take off 30 or so HP in just a few hits. When they do that, use your Sharks or Pineapple Pizzas for healing; do NOT use your brew to heal up unless you have no other choice. In addition to the food that you bring, you can count on Waterfiends dropping 3-5 cooked Sharks over the course of the trip.

Speed Comparison

Using the normal methods, I can get about 75 Crimsons per hour. Using the Piety method, I get around 90 per hour, an increase of roughly 20%. That increased speed comes at a price though. You'll use roughly triple the amount of prayer potions per charm.[/hide]

[hide=Dharoking]*Credits to Qeltar for first suggesting the method.*

The main advantage to this method is speed. It's significantly faster than even piety with Void and a Godsword. Of course there is a tradeoff. You need to use both Piety and Prtection prayers, making it expensive. Also, unlike most things fought with Dharok's, you will still be taking a decent amount of damage. Still, it is, in my opinion, the best way to fight them. Also, (supposedly) it can be done faster without a Unicorn than with one. That said, I still need to test the non-Unicorm version before making any concrete claims or posting a setup.

Gear

DHFiendsGear.jpg

Helm: Dharok's

Neck: Fury >> All

Top: Dharok's

Legs: Dharok's

Weapon: Dharok's Greataxe

Cape: Trimmed Skillcape > Fire Cape > Untrimmed Skillcape/Obsidian Cape

Gloves: Mithril+ RFD Gloves > Combat Bracelet

Ring: Berserker > Explorer

Boots: Dragon > White

Obviously, the full Dharok's set is required for this. As always, Fury is miles ahead of Glory. In this case, I would advise a Trimmed Skillcape over Fire Cape for the extra prayer bonus. You need to use both Piety and protection prayers at all times and therefore it drains very, very fast.

Inventory w/ Unicorn Stallion

DHFiendUniInv.jpg

Teletab

~100 Healing Aura Scrolls

Games Necklace

Unicorn Stallion Pouch

2 Saradomin Brews

2 Super Restores

2 Super Strengths

2 Super Attacks

14 Prayer Potions

2 Pineapple Pizzas

While still at the bank, take 1 sip each of Sara Brew, normal Restore, and pure set, then bank the remaining doses/vials before withdrawing the final inventory and setting out. The Brews are there primarily for the defense boost. Do not use them for Healing unless absolutely necessary.

When fighting, use Protect from Ranged even with your high defense, that is the attack that does the most damage. If you even suggest using Protect from Magic I will sick mutated sea bass on you.

The key to getting fast charms here is to minimize the slow attack speed. That means potting, eating, and collecting drops between attacks. Try to find an area where there are about 3 of them clustered together to maximize speed.

Their max hit is 11, but because of the delay in using scrolls, you'll need to use a scroll once you hit about 15 HP.

Using this method I'm able to get 115-120 Crimsons per hour including banking trips inclusing bank trips.

Inventory w/o Unicorns

*Coming Soon*[/hide]

[hide=Drop Log]Cumulative Charm Drops

Waterfiends Killed: 918

Charms: 104 Gold, 41 Green, 695 Crimson, 21 Blue

Charm Drop Rate*: 94% overall, 76% Crimson

Trip 1 (Ring of Wealth)

Waterfiends Killed: 153

Charms: 17 Gold, 7 Green, 113 Crimson, 5 Blue

Runes: 552 Water, 36 Death, 17 Blood

Other: 2 Ranarrs, Dwarf Weed, 540 Mith Arrows, 4 Raw Sharks, Rune Med, 2 Watermellon Seeds

Charm Drop Rate: 93% overall, 74% Crimson

Trip 2 (Ring of Wealth)

Waterfiends Killed: 148

Charms: 21 Gold, 8 Green, 108 Crimson, 3 Blue

Runes: 322 Water, 72 Death, 22 Blood

Other: 4 Ranarrs, 1 Kwuarm, 5 Raw Sharks, 2 Rune Meds, Water Battlestaff, 720 Mith arrows, Water Orb, Spirit Weed Seed, 2 Watermellon Seeds

Charm Drop Rate: 95% overall, 73% Crimson

Trip 3 (Ring of Wealth)

