�Expl0de's Complete Defense Pure Guide v2.0�

Sand_Hill

dpgspoon.png

[hide=Edits]4/19/09 - Revamped Training and Tips sections, along with the Header.

12/22/08 - Added Topaz vs. Dagger info

12/23/08 - New gear pictures, including the Topaz Machete, and reorganization of the gear section

12/23/08 - New XP rates with Red Topaz Machete are much faster!

12/23/08 - New section headers. Enjoy!

12/31/08 - PKing techniques and PVP content

1/15/09 - Small miscellaneous edits[/hide]

[hide=Planned edits][/hide]

[hide=Credits]romy - thanks for the info about Silverlight![/hide]

tableofcontents.png

1. Intro

2. Starting Out

3. Training

4. Experience Rates

5. PVP Strategy

6. Secrets and Tips

intro.png

Welcome to Expl0de's Complete Defense Pure Guide! Most people either a) don't know what a Defense Pure is or B) think Defense Pures are a complete and total waste of time.

I, on the other hand, know that Defense Pures are fun to make as well as very rewarding. Imagine being a level 35 and wearing Barrows armor! Yes, it's possible. A Defense Pure is superb in the Duel Arena and PVP; not so much in Bounty Hunter.

Be aware that they require time and dedication - this isn't something for people who are noncommittal. My goal is to keep this guide concise and rewarding to read. Now, on with the guide!

P.S.: Please post if you read the guide! It will make me feel good about the time I spent writing this thing :)

starting-out.png

There are a few small steps to take before jumping into the game. Take a night and think about a BAMF name - not something like "Def nub 102435436." Be creative and have a name that people will remember. For example, when people think "Defense pure" the name "Defil3d" usually comes to mind (for those who don't know, Defil3d was the first player to get 99 Defense at an extremely low combat level; level 48).

Once you have created your awesome name, complete tutorial island, making sure not to raise Magic or Prayer (this is a big no-no.)

Once you step off Tutorial Island, sell off all your nonessential items (that is pretty much everything) and go to the cow fields east of Lumbridge. Usually, you can find cowhides laying around on the ground from people killing cows. Once your inventory is full, head to Varrock and sell all of the cowhides - you can usually sell at max price less a few coins. Congratulations! You now have enough money to get started.

• [*:15hr7lwd]Buy a set of iron armour, including the full helm and kite shield. In addition to this, buy an iron dagger. You will hit 1's no matter what, so you might as well go for the fastest weapon you can get. You now have two options:

[*:15hr7lwd]Kill Monks in the Monastery north of Barbarian Village OR

[*:15hr7lwd]Head south of Barbarian Village, where there are deposit boxes right next to a cow field. (This means you can camp here as long as you want; pick up and cook cow meat whenever you need to heal)

Either way, you can stay as long as you want because if you talk to a monk, you have the option to be healed by him, or you can cook cow meat as described above. Remember to set your combat style like so:

[hide=]fighting-style-1-1.png[/hide]

If you look closely, you can see that I use a Red Topaz Machete. This has been proven to be the best P2P Defense Pure training weapon.

[hide=]mystats-1.png[/hide]

I find that the ability to hit 3's increases my experience per hour dramatically. This setup is good for those who want to get to high Defense levels, like 80 or maybe 99.

You can stay on these training spots indefinitely, or move on to training in the Stronghold of Security. Once you get a decent defense level (20 should be fine; just bring an inventory of food with you) complete the entire dungeon for an easy 10,000gp. This cash is essential to your ability to get new armor!

Remember to always upgrade your armor and weapons as needed; past level 30 you should no longer need to heal at the low-level monsters I specified above.

training.png

I'm not going to delve into moneymaking at this point; there are plenty of guides out there to help with that. Just remember to bank your cowhides/bones and you should have enough money to buy that shiny set of Rune armor at level 40! :)

Getting from level 1-40 Defense takes quite a while; I will go into exact times later so you don't get discouraged. Do something while you're training like studying, watching TV, or talking with friends over the phone. Please don't sit there and stare at your character hit 0's on the monks. You will get discouraged if you do that.

