mining, don't do it- waste of time

fireside8

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It takes you two years to get to 85 mining? What are you mining, tin? Rune mining is almost on par with 91 Runecrafting if you can do it perfectly.

On top of that, I actually enjoy mining. Tied with Farming for my third favorite skill. :thumbup:

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Mining is boring like hell. REASON:only one ore per rock. FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Speed of doing something is actually a factor that reduces boredom, and that is why wcing and fishing actually seem easier to train(in fact they ARE easier to train).

I used to mine gold for a bit of cash in f2p but it became to boring, so i just took out the cash i earned from mining gold and bought a huge bunch of iron and coal ore and smith. Smithing to earn money...FASTER than mining?!?!?!?!?!? Smithing was supposed to be a money wasting skill...WHAT THE HELL...

you have severe carpel tunnel syndrome or just nothing to do for the last two years

Teehee my fingers still feel fine and I think my 3.8-4.0 GPA indicates that I had something to do for the last two years ::' (I know when to take breaks)...mining is too much of a misunderstood skill in my opinion. Could use some major reworking but no need to hate it with such a passion in my opinion. I quite appreciate the money I get from it. I don't consider it mere lunch money in F2P. But arguably in members mining may not have much of a purpose considering all the competitively higher paying members skills/items. Mining would get alot more converts if Jagex were devious enough to make their 150th quest have an 85+ mining requirement...he he he. Doubt it would EVER happen though :lol:.

99miningnewsig.gif

~Retired 13-July-2010~

Thanks for the great memories folks :).

I LOVE mining. I spent over 60 hours mining from 71 to get 85, and now I'm close to 86 JUST by runite. It is great steady cash, about 500k an hour with a single ore spot, sometimes more, and is mostly AFK. I will HATE the day that mining becomes easier to train.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Green Dragon Slaying actually beats most skills in terms of making money. I think it beats just about everything except double nat RC at 91.

You can thank skillcapes for that :twss:

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

I agree mining is boring, and powermining is worse... If jagex gave us a "dump all" option, powermining would be about 4x easier.

If you're trying to train mining by coal... don't do it. Train with iron. Its about 4x faster, for 1/2 the xp each. Meaning you have to dump more, but the time between dumps is so much faster.

And smithing the most efficient way by just using bars is a huge money waster. Smelting into bars isn't very time efficient, but it is cheap/makes money.

I could also say - "Cooking, don't do it- waste of time." Most of the time its cheaper to buy the finished product than it is to buy the ingredients (I'm thinking swordfish and lobsters... tuna potatoes not so much).

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Mining is well worth the time and effort. Runite is certainly worth more now than ever, in classic it sold for 10k to 12k, now its around 16k.

Coal is always a good seller, and easy to level on, maybe not at lvl 60, but 70+ is fairly fast.

I went from lvl 72 to 85 in f2p at skele mine in the wild. Sure it took some time, but it was pretty easy to do, and I had a grip of coal when i was finished.

I for one am certainly glad that alot of people are discouraged when trying to get to 85, more runite for us ;) *Joke*

theondar.png

Green Dragon Slaying actually beats most skills in terms of making money. I think it beats just about everything except double nat RC at 91.

Double astrals/cosmics?

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Speed of doing something is actually a factor that reduces boredom, and that is why wcing and fishing actually seem easier to train(in fact they ARE easier to train).

I used to mine gold for a bit of cash in f2p but it became to boring, so i just took out the cash i earned from mining gold and bought a huge bunch of iron and coal ore and smith. Smithing to earn money...FASTER than mining?!?!?!?!?!? Smithing was supposed to be a money wasting skill...WHAT THE HELL...

That's cute.

mining being boring?that's only an opinion.

You can't stop people from training a skill they like(SO I VETO YOUR TITLE NAME).

Of course woodcutting and fishign are easier, you can [bleep] while you do it!(meaning you don't need to click as much).

I LOL'D smithing doesn't make faster cash then mining. Mining is faster unless you shoot yourself ever other ore. and anwaysy smithing isn't ALWAYS a money wasting skill.

Ha. You can almost use that argument for anything. Observe.

WCing is boring like hell. REASON:you sit there and fight others for logs, thereby only getting a couple of logs. FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Fishing is boring like hell. REASON:you have to wait FOREVER to get fish!!! FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Cooking is boring like hell. REASON:you take your raw meat and cook it, with a somewhat large percentage of burning it. FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Smithing is boring like hell. REASON:you have to wait for your character to create the bars and armor, and when you do...FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Thieving is boring like hell. REASON:only one item per pickpocket, and you might get caught! FULL STOP. PERIOD.