Waterfiends Killed: 153

Charms: 13 Gold, 7 Green, 121 Crimson, 2 Blue

Runes: 700 Water, 36 Death, 12 Blood

Other: 3 Ranarrs, 3 Water Battlestaves, Rune Med, 4 Watermellon Seeds, 360 Mith Arrows, 8 Water Orbs

Charm Drop Rate: 94%overall, 79% Crimson

Trip 4 (Berserker Ring)

Waterfiends Killed: 168

Charms: 17 Gold, 8 Green, 133 Crimson, 0 Blue

Runes: 782 Water, 18 Death, 22 Blood

Other: 1070 Mith Arrows, 3 Raw Sharks, 4 Water Orbs, Lantadyme, Kwuarm, Dwarf Weed, Rune Med

Charm Drop Rate: 94% overall, 79% Crimson

Trip 5 (Berserker Ring)

Waterfiends Killed: 158

Charms: 19 Gold, 7 Green, 112 Crimson, 8 Blue

Runes: 113 Water, 45 Deaths, 12 Bloods

Other: 7 Water Orbs, 3 Water Battlestaves, Ranarr Seed, 2 Ranarrs, Spirit Weed Seed, 3 Rune Meds, 180 Mith Arrows

Charm Drop Rate: 92% overall, 71% Crimson

Trip 6 (Ring of Wealth)

Waterfiends Killed: 138

Charms: 17 Gold, 4 Green, 108 Crimson, 3 Blue

Runes: 830 Water, 54 Death, 24 Blood

Other: 6 Water Orbs, 2 Sharks, 2 Water Battlestaves, Ranarr, Irit, 920 Mith Arrows, Uncut Ruby, Rune Med

Charm Drop Rate: 96% overall, 78% Crimson

*By charm drop rate I mean the percentage of kills which resulted in charms. i.e., 93% overall, 74% Crimson means that 93% of kills resulted in any charm, 74% of kills resulted in a Crimson charm specifically.[/hide]

Closing Remarks

By no means is this guide ultimate, extensive, or in any other way exhaustive. I understand that everyone has their own preferences, levels and bank account. I hope I've provided adequate information and a good enough starting point that you can determine exactly what works best for you without too much pain and experimentation.

Happy Charm Hunting,

Oxi

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had originally posted this guide to tif before the forums got blown up and was unable to recover that version. This was taken from a different forum and wasn't kept up to date. I tried to update it as much as I could, but I'm sure I missed something.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

Nice guide :thumbsup:

I havent tried this yet but do u think the dragon battleaxe can be good at waterfiends? Using it with the rune defender, u can get a crush attack and str bonus higher than the zammy spear and saradomin sword. Maybe it can be good?

You're off your rocker. Barrelchest anchor is LONGSWORD Speed, IE that of a Flail, and it has the best crush attack bonis in game.

Research thoroughly before making claims, otherwise it's alright. But I'm about to post my guide for waterfiends anyways.

You're off your rocker. Barrelchest anchor is LONGSWORD Speed, IE that of a Flail, and it has the best crush attack bonis in game.

Wrong. It was when it was first released. It got nerfed over a year ago and it's now incredibly slow.

Research thoroughly before making claims, otherwise it's alright. But I'm about to post my guide for waterfiends anyways.

How about you take your own advice please. I've killed enough Waterfiends to go from 68 -> 82 Summoning and experimented with countless setups. What I posted is the result of thorough research I assure you. You, on the other hand, are still only 63 Summoning. You can't even use a Bunyip, which is nearly essential to fight these efficiently, and unless you have a massive amount of charms stocked up that you haven't used there's no way you have anywhere near the experience and amount of research required to write an original guide.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

Well if you did know what you were on about you would knoe it was originally the speed of a whip, but from what ive gathered you merely assume you know about the anchor. And who exactly are you as a player to exclude anyone who hasnt got the access to bunyips? your no bunyip method looks simply like an inventory you threw together and assumed would work well. but then again so does your assumption on a couple of the weapons. the guide as a whole is good, and i admit mine is not as good, however mone is aimed for slayerss, which i did fail to mention specifically. thats also the reason i did not test with void. but your anchorcomment just threw it all off completely. I suggest you actually whip it out and use it before just listening to what everyone else says, ie that its slower, because youre terribly off if you think its godsword speed, and even more horribly wrong to think its slower than THAT even

You, sir, have no idea what you are talking about. Anchor was never Whip speed. It was originally Longsword speed, and slowed down from there.