(Time elapses)

"Congratulations, you have reached 40 Defense!"

Aren't you excited?!? It's a great feeling to walk around and see people go, "A level -- wearing RUNE?!?" Now there are more choices for you:

• [*:15hr7lwd]Try your hand in the Duel Arena! Don't be brokenhearted if you lose because:

[*:15hr7lwd]a superpoisoned dagger is what you win duels with! OR

[*:15hr7lwd]you can keep training at monks in F2P.

However, I highly suggest you buy a few months' membership to make your life as a Pure better. If you do decide to do this, here's what to do:

Go to the Stealing Creation minigame and collect as much clay as you can, making them into catalytic runes or strength potions. They seem to be the most useful to your team. After a game or two (yes, it only takes three games tops) buy a Sacred Clay Platebody. This is better than a Rune Chainbody in almost every stat! Plus, you don't need to do Dragon Slayer to wear it. Here's the best part:

It gives you double the combat experience when you wear it! This means that the meager amount of experience you were getting before level 40 doubles! You might want to invest your time into a Sacred Clay Helm as well, since it uses less points to recharge, so you can get back to training faster.

[hide=My best Stealing Creation score]bestscore.pngKeep in mind this is with NO stats above 20.[/hide]

Training gear:

[hide=F2P Gear]f2pgear.png

Head: Rune Helm (Med or Full)

Torso: Rune Chainbody

Legs: Rune Platelegs

Weapon: Dagger (Iron or steel; steel currently equipped)

Feet: Combat boots[/hide]

(feel free to add a cape and gloves of your choice, or rune full helm; I was just too cheap to buy that stuff)

[hide=P2P Gear]bestp2p.png

New gear info:

I was chatting with one of my Defense Pure friends, and I have come to the conclusion that Red Topaz Machetes are much, much better than even a steel dagger, let alone an iron one. Here's Tip.it's compare-items chart:

daggervstopaz.png

This could have saved me 5 attack levels and a combat level :wall:

But like I said, you will need to use a poisoned dagger for PVP combat.

(again, you might want to modify the bracelet/gloves spot by wearing a combat bracelet, as well as an obsidian cape).[/hide]

exprates.png

Here is the section you probably don't want to see. Unfortunately for Defense Pures, we have little to no strength, so it takes an extremely long time to level up. The rewards, however, outweigh the time spent training.

[hide=Traditional Training]I currently get about 6.7k experience per hour with 5 attack, 10 strength, a Red Topaz Machete, and using the double experience bonus from Stealing Creation. This means that F2P'ers get approximately 2.75k experience per hour.

Total time from 1-40: This step took me about 25 hours, give or take maybe three hours for miscellaneous moneymaking and gathering of supplies.

Calculated time from 40-60: From levels 40 to 60, 236,518 experience is needed. At a rate of 6.7k experience per hour, that is about 35 hours.

Calculated time from 40-70:From levels 40 to 70, 700,403 experience is needed. At a rate of 6.7k experience per hour, that is about 104 hours.

Calculated time from 40-99. Warning: This is not for the faint of heart: From levels 40 to 99, 12,997,207 experience is needed. At a rate of 6.7k experience per hour, that is about 1939 hours.

If you looked at this data and said, "Holy ****!" You would be joining many others. However, a Defense Pure with 60 defense is not as hard to accomplish as you might think. A player could use Super Strength Potions to lighten the load quite a bit. ;-)[/hide]

Another way of training is through Soul Wars. Sand_hill's Estimated Soul Wars leveling times guide!

In summary, to train Defense using solely Soul Wars from level 25-99 it will take,

The outcome:

225 Min Hours

680 Max Hours

452.5 Avg

Note that this does not include XP you get ingame.

pvpstrats.png

So you think you can PVP? Well, let me tell you something...You will be the ultimate PVPer. Defense pures have only two troubles. The first: Pure Mages. High Magic provides Magic Defense; since we have 1 magic, we are open to magic attacks. However, Mages are not common in PVP as kills usually do not cover the cost of a kill using runes.