Prayer is boring like hell. REASON:only one set of bones are buried per one click. FULL ST--Oh wait, in this case EMPTY STOP, REFILL. PERIOD.

Kinda a dumb argument. The point is that you have to work, no matter what skill you do, and each one will become tedious and boring. It's just up to the player to overcome the boredom and try to outlast it. Fishing Wcing aren't easy, in terms of money making. Fishing takes forever to catch one fish [at times], and Wcing is always competition unless you are at the level at Magic Logs, which is barely competition.

What? You sold your gold, then bought tin and copper and made money. In your case, Smithing was profitable because you gathered the materials yourself, you didn't spend any money... #-o

I love to mine. It always relaxes me, and I meet a lot of new people when I'm mining, have nice conversations...Its very interesting to say the least. :D

Hoping to get a new Signature (with matching avatar) soon. :D

In the meantime...Steam username: )I'll rewrite it later (add me if you want)

Double astrals/cosmics?

Well, thats interesting, but it doesn't disprove the point. Green Dragon slaying beats practically every high level skill in money making, even ones that require an extreme levle of dedication to get. And anyone can walk into the wildy and start killing them whenever they feel like it.

Someone can spend hundreds of hours training their mining to 85, but they will still get only a fraction of the profit of Green Dragons. I think that is nonsense. You can thank the crafting skillcape for that situation.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Yeah!

Lol!

Good points everyone, I wasn't dissing it or anything I mean come on, it's good money if you can mine rune, but until then expect chump change.

Yeah sure, gold and addy make decent profit sure.

Im actually mining rune essence, I'm gonna ine rune essence till 99! Thats 6 trillion, fivehundred and 69 rune essence. Only 7 years to go!

WOot!

Nice thread all

Even at 60 mining with the guild coal is slow.

And the road to 60 is long and painful

The road to 85 even longer, and rune isn't that valuable anymore.

Better off with another skill for mass money

1) And the road to 60 is long and painful:

Really? I found leveling mining to 60 to be rather interesting. There are many different paths to take, and mining spots to explore. I'd recommend taking your time to explore the skill yourself rather than just follow the dreadfully dull power-training techniques.

I myself started, on bronze and tin, moved on to iron at lvl 15, and silver at lvl 20. Lvl 25 and up was a mix of silver, iron, and eventually coal up to 40, in which gold joined the mix. 55 and up has been mostly mining/superheating mithril bars in the Mining Guild, and more recently mining/superheating adamantite bars at the gnome stronghold.

My path to 60 was far from the most efficient path available, but it was fun.

2) The road to 85 even longer:

I have been playing for less than two months, and my mining is already at lvl 74. It will take me a while yet to get to lvl 85, but not 'forever'. Its a road made easier if you don't burn yourself out on silly power-leveling.

3) and rune isn't that valuable anymore

The ore is currently selling at 17k.

4) Better off with another skill for mass money

Perhaps. But one shouldn't depend on a single skill anyway. When I feel like relaxing and thinking while I play, I choose mining. When I feel like reading forums or other sites online, I choose a more afk-friendly skill, like woodcutting.

5) Even at 60 mining with the guild coal is slow

And that is why coal is still worth as much as it is (~170 gp). Besides, Mining Guild is better used for superheating mithril. If you want just coal, use the coal trucks, and teleport to Camelot when you are done (less walking/running done between rocks).

Double astrals/cosmics?

Well, thats interesting, but it doesn't disprove the point. Green Dragon slaying beats practically every high level skill in money making, even ones that require an extreme levle of dedication to get. And anyone can walk into the wildy and start killing them whenever they feel like it.

Someone can spend hundreds of hours training their mining to 85, but they will still get only a fraction of the profit of Green Dragons. I think that is nonsense. You can thank the crafting skillcape for that situation.

Are you implying that 400k per hour is consistent no matter what your combat level is? That the rate doesn't change from 60 combat to 138 combat?

I can get 59 Runecrafting before you can get the melee stats required to make 400k per hour at green dragons. 85 mining makes two to three times as much per hour as green dragons for less work. You're making very exaggerated claims.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Green dragon bore me. They are annoying and a hassle. Runite mining is easy and AFK'able, and consistent with money. I grab a pick, slap on my mourner's, and go. Not to complex.

Oh, and addy mining is very profitable, even in FTP, especially if you super-heat it. Yes, mining is hard to train, but you pay for the rewards. Getting 85 was one of the best choices I made in RS.

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.