I do not exclude people without 68 Summoning. That is the inventory I used up 'til I got Bunyips and it worked just fine. The trips were shorter but it was effective nonetheless.

Each weapon listed was tested for a total of 4 hours, and number of kills recorded. I most certainly researched all of my claims thoroughly before writing this guide.

Once again, I suggest you take your own advice and do research before making baseless claims and insults.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

The guide works just fine, since i do slayer i used slayer mask and armadyll skirt, wizard boots instead of karils and d boots, went great, over 100 crimson charms in a run. I suggest to take some high alch stuff, many mith, adamant, rune drops

The guide works just fine, since i do slayer i used slayer mask and armadyll skirt, wizard boots instead of karils and d boots, went great, over 100 crimson charms in a run. I suggest to take some high alch stuff, many mith, adamant, rune drops

Armadyl lowers your attack. :?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Alright, I actually rechecked the speed of the anchor. It is exactly the same as a godsword. I guess the wonky animation threw me off when I said it was slower. That, however, changes nothing. Flail is still a much more effective cheap weapon, and there's still no way you'd ever want to use it.

Obviously if you have these on task, you'll want a black mask or slayer helm. That basically goes without saying. Also, like Laura said, Armadyl lowers your attack bonus. You're really better off using Karil's.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

Nice guide. I'm still not convinced that these are very good for slaying, though.

I just might leave these off of my slayer block list for now though, because I'd like to try getting crimson charms here someday.

dbeastsig2.gif

One day, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Armadyl lowers your attack. :?

The skirt gives me -6 on crush, still at +96 and with slayer mask, well, didn't seem to matter a lot but you're right of course. I also stayed after my prayer was finished, feeding on raw fish with bunyip scrolls, depends on your luck but it gave me another 20 kills, i still had super att and str cause i drink them a bit slower then mentioned. I also used godsword. Not saying all this is best practise, just saying what I did :)

I kept tabs on roughly 1.5k kills each with a Berserker and a Wealth. There was no statistically significant difference in the quality or quantity of charms between the two data sets. I've read the same exact thing from one other person who kept a similar log as well. Conclusion: Ring of Wealth does not effect charm drops at Waterfiends.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

I kept tabs on roughly 1.5k kills each with a Berserker and a Wealth. There was no statistically significant difference in the quality or quantity of charms between the two data sets. I've read the same exact thing from one other person who kept a similar log as well. Conclusion: Ring of Wealth does not effect charm drops at Waterfiends.

One more thing on ROW. I recently read in a slayer guide that ROW only affects rune drops, and not dragon drops. Is it me, or is this complete BS (the guy says that with ROW you get more rune drops and less dragon drops)

Any godsword is just fine there. I used my BGS yesterday because I sold my SGS, and it was fine. You don't need void for it to be effective...

Godswords do work there. It's just that I found other weapons, including Verac's Flail, to work better without Void.

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

oxidation83.png

I just got 79 summon the other day...would using a titan with scrolls be better than bunyip? or are the raw food drops too useful?

Raw food can be very useful yes (you can go a long time without praying sometimes, and mostly you dont have space for the raw sharks so you might as well eat them then).

+ titan scrolls are very expensive for what they heal (not like sara brews but still). Bunyip is free and scrolls are relatively cheap (200 gp for healing 20)

• 3 weeks later...

Great guide man, Waterfiends are quite slow to collect crimsons if you're under 68 Summoning, I'm averaging 31 Crimsons per trip using your <68 Inventory.

Ah well, Bunyip will eventually come ::'

Under the Selecting your armor section, you have torags hammers equipped.... Are Torags Hammers effective down there?

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

One weapon I'm surprised hasn't been brought up is the anchor. I tried it down there twice and both trips blew any trip I did using the SS out of the water :D. The anchor is the most accurate crush weapon as far as I know, and this huge accuracy bonus for crush and the high strength bonus definitely is worth a slight reduction in speed.

Good guide, but the anchor really should be tried out down there :)

Hevendor_Guy.png

rsdeadzm5.png

There's cake through here, apparently.