[hide=PVP Setup]inventory.pngsetup.png[/hide]

The idea with this setup is that it is simple, easy to replace, and if you are not skulled, you still keep your rune platelegs, torso, and shield! The food is more than you will need for several hours' fighting, as you will not get hurt very much at all. The other idea here is that people will underestimate you and attack you first, saving you hassle and items (in the case of your death). This setup works in both PVP and the Duel Arena.

Secondly, Defense Pures face the trouble of people running away too quickly for you to kill them. This is a major trouble that I personally have not found a solution to. Usually, the people you fight die from poison, later, where you cannot find them. :evil:

However, it is not impossible to get good drops - keep this in mind.

My favorite PVP spots are Lumbridge Castle and Varrock square (this is where I can find the most battles, usually.)

secrets.png

Here is the coolest part of the guide: a place where I put all of the tips and I secrets I have accrued from my time playing as a Defense Pure.

• [*:15hr7lwd]Remember to use Super Potions as much as possible! I cannot stress this enough!

[*:15hr7lwd]Try to multitask when training.

[*:15hr7lwd]Once you get to level 40 combat, you can train at Pest Control. I don't have enough data to determine whether or not this is better than training normally with double experience from the Sacred Clay Armour.

[*:15hr7lwd]If you're man enough to get to 75 defense, buy a
Dragonfire Shield! It can deal amazing damage to other players, letting you more effectively PK in PVP worlds or the Duel Arena. Make sure you do not use its special on monsters! It will give you magic experience. Using it on other players yields no experience.

[*:15hr7lwd][hide=romy]May I add something?

The 'Demon Slayer' quest can be very helpful for training, especialy on low levels f2p, I do not know if anyone had ever tried this, or what the experience rate is but, with Silverlight, and 1 Strength, you can hit 3s on demons, I'm guessing you could try to hit the demon until his HP is low, and then walk out and back in, (works best with 1 Attack, as the demon has enough time to regenerate some health before you hit him again).

Also, I assume on higher defence levels you could use this on lesser demons.

And just to clear that out of the way as people tend to read halves of posts, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE EXPERIENCE RATE IS!

Would really like to know what people think of that... :-k :-k :-k 
From me: I got about 1.5k experience per hour. I trained for 15 minutes, then multiplied by 4. So it is much slower than even a dagger. It hits higher, but slower, so unfortunately it isn't really a good weapon to train with. However, this would seem like a good f2p PVP weapon.... :twisted:[/hide]

[*:15hr7lwd]When PVPing, turn off your public chat. People will be calling you a defense noob and other such immature taunts. It's best just to stay focused.

[*:15hr7lwd]When you reach 50 Defense, don't make the same mistake I did! Granite Armour requires 50 Strength in addition to Defense.

[*:15hr7lwd][hide=leeuwenha]
Hey man very nice guide ;)

I got a def pure myself and I think you would want to add this hint/secret:

Playing Soul Wars increases the xp/h a lot! At lvl 54 defence I get 2100 xp / zeal I spend. A game takes 20 minutes and you get 1 zeal if you lose and 3 zeal if you win. That means a minimum of 3 zeal and a maximum of 9 zeal every hour.

I'll do the maths for you ^^:

minimum: 6300xp / hour

maximum: 18900xp / hour!!!!

This also means: No hp xp!

Down side: Xp depends on your defence level.

Be quick though because due to many complaints about low lvls in soul wars there will probably come a minimum lvl and the xp given will probably change too as it's way too much ;)

--Edit--

I'm 58 def now and i now get 2650xp / zeal :)

Hope this helps.

greetz
[/hide]

That concludes my guide. I will edit it as I progress in my training. Thanks for reading! Constructive criticism please. This is my first guide! :)

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

Please don't post on forums whilst inebriated.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post \'

Nice guide!! I have a def pure, only with 20 def though. I'll use your tactics, they are pretty good! Your exp per hour is about the same as mine, I get about 2.5k/hour in f2p. Its good you put the Stealing Creation clay armour in there, thats a good set to use in getting 99 defense with the new updates.

Thanks for the awesome guide! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks! It's not as hard as you'd think once you get into it. Trust me on this; I usually skip around, doing whatever skill comes to mind. But when it comes to training defense on my Pure, I can keep "focused" (as in click every few minutes when an NPC dies) and do homework or study at the same time. It works out pretty well for me and I can get in a solid few hours while getting work done.

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

May I add something?

The 'Demon Slayer' quest can be very helpful for training, especialy on low levels f2p, I do not know if anyone had ever tried this, or what the experience rate is but, with Silverlight, and 1 Strength, you can hit 3s on demons, I'm guessing you could try to hit the demon until his HP is low, and then walk out and back in, (works best with 1 Attack, as the demon has enough time to regenerate some health before you hit him again).

Also, I assume on higher defence levels you could use this on lesser demons.

And just to clear that out of the way as people tend to read halves of posts, I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE EXPERIENCE RATE IS!

Would really like to know what people think of that... :-k :-k :-k

That's a nice, well thought out guide. However, a defence pure is completely useless right? It can't PvP at all and would get owned by mages

Actually, I have been quite successful PKing. I have fought one mage and I won. As long as the person you're fighting doesn't have like 70 mage, you should be fine. Mages generally have low HP, which helps you out since the poison deals 6 damage in addition to your hits.

EDIT: I also forgot about the DFS; this is very crucial to being an amazing Defense pure. If you're man enough to get 75 defense, that is. Let alone the 15m to drop on the shield XD but it's all good. :)

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

That's a nice, well thought out guide. However, a defence pure is completely useless right? It can't PvP at all and would get owned by mages

Actually, I have been quite successful PKing. I have fought one mage and I won. As long as the person you're fighting doesn't have like 70 mage, you should be fine. Mages generally have low HP, which helps you out since the poison deals 6 damage in addition to your hits.

What about my post? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I put you in the guide if you don't mind terribly. :) Section E of the tips and secrets section

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

I put you in the guide if you don't mind terribly. :) Section E of the tips and secrets section

Sure ::' .

Since I went almost immediately into P2P, I completely forgot about Silverlight. I'd imagine it would be great, especially at Lesser Demons in Karamja. Thanks for the suggestion!

Sure, by the way, could you check the experience rate with this?

Since I went almost immediately into P2P, I completely forgot about Silverlight. I'd imagine it would be great, especially at Lesser Demons in Karamja. Thanks for the suggestion!

I got about 1.5k experience per hour. I trained for 15 minutes, then multiplied by 4. So it is much slower than even a dagger. It hits higher, but slower, so it isn't really a good weapon to train with.

Now known as Expl0de.

My Defense Pure Guide

I got about 1.5k experience per hour. I trained for 15 minutes, then multiplied by 4. So it is much slower than even a dagger. It hits higher, but slower, so it isn't really a good weapon to train with.

Sorry then, it was just a theory :P.

By the way, did you check the Demon Slayer demon or lesser demons?

I already finished the quest, so I can't do him. But I will do Lessers once I get to 60 defense. I will definitely put how it goes!

I'm assuming the demon in the quest could get a lot more exp per hour, since his Defence is low.

Hmm...that's a good possibility there. I'm not going to start a new pure just to test that, but I think it's feasible. :thumbsup: nice job man!

Heh, you may not, but I will ;) .

(I'm a girl by the way :? ).

I just had a thought :-k :-k , the vampire from Vampire Slayer cannot die without: a stake, a hammer and some garlic.

So maybe, MAYBE!, it could be used for AFK training, although I don't know if it's legal...

But if it is, you'd also need to be on the higher Defence levels, for he hits hard, and if you're not around it could be bad, also, don't use any armor you're not willing to lose.

Althought JaGeX may have updated it so it wouldn't be possible to AFK train on him, I need confirmations on this though.

In addition, maybe the guards in Al kharid could be used for semi-AFK training, as many of them will attack at once, and they're level 9 so their Defence shouldn't be too high.

This also needs testing :